Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is ESO more than a grind?

yexac
yexac
I recently quit OSRS and aren't looking for a game that's just another pointless grind. I'm probably asking the wrong source here, but what is there in ESO PvE wise to do? I'm only VR2 on my highest character and noticed I've done nothing in the game except grind. I'm not interested in chaotic gear/stat based open world PvP so that means the only potentially redeeming factor for me in ESO is PvE and end game challenge.

So what precisely is there to do once I hit VR16 that's not running around questing, crafting gear or farming gold for max gear? I feel good gear should only be obtainable through raiding and challenging content, not buyable or craftable. From what I've read there seems to be little reason to reach VR16 and get geared up, as getting geared up is little more than a grind.

TL;DR: So far I've done mob grinding, main quests and run around for mage guild books/skyshards. What's the point to all this? To get to some epic PvE based end game that's challenging or to continue grinding for gear?
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's the Maelstrom arena, and Thieves Guild will be introducing new Trials. TBH, as a PVPer I have no idea what you guys do all day xD
    Like, is there a PVE "end game"? Or is it just dungeon after dungeon?
  • yexac
    yexac
    Alucardo wrote: »
    There's the Maelstrom arena, and Thieves Guild will be introducing new Trials. TBH, as a PVPer I have no idea what you guys do all day xD

I love PvP, but don't like Zerg v Zerg PvP and playing pony simulator for hours to find decent fights. I'm honestly just looking for a chill PvE game for the most part anyway.
  • kkravaritieb17_ESO
    kkravaritieb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    PvP is just a *** lagfest atm i dont understand why people even bother on primetime anymore.
    Member of the glorious Zerg Squad
    Rip Banana Squad

Lheneth -- Sorc PvP Rank 31
    Ellynna -- Templar PvP Rank 50 (No Bleaker's roleplaying involved)
    Smellynna -- Templar PvP Rank 28
    and many other chars

• Morozov
    Morozov
    ✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

holy hell, I wonder the EXACT SAME THING!

what do PVE'rs do? is it just a RP guild under a PVE-raid guild exterior? Do they grind dungeons all day with hopes of a divines monster helm? Do they go into tavern's and take off their clothes and type /dance for monies? Do they rerun vet DSA with the hopes of shaving 1 second off their best time?

so....many.....questions!
    AD
    Victorem
    PC - NA - AZ
    Vr 16: Morozov - DK
    Vr 1: Zephyr Grimm - Sorc
    Vr 5: Sad_Bunnie - Templar
    23: Repressed-Canadian-Rage - NB
    Voted "Most likely to squirrel off the crown" PC-NA
  • yexac
    yexac
    So I take it there's nothing since no one gave me a reply that makes grinding to VR16 look like it'll net me more than 10 hours of content once I get there.

So far ESO doesn't feel like an MMO. I can't stand when I see other players because they're normally in a 2 man group fighting over the mobs I'm grinding. An MMO shouldn't make you rue the sight of other players.
  • Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    ✭✭✭✭
    It depends what exactly you like about PvE.. I personally can't find enough time in a play session to do all the things I want to do.

First, theres many dungeons which have both normal and veteran versions which are endlessly playable (to me). This is because of the super rare gear you can get out of them and the fact that I just plain like running dungeons.

Then there are Trials, currently three of them. Although they are lower than the level cap they are still challenging its incredibly fun to run these with a group of 12 people. Again there is cool gear to get out of there.

There's Dragonstar Arena which I assure you will give you a challenge on Veteran mode. This is also endlessly playable.

Maelstrom Arena is very fun and there is cool gear to be earned from there (including jewelry sets!). The Vet version is currently the hardest thing to do in the game and gives you amazing rewards (if you're lucky).

As a caveat, I also PvP quite a bit and I think in time you will probably like to try it because it is just damn fun! These are all the reasons why I say I can't find enough time in a play session to do everything I wanna do lol.
    N64 NA EP
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In your post you say you don't want to PVP, play quests, grind dungeons or craft.

I might therefore respectfully recommend to you another game, like Minecraft, Q-Bert or Super Mario Paint. Yes, the answer is sarcastic, but that was because the question was bad. There's lots and lots and lots to do in ESO, but if you don't like playing the world go find another game.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The grind is everywhere
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    yexac wrote: »
    So far ESO doesn't feel like an MMO. I can't stand when I see other players because they're normally in a 2 man group fighting over the mobs I'm grinding. An MMO shouldn't make you rue the sight of other players.

