The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Radiant Magelight? Check! Ummm now what?

• Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TerraHawk wrote: »
    I don't think I should be able to be hit with an AOE (Steel Tornado) at three times my detection radius.
    Agree with all but especially this.
  • willymchilybily
    willymchilybily
    ✭✭✭✭
    people realize stealth detect radius depends on who you are detecting right?

stealthy racial = - 3m detect radius
    7 medium armor = 35% reduction to detect radius is pretty huge
    some armor sets grants -2m on top

and the detection radius is dependent on if they are behind or in front of you. I think the ability is great. sorry you dont enjoy it OP, but works for me every time, i can even pop it from stealth and stalk the person i just saw stealth up, and i know i will see them before they got close enough to see me.
    Edited by willymchilybily on November 2, 2015 5:19PM
    PSN - WarpPigeon - Guild: TheSyndicate - EU, Ebonheart Pact
    Dragon Knight [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Magicka] - 720 - Flawless Conqueror
    Templar [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Dragon Knight [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Stamina] - 720
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is no good.

I love how people act that cloak or stealth is the end all be all for a NB. Its just one aspect of a fully well rounded char.

Let's say that you do use RM and it detects them. Fear, assault, wb, etc are all still there.

Just because they don't necessarily get a huge stealthy first attack doesn't mean you're golden.

The idea that ONE move needs so many threads, needs so many moves, needs so many arguments, just to get to the same level as everyone else is amazing.

RM, I laugh at thee.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • cschwingeb14_ESO
    cschwingeb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Radiant should not be affected by the medium armor or racial passives unless it is also affected by the abilities that buff stealth detection radius. That means potions, sentry armor, other sets, etc.
  • Jumper45
    Jumper45
    ✭✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »
    Jumper45 wrote: »
    Erock25 wrote: »
    Aaannnddd here come the nb to defend an anti cloak mechanic. RML is absolute shite for combating a cloaker.

@jhharvest

Not all of us are Night Blades lmao. No one told you to slot it on 2 bars. You only need to for stealth fights so if you need it on both bars for 1 fight that is more of a personal decision. You can run around with it just on your main bar during combat for ambushers. The only reason you would need it on 2 bars in pvp is because you need your entire 2 bars to complete a pvp fight which also sounds like a personal decision of tactics. I only run with it on 1 bar on my templar and it works just fine.

Choosing to put mage light on both bars isn't really a tactical decision, it's an obvious and necessary one not just for PvP but PvE as well. No ones looking for a 100% counter, they just want the skill to be effective. Not being able to see something a few meters in front of you, such as the gate corridor, with stealth detect is not effective.

Full medium cuts that area of detection in half I don't remember which one but a set drops the area by another 2m and the race bonus it's easy with just full medium and the right right to have a 2m detection range.

Well that explains a lot, 2 freaking meters. Absolutely useless for stealth detection.
    DeanTheCat wrote: »
    Don't just hate on RML :(

RML is a really good skill, a skill that is one of the cornerstones of my build (Stealth Hunter). It has a detection range of 10m (Vigor range),

10m if they have no stealth detect reduction. I have sat in the middle of the mile gate corridor with mage light, watched a guy stealth in front of me then a few second later he was behind the gate attacking someone. It wasn't even enough detection to cover half the width of the gate corridor.

I never slotted it again after that, if it can't even handle that it's worthless, actually it's worse than worthless @ 2 slots. The only good use of it is damage reduction if you don't use a magicka PvE build.

A few tips you shouldn't need a power like Mage light in PvE, stealth detection reductions are present and must be taken into account why double slot it set your bars in to survive with that bar alone. I can stay on one bar the whole fight if I needed to defense, heals, debuffs and buffs needed for that bar is on that bar. Some power do two things like buff and heal.

You can re-toggle the power it's really not hard I fight with Piercings Mark on my bar but switch it out for RML to ride my horse 56% reduction to stealth and just keep closing its not hard I do this every day stop being lazy.

