Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templar Tank

chrystalwhite
hey guys,

I currently have a Nord Templar. but i really want to tank with it. I am currently using the Aedric spear.

Am i doing it wrong and if so what is the best one for a templar tank?
Also i use a 2h sword is that a problem for a tank or doesnt it really matter.

I am currently having issues keeping all the mobs on me, thats why i ask it.
Aldmeri Dominion, European server.

Aedric spear Templar V1
Playstation 4

Best Answer

• Brasseurfb16_ESO
    Brasseurfb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tanking in ESO is a bit different compared to tanking in other games.

Your role is to keep threat from priority targets and disrupt ennemies going after your team. To do so, you have to use AoE to damage ennemies around you to keep their attention on you while your team focus specific targets and have some crowdcontrol to help mitigate the potential damage ennemies can deal to you are your team.

You can tank adds with a Two-handed weapon and Brawler (Cleave morph) but you will definitly need to carry a Sword&Board as secondary weapon set if you want to tank the bosses in this game for Vet content. You also will need a taunt, one is part of the Sword&Board weapon set (Puncture) and the other is part of the Undaunted Guild set (Inner Fire) to keep priority targets on yourself. (note : taunting the same target more than 3 times over 12sec will cause it to stop focussing its attention on you)

But if you want to succesfully tank as a Templar, you should definitly do a bit of WvW and unlock the caltrops ability, it is a massive AoE DoT Snare that will make it much easier for you to keep aggro from most ennemies in dungeons. Also try to level up all your skill lines, having more abilities makes you flexible which is always a good thing.
    Answer ✓
  • chrystalwhite
    Tanking in ESO is a bit different compared to tanking in other games.

Your role is to keep threat from priority targets and disrupt ennemies going after your team. To do so, you have to use AoE to damage ennemies around you to keep their attention on you while your team focus specific targets and have some crowdcontrol to help mitigate the potential damage ennemies can deal to you are your team.

You can tank adds with a Two-handed weapon and Brawler (Cleave morph) but you will definitly need to carry a Sword&Board as secondary weapon set if you want to tank the bosses in this game for Vet content. You also will need a taunt, one is part of the Sword&Board weapon set (Puncture) and the other is part of the Undaunted Guild set (Inner Fire) to keep priority targets on yourself. (note : taunting the same target more than 3 times over 12sec will cause it to stop focussing its attention on you)

But if you want to succesfully tank as a Templar, you should definitly do a bit of WvW and unlock the caltrops ability, it is a massive AoE DoT Snare that will make it much easier for you to keep aggro from most ennemies in dungeons. Also try to level up all your skill lines, having more abilities makes you flexible which is always a good thing.

thanks! i will def try to work with that!
    Aldmeri Dominion, European server.

Aedric spear Templar V1
    Playstation 4