The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Traits that offer the best overall mitigation for crafted medium armor?

Thecapeo
Thecapeo
✭✭✭
Pretty much what the title asks. I'm a stam DK either going 7 med or 5M/2L. Which of the crafted traits do you think off the best mitigation as far as what you typically face in PvP? I was thinking impenetrable or sturdy but I'm not sure of the math behind them.
  • Jakeol
    Jakeol
    ✭✭✭
    Impen will reduce the amount you get crit (how hard, not how often). But it will also do the same for healing you receive since it is calculated as negative damage. You're better off rocking reinforced.
    Jaqqe'nova - EP v14 Nord NB
  • Thecapeo
    Thecapeo
    ✭✭✭
    Jakeol wrote: »
    Impen will reduce the amount you get crit (how hard, not how often). But it will also do the same for healing you receive since it is calculated as negative damage. You're better off rocking reinforced.

Wow, thanks, I didn't realize Impen reduce the crit chances of healing on you as well. In that case reinforced certainly makes more sense. What about stacking Divines and going with the Lady for increased armor? Any point in that?
  • GuyNamedSean
    GuyNamedSean
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would say rock full reinforced and mix in a defensive armour set along with an offensive one. I tend to set those up for my guildies that are moving into medium out of heavy. Normally I recommend Death's Wind, but if you're using it for PvP I think that Whitestrake's might be better due to the damage shield.
    Former Guildmaster of the Legion of Mournhold
    XBL: GuyNamedSean
    PC: GuyNamedSeanPC
  • Thecapeo
    Thecapeo
    ✭✭✭
    The plan was PvP so Whitestrakes and Hunding's is definitely a consideration. I currently go Hunding's/Ashen but I'm looking to mix a little more defense in.
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would think reinforced would end up giving you more armor than divines. I'd have to do the math. Probably depends on the quality level (green, blue, purple etc) Divines might provide more benefit on the four smaller armor pieces, and give you more flexibility if you decide you want to switch Mundus because you are weaker in a different area.

Not sure if you are running set pieces or not, but 2 pieces Death's Wind (1890 armor), 2 piece Hist Bark (1890 armor), Alessia's Bulwark (2=1890 armor, or 4=3780 + 1417 Max Health). You could mix and match or do an 8 piece of these combos and it would probably boost your armor (7,560) alot more than the traits.
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • Thecapeo
    Thecapeo
    ✭✭✭
    I'm probably going to take them to gold. The gold mats are pretty cheap for leather and I have decent amount already. I don't suppose you know of a site that has the values charted out based on armor quality? Then I could run the math a bit and see what I come up with.
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Traits

http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Mundus+Stones

The Lady give 1280 armor, and 7 Legendary divines pushes it up to 1952 (difference of 672)

Legendary reinforced will add 16% armor per piece. So as long as that adds up to more than 672 combined (I'm assuming it will) it looks like the way to go.
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • Thecapeo
    Thecapeo
    ✭✭✭
    That's awesome. Thanks for that info.
  • Thecapeo
    Thecapeo
    ✭✭✭
    Now I'm torn. I'm running DW and S/1H and I know I'm going Hunding's. That gives more 4 slots to work with. I like the extra spell resist from Whitestrake's but the 4th piece health regen is kinda meh. I could stack more armor with a combo of 2 pieces mentioned above. But even as a stam DK I find I run into big issues when my Magicka runs dry as both my CC and active active mitigation come from that pool so I'm almost considering 4 piece Seducer. Unfortunately I don't have enough CPs to get good regen on both stam and magicka. Guess the best bet is first to see how the reinforced Hunding's feels then decide from there what I need to prioritize.
  • Dyride
    Dyride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that each 650 Armor/spell resist is 1% mitigation with a cap at 50%.

Using the medium armor skill Evasion gives 20% passive dodge, so there are other ways to build damage resistance besides increasing Armor.

Blocking using a sword and shield gives 20% increased mitigation. Slotting Defensive Posture gives 8% additional mitigation.

V Є H Є M Є И C Є
      Ḍ̼̭͔yride

Revenge of the Bear

ØMNI
      Solongandthanksforallthef
      Revenge of the Hist
      Revenge of the Deer

Remember the Great Burn of of the Blackwater War!

#FreeArgonia
    1. Thecapeo
      Thecapeo
      ✭✭✭
      Ah okay. So beyond the realm of 19.5K (30%) I could hit the cap using a skill I already use and a sword and board I already use. That opens up much more build possibilities actually.
    2. GreenSoup2HoT
      GreenSoup2HoT
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Keep in mind that each 650 Armor/spell resist is 1% mitigation with a cap at 50%.

Using the medium armor skill Evasion gives 20% passive dodge, so there are other ways to build damage resistance besides increasing Armor.

Blocking using a sword and shield gives 20% increased mitigation. Slotting Defensive Posture gives 8% additional mitigation.
      Thecapeo wrote: »
      Ah okay. So beyond the realm of 19.5K (30%) I could hit the cap using a skill I already use and a sword and board I already use. That opens up much more build possibilities actually.

Mitigation cap's at 50% for Armour only. You could potentially use bolstering darkness for 60% more mitigation. All the value's are multiplicative though instead of additive so you cannot reach 100% but you can get pretty close.

So it's best to still get your Armour to cap out at 50% mitigation then use other form's of mitigation as well.

However, in live. There are so many penetration exploit's/bug's that trying to stack armour is pointless. Your better off being a glass cannon till IC DLC. Right now in PTS there are issue's with some Armour stacking tank's with sustain being un-killable because penetration is not much of an issue anymore.

Tank's are a lot more viable next patch and 1vX'ers complain because they cannot kill a tank. However it's a tank, they are the king's of 1v1 if built correctly but in 1vX can die rather quickly without pushing out the damage.

So i recommend either building a dps/stamina block tank for live until Armour matter's once the dlc arrive's.
      Edited by GreenSoup2HoT on August 28, 2015 9:59AM
      PS4 NA DC
    3. Thecapeo
      Thecapeo
      ✭✭✭
      Is a block tank going to viable with changes to stam regen though? I'm pretty limited in the CP department at the moment.
    4. Rune_Relic
      Rune_Relic
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Edited by Rune_Relic on August 29, 2015 3:39PM
      Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
    5. Minno
      Minno
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Thecapeo wrote: »
      Is a block tank going to viable with changes to stam regen though? I'm pretty limited in the CP department at the moment.

I'd say you now need to supplement your blocking with passive/skill mitigation.
      Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
      - Guild-lead for MV
      - Filthy Casual