I have yet to see a magicka DPS build that does not incorporate mage light, shoot dks use magelight and inferno..on both bars! Most people have an offense and defense bar, anyone can switch to their defense bar and only defend and so not have to keep retoggling it, however most people have to attack and defend simultaneously. That is why they have to put it on both bars. If they stealth and you are not on your magelight bar, they will be gone by the time you hotswap and try to toggle it back on. That is why it is a waste of stealth detection on only 1 bar.

You are using it for the damage reduction. You can't equivocate between detect and reduction to say it's ok to put it on one bar. This whole thread is about the stealth detect, not the reduction, the op praises the reduction.

Correct there are paths to reduce the detection radius ( which is where people say the abilities are useless when they are not because the detection is being countered. you'll never know if they have detection reduce buffs or not. That being said this does reduce their overall performance though as they are geared towards stealth and not something like damage or crit or something else.

I dont think there is anything wrong with that. No different then someone gearing towards healing or tanking or dps or utilies. In this case Utilities. Like a Templar healer for example gearing towards almost 50% Mitigation while casting a heal while also having the 50% reduce from RML etc. It all comes from somewhere.

As for magelight, not all builds even have room for it :( NB Magicka Healer for sure has no room for it so yeah some builds dont even get that luxury.

Someone somewhere will always say there is a issue with something. Like no one is even saying anything about Templars stacking 25% mitigation 25% mitigation and 50% stealth mitigation but we all have stealth detection issues right? lol
    “All right, I've been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager!
    Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man whose gonna burn your house down - with the lemons!” (Portal 2)

17 Years MMORPG Experience healing and I still havn't figured out why people stand in red circles.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aaannnddd here come the nb to defend an anti cloak mechanic. RML is absolute shite for combating a cloaker.

@jhharvest

Not all of us are Night Blades lmao. No one told you to slot it on 2 bars. You only need to for stealth fights so if you need it on both bars for 1 fight that is more of a personal decision. You can run around with it just on your main bar during combat for ambushers. The only reason you would need it on 2 bars in pvp is because you need your entire 2 bars to complete a pvp fight which also sounds like a personal decision of tactics. I only run with it on 1 bar on my templar and it works just fine.

Choosing to put mage light on both bars isn't really a tactical decision, it's an obvious and necessary one not just for PvP but PvE as well. No ones looking for a 100% counter, they just want the skill to be effective. Not being able to see something a few meters in front of you, such as the gate corridor, with stealth detect is not effective.

Full medium cuts that area of detection in half I don't remember which one but a set drops the area by another 2m and the race bonus it's easy with just full medium and the right right to have a 2m detection range.

Well that explains a lot, 2 freaking meters. Absolutely useless for stealth detection.

RML is a really good skill, a skill that is one of the cornerstones of my build (Stealth Hunter). It has a detection range of 10m (Vigor range),

10m if they have no stealth detect reduction. I have sat in the middle of the mile gate corridor with mage light, watched a guy stealth in front of me then a few second later he was behind the gate attacking someone. It wasn't even enough detection to cover half the width of the gate corridor.

I never slotted it again after that, if it can't even handle that it's worthless, actually it's worse than worthless @ 2 slots. The only good use of it is damage reduction if you don't use a magicka PvE build.

A few tips you shouldn't need a power like Mage light in PvE, stealth detection reductions are present and must be taken into account why double slot it set your bars in to survive with that bar alone. I can stay on one bar the whole fight if I needed to defense, heals, debuffs and buffs needed for that bar is on that bar. Some power do two things like buff and heal.

You can re-toggle the power it's really not hard I fight with Piercings Mark on my bar but switch it out for RML to ride my horse 56% reduction to stealth and just keep closing its not hard I do this every day stop being lazy.

I have yet to see a magicka DPS build that does not incorporate mage light, shoot dks use magelight and inferno..on both bars! Most people have an offense and defense bar, anyone can switch to their defense bar and only defend and so not have to keep retoggling it, however most people have to attack and defend simultaneously. That is why they have to put it on both bars. If they stealth and you are not on your magelight bar, they will be gone by the time you hotswap and try to toggle it back on. That is why it is a waste of stealth detection on only 1 bar.

