Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The Prisoner of Jothsogur and how it worked for me

TwzytedFrye
Alright, figured I would post this as in game (at least on ps4) it's been a hot issue with a multitude of theories on it working or why it's broken.

One thing we can all agree on is that is is indeed broken. However, I found out today that it doesn't have to stay that way with some patience. No doubt most of us have sat in that room with it telling us to "defend the silvenar" while 40 people frantically run around throwing theories and yelling at those killing the enemy that spawns up top.

I have to admit I did it as well and I was wrong. They were right to kill her... well half right. I found today that it isn't an issue on whether or not to kill her, it's the quest is actually MAKING you skip (albeit not intentionally) a key part prior to defending the silvenar. To highlight this I will list in my own words in order how the quest should progress.

*talks to silvenar on road or wherever you find him
1.Save ambassadors
2.Collect ritual book
3.Talk to female ambassador
4.Collect binding (or ritual stone) stone
5.Talk to male ambassador
6.In hut, talk to each and sacrifice one
7.Deactivate (or destroy) the 4 tower crystals
8.Find where he is being held\defeat captor (hint to search fortress on hill)
9. TALK TO THE SILVENAR
10. Defend the Silvenar
11. Talk to the Silvenar

Now how I figured my fix out is after sitting on Defend the Silvenar for 4 days getting nowhere, I decided to say screw it and abandon the quest\restart it. Now, once I did that and got back to step 8, I walked to the fortress door and noticed something. As soon as I reached the door it automatically put me on defend the silvenar skipping step 9 altogether. This is the glitch, it's essentially force failing you on a key part to continue.

Without going inside I stepped away from the door, logged out and logged back in. I noticed I was back to step 8, proceeded inside and noticed only a couple others were inside with me. From here it went on without a hitch. Now I'm not sure if I just got lucky with the relog or what, but I at least wanted to post this as a method for anyone else to try. If it helps someone then I'm glad I did.

And as a side note, I can say with certainty now she is most definitely NOT supposed to go downstairs and summon anything. She should be killed up top, just have to not let the quest line pass over an important step.
5 out of 6 people like playing Russian Roulette.
  • Miqula
    Miqula
    Grats! Yes you were lucky that you spawned into a "clean" instance with no one bugged on defend. If everyone would start passing the truth instead of the rumors they hear in the room from players who have never completed the quest, everyone could complete the quest =)

Logging in and out has the potential to spawn you into a clean instance or having every single person on the quest go out to reset at the tree - send one person in to start the quest and everyone zone in once she is dead, the quest will advance for everyone that kills the chief down stairs... So as long as one person has killed the capture and can now " talk to the silvanar"... Everyone can comets it on the defend portion
  • Miqula
    Miqula
    Thank you for being part of the fix and not part of the problem
  • Miqula
    Miqula
    The quest actually bugs ( and infects every player that zones in after) when the upstairs and down stairs mobs get killed together by people on different parts of the quest... It messes up the flags for which part you're on.
  • Miqula
    Miqula
    I'm not sure how to edit my posts:

Everyone who comes in during the waves spawning... As long as you go downstairs ( skip killing the capture upstairs or risk getting bugged) you will get completion credit ... As long as you are down stairs when the chief ( wave 4) is killed.

So another strategy is to just log out at night down stairs and check in the morning ... You might pop into a waves spawning and you get credit.
  • TwzytedFrye
    If you look closely in the top right of your post there should be a gear. If you click on that it should provide you the ability to edit.

And I figured I may have gotten lucky, but hopefully the information given helps clear things up for some. I found that for at least me, once I was jumped to the defend part no amount of reloading or leaving cleared it up. As soon as I abandoned and redid it (line takes like 15 minutes tops) I didn't have that issue so may be a help for some.

My one tip would be if you're at step 8 don't just run in the door. Go up to it first, if you see it switch to step 10 you need to leave or log out and come back in. Go through the door once coming up to it (like character face against the door) doesn't jump you to 10. If it stays on 8 you can go in.
    Edited by TwzytedFrye on July 16, 2015 5:02PM
    5 out of 6 people like playing Russian Roulette.
  • ShimpFieRie
    I just got on and I finally did it. You just have to wait until every single person is gone. Wait until they have lost hope and leave. I left when 20+ people were on and then I get back on and I finally finished it since it launched on PS4. One whole month, I've waited. Hopefully you will be lucky to log on when no one is on.
    Hail Sithis!