The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

PS4 does NOT play at 30 FPS. Major FPS drops, stuttering etc and no dev answer yet...

treyu86
treyu86
PS4 version (don't know if XBoxOne too) is always stuttering, with fps drops while running like it does not feel fluid. It is like playing with110-15 FPS. I have seen plenty of posts about this but no dev answer us or tell us if they know there is a problem with performance in consoles, because there really is. I am not talking about lag due to release and many people online, I am talking about graphic performance in ps4 when we were told that the game would run at constant 30 fps (and we have to remember that graphic quality already got downgraded versus PC)

So can any dev please answer us and adknowledge there is a problem here?

[Moderator Note: Edited title to remove bashing / misinformation]
Edited by ZOS_ArtG on June 10, 2015 4:20PM
  • BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same goes in PC/MAC but right now it is better for us, a lot have left us so makes it a lot smoother.
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • treyu86
    treyu86
    BigM wrote: »
    Same goes in PC/MAC but right now it is better for us, a lot have left us so makes it a lot smoother.

again, I am not talking about population issue and lag. It is a graphic optimization problem in consoles.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do these frame rate drops occur everywhere or just in towns where lots of players are congregating? 99% of the time, you are not in town, so see what it is like in combat and dungeons. Right now, everyone is in the first cities and that will hurt frame rates. Once they move on and start doing things, the towns will get better.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    hahahahahahaha

(not at you, at zos)

rip decibel
  • PikkonMG
    PikkonMG
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't had any issues on PS4 unless im in town around alot of people.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what did you expect when playing on a better toaster?
    Edited by Tankqull on June 10, 2015 3:55PM
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• BigM
    BigM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    treyu86 wrote: »
    BigM wrote: »

again, I am not talking about population issue and lag. It is a graphic optimization problem in consoles.

Wonder why people have had this problem from beta to now in PC/MAC then? But really I expect it is due to over population right now. But yes others have had this problem and no fix has been found for them.
    “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking
  • Heishi
    Heishi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to ESO
    And so did many brave men, women, and beast fall to the end of Beta, never to be heard from again. All that is left, is whispers of the adventures they had.
  • Hawk269
    Hawk269
    ✭✭✭
    PikkonMG wrote: »

This.

What you are experiencing OP is not Frame Rate issues, it is the LAG in the game due to the players everywhere. I am on Xbox One and had the same issue. But since I had a high level PC character, I teleported to a high level area where new players would not be yet and it was smooth without a hitch and it was in a large town with many more building and npc characters.

Right now, they need to figure out how to improve the lag because it is annoying and gives a bad impression. However, coming from the PC version, lag was also very persistent.

So you were not lied too, the games performance is fine, the issue is the lag, which hopefully they can figure out how to improve.
  • lsneakl
    lsneakl
    ✭✭✭
    Have not noticed this issue on Xbox except when its a network issue. It has only occurred as I look voice chat and I am likely about to crash.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawk269 wrote: »

This.

What you are experiencing OP is not Frame Rate issues, it is the LAG in the game due to the players everywhere. I am on Xbox One and had the same issue. But since I had a high level PC character, I teleported to a high level area where new players would not be yet and it was smooth without a hitch and it was in a large town with many more building and npc characters.

Right now, they need to figure out how to improve the lag because it is annoying and gives a bad impression. However, coming from the PC version, lag was also very persistent.

So you were not lied too, the games performance is fine, the issue is the lag, which hopefully they can figure out how to improve.

This again. I was in Stormhaven and went to Rawl on my Vet AD and it was smooth as can be. For kicks I ported to Vuhkelguard and it was stuttering, lagging and all sorts.. but there was TONS of people there. (PS4)

So, in a perfect world, the game does reach those expectations.. same as my PC (er, well, PC gets WAY higher FPS) but the point is when I'm in a busy town on PC - my FPS drops and I MAY experience lag, and seems to be the same on PS4.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • helbjorn
    helbjorn
    ✭✭
    I had this same issue on PC around hubs and highly populated dungeons and always assumed it was lag. I decreased my graphics quality slightly and the problem resolved completely and immediately. FPS remains in the 40's since and the game still looks great.
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    helbjorn wrote: »
    I had this same issue on PC around hubs and highly populated dungeons and always assumed it was lag. I decreased my graphics quality slightly and the problem resolved completely and immediately. FPS remains in the 40's since and the game still looks great.

