Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Questions about group dungeons and levels

SecretAtoz
SecretAtoz
✭✭✭
I've been skipping group dungeons cause finding a party takes a while, but I forgot they rewards skill points. I am planning to do them if I can.

I have some questions:
First, the group dungeon will scale off from the party leader, yes?
Second, I haven't done any group dungeons and I will be at a higher level for some of them, how will my level and stats affect the party members and myself as a party member?
Third, is it always recommended to have a tank in the group or having 3 dps and a healer will be sufficient? Maybe an off-tank will do?

Thanks in advance.
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you put a group together using the grouping tool the dungeon scales to v16 and your party scales to v15. Equipment drops you receive will be relevant to your actual level (if your lv40 you'll get lv40 gear drops)

If you put a group together by manually inviting your party members then the dungeon will scale to the party leader. Equipment drops will be approximate to the level of the dungeon. If your 5+ levels over what the dungeon is scaled to (your lv30 and the dungeon's scaled to lv22) you will not receive loot or experience. Veteran level players are considered lv50 when it comes to the five level rule, so as long as what your fighting is at least lv45 your still eligible to receive loot and experience.

A tank isn't necessarily always required but a good tank can make things a lot easier. It really depends on just what dungeon your trying to do as well as how experienced and well geared the people in your group are. Three capable dps and a healer can get the job done with most if not all non vet difficulty dungeons. You may wipe occasionally but it can be done.
    Edited by Fruitmass on January 19, 2016 4:01AM
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • SecretAtoz
    SecretAtoz
    ✭✭✭
    @Fruitmass Thanks for answering. Do players ever use grouping tool? I have no luck using it, I think it is best to search a party using zone chat.
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aye people use it (I'll use it at least once a day to finish pledges myself) but depending on your role and whether your playing during off hours or prime time it may take a while. With my healer I can usually get in fairly quickly but as a dps, yeah, I've had instances where it could take an hour or more to get a group.

Ultimately both methods have their ups and downs. Which you choose to use is a matter of preference for which you feel works best for you. And you can always use both by forming a partial group and then using the grouping tool to fill in for who's missing.

Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some additional info for you.

Group dungeons will scale to the level of the group leader, but not in the following circumstances:
    1. If the level of the group leader is below the minimum level of the dungeon (so if the minimum level for that dungeon is 40 and the group leader is level 30 all of the enemies will scale to 40 rather than 30)
    2. If the group is formed with the LFG tool (in this case the dungeon will scale to VR16 and all group members who are lower than VR16 will be scaled up to VR16)

And @Fruitmass is correct that your wait time in the LFG tool depends greatly on your role. A tank using the tool to find a group for the day's pledge dungeon will typically find a group almost instantly. A healer doing the same has it almost as good. A DPS will have a much longer wait.

If you're doing non-vet dungeons and everyone in the group has a decent amount of experience in group dungeons, and a decent build, then you can easily get by with 3 DPS and a healer for probably all of them. If the group members are new to dungeons or don't have very good builds, then going with the standard 1 tank 1 healer 2 DPS setup will make things easier.

For the majority of vet dungeons, unless your group is very experienced (preferably experienced playing with each other) you definitely want a tank a healer and 2 DPS.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SecretAtoz wrote: »
    I've been skipping group dungeons cause finding a party takes a while, but I forgot they rewards skill points. I am planning to do them if I can.

Once you get a group formed and you think you are doing well, remember, you can travel to other group dungeons in other alliances and do those. Just zoom out on the map and you will see the other group dungeons like you do the wayshrines. Once you finish a dungeon at a certain level, you can port other dungeons at the same level. Or, if you talk to the Undaunted NPCs in each main town, they will discover group dungeons for you.

Also, note, most Group Dungeons have a Blue Lore Book if your trying to level the Mages Guild, so look for those while you are in there.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"