Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Charging Your Staff For A Heavy Attack....How? O.o

Blade_07
Blade_07
✭✭✭✭
I have always believed that a heavy attack for a staff is just simply holding down the left mouse button. If there is a way to charge a heavy attack and then release it with a staff I'm not aware of that. Under the destruction staff category there is a passive ability that is called Ancient Knowledge which reduces the time it takes to charge a heavy attack +5%. This is why I'm wondering if I'm some how missing out on something. Didnt know there was a way to "charge" your heavy attacks according to what this passive says. So, IF there is way to actually charge your heavy staff attacks then how is that done? Thnx for the help and thanx for not treating me like I'm some noob.

Ancient_Knowledge.jpg
“Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope.”

• Paradox
    Paradox
    ✭✭✭✭
    Holding down LMB charges a heavy attack. Releasing LMB prior to the staff firing the full-heavy-attack is called a medium attack.

It reduces the time it takes to charge it to its maximum damage potential.
    Ebonheart Pact
    @iHateReloads
    Tank And Spank - DragonKnight
    I've quit the game until ZoS stops acting like the community are children, and start actually listening to us.
  • Arkadius
    Arkadius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a fire staff for example. A heavy attack is charged when the fireballs launch off (by holding the left mouse button). This takes about two seconds or so. "Ancient Knowledge" just reduces this time by 5%
  • Raash
    Raash
    ✭✭✭✭
    wrap some lead around the top of the staff and make a powerfull swing with it.
  • Blade_07
    Blade_07
    ✭✭✭✭
    Paradox wrote: »
    Holding down LMB charges a heavy attack. Releasing LMB prior to the staff firing the full-heavy-attack is called a medium attack.

It reduces the time it takes to charge it to its maximum damage potential.

Thank you VERY much! That completely explains it for me. Seen a blast at the end of the heavy attack but didnt know that was the charged attack. I just thought it was cool sound effects. hitting_self.gif
    “Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope.”

• Blade_07
    Blade_07
    ✭✭✭✭
    Raash wrote: »

Face_Palm.gif

• glak
    glak
    ✭✭✭
    Lead tipped bo staff = mace version of a spear. Dents armor into body cavities and bone. Increases armor penetration by 10%.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    glak wrote: »
    Lead tipped bo staff = mace version of a spear. Dents armor into body cavities and bone. Increases armor penetration by 10%.
    I wish they had quarterstaffs and pole weapons in this game.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xiana wrote: »
    Take a fire staff for example. A heavy attack is charged when the fireballs launch off (by holding the left mouse button). This takes about two seconds or so. "Ancient Knowledge" just reduces this time by 5%

2 seconds? It feels like ten, and when I have the Ancient Knowledge complete, it still feels like 9 lol ..
    By the time I charge a full heavy, I get attacked from 10 enemies and at least feared once which breaks the charge anyways^^
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• Blade_07
    Blade_07
    ✭✭✭✭

2 seconds? It feels like ten, and when I have the Ancient Knowledge complete, it still feels like 9 lol ..
    By the time I charge a full heavy, I get attacked from 10 enemies and at least feared once which breaks the charge anyways^^

Yeah, I really dont see much use for it my self. I'm almost never attacking with my staff.

• Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blade_07 wrote: »

Yeah, I really dont see much use for it my self. I'm almost never attacking with my staff.

I do attack with it, first a heavy attack as an opener (before the enemies notice me, if possible^^), then I alternate between skills and light attacks. I love to do a heavy attack followed by Destructive Reach (with a flame staff it knocks the enemy back) :) But in the middle of combat, there's no time for a heavy attack, it takes soooo long..
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• dafox187
    dafox187
    ✭✭✭

dirty dragon knights

don't get mad at my spelling, autocorrect doesn't cover fantasy.
    Why couldn't the Khajiit go to the party? She had to be Elsweyr.
  • stojekarcub18_ESO
    stojekarcub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only really use staff attacks when I'm using healing staff...and that's basically so I'm doing SOMETHING in between heals and purges and such. Plus whatever enchant you have on it is always nice to utilize.

When on my destro mage, I rarely attack with my staff, as my skills do much more dmg and the magicka pool & cooldowns(or lack there-of) for sorcs is so OP.

I haven't tried staffs on any other builds, so I can't comment on that. But for the 2 instances where I use a staff, that's my two cents.

Edit: At first said (In PVP) for the healing part, but then I thought about it, and pve I do the same, really.
    Edited by stojekarcub18_ESO on May 30, 2015 10:38PM
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Blade_07 wrote: »

For a dragon knight after 1.6, one can get good dps 14k+ with full heavy attacks from inferno staves doing the bulk of their damage. I also get good numbers medium weaving fire /with funnel health on a Dunmer magicka NB. Do not underestimate medium/ heavy attack weaving.
    Edited by PBpsy on May 31, 2015 1:45AM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)