The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

FPS drop in PvP

Arbiter21
Arbiter21
In normal PvE I have about 50-100 fps at max settings and 1080p.When in pvp however my FPS drops dramatically at about 15-23.I notice that my gpu doesn't work at 100% ,instead it works at about 50% ( in pve it works 90-100%) ,so it's not giving its best shot to provide me with more fps.So I thought it was a cpu problem,but my cpu is working at max 63% ( with all threads working,all threads work up to 100%).
So what's the problem?Why is fps so low despite the fact that my pc can handle the load easily?
Moreover my ping is about 150ms during pvp ( and pve).
My system specs :
i7 4990
amd r9 290 4gb
16 gb of ram
1000Watt power supply
Even when overclocking the performance DOES NOT improve.Or if I lower the settings....still 20 fps during battle.
  • blubbi4ever
    i7-4990 doesn't sound familiar to me... how much ghz does it have? Are you sure, that all CPU-threads are working for ESO? I think there aren't many games that can use all cores/threads, especially MMOs (maybe Battlefield 4 and some DX12 benchmarks).

Unfortunately, this is a normal behaviour in PVP and therefore it needs a lot of optimization.

The reason why you GPU isn't working at full speed is because ESO is CPU-dependent. The problem is that it uses only 1 CPU-core (sometimes 2) effectively and your graphics card can't really help to improve your FPS dramatically except for better graphics settings.

When your CPU gets bottlenecked (e.g. 1 CPU-core at 100%) and your FPS drops down to 15, then your graphics card is underperforming too because of the low performance of your CPU.
    CPU bottleneck -> lower FPS -> lower GPU load
    No CPU bottleneck -> higher FPS -> higher GPU load

63% maximum load from your CPU is maybe the overall performance, which means that already more than 2 CPU-cores are working at 100%, which is bad for ESO.

Since overclocking doesn't improve your FPS, there isn't really much you can do. Try to search for usersettings optimizations, disable CPU core parking and some addons, if you haven't done this yet. For hardwareupgrades, get a better CPU with an unlocked multiplier. RAM with higher clockspeed/CL can also help with FPS, especially with CPU bottleneck situations.

Sry for my english.
  • Arbiter21
    Arbiter21
    i7-4990 doesn't sound familiar to me...

Yeah that was a spelling mistake , I have an intel core i7 4790 3.60 ghz.Thanks for the information