The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magicka DK Crafter Build (your thoughts/suggestions)

Casdha
Casdha
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been trying to tweak my Long time crafter to where he doesn't completely suck at combat. Here is a short video of where he is at now with some mid level mobs in Wrothgar. I'd like opinions on where he is at compared to your combat in the same situation. These three groups of NPCs are just north of the mine in Wrothgar. I don't want to run expensive gear on him, I'll save that for when I get my fighting characters built up. I'm running 5 Twice Born Star and 3 Arena VR 15 Purple gear since I can craft it and that amount of mats are easy for me to come by. I'll use more valuable gear on other characters when I get them there.

Any ideas for tweaks with the limited skill points available after using most of them in crafting. If you think he is doing ok where he is say that as well.

Thanks.
https://youtu.be/kp23MXfx1NA

Here are his stats where they are now. I'm still leveling light armor so a little room for improvement there. Also Armor is damaged in this shot it is slightly under 12k on Physical when fixed.
01charactersheet.png

Edit: Forgot to say still getting use to the bar layout play is a little better by the third group of mobs.
Edited by Casdha on November 28, 2015 6:42PM
Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• tangy.citrus
    tangy.citrus
    ✭✭✭
    Use draw essence or use resto on back bar. For group mobs like that, put ele drain on 1 or 2 of them, then throw down eruption and spam impulse/draw essence when you need health. They will melt. I didnt watch the rest of the video, it was painful.

Do this, you dont need very good gear. And they will seriously melt.

For singular mobs, throw ele drain, englufing flames, burning embers, and whip. when you need hp switch to back bar, if its destro/destro then just draw essence, if its destro/resto then either healing ward or just throw up rapid regen before the fight. If you kill them fast enough you dont need either though.
    PC/NA/AD
    Queen Ella - Mag DK - Tank/Healer/DPS
    Dunmer DK Cant Even - Stam DK - DPS/Tank
    Im bad at healing - Mag Templar - DPS/Healer
    Tangy Citrus - NB - Mistake
    #1 AD P.O.S.
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Single Target bar: Whip - Embers - Engulfing - FoO - Inner Light. Or you could have crushing shock or elemental drain i guess instead of FoO for either range damage or resource management.

AOE bar: Fire Ring - Eruption - Inhale - FoO - Inner Light. Again you could slot something else instead of FoO, such as scalding rune from mages guild, trap beast from fighters guild.

Dont use fire enchant on staves, you will apply burning status from other skills, so use poison or diseased or prismatic to damage daedra (expensive).

You are using TBS, so use Thief and Shadow mundus.

Your magicka is low, do you have all magicka enchants on gear?

I know it's only a crafting alt, but sometimes they have to get their hands dirty, so better to tweak it as best you can.
    Edited by Shader_Shibes on November 28, 2015 9:31PM
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Single Target bar: Whip - Embers - Engulfing - FoO - Inner Light. Or you could have crushing shock or elemental drain i guess instead of FoO for either range damage or resource management.

AOE bar: Fire Ring - Eruption - Inhale - FoO - Inner Light. Again you could slot something else instead of FoO, such as scalding rune from mages guild, trap beast from fighters guild.

Dont use fire enchant on staves, you will apply burning status from other skills, so use poison or diseased or prismatic to damage daedra (expensive).

You are using TBS, so use Thief and Shadow mundus.

Your magicka is low, do you have all magicka enchants on gear?

I know it's only a crafting alt, but sometimes they have to get their hands dirty, so better to tweak it as best you can.

I've often wondered about my magicka, almost as if it is a bug. Magicka enchants on everything but chest and legs, Health on those. All attribute points as you can see plus every passive available in race and class and Mage and Apprentice stones active. Magicka boosts on the jewelry and armor set bonuses, and this is also with Blue VR 15 Food active. Do the numbers look right without gear and all Attribute points taken in Magicka? or is it still low? I know my Dunmer NB is only VR3 and a stamina build and has better numbers than my Imperial DK. I have the last two Light armor passives to Unlock (lvl 42 now). Always been a heavy or med armor build before now. I think his biggest problem is just Magicka and Imperial don't mix well together.

I never run out of stamina (Unless I go to vMA)so no need to take those just yet. But I am using some cheap Willpower rings and Necklace (The Robust ones with Stamina) and I re-enchanted them with Purple spell damage instead of recovery. Besides, as you said, my Magicka is low and I'm using everything to get it where it is.