You are using it for the damage reduction. You can't equivocate between detect and reduction to say it's ok to put it on one bar. This whole thread is about the stealth detect, not the reduction, the op praises the reduction.

Correct there are paths to reduce the detection radius ( which is where people say the abilities are useless when they are not because the detection is being countered. you'll never know if they have detection reduce buffs or not. That being said this does reduce their overall performance though as they are geared towards stealth and not something like damage or crit or something else.

I dont think there is anything wrong with that.

There isn't anything wrong with counters, and counters to the counters. I think stealth should have a counter, and that counter should have a counter, but I don't think any counter should dry the other up entirely when a sacrifice is made to achieve that counter.

For example. I can counter high damage opponents by sacrificing my damage and recovery with heavy armor, however that counter can be hard countered entirely with armor penetration and reduction, leaving me with no counter, and the disadvantage of having no damage or recovery. In the case of mage light (inner light with spell pots for sake of discussion) you are sacrificing 2 skill slots for stealth detection. Those two precious skill slots you spent for the purpose of stealth detection are essentially wasted when reduced to 2m. 2m is effectively 0 stealth detection. It's essentially hard countered when it should be soft countered.

I think there should be a cap on how much you can reduce that detection so that both sides have some remaining effectiveness from the sacrifices they made in their build. The NB who built for stealth keeps some of his stealth while the other class that built for stealth detection keeps some of his detection and the most skilled wins. Neither are hard countered, and each is equally diminished.
    Edited by Armitas on November 2, 2015 9:50PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Jumper45
    Jumper45
    ✭✭✭

@jhharvest

I dont think there is anything wrong with that.

There isn't anything wrong with counters, and counters to the counters. I think stealth should have a counter, and that counter should have a counter, but I don't think any counter should dry the other up entirely when a sacrifice is made to achieve that counter.

For example. I can counter high damage opponents by sacrificing my damage and recovery with heavy armor, however that counter can be hard countered entirely with armor penetration and reduction, leaving me with no counter, and the disadvantage of having no damage or recovery. In the case of mage light (inner light with spell pots for sake of discussion) you are sacrificing 2 skill slots for stealth detection. Those two precious skill slots you spent for the purpose of stealth detection are essentially wasted when reduced to 2m. 2m is effectively 0 stealth detection. It's essentially hard countered when it should be soft countered.

I think there should be a cap on how much you can reduce that detection so that both sides have some remaining effectiveness from the sacrifices they made in their build. The NB who built for stealth keeps some of his stealth while the other class that built for stealth detection keeps some of his detection and the most skilled wins. Neither are hard countered, and each is equally diminished.

I do agree if youre in melee range you should be seen no matter what if facing at the target. I think melee is a little larger then 2m correct?

The RML ability design could have had a little more work before being pushed out though. Something as simple as leaving a blue outline of a target that was caught by RML for 1second post leaving RML radius would easly fix this and make it only viewable to the person with RML to not make it OP by making RML Zergs. Once the blue outline is seen you can use stray attacks aoe or w/e to pop them out if needed. 1 second isnt much but its better then it is now and fair imho because its one GCD. Which gives the person with RML ONE shot to pop the cloak before its gone. This would give alot more value to stealth detection radius buffers etc but being fair to people with latency etc that just never get a chance to tag a target once RML does show them.

But i think ill be asking too much for that lol. I mean Refreshing path is red... The same color as boss telegraphs pretty much or our own siege weapons giving bad telegraphs pre patch.. So its clear they dont think ahead about colors and other such things if those are being bypassed and not getting a fix till a year later.
    “All right, I've been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager!
    Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man whose gonna burn your house down - with the lemons!” (Portal 2)

17 Years MMORPG Experience healing and I still havn't figured out why people stand in red circles.