Agreed. The problem the OP is experiencing is most likely due to playing on potato hardware.
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    nastuug wrote: »

Agreed. The problem the OP is experiencing is most likely due to playing on potato hardware.

100% correct. I don't know what people expected the game ot perform like when they are running it on AMD mobile-grade processors. You take an MMO, which are notoriously CPU-bound, and then expect anything near steady FPS when playing on said hardware? I've been wondering how they were going to pull it off since day 1, and the answer is, you can't.

Hell, on PC in Cyrodil i regularly dropped into the 30s my i7-4790k . Good luck with that on consoles.

EDIT: And for people calling this LAG, it is NOT lag. Lag is when you're are sitting at 60FPS, but nothing is responsive. No attacks are registering, you rubberband back and forth, everyone else is immobile, etc. Lag is a network or server issue. FPS drops and stuttering are hardware issues.
    Edited by Sallington on June 10, 2015 4:42PM
    Daggerfall Covenant
    Sallington - Templar - Stormproof - Prefect II
    Cobham - Sorcerer - Stormproof - First Sergeant II
    Shallington - NightBlade - Lieutenant |
    Balmorah - Templar - Sergeant ||
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So in town around lots of people is bad...

Huh. Wonder what pvp around a lot of people will be like?

I'm watching Towelliee stream console questing play, I don't see that he's experiencing lag. 'Course he's out all by his lonesome.

My wife complains that I never listen to her. (Or something like that.)
    -- I'm a one man smurf zerg!

My ESO addons:
    Midnight - Find out when midnight is so that you can check for ww/vamp spawn.
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was the same on PC when there still was enough population in the starter cities to cause the lag.
    On my PS4 in veteran zones it is smooth as silk, go to a starter city and you get the lag caused by overpopulation.
    This will smooth out in time as the population advances into other zones.
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hawk269 wrote: »
    the issue is the lag, which hopefully they can figure out how to improve.
    Right. Just like they have been able to figure out how to fix the lag in Cyrodiil for PC players? Hopefully it's going to get better once people spread out and not clump together in the starting zones, but their "Megaserver" architecture was supposed to be able to handle this, and it very obviously failed.
    The problem the OP is experiencing is most likely due to playing on potato hardware.
    Duh. Console version. You might want to call the PS4 a "potato", but upgrading the hardware is not an option.
  • ijacksparrowed
    ijacksparrowed
    ✭✭✭
    As a PC player that has been here since the first beta, everything will be fixed someday, not today, not this week but someday.
  • coryevans_3b14_ESO
    coryevans_3b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a PC player that has been here since the first beta, everything will be fixed someday, not today, not this week but someday.

I think you meant....

Soon(tm)
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS4 version (don't know if XBoxOne too) is always stuttering, with fps drops while running like it does not feel fluid. It is like playing with110-15 FPS. I have seen plenty of posts about this but no dev answer us or tell us if they know there is a problem with performance in consoles, because there really is. I am not talking about lag due to release and many people online, I am talking about graphic performance in ps4 when we were told that the game would run at constant 30 fps (and we have to remember that graphic quality already got downgraded versus PC)

So can any dev please answer us and adknowledge there is a problem here?

[Moderator Note: Edited title to remove bashing / misinformation]

On PC I can run around with 70+ FPS most of the time.

But my game will still randomly drop to 15fps, or freeze for 5 seconds when entering combat.

If I have settings to get 70+ FPS there is no excuse for it dropping all the way to 15 or worse.. or freezing when entering combat.

Looks like some of the issues made it into console. Sorry to hear this.
  • Rook_Master
    Rook_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's because people are everywhere in the starter areas.