I don't have enough skill points left to load a different weapon so It is Fire main and Lighting or cold on 2nd (I swap those as needed if I know I need the damage type). (when I do a reset I think I have 258)
    The bar you see is
    1st Bar: (Fire Staff) Crushing shock, Flame Lash, Harness Magicka, Elemental Ring, Burning Embers
    2nd Bar: (Lightning Staff) Destructive clench, Igneous Weapons, Rapid Maneuvers, Elemental Ring, Coagulated Blood
    (Remember He has been running around gathering)
    All Weapons enchanted with un-resistable damage and sharpened for a trait.

I Have no problem playing content with him unless it is vMA. My goal is to have a Crafter that can at least finish vMA even if he gets killed along the way. Last time I tried I got Past the Giants on Ice platforms on Regular MA and could only get the 1st boss half way down on vet MA.

tl:dr

These are the VR16 mobs that have double the normal health of most mobs in Wrothgar. How fast can you kill these by yourself? or How quick do they kill you? then compare to how I'm doing and chime in. I'm trying to find a balance.

Edit: @tangy.citrus Sorry about the resolution I don't have a fast upload speed so I don't record in High res. If you are talking about the fighting. Third fight is a little better (last minute or so) I use flame lash and burning embers for heals. I try not to spam anything if I can help it.
    Edited by Casdha on November 29, 2015 1:05AM

• RoamingRiverElk
    RoamingRiverElk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this thread was going to be about retiring a magicka DK to become a crafter and what crafting lines the DK would max out first etc etc...
    Dalris Aalr - Magicka (Stamina) DK | Dalfish - Magicka Sorc | Dal Aalr - Magicka Warden | Dalrish - Mag/Stam NB | Irana Aalr - PvE Templar
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this thread was going to be about retiring a magicka DK to become a crafter and what crafting lines the DK would max out first etc etc...

No this is more about turning my gather/crafter/quester to a decent fighter since he is the only one that can gather high level mats in Wrothgar. He was fine for Solo quest stuff, but he just wasn't cutting it if he had to do anything more than that.

• RoamingRiverElk
    RoamingRiverElk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have extremely low magicka regen. For some cheap gear, I'd go with something like... 5 light armor, 1 med, 1 heavy (if you have the undaunted passives), or simply just 7 light armor. Some combination of sets like Seducer, Magnus, Kagrenac, maybe Julianos. Use the Atronach mundus stone for more magicka regen. Purple spell cost reduction glyphs or magicka regen glyphs on the jewelry until you have enough regen - then you can use spell dmg glyphs. Invest points in magicka regen and spell cost reduction in CP. Engine Guardian or Valkyn Skoria could help (Valkyn for a damage over time build). CP in Elemental damage. Make sure you have the passives activated which give you resources when you activate an ultimate. You need the regen / cost reduction passives from light armor.

Some great DK skills for PvE (not talking about vMA builds here): reflective scale, coagulating blood, igneous shield, burning talons, draw essence (or the other morph if you have enough magicka), ash cloud (if going with a dot build), engulfing flames, elemental ring, crushing shock, healing ward, harness magicka, blessing of restoration / combat prayer, entropy, shooting star, DK standard, dragon leap, devouring swarm (vampirism). For regular mobs, you can alternate between burning talons and draw essence, elemental ring isn't required, though it's certainly an option.

Veteran Maelstrom Arena is notoriously difficult for DKs (just take a look at how many DKs have actually finished it on the leaderboards), you will need optimized gear for it and a ton of practice. :)
    Dalris Aalr - Magicka (Stamina) DK | Dalfish - Magicka Sorc | Dal Aalr - Magicka Warden | Dalrish - Mag/Stam NB | Irana Aalr - PvE Templar
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »
    tl:dr

These are the VR16 mobs that have double the normal health of most mobs in Wrothgar. How fast can you kill these by yourself? or How quick do they kill you? then compare to how I'm doing and chime in. I'm trying to find a balance.
    I made the following video on my level 29 DK, after just waking up, in armour 4-5 levels below my own, with no glyphs.. so yeah, won't be extraordinary and my magicka/regen is pretty low. I also am not high enough for inhale yet, which I would most likely use in situations like this.
    Think my stats were something like 29k magicka, 1.7k regen, 2.2k spell damage (before entropy). I don't worry too much about my gear while in these low levels because I grow out of it too fast, so yeah, I ran out of magicka myself in the last fight because I didn't even bother popping any pots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s10LkaloXj0

In case you're curious, I'm running 5pc Julianos, 4pc Magnus (the 3rd and 4th coming from S+B). Using some medium pieces because I didn't have enough light traits for julianos.
    I use flame lash and embers for healing, coagulating blood for when things get in a bind and try to always keep igneous up. Choking talons is always good because it reduces the amount of damage you receive from targeted enemies by 15%. Pretty handy in situations like that.
    Shield assault/invasion is quite nice. It doesn't cost too much stamina, works a nice gap closer and stuns.
    Not a master Mag DK by any means (stam is usually my thing), but I hope it helps somewhat.

