The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PvP Guidance

Sixsixsix161
Sixsixsix161
✭✭✭
I'm a newbie to this game, got my first character to vr1, and am thinking of doing PvP to get better gear. The rewards you get at the later stages of the PvE game have disappointed me.

I realize I'll die often, but that's ok, I can handle that. I've been trying to find some info on PvP'ing in this game, but there's not much out there.

So, I'm asking for guidance on where to go, and what to do - just to get me started. If there's a place where I can read in detail about this, please let me know.

I'm a caster Templar, destro staff, and healing resto staff.

Thanks
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot one other question.

Does heavy armor really provide better protection against enemy melee/caster attacks?

And if it does, does it make sense for my Templar to switch from light to heavy armor, since I play mainly solo?

Thanks.
  • Insurrektion
    Insurrektion
    ✭✭✭
    I gotta recommend light armor since heavy offers little in the way of offense. Even 5 light/2 heavy for a bit of an added bonus but still getting all the light armor perks would work.

The biggest thing that I can easily tell you is that sustainability is critical in pvp. Usually people lose duels when they run out of stamina and can no longer block to mitigate damage and stop CCs. I do want to recommend you play support since you're a caster templar with a resto staff. I personally would go for dual wielding swords for added spell power if I were going for more damage output.

You will need some experience in pvp before you learn better how to fight each class. I'd say probably go with a cookie cutter build you can find by looking around a bit and make some alterations to it as you see fit.

Also people generally recommend templars and dragon knights to roll vampires for the mists to use as an escape, since they don't have an escape built into their kit like the sorcerers (bolt escape) and nightblades (cloak). It'll really be up to you and your preferences.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's really good advice by the poster above. I've tried all heavy, all light, 5/2 etc. They all have benefits.

As for advice, just look both ways before you cross into anything. Sneak a lot and try to only pick fights where you have an advantage, like from behind for example. Don't be scared of seeing VR16 either. Once you get to about VR6 you can defeat most opponents if you're the better tactician. Having a good build is very important but there is nothing more vital then being aware of everything happening around and to you.
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, appreciate the info on the armor.

Any advice where to go, or just select one of the places on the PvP selection screen?
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Omg. I love this post. Seriously!!! The first time in a while someone new doesn't ask for nerfs, but rather for help!

Sooooo let me help ya for a bit: ok you are a magicka templer. I think that's a pretty solid choice to start with! Templar gives you a good selfheal, some basic sort of mobility, okayish damageoutput and a great execute. To be honest, I do not have soooo much of a specific class build advice. Use puncturing sweeps, puryifing ritual, radiant oppresdion and channeled focus. What I would also recommend would be duelling (to learn classes and playerreaction), and open world solo encounters. I know, might hurt hard in the beginning. But over the long term you'll learn some crucial things from it.

What I do not suggest:: running in +40 man trains. You might not die a lot, but you will not improve.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sixsixsix161
    For cyrodiil mechanics (like how things work, where to go, what to do, who to kill, and the like), two things: First, do the starter quest if you haven't already. If you pay attention, it will get you familiar with siege weapons and Cyrodiil basics. And free skill point! Second, try to find and join a decent Pvp guild, or find a group to roll with. You won't have much success running around by yourself. Try to get in a group with Teamspeak and listen to your raid leader!

For an armor choice, read the passive bonus descriptions in each armor tree. Then decide which set of passives best aligns with what YOU want to accomplish in PVP.

But basically:
    Light-- Magicka
    Medium-- Stamina
    Heavy-- Mitigation

There are bonuses to only wearing ONE type of armor (described in the passives), but it may be worth it to wear TWO types as well. Note: if you have the skill points, always invest in every passive. If you don't...get the skill points. Hahah

Hope dis help.
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, and of I go to PvP.

• Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DeanTheCat has a really useful guide for new PvP players. Hopefully he will poke in here and link it.

Best thing to do is try to get in a group (usually in zone people will ask) or just follow a group around. This way you can not only stay alive longer but also so how more experienced players are doing. I know you mentioned an interest in playing solo, but try to get your feet wet first.

For beginners, I would recommend:
    • Binding the interrupt / CC break to a single key or mouse button to quicken the time you break enemy crowd control effects.
    • Try not to travel alone along the most direct route to a keep that is under attack. You will often get ganked by more experienced players.
    • In theory heavy armor provides more mitigation and I suppose it does that a litte, but heavy armor in this game has never been particularly very good. Most players in this game are "tanky" because they heal, shield, and dodge enemy attacks in light and medium armor.
  • Dyride
    Dyride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have other tips but thought some basic gear advice would be helpful to start.

Here is what I would recommend:

5 pc VR1 Warlock including jewelry, buy this from a guild trader if possible but you can also run lots of dungeons scaled to vr1. Gives a nice big chunk of magicka once below 33% max magicka.

