The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Building a PC for ESO

Jorotarr
Jorotarr
✭✭
So I have decided to build a PC for Elder Scrolls Online, here's a link to the build on PC Part Picker.

This is my first time building a computer. I have only previously installed RAM and a video card on a store bought computer... about a decade ago. Primarily I am building this for ESO, as well as future MMOs such as Chronicles of Elyria and EQNext if it isn't vaporware. I would also like to go back and play past TES games, and past Dragon Age games since I loved Inquisition so much. I have a 6 month old touch screen laptop for all of my personal needs.

I started this build as a base from Lifehacker, and I have already read several building guides for those new to building their own computer. I want this to be future proof for at least 3 years or so, and while I want to run great settings with good FPS, I am not a number cruncher by any means. I may tinker with overclocking one day, but not initially after building this PC. I am debating using my 42" smart tv I got last year with a 60hz refresh, or setting up a monitor and speakers in my study room on the desk. I am trying to stay in around $1,500.

Does this look like a solid build before I order everything? Is there any advice, or anything I need to know before fulfilling a childhood dream of building my own gaming system? Are there any special tools or screwdrivers I need? Do the parts come with screws? Will I need something besides a HDMI cable if I use a monitor instead of my TV? Should I have a CPU cooler or sound card? Are there any recommended tutorials or guides you would suggest?

Thanks for any and all help! :)
  • Valen_Byte
    Valen_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Looks good. Only thing I would do is see if you can get some memory that is faster than 1600. Other than that, looks good.
    ***Dixon Kay MagDK FORMER EMPEROR***Deca Dix MagDK FORMER EMPORER***Valonious MagPlar FORMER EMPEROR***
    GM of BYTE
    MAY YOUR DEATHS BE SWIFT, AND YOUR LOAD SCREENS LONG.
    And alien tears will fill for him, Pity’s long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joromarr wrote: »
    Does this look like a solid build before I order everything? Is there any advice, or anything I need to know before fulfilling a childhood dream of building my own gaming system? Are there any special tools or screwdrivers I need? Do the parts come with screws? Will I need something besides a HDMI cable if I use a monitor instead of my TV? Should I have a CPU cooler or sound card? Are there any recommended tutorials or guides you would suggest?

It went through this a few years ago and was really proud of myself.... but once it was done ! During the process I often considered throwing the whole thing out of the window and joining a monastery ;-)

Joke apart : a few "tips" :
    - you need small screwdrivers (they provide the screws but that's all)
    - you could use medical gloves or anything that can stop static electricity which can damage the parts
    - if you have a cat, ask someone to take care of it and keep it out of the room (don't know about dogs but the same could apply). Cats just LOVE to play around and mess the screws and stuff... and yes you're going to stand in a middle of a sea of screws, small parts and wires that all look the same but are all different
    - don't expect anything from manuals. They make so sense, at least not for the newbie. You might, however, if you're lucky, find an online video of someone who's building a computer with the same motherboard (that's what matters, the rest is quite straightforward).
    - It's hard to know when a part has to fit instantly without effort or when you have to force it a bit...
    - don't start if you have limited time : plan the entire week-end and warn your loved ones that you won't be available... and don't rush.
    - Do not open all the boxes at once and mix up their content.
    - Brew patience potions and use them
    - try to organize the internal wires properly. Looks like it doesn't matter but you will thank yourself later when you'll open the case for cleaning and changing a part.

When you'll finally be done and your software up and running, you'll be proud and happy that you'll finally know what your rig really has in its belly. And you'll have a better machine for your money.

Good luck ! :-)

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on January 10, 2016 9:08PM
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hardware doesn't seem to matter that much with ESO. Decent i7 processor would be nice but most of all get a decent router! Unfortunately the best PC in the world won't be getting good FPS in Cyrodiil or some dungeons atm sadly.
    PC EU
  • Jorotarr
    Jorotarr
    ✭✭
    Valen_Byte wrote: »
    Looks good. Only thing I would do is see if you can get some memory that is faster than 1600. Other than that, looks good.

OK, I switched from G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1600 to G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2x8) DDR3-2133 for less than $10 more, and it still is compatible with all my other parts. The 2400 had an incompatibility check.
    - you need small screwdrivers (they provide the screws but that's all)
    - you could use medical gloves or anything that can stop static electricity which can damage the parts
    - if you have a cat, ask someone to take care of it and keep it out of the room (don't know about dogs but the same could apply). Cats just LOVE to play around and mess the screws and stuff... and yes you're going to stand in a middle of a sea of screws, small parts and wires that all look the same but are all different
    - It's hard to know when a part has to fit instantly without effort or when you have to force it a bit...

Thanks for all the tips! Any specifics on what kind of small screwdrivers? I've only got the bigger ones for household projects, so need to put screwdrivers on my to-get list. I didn't think about the gloves, so thanks! I also totally have cats, so I'll have to do this in the study with the door closed, I guess, haha! And regarding forcing parts... how do you know? Or is it just a guessing game where you hope the extra pressure does the trick instead of breaking it?
    Hardware doesn't seem to matter that much with ESO. Decent i7 processor would be nice but most of all get a decent router! Unfortunately the best PC in the world won't be getting good FPS in Cyrodiil or some dungeons atm sadly.

I have Comcast internet and the wireless router is from their company; I've never bothered getting my own. Any recommendations? Also, do I need some sort of part not covered in the linked parts list in order for my computer to pick up the wifi signal?
  • Fissh
    Fissh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I see you found faster RAM for only 10 bucks more, but you should be informed just the same.
    First, I haven't clicked your link, but ensure your mobo and processor support the higher speed memory. Second, you really don't need it. The faster memory won't really be noticeable in games. It is more greatly noticed in things like video editing. With that said though, why are you going ddr3? Price maybe? DDR4 will give that higher clock at base level.
    <X-Raided>
  • Jorotarr
    Jorotarr
    ✭✭
    Fissh wrote: »

I see you found faster RAM for only 10 bucks more, but you should be informed just the same.
    First, I haven't clicked your link, but ensure your mobo and processor support the higher speed memory. Second, you really don't need it. The faster memory won't really be noticeable in games. It is more greatly noticed in things like video editing. With that said though, why are you going ddr3? Price maybe? DDR4 will give that higher clock at base level.

I didn't even know there was DDR4 yet, I thought DDR3 was the highest available. As far as compatibility goes I have been relying on the compatibility checker on PC Part Picker.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joromarr wrote: »
    Thanks for all the tips! Any specifics on what kind of small screwdrivers? I've only got the bigger ones for household projects, so need to put screwdrivers on my to-get list. I didn't think about the gloves, so thanks! I also totally have cats, so I'll have to do this in the study with the door closed, I guess, haha! And regarding forcing parts... how do you know? Or is it just a guessing game where you hope the extra pressure does the trick instead of breaking it?

Look at the screws on your current machine : that's the size you'll need. It's the ones you find everywhere, the two last smallest sizes. You'll be fine with those. You might also find having the two models of the smallest size useful (1 cross + 1 flat).

As with all DIY stuff you're never really 100% sure to be doing the right thing, and imho it's more guessing than anything else. However, I found that using the brain, trying to observe, understand, research on the internet if necessary, helped a lot at reducing the risks of messing up. That's where the "don't rush and be patient" comes in :-). Computers are strange machines but even with them, common sense achieves a lot.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on January 10, 2016 11:38PM