P.S. Sorry about the video quality.. capturing really isn't my thing!
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RoamingRiverElk thanks, I have respeced this guy so much it hurts. I don't have access to Undaunted skill line or Alliance war skills. As stated, I'm leveling Light armor now. Imperial or DK have no passives for magicka and I think this is where my problem lies. The only thing Magicka related I have room to raise are two armor enchants which would only raise it 1800 more in magicka. If I change things around to raise regen then spell damage will drop. If I change my TBS Mundus effects then either Magicka or spell damage or both will drop. I swear I don't see how folks can get numbers as High as they do.

Just for comparison I took my VR12 Templar there last night with old gear and did fine but I'm gonna make him new gear before I try vMA with him. Funny side note the mobs were still VR16 with the same amount of health. I wonder what the teirs are for Wrothgar and what level of mobs you get.

@Alucardo are your numbers the same in your base alliance zones or do they zone level up when you go to Wrothgar? I'm using Mundus stone and 5 traits Divines and almost everything enchanted to break 25k Magicka without food (only have 1800 more possible if everything was enchanted) and everything enchanted possible along with a set bonus for spell damage to break 2k. Armor now is 5 lights 2 heavys. The only way I can get regen up is by droping one of these two.
    Edited by Casdha on November 29, 2015 3:18PM

• Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »
    @Alucardo are your numbers the same in your base alliance zones or do they zone level up when you go to Wrothgar? I'm using Mundus stone and 5 traits Divines and almost everything enchanted to break 25k Magicka without food (only have 1800 more possible if everything was enchanted) and everything enchanted possible along with a set bonus for spell damage to break 2k. Armor now is 5 lights 2 heavys. The only way I can get regen up is by droping one of these two.
    I'm not too sure to be honest. I haven't really PVPd much with this guy - just levelling him in Wrothgar currently. I should note that he is a High Elf, so regen and magicka is going to be a little higher than your Imperial, but yours still seems insanely low.
    I use Apprentice mundus, 7 divines and purple drink.
    Perhaps you should try Mage and Atronach instead of Apprentice. Get your damage from Elemental Expert in CPs instead. Doesn't seem to be much point having damage when you can't sustain yourself.
    Personally, if I was running a non-magicka class as a magicka build, I'd roll with a different set. Like 5 pc kagrenac's, 4pc magnus or something (once again the 2pc coming from sword and board). With kags you get some nice magicka sustain and spell damage. The 4pc magnus will give you even more magicka/regen and spell damage. Really can't go wrong there.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info folks I think Im just gonna call it good for now. I stood around and watched folks get either wiped or run off by these med level mobs so at least it is ok for what it is (At least I know I ain't on the bottom). As far as being able to do vMA goes, I'm not sure any amount of gear will get me there. I tried my Templar (VR13 with 35k magicka) and got to the spiders on Normal and still got wiped on Vet in the first board (couldn't even get past round two much less beat the first boss).

I'll just have to chalk it up to I'm not good enough and don't have the time to get that way.

Thanks again.

Edit: @Alucardo I'm trying out 4 Magnus and 4 Eye of Mara on my Templar.

The skill points spent on my DK are as follows:
    42 Hardy
    42 Elemental Defender
    53 Elemental Expert
    31 Blessed
    42 Arcanist
    42 Healthy
    Edited by Casdha on November 30, 2015 12:23AM

• AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the previous poster. May be time to drop TBS as it you stats you don't need (stamina and maybe health). Have you tried something like 5 piece magus, 2 piece torug pact, 2 piece undaunted set of your choice, and willpower jewelry?
  • willymchilybily
    willymchilybily
    ✭✭✭✭
    its unfortunate you have a DK crafter, i find it one of the few classes ive tried where i get every passive i can lay my hands on, and as many class skills as i can because most have a time and place.if what you are doing works for you dont worry. but if you are struggling i can tell you what i found works for me in MA/vMA maybe get a few ideas of other things you could try

firstly, destruction staff is good, but for your build and set up and limited SP id go for class skills over weapon skills.
    in order of priority you need the following Class skills:
    draw essence, chocking talons, engulfing flames, coagulating blood, reflective scale, eruption,burning embers , flame whip,
    non class skills
    entropy, destructive reach.
    Ultimate preferences
    shooting star, standard of might, dragon leap
    general soloing:
    Bar 1: draw essence, flame lash, choking talons, engulfing flames,burning embers, [standard]
    Bar 2: destructive reach, eruption, entropy, coagulating blood, reflective scale [meteor/dragon leap]

Bar 1 you heal with burning embers, draw essence, talons and lash(twice)
    Bar 2 ranged bar, keep entropy up, heavy destruction staff and and destructive reach.