If you are grinding mobs, you aren't playing the PvE content that's there. There is a ton of quest related content in the game. If you don't want to quest, don't want to PvP and don't like dungeons and trails, this is probably the wrong game for you.
  • yexac
    yexac
    NBrookus wrote: »

If you are grinding mobs, you aren't playing the PvE content that's there. There is a ton of quest related content in the game. If you don't want to quest, don't want to PvP and don't like dungeons and trails, this is probably the wrong game for you.

I've tried about 8 dungeons so far. A friend and I ran through all of them duo without much trouble.

It's not like I want to grind, but it's the most effective way I can find to get to VR 16, which is where the game will actually start for me.
  • yexac
    yexac
    It depends what exactly you like about PvE.. I personally can't find enough time in a play session to do all the things I want to do.

First, theres many dungeons which have both normal and veteran versions which are endlessly playable (to me). This is because of the super rare gear you can get out of them and the fact that I just plain like running dungeons.

Then there are Trials, currently three of them. Although they are lower than the level cap they are still challenging its incredibly fun to run these with a group of 12 people. Again there is cool gear to get out of there.

There's Dragonstar Arena which I assure you will give you a challenge on Veteran mode. This is also endlessly playable.

Maelstrom Arena is very fun and there is cool gear to be earned from there (including jewelry sets!). The Vet version is currently the hardest thing to do in the game and gives you amazing rewards (if you're lucky).

As a caveat, I also PvP quite a bit and I think in time you will probably like to try it because it is just damn fun! These are all the reasons why I say I can't find enough time in a play session to do everything I wanna do lol.

I tried PvP. I can never like it because I'm competitive when it comes to versing other players and there's nothing competitively balanced about open world/gear/stat based chaotic laggy ass PvP, sorry. If you enjoy it more power to you, but I have standards I can't break if I wanted to.
  • yexac
    yexac
    davey1107 wrote: »
    In your post you say you don't want to PVP, play quests, grind dungeons or craft.

I might therefore respectfully recommend to you another game, like Minecraft, Q-Bert or Super Mario Paint. Yes, the answer is sarcastic, but that was because the question was bad. There's lots and lots and lots to do in ESO, but if you don't like playing the world go find another game.

I meant if the whole game is grinding gold, crafting and running the same easy mode dungeons I'm not interested. I'm not going to find the answer I want here, I'll go to less biased forums.
  • Slappah
    Slappah
    ✭✭✭
    You want a not biased answer?

This isn't the game for you. Honestly, straight up no bs, this is not the game for you.

If you don't like questing, you don't like crafting, you don't like cyrodiil, and you don't like the pve content, Idk what else to say.

A big part of this game is the journey 1-v16. Take your time and actually read and pay attention to the quests. They are enjoyable, all voice acted well. They are interesting and if you actually pay attention and not click through everything WoW style you'll enjoy yourself a lot more.

Explore. The zones are big and there's a lot of stuff to do in them. World bosses, world events (dolmens), lorebooks.

Read the books. Seriously, they add a lot and can be really interesting and a lot of the time even pretty funny.
    Take in the scenery.

Public dungeons, public delves, skyshard hunting, fishing.

1-v16 is only a grind if you make it out to be one. If you actually take the time to enjoy the ride and listen to the quests it's not so much of a grind as it is just an enjoyable experience.

Once you hit v16 then the grind can begin through trying to get the best gear sets, whether they be dropped in daily pledges, vet dungeons, or maelstrom arena, or even crafted.
    Grinding champion points (although I wouldn't say CPs are a grind unless you absolutely want to grind them out to max, it's more of a way of having consistent progression while just doing whatever you want in game)

If you don't want to quest, you don't want to do daily pledges, you don't want to steal and get gold from that or do pvp or any of the other many things there are to do then tough luck. Go find a different game.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I've tried about 8 dungeons so far. A friend and I ran through all of them duo without much trouble.

It's not like I want to grind, but it's the most effective way I can find to get to VR 16, which is where the game will actually start for me.

The journey to V16 is most of the game. If you don't enjoy that ride, you are better off finding another game.
  • yexac
    yexac
    Slappah wrote: »
    You want a not biased answer?

This isn't the game for you. Honestly, straight up no bs, this is not the game for you.

If you don't like questing, you don't like crafting, you don't like cyrodiil, and you don't like the pve content, Idk what else to say.

A big part of this game is the journey 1-v16. Take your time and actually read and pay attention to the quests. They are enjoyable, all voice acted well. They are interesting and if you actually pay attention and not click through everything WoW style you'll enjoy yourself a lot more.

Explore. The zones are big and there's a lot of stuff to do in them. World bosses, world events (dolmens), lorebooks.

