The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Argonians Still Need Love - So Why Not Let Them Attack While Swimming?

Ixtyr
Ixtyr
✭✭✭✭✭
Interesting idea that came up in TeamSpeak earlier today, felt like sharing it - since Argonians seem to be fairly upset with their passives (to put it nicely), why not allow them to engage in combat while they're swimming?

It'd fit with lore, obviously - but if you allow an Argonian character to attack while swimming on the surface, be it attacking another player who is swimming OR activate a ranged ability (a la Snipe or Swallow Soul, etc) on a player on land (within the proper horizontal range for that attack), that would add a very interesting, fun, powerful-but-situational mechanic to the main race in the game right now that I think most of us can agree needs a bit of love.

Thoughts?

---

Oh, and just for full disclosure - I don't have/play an Argonian, so I'll be relying on actual Argonian players to say yay/nay as to whether they'd like this mechanic.
Ixtyr Falavir - Bosmer Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant
Reya Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
Kaylin Falavir - Dunmer Nightblade - Ebonheart Pact
---
Alyna Falavir - Dunmer Dragonknight - Daggerfall Covenant
Aernah Falavir - Altmer Templar - Daggerfall Covenant
Aranis Falavir - Bosmer Sorcerer - Daggerfall Covenant
Aerin Falavir - Bosmer Warden - Daggerfall Covenant
Rhys Falavir - Orc Sorcerer - Aldmeri Dominion
Rhiannon Falavir - Altmer Templar - Aldmeri Dominion
Nenara Falavir - Argonian Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
Neera Falavir - Orc Warden - Aldmeri Dominion
---
The Ska'vyn Exchange - Guild Master
Vehemence - Officer
Nightfighters - Member
-
Ømni - Guild Master (Retired)
---
Moderator of /r/elderscrollsonline
  • Thymos
    Thymos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, like that'd be fair. An argonian player hanging out in the water, sniping people. Someone uses a gap closer on you, and then they cannot attack, because they're in the water.

No thanks on this one. It's way too unbalancing. You also have to keep in mind, a lot of NPC mobs wont go in the water at all, so it would break PvE too.
    The Older Gamers Recruitment Thread
    Always accepting new members for NA and EU server. PvP PvE RP all welcome. Must be 25+ yo to join.
    http://www.theoldergamers.com/
  • Ixtyr
    Ixtyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But realistically, how many NPCs are near a body of water? And the range of abilities is not incredibly long anyhow. And you can't stealth while swimming, so people would see you there. You could snipe them back while on the shore.

It's situational enough that I don't think it'd be too much of a balance issue. There are also counters to it, like Slaughterfish in some bodies of water and people being able to snipe from land or hide behind rocks/walls near the water to LOS the swimmer.
    ---
    ---
    Vehemence - Officer
    Nightfighters - Member
    -
    ---
  • wafcatb14_ESO
    wafcatb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    to bad they did`nt have underwater game play, One of the things i miss from other MMOS and from all the Elder Scrolls games, Underwater fighting, Underwater Dungeons etc, are fun
  • Ixtyr
    Ixtyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    to bad they did`nt have underwater game play, One of the things i miss from other MMOS and from all the Elder Scrolls games, Underwater fighting, Underwater Dungeons etc, are fun

I sort of agree with this - but even so, underwater gameplay has always been a challenge for developers, and I've rarely enjoyed it in other MMOs. GW2's system is awful, RIFT was okay in their last expansion, WoW has tried it and had an okay system, but it's never been that great in my experience. Plus, with ZOS stating that they probably won't add underwater gameplay for a LONG time, if ever, letting Argonians take a bit more advantage of 'surface swimming' would add a somewhat cool mechanic, at least as far as I'm concerned.
    ---
    ---
    Vehemence - Officer
    Nightfighters - Member
    -
    ---
  • NDwarf
    NDwarf
    ✭✭✭
    Won't work for PvE, if a monster can't hit you it resets.

For PvP'er, from my experience if you can be seen, then you will die. Being out of stealth in a pool of water is just begging to be killed. On the plus side, no one can teabag your corpse in the water.
    "When people !@# with you you !@# with them ten times worse. Next thing you know, you're in a motel room with 24 beers and a half bucket of chicken. You see, that's how you get things done." Ricky, Trailer Park Boys.
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps Argonians need a "Summon Flying Slaughterfish" ability when near the water to attack their enemies (but can only be on cast while on land of course). OP? Absolutely. But give every race a situational skill to compensate.

The potion passive for Argonians makes for dry scales.
  • VoidBlue
    VoidBlue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Argonians need love? is that why i always keep finding Lusty argonian maid drawing books when i steal from lockboxes?
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Argonians should be very buoyant and swim in the air. I hear they have very low density so that could work.
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
  • FloppyFrank
    FloppyFrank
    ✭✭✭
    11/10 thread would read again
    Seriously these posts are great
    I'm not sarcastic even though it may sound like it
    Xbone GT: x mech duck x
  • dday3six
    dday3six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are too many races to try and add something cheeky to each one that can be fun and also actually useful.

Argonians need something that will help them fill a roll, not a cheeky gimmick.