Maelstrom Advice:
    nMA: The troll stage
    its a hard one for a dK. try to stay on one platform. On My Dk with entropy/spell damage buffed i can 1 shot heavy attack the trolls. i am only in v14 gear. if you cant do this slightly charge the destro heavy/medium attack and follow with destructive reach. whilst doing this i can spell reflect from this bar. The aim is to hold an island it is your island, and not have to chase the trolls so stand near the edge. so when they portal into the middle you can 1 shot them. you can also use eruption below the portal the come from to slow them to give you enough time to heavy attack them.

on the boss phase its all about the last island. You want all the dots, start with engulfing flames, burning embers, switch, throw down an entropy eruption and destructive reach, (heavy attack if you need resources), switch again to refresh dots, and if you have melee adds talons and draw essence as necessary. I stay on destro staff for resources unless im over half, or ive just used my ultimate and have lots of resources then i flame lash the boss. If you use meteor/shooting star pop entropy before hand for empowering, if you don't have it drop banner.

vMSA 1s tBoss:
    relflective scales is a boon for first boss, i guess you will swap your bar up anyway for that content and double and reflective scales

Every other class i play i ignore adds and burst the boss and then when he starts to spawn 3 adds and sends more skulls at me i pick up the defence sigil to reflect the casters and power to do more damage, and keep bursting and kiting. This isn't how i play it on a magicka DK. without movement speed i cant do that, without burst i cant do that.

The easiest way i've found to get past the first boss is actually keep him dotted and go for the adds. keep reflective scales up. if i can keep my resource going well enough to kill most of the adds, and keep reflective scales popping, whilst dotting everything around the boss will kill himself with his spells, particular towards the end of the fight when he does more and more spells. The only thing i do is make sure i use my entropy/meteor combo on him once he has teleported so iots not wasted. if im out of magicka and cant spell reflect ill pick up hasted and defence sigil and heavy attack adds, or talons and draw essence adds. depending.

Good luck, i dont know if this will help but i hope it does. Always nice to see someone trying to use the DK instead of abandoning it.
    PSN - WarpPigeon - Guild: TheSyndicate - EU, Ebonheart Pact
    Dragon Knight [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Magicka] - 720 - Flawless Conqueror
    Templar [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Dragon Knight [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Stamina] - 720
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL, I thought this was a joke thread because you "retired" your DK.

K, Just make VR14 seducer + 2 torugs + random vr16 staff. Use robust/healthy willpower jewelry which is cheap. Now you have ustain and spell damage for solo roaming.

DKs should always have draw essence on their bars because it is an aoe that heal. I'd also have scales.My back bar would be a retoration staff with healing ward to heal yourself.

If you just do this, you can reasonably expect to be handle all the content in Wrothgar (just don't try to solo a world boss!).
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had it to do over again I would have made him a Breton, but that is the price I pay for wanting to show off I had the Imperial Edition at launch. @Joy_Division I do fine in solo (just not vMA). I may not ever be good enough for vMA but thanks to some ideas here from you and @willymchilybily , @Alucardo , @RoamingRiverElk , @Shader_Shibes he is better than he was.

Before trying to fix anything I went from 2-3k average dps with 5k first second to 7-9k average with 15-20k first second dps and can keep health and magicka up for normal Solo much longer (measured in Wrothgar against trolls, mid level mobs and whatnot). It's better than he has ever been. Some folks may think its silly but you did help. At least it makes questing and gathering easier, as well as only having crafting points taken on one character.

In case you wonder why I even bother he will have 9 traits on everything by Christmas only 3 heavy weapons and 3 clothier to go. I can't just throw that away. His primary goal is to do story quests and when those are gone gather mats for gold. My limited play time means he is also my only VR16 character, The others I have I just click through the quests as fast as I can but I've only had time to get a NB to VR3 and a Templar to VR13. Its taken me since launch to get 3 this far.

• Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad we made some difference :)

And maybe soon they will implement the race change, i hope they do anyway.

GL on your travels!!