Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crafting and several other game related questions

sinbinner
sinbinner
Hi all. I've been playing for a few weeks now and have gotten my templar to VR2. I've gotten provisioning to 50 and wanted to start working on other tradeskills as well. From what I have read online it sounds as if it is best to split up tradeskills between mutliple characters. And since I have only used quest/dropped gear up to this point I will either have to craft to get better gear or buy it from other players. I feel that I am at a point in the game where I need to start new characters and start leveling them and leveling my tradeskills on those so I will be able to outfit my main character. I've spent so much time on playing solo I've ended up socially stunted in this MMO and unsure where and how to find newbie friendly people to help me grow with in the game other than to start over and create a new character and start trying to group up for everything. Any ideas would be most welcome.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sinbinner wrote: »
    Hi all. I've been playing for a few weeks now and have gotten my templar to VR2. I've gotten provisioning to 50 and wanted to start working on other tradeskills as well. From what I have read online it sounds as if it is best to split up tradeskills between mutliple characters. And since I have only used quest/dropped gear up to this point I will either have to craft to get better gear or buy it from other players. I feel that I am at a point in the game where I need to start new characters and start leveling them and leveling my tradeskills on those so I will be able to outfit my main character. I've spent so much time on playing solo I've ended up socially stunted in this MMO and unsure where and how to find newbie friendly people to help me grow with in the game other than to start over and create a new character and start trying to group up for everything. Any ideas would be most welcome.

You can have a new character or if you get enough skill points have all crafting on one, but either way woodworking, blacksmithing, and clothing should be on the same crafter so only one character needs to learn the rare motifs. There are newbie friendly and helper guilds, and if you cannot find them in-game there is a place to find guilds here on the forum. If you find one they can craft cheap items with the traits your character(s) need to learn.

Guild Recruitment by Platform/Server:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/en-pc-mac-na
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/en-pc-mac-eu
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/en-xbox-one-na
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/en-xbox-one-eu
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/en-ps4-na
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/en-ps4-eu

Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • sinbinner
    sinbinner
    I was unsure if I could do woodworking, clothing, and blacksmithing on the same character because of the possiblity of running out of skill points. I've read several things on this, but none sounded absolute that you could do 3 craftingskills and not gimp yourself. As for the guild forums, lol I did give that a try with no luck. People like to read the posts, but not many like to post on them.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I second putting all your equipment crafting on one character for the Motifs.

I also think it is better to have at some point, one character that has mastered all the crafts. Sure, other characters can also cook or make potions etc, and it's nice to have lots of L3 Hirelings so having characters that have some skills in crafting is good, even if they are not active crafters.

You need 122 Skill point to max all craft skills, 12 of which you can buy back once you finish all your trait research in a year. Plus what ever you need for Keen Eye in the various lines (I only do Alchemy and Clothier). Then add in the points you need to achieve some basic deadliness for farming purposes, if your going to farm with the crafter and you know how far you have to level a character to be a master crafter.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    sinbinner wrote: »
    I was unsure if I could do woodworking, clothing, and blacksmithing on the same character because of the possiblity of running out of skill points. I've read several things on this, but none sounded absolute that you could do 3 craftingskills and not gimp yourself. As for the guild forums, lol I did give that a try with no luck. People like to read the posts, but not many like to post on them.

Starting out, you are somewhat starved for SPs, but it gets better. My main had all 6 crafts + werewolf maxxed out without any of the pvp skillpoints and was still an effective tank. Couldn't do much else, though, so I dropped WW plus alchemy to add more damage skills. If she had extra pvp skillpoints, I could have kept everything.

Whether you spend the skillpoints or not, level up each skill by deconstructing loot and glyphs, or in the case of alchemy by making potions and then vendor trashing them. Then at any point if you want to unlock a craft, you can right away. No need to grind it up then.

And start researching traits if you plan to craft, even if you can't afford to allocate the SPs to the 2nd and 3rd research slots yet. It takes about a year to finish researching all 9 traits, and there's no way to rush it.
  • Vonovosi
    Vonovosi
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry about not having enough skill points. by the time you get to max level you will have 300 or more skill points if you get them all. more than enough to do whatever crafting you want as well as master all the skills you need to play the game. The most important thing in equipment crafting as noted above is researching traits. As they progressively take longer and longer to learn, start researching them as soon as possible. Don't worry about finding people to help you, this game has a very supportive playerbase. my advice is to join a trading guild. They typically are large and full of players who are active crafters. If you want to get a piece of gear for research it is usually just a question of shouting out in guild chat to get it for very low cost or for free. Remember you can join up to 5 player guilds so take advantage of that resource. I would not recommend putting more than 1 point in keen eye passive, but I spend it in each of the skill lines. It makes finding matts a lot easier. Last thing I would recommend is to make your equipment crafter an imperial if you have that option, that way you do not have to invest in an Imp. motif and you can sell any ones that you find. one nice thing about having all equipment crafting on 1 alt is that you do not have to swap out to make clothing, woodworking and blacksmithing items when you are crafting.
    Edited by Vonovosi on January 20, 2016 7:37AM
    VR16 Khajiit Stamina Nightblade=DPS-(AD)-PC NA-Kuwabatake Sanjuro
    VR16 Breton Sorcerer-DPS/Healer-(DC)-PC NA-Charles Baudelaire
    VR16 Altmer Sorcerer=DPS/Healer-(AD)-PC NA-Lottie Millhaven
    VR16 Dunmer Dragonknight-Tank-(EP)-PC NA=Cthulhu Hllalu
    VR16 Imperial Dragonknight-Tank-(AD)-PC NA-Leeroy Jhenkins
    VR16 Breton Magicka Templar-Healer/DPS-(AD)-PC NA- Nina Hagen
    VR16 Altmer Magicka Nightblade-DPS-(AD)-PC NA-J R Bob Dobbs
    LVL39 Redguard Stamina Templar-Tank-(DC)-PC NA-Wesley Willis