Read the books. Seriously, they add a lot and can be really interesting and a lot of the time even pretty funny.
    Take in the scenery.

Public dungeons, public delves, skyshard hunting, fishing.

1-v16 is only a grind if you make it out to be one. If you actually take the time to enjoy the ride and listen to the quests it's not so much of a grind as it is just an enjoyable experience.

Once you hit v16 then the grind can begin through trying to get the best gear sets, whether they be dropped in daily pledges, vet dungeons, or maelstrom arena, or even crafted.
    Grinding champion points (although I wouldn't say CPs are a grind unless you absolutely want to grind them out to max, it's more of a way of having consistent progression while just doing whatever you want in game)

If you don't want to quest, you don't want to do daily pledges, you don't want to steal and get gold from that or do pvp or any of the other many things there are to do then tough luck. Go find a different game.

"A big part of this game is the journey 1-v16. Take your time and actually read and pay attention to the quests. They are enjoyable, all voice acted well. They are interesting and if you actually pay attention and not click through everything WoW style you'll enjoy yourself a lot more.

"

Thanks, but Skyrim and standard RPG games do this better.

I don't know if I'll like the PvE at VR 16. I really enjoyed SWTOR back pre 2.0 and a little after because the PvP was a fun side thing to do and was arena based along with the PvE which had challenging NiM content that offered higher tier mods than what you could get by doing daily FPs and SM-HM raids.

So what you're telling me is if I've already gone through 7 or 8 instanced group dungeons duo and didn't find it challenging or fun then there's not much more at VR16 and beyond?
  • Slappah
    Slappah
    ✭✭✭
    I already told you this isn't the game for you

So yes, that's exactly what I'm saying
  • yexac
    yexac

The journey to V16 is most of the game. If you don't enjoy that ride, you are better off finding another game.

There is no journey to V16, it's moving from one grind spot to another and taking breaks to play horse sim to find books and skyshards or catch up on the main story, which was okay. If the whole game is just grinding to max level then it's truly as pointless as OSRS. Hell, I'd rather spend the time in OSRS I'm already over half way to max.
  • Slappah
    Slappah
    ✭✭✭

There is no journey to V16, it's moving from one grind spot to another and taking breaks to play horse sim to find books and skyshards or catch up on the main story, which was okay. If the whole game is just grinding to max level then it's truly as pointless as OSRS. Hell, I'd rather spend the time in OSRS I'm already over half way to max.

It's only a grind if you make it a grind

You obviously don't enjoy questing so ofc getting to v16 won't be fun for you
  • Lil_Willie
    Lil_Willie
    ✭✭✭
    Its a grind
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vr 2, huh. can I have your stuff? I have leveled five toon three more to go. For you there is always pinball machines. You must really be a pvp er at heart though. Come to forums to complain about doing what is done in every mmo since they started.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Feisty_Khajiit128
    Feisty_Khajiit128
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS really needs to buff quest xp. I could grind for 12 seconds and get 7.5k xp, or I could quest for 5-15 minutes and get the same thing.
    I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee...

Khajiit Nightblade- V15
    Imperial Templar- V1
    Altmer Sorc- Lvl 28
    Dunmer Nightblade- Lvl 19 (WIP)
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS really needs to buff quest xp. I could grind for 12 seconds and get 7.5k xp, or I could quest for 5-15 minutes and get the same thing.

THIS!!! I remember when I got to V13 the first time, went with a group to Craglorn, did all the quests in 2 days and was half a rank up... Half a rank XP for ALL the Craglorn quests! Could grind that whole rank in 15 minutes or less.
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • Lolssi
    Lolssi
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, but Skyrim and standard RPG games do this better.
    Sure single-player rpgs usually do this better, however ESO tops every Bethesda rpg from Fallout 3 onward with story, quests and how the world changes.
    Also playing silver and haven't grinded yet once in this game.

Edited by Lolssi on February 3, 2016 12:15PM
  • puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    It is a grind no way about it. joining a pvp or pve guild will help and who the hell reads all the lore books? jesus...
    in the end it is all about getting geared up and most V16's end up in cyrodill when the are done with the dailys.
    There is NO endgame PvE or instanced progression other than Orsinium which will last you about a week and IC is dead now so yeah we are waiting for more content and a better ***%ing Group Finder that actually works with your level.

Other than that it is great!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    THIS!!! I remember when I got to V13 the first time, went with a group to Craglorn, did all the quests in 2 days and was half a rank up... Half a rank XP for ALL the Craglorn quests! Could grind that whole rank in 15 minutes or less.

