The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Question about the glass motif and all the other rare motifs

victorcotrim
So, I'm a new player and I always loved the glass motif in the elder scrolls gamea. One of the first things I wanted to know about this game was the glass armor. Researching on the forums about them I found some old topics complaining how insane was the grind to get them. Is it still semi-impossible to get the glass motif ? Can anyone explain to me how hard and how much work will I have to do to get the motifs when I'm endgame? I'm really into crafting and I'm willing to spend a lot of hours in this game but I'm not willing to no-life and definately not into spending a lot of time to reach max level to realize that I will have to buy crowns if I want to be a good crafter.
Edited by victorcotrim on December 29, 2015 8:58AM

Best Answers

• Heindrich
    Heindrich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm willing to spend a lot of hours in this game but I'm not willing to no-life and definately not into spending a lot of time to reach max level to realize that I will have to buy crowns if I want to be a good crafter.

You don't need to buy crowns. But it takes literally many months to research all the traits for crafting certain sets and there is no way around that.

Motifs are easily obtainable with gold. Gold is easily obtainable for those that know how.

If you only use what you loot yourself and don't take advantage of the ingame economy, then you will find obtaining "rare" motifs a serious grind.
    Answer ✓
  • OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭
    helediron wrote: »
    I was doing steadily all writs with six maxed crafters in Craglorn. and i got one or two glass motif fragments per day. That amount of writs needed also heavy material farming, few hours per day. ZOS spoiled it all by putting the motif into crown store just two weeks afterwards, and i stopped. I had four motif pages ready in those two weeks.

What is the best way to farm materials?

Depends on what materials you're looking for.

Malachite is refined from Malachite Shards, which can be obtained from treasure chests around the world, including delves and public dungeons. If you mean crafting mats for writs, well, that's relative to your crafting level. If maxed, the place I go to farm Voidstone/Shadowhide/Voidcloth/Nightwood is Reapers March, unless you also want to grind out Rubedite/Rubedo/Ancestors Silk/Ruby Ash, go to Wrothgar.
    Rogue's Gallery (EP)(NA)(XB1)

Proud Member and Officer
    We’re recruiting for our ESO (Xbox One) Chapter
    ESO Application: Apply Here
    Homepage: http://www.roguesgalleryguild.com/
    TF Guild Page: http://tamrielfoundry.com/groups/rogues-gallery/
    Character List
    "Varyn Wryn" cp427 Nord Templar (Magicka DPS/Healer)
    "Maelis Artorius" cp427 Redguard Dragonknight (Stamina DPS)
    "Arius the Shade" cp427 Khajiit Nightblade (Stamina DPS)
    "Astalor Bloodsworn" Level 7 Altmer Sorcerer (Magicka DPS)
    Answer ✓
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was doing steadily all writs with six maxed crafters in Craglorn. and i got one or two glass motif fragments per day. That amount of writs needed also heavy material farming, few hours per day. ZOS spoiled it all by putting the motif into crown store just two weeks afterwards, and i stopped. I had four motif pages ready in those two weeks.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • gbsteve
    gbsteve
    ✭✭
    I found an Ancient Elf motif last night in an Orisinium house. Does anyone know if all Ancient motifs can be found in Orisinium wardrobes/chests/dressers?
    Edited by gbsteve on December 29, 2015 1:39PM
    VR3 - Stamblade
  • OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭
    gbsteve wrote: »
    I found an Ancient Elf motif last night in an Orisinium house. Does anyone know if all Ancient motifs can be found in Orisinium wardrobes/chests/dressers?

Ancient Orc can only be found in one of the two Public Dungeons in Wrothgar, however. The usual Daedric, Ancient Elf, Barbaric, Primal, Dwemer, Imperial and Alliance Races can be found throughout all of Wrothgar.
    So, I'm a new player and I always loved the glass motif in the elder scrolls gamea. One of the first things I wanted to know about this game was the glass armor. Researching on the forums about them I found some old topics complaining how insane was the grind to get them. Is it still semi-impossible to get the glass motif ? Can anyone explain to me how hard and how much work will I have to do to get the motifs when I'm endgame? I'm really into crafting and I'm willing to spend a lot of hours in this game but I'm not willing to no-life and definately not into spending a lot of time to reach max level to realize that I will have to buy crowns if I want to be a good crafter.

I tried to grind out writs on multiple toons to get glass fragments, however. Only getting 5-7 a week and needing 10 to combine for a single chapter was a serious grind. Broke down and bought the Glass Style Motif from the crown store. Don't regret it, to this day. Love the style for both heavy and medium armor and having just crafted a full light armor set for my brother last night, I'm loving all three types at this moment.
    Edited by OmniDevil on December 29, 2015 3:46PM

Proud Member and Officer
    Character List
  • victorcotrim

• victorcotrim
    OmniDevil wrote: »

Depends on what materials you're looking for.

Malachite is refined from Malachite Shards, which can be obtained from treasure chests around the world, including delves and public dungeons. If you mean crafting mats for writs, well, that's relative to your crafting level. If maxed, the place I go to farm Voidstone/Shadowhide/Voidcloth/Nightwood is Reapers March, unless you also want to grind out Rubedite/Rubedo/Ancestors Silk/Ruby Ash, go to Wrothgar.

Is this orisinium content?
  • OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭

Rubedite/Rubedo/Ancestors Silk/Ruby Ash is Imperial City content, while harvest nodes for those materials can only be found in Wrothgar (Orsinium DLC) and, iirc, Cyrodiil and while only having 10/10 in Blacksmithing/Clothing/Woodworking.

For Voidstone/Shadowhide/Voidcloth/Nightwood, those can be obtained from the last two zones in Cadwells Gold (varies depending on your alliance, which zones those will be) or Cyrodiil. Running dungeons at v9 will also drop gear, which, when deconstructed, will breakdown into those mats.

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Blacksmithing

Malachite (Glass Style gem) is not native to any DLC and can be obtained from anywhere ESO.

Proud Member and Officer
    Character List
  • victorcotrim

Rubedite/Rubedo/Ancestors Silk/Ruby Ash is Imperial City content, while harvest nodes for those materials can only be found in Wrothgar (Orsinium DLC) and, iirc, Cyrodiil and while only having 10/10 in Blacksmithing/Clothing/Woodworking.

For Voidstone/Shadowhide/Voidcloth/Nightwood, those can be obtained from the last two zones in Cadwells Gold (varies depending on your alliance, which zones those will be) or Cyrodiil. Running dungeons at v9 will also drop gear, which, when deconstructed, will breakdown into those mats.

Malachite (Glass Style gem) is not native to any DLC and can be obtained from anywhere ESO.

Thanks
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Thanks

I know that that webpage is great for description of skills, I see that the locations where you can find some materials there are wrong, for example galatite ore, for AD, locations are wrong, and the right ones are in collumn for Dagerfall Covenant :)