You can go to higher level zones and it's fine. Some people are speculating it's because of how the proximity voice chat lumps people together.
  • treyu86
    treyu86
    Call it what you want, I don't care. Console version was said to play at constant 30 fps, and as it is a CONSOLE version, it must run with no lag in the consolo and no stuttering does not matter what happens around you. Lot of people around cause this? Then dont sell the game on consoles (1 year later btw...) till you have a fix...

WE don't have to undestand anything, just play the game we were told it was. DEVs must understand things, fix them and talk about known problems, not stay silence...
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    Call it what you want, I don't care. Console version was said to play at constant 30 fps, and as it is a CONSOLE version, it must run with no lag in the consolo and no stuttering does not matter what happens around you. Lot of people around cause this? Then dont sell the game on consoles (1 year later btw...) till you have a fix...

WE don't have to undestand anything, just play the game we were told it was. DEVs must understand things, fix them and talk about known problems, not stay silence...

Where were you told it would be a constant 30 fps?
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MCMancub wrote: »

Where were you told it would be a constant 30 fps?
    Hey there, folks. We do have an answer for this available on our knowledge base: our targets for framerate and resolution on both PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are 30 FPS and 1080p resolution.

If that ever changes, we will update that article.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/1808556/#Comment_1808556

Keyword: target
  • nastuug
    nastuug
    ✭✭✭✭✭

100% correct. I don't know what people expected the game ot perform like when they are running it on AMD mobile-grade processors. You take an MMO, which are notoriously CPU-bound, and then expect anything near steady FPS when playing on said hardware? I've been wondering how they were going to pull it off since day 1, and the answer is, you can't.

Hell, on PC in Cyrodil i regularly dropped into the 30s my i7-4790k . Good luck with that on consoles.

EDIT: And for people calling this LAG, it is NOT lag. Lag is when you're are sitting at 60FPS, but nothing is responsive. No attacks are registering, you rubberband back and forth, everyone else is immobile, etc. Lag is a network or server issue. FPS drops and stuttering are hardware issues.

@Sallington Exactly. I guess the average console user doesn't understand the severe limitation of the piddling hardware that is their XB1/PS4...
  • Caesar Tantalia
    Caesar Tantalia
    ✭✭✭
    I believe alot of issues are also caused not by lag but because of hard drive load. On PC is run at around 70 or higher FPS and ping is sitting steady at around 90 - 110. But still, when entering a new busy area, the load time for e.g. NPCs, smaller items e.g. around the undaunted area (chests, tents, ...) , doors as well, stairs, ... can be high. So first you see a low level detailed skin and later the high res loads. Same goes for talking to NPCs.

You see something similar on PS4 (don't have an xbox). People running around in black because the skin/mesh hasn't loaded yet.

I believe this is all due because of the slow capacity of the HD. My laptop came with the standard slow HD5800RpM. I recently swapped that one for an SSD - now guess what? All of the above is gone.

I tested and tried several things over the last year and got a very stable game. The last issue for me was solved by replacing my HD with an SSD.

If I'm right, ZOS has a serious issue for PS4 and likely also X-box. To my knowledge, you cannot change the HD on PS4 so only solution is downscaling the level of detail .... bummer I guess.

If that is true, I'll stick to PC and will never look back.
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

@Sallington Exactly. I guess the average console user doesn't understand the severe limitation of the piddling hardware that is their XB1/PS4...

The funny part is that the same hardware needs to last another 4-5 years somehow.
    Daggerfall Covenant
  • colbycadwell
    colbycadwell
    ✭✭

Err this is exactly what is happening on ps4. So ya. It is lag
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't aware the

The funny part is that the same hardware needs to last another 4-5 years somehow.

I wasn't aware the ESO forums had turned into the PC Master Race circle. And I say this as a PC player.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Sallington
    Sallington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    I wasn't aware the

I wasn't aware the ESO forums had turned into the PC Master Race circle. And I say this as a PC player.

Am I wrong? Saying their hardware needs to last another 4-5 years is just the truth. Unless I missed something and consoles can be upgraded.

To be honest, I'm just bitter because the console release has been a gigantic slap in the face to any PC player who supported the game since launch.
    Edited by Sallington on June 10, 2015 5:56PM
    Daggerfall Covenant