Craglorn Exp was nerfed big time no long after release. People were going up there and grinding out levels. For some reason, ZOS did not want that, so they nerfed the exp. Recently the exp was buffed, but still not at the levels it was before. And, it is certainly not in line with any other zone.

Now, good news is, if you want some decent exp from questing, then go to Wrothgar. I leveled a character from VR12 to VR15 just doing the quests up there. I have done 20 World Boss dailies and 8 Delve dailes and little Public Dungeon grinding on this one. In fact, I think he still has to get those achievements.

And, the Public Dungeons in Wrothgar are far better than any other PDs in game for experience, so those are good to do. Although they did increase the exp in the PDs for the other parts of the game, I just don't know how good it is as all my characters are overleveled now for those. I just hope they don't come along and nerf this too. However I think the paradigm has shifted with the Devs now. Maybe they don't view grinding as such a terrible thing anymore.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Lolssi
    Lolssi
    ✭✭✭
    puffy99 wrote: »
    It is a grind no way about it. joining a pvp or pve guild will help and who the hell reads all the lore books? jesus...
    I try to read them all unless I seem to remember them from earlier games. There are so many though that I often have no idea if I've read it or not. I just hate those pesky mobs that interrupt my reading session :D

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lolssi wrote: »
    I try to read them all unless I seem to remember them from earlier games. There are so many though that I often have no idea if I've read it or not. I just hate those pesky mobs that interrupt my reading session :D

Yep, those pesky mobs interuppting my reading time.

The Eidetic Memory part of the Journal will store any book you read or just access in the game. You can read them later at your leisure, or at least when the mobs are not around.

I am not sure if you have to unlock this with the Mages Guild questline or that part is just for the Mages Lore Books.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I recently quit OSRS and aren't looking for a game that's just another pointless grind. I'm probably asking the wrong source here, but what is there in ESO PvE wise to do? I'm only VR2 on my highest character and noticed I've done nothing in the game except grind. I'm not interested in chaotic gear/stat based open world PvP so that means the only potentially redeeming factor for me in ESO is PvE and end game challenge.

So what precisely is there to do once I hit VR16 that's not running around questing, crafting gear or farming gold for max gear? I feel good gear should only be obtainable through raiding and challenging content, not buyable or craftable. From what I've read there seems to be little reason to reach VR16 and get geared up, as getting geared up is little more than a grind.

TL;DR: So far I've done mob grinding, main quests and run around for mage guild books/skyshards. What's the point to all this? To get to some epic PvE based end game that's challenging or to continue grinding for gear?

Um,.you dont want to do anything that the game was created for? Questing?Crafting? Man,..I cant tell you anything you would like other than dungeons.
    puffy99 wrote: »
    in the end it is all about getting geared up and most V16's end up in cyrodill when the are done with the dailys.
    There is NO endgame PvE or instanced progression other than Orsinium which will last you about a week and IC is dead now so yeah we are waiting for more content and a better ***%ing Group Finder that actually works with your level.

Other than that it is great!

No,it isnt all about the gear for a whole lot of us.It is about the game,the lore,quests,etc.Not just about endgame gear and getting to the highest level possible.
    Edited by Volkodav on February 8, 2016 4:11AM
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this a joke? So the whole reason to play a mmo is to grind out xp until you are max level just to do some dungeons that are challenging to get some gear get bored and move on to another game. That is a very shallow experience. Endgame is a myth in mmo there is no such thing as a definite endgame. If your rush through the game trying to get to level cap and expect the game to start for you you are going to be disappointed every time. The point of a mmo is to enjoy what ever the setting is with friends and other people. When you make it out the tutorial area that is when the game starts, if you rush through that just to get to endgame then you basically waste your money because rush through the actual game.
  • Nyteshade
    Nyteshade
    ✭✭✭
    When did MMORPG's become all about the rush to end game?

It must have to do with WoW.

I don't know about this instant gratification crowd....what is the rush? There ought to be some rule, you can't play a new online MMO until you play pen and paper D&D for a month straight so folks learn what an RPG is.

Someone above wants more quest XP. My goodness I outlevel the quests the way it is.

Here's how things go.

1. Buy new MMO
    2. Power grind mobs and get max level in a week or two.
    3. Power grind content and get gear in another week or two.
    4. Come to forums and complain that the company sucks, game is garbage.
    5. Quit game but still come to forums for the next year and complain about a game you don't play.

/facepalm.

To the OP. Yes, this game is not for you. Your mindset, and the one I describe above, is not really an MMORPG mindset.
    Maybe you should try first person shooters or find a game with arena pvp, like GW2 or something.