5 pc crafted Willow's Path gives 15% extra regen to magicka/stamina/health.

Put all divines on crafted gear and run the Atronach mundus.

Use Blue VR1 magicka/stamina regen drinks.

Reasoning

Your stats with Battle Levelling will be around 18-20k each of Magicka and Stamina, plus 28-32k Health depending on racial and class passives. Spell damage will be around 1450 and weapon damage 1700 unbuffed which is not very high.

Battle leveling makes you tanky but you will have to sustain for longer to succeed in fights because your damage is low. There are few 5 pc bonuses that give enough damage or base stats to be worthwhile.

Plus as a new pvp player, resource management is one of the first things you need to master.

V Є H Є M Є И C Є
      Ḍ̼̭͔yride

Revenge of the Bear

ØMNI
      Solongandthanksforallthef
      Revenge of the Hist
      Revenge of the Deer

Remember the Great Burn of of the Blackwater War!

#FreeArgonia
    1. Dyride
      Dyride
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Here the DeantheCat guide to PVP.

Also, just continue to ask questions. Not everyone is a troll.
      Edited by Dyride on October 25, 2015 6:00PM
      V Є H Є M Є И C Є
        Ḍ̼̭͔yride

Revenge of the Bear

ØMNI
        Solongandthanksforallthef
        Revenge of the Hist
        Revenge of the Deer

Remember the Great Burn of of the Blackwater War!

#FreeArgonia
      1. WhiteCoatSyndrome
        WhiteCoatSyndrome
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭
        Keep in mind I say this as a squishy light armor Sorc:

--Don't be afraid to hide behind NPCs.
        --Take secure positions when possible--if I'm defending a resource, I'll hide on the nearby tower and spam ranged attacks/heals.
        --Sneak whenever you're outside, near an enemy keep, near an enemy resource, or really any time you're not traveling from point A to point B or in combat.
        --Max out your horse's Speed and Stamina if you haven't already. Speed lets you get back to the fight after your inevitable death, Stamina keeps you from getting knocked off your horse if you're attacked while riding.
        #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
        PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
        A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
      2. DeanTheCat
        DeanTheCat
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        @Joy_Division: You called? i was sleeping, you posted at 0033h my time :(

I see someone has linked my guide already, so no need for me to link it again. :)

Still, it's important not to give up OP. Everyone here started like you not knowing which end of the sword hurts people to who they are today. Cyrodiil isn't the most gentle place to learn the ropes as a new player, but eventually you'll be good enough to fight multiple opponents at the same time with good odds at victory. Just keep at it, and have fun.

Good luck on the battlefield, and may Baan-Dar keep you one step ahead of your foes.
        Dean the Cat
        Somewhat Insane Puddicat
        EU-PC Megaserver; Ebonheart Pact, Alliance Rank 34
        This one hails from far Singapore, excuse this one for his high pings. He also apologizes for any formatting/spelling errors, as he tends to answer using a mobile device.

Insanity is the price of Knowledge. Herma-Mora and Sheogorath, this one bows before thee.

This one does not advocate for any class to be nerfed. There are far deeper underlying issues then a simple "Class Imbalance". The Champion System is the problem. Not classes.

Please read this before creating yet another nerf thread.

My guides:
      3. Sixsixsix161
        Sixsixsix161
        ✭✭✭
        After my indoctrination, I've been doing scouting missions for the past few days. Only have been killed 2-3 times - don't know why two level 15s needed to kill a level 1, but all is fair in war, lol. Good way to see how things are situated, how to get there and back. I stay off the roads mostly to get away from enemy players, plus I find some good mats for staffs/armor.

Sneaking is not a problem, I've been sneaking forever, and in other games, too, so that's a habit. And I won't give up. I know it's a pain to level and gear up in that environment, but I did it for almost 7-8 years in WoW with 8 different characters (not the rated kind, but you still have to do the work and get new gear - fond memories of running AV for 3 days straight)

I've been looking at general chat there, guess I should get Team Speak, even if I don't have a mic, that seems to be a requirement from guilds.

But all is well, and thank you again for the help.

4. Waffennacht
        Waffennacht
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        Lol @ the why do they need to kill a level one. Personally for me, its like a Khajit, I see that colorful symbol above the head and instinct takes over, just gotta pounce!

Good luck, you'll find higher levels you can beat, and lower levels that seem far more difficult. Im a huge fan of PvP, mainly 1v1.

I like reading threads like this, awesome to see someone new and enjoying it! :)
        Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
        1300+ CP
        Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
      5. Sixsixsix161
        Sixsixsix161
        ✭✭✭
        One last question, on TeamSpeak, there's a 32-bit and 64-bit client available for download. Does it matter which one I use? I looked around their website, but there's nothing there to tell me.

I'm running i7 quad core 64-bit on my computer, but some games still are 32-bit, so please advise.

Thanks.