The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Instead of a DPS wall ... I would like to see

newtinmpls
newtinmpls
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
I recently watched the Youtube video by @Elloa giving a look at what Orsinium was like on the PTS. She had a lot of interesting comments, but one that stayed with me was that there is effectively a "DPS wall" in the solo trials, making it impossible for some builds, and unlikely for certain classes to be able to get through.

Yes, I know that "more hit points" is one way of measuring things and making bosses harder. So is time. It seems that often what the current system of trials, combat and leaderboards measure is how much damage can we do how fast.

What if we could measure something else?

What if instead of just massing DPS, with backup healing and backup tanking that really don't get much credit in terms of how the in-game mechanics seem to calculate things, what if we had more options?

What if "damage mitigated" was measured? Blocking, dodging and the like could count.

Positioning ... what if you had to maneuver the opponent into a particular space and then someone across the room had to throw a switch to open a pit that would trap them?

Weaknesses ... what if instead of "all your fancy special abilities won't work because it's a Boss" (I hate that) - what if the boss did have a weakness to something like petrify, fire clench or bleeding damage - and it was a matter of figuring it out?

What if you had to hit something high up in the room to drop a cage, free an ally (maybe a flying titan in a suspended cage). What if it took X damage or an X Y Z sequence, and you had to snipe, or crystal shard, or obsidian shard or throw a dagger?

What would you like to see the Dev's play with?
Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Speely
    Speely
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind the idea of DPS checks since one of the main parts of the game is killing stuff, but I love the idea of creative boss encounters that involve more than just staying out of the red and spamming DPS skills. Some of the examples you provided are great. It would be great to see utility skills/tactics taking the spotlight in certain situations for sure.

I would love to see boss encounters that weren't even restricted to one area, but an ongoing battle throughout a whole dungeon. Instead of a big baddie, maybe a sneaky assassin who acted opportunistically upon you throughout the area. Or a gang of marauders who set up ambushes at various spots. I feel like the concept of "bosses" can be expanded upon a lot.
    Edited by Speely on October 31, 2015 11:10PM
  • dday3six
    dday3six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More interesting boss mechanics are always a plus.

Frankly though Elloa is a very causal player. And while there is nothing wrong with that playstyle, at the same time ESO cannot be simplified to the ponit were every build is viable.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Speely wrote: »
    I don't mind the idea of DPS checks since one of the main parts of the game is killing stuff, but I love the idea of creative boss encounters that involve more than just staying out of the red and spamming DPS skills. Some of the examples you provided are great. It would be great to see utility skills/tactics taking the spotlight in certain situations for sure.

I would love to see boss encounters that weren't even restricted to one area, but an ongoing battle throughout a whole dungeon. Instead of a big baddie, maybe a sneaky assassin who acted opportunistically upon you throughout the area. Or a gang of marauders who set up ambushes at various spots. I feel like the concept of "bosses" can be expanded upon a lot.

What a wild idea.

It would make detection potions more usable in different places.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... one of the things this game raved about was more intelligent/dynamic npc fights, and I think that's been really lacking

OP ideas are great.
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There are many better alternatives to making everything a DPS check. I am not saying DPS checks do not belong, but they don't have to be in every single trial. For example, have the boss perform an attack that requires coordination and advanced maneuvering to survive. An example of this already being done is one of the bosses in vet spindle. This boss summons some kind of spell that requires you to stay in the moving circle or be insta killed, WHILE fighting the huge amount of enemies. THAT kind of stuff is what makes hardcore/vet level content fun. not boring DPS check bosses.
    Edited by Cody on November 1, 2015 3:20AM
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cody wrote: »
    There are many better alternatives to making everything a DPS check. I am not saying DPS checks do not belong, but they don't have to be in every single trial. For example, have the boss perform an attack that requires coordination and advanced maneuvering to survive. An example of this already being done is one of the bosses in vet spindle. This boss summons some kind of spell that requires you to stay in the moving circle or be insta killed, WHILE fighting the huge amount of enemies. THAT kind of stuff is what makes hardcore/vet level content fun. not boring DPS check bosses.
    I guess you can clearly see that improvement in IC and WGT already.
    As for Trials (which I consider old-school AI material), note that Mantikora is still undefeatable boss for most of the guilds.