The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Templar Heavy Armor Magicka build

iseko
iseko
✭✭✭✭
Hey guys,

Here is a vid of my build. Templar Heavy Armor Magicka Build. The point was to make a templar without resto/destro combo. Also wanted to stick to gear that was relatively easily accessable. It's not done yet, still got to tweak it (and upgrade gear) but it is at a point where I am failr comfortable with it.

This is my first vid. I suck at editing and am using mostly freeware (so sorry about that).

Any comments/suggestions/ideas are welcome. Constructive criticism :) (trolls go back to alessia bridge please)

Cheers!

EDIT: fighting starts at about 10 min if you want to skip past the boring stuff. Few clips I recorded yesterday real quick.

https://youtu.be/S1WNNDlDv9c
Edited by iseko on May 24, 2015 11:13PM
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magica and heavy armor do not majorly go together. Possible, but not going to do the damage of a light armored mage. And at the defense does not help someone wanting to do damage
  • iseko
    iseko
    ✭✭✭✭
    PKMN12 wrote: »
    Magica and heavy armor do not majorly go together. Possible, but not going to do the damage of a light armored mage. And at the defense does not help someone wanting to do damage

True, but I have a VR14 sorc and I find the class kind of boring. Don't know why. Using LA as a templar on the frontlines is going to hurt you... bad... I tried xD. I've always liked my templar eventhough of the glaring problems with it atm.

Plus: It's not really in the video but when I'm running with my group this build can give stamina to tanks (luminous shards) and burst heals when necessary. Healing a friend who got stunned or whatever, keeping him alive while people are still hitting me... Its nice. Being able to shrug off 5 jesus beams at once is also always fun :). But yea: a true dps build with heavy armor is prob not going to work.
  • Ryuho
    Ryuho
    ✭✭✭✭
    iseko wrote: »

True, but I have a VR14 sorc and I find the class kind of boring. Don't know why. Using LA as a templar on the frontlines is going to hurt you... bad... I tried xD. I've always liked my templar eventhough of the glaring problems with it atm.

Plus: It's not really in the video but when I'm running with my group this build can give stamina to tanks (luminous shards) and burst heals when necessary. Healing a friend who got stunned or whatever, keeping him alive while people are still hitting me... Its nice. Being able to shrug off 5 jesus beams at once is also always fun :). But yea: a true dps build with heavy armor is prob not going to work.

Yeah exactly. I ve tried 5 heavy armor build, and just missed spell penetration to much. I ve switched to 5L 1M 1H, and i am really enjoying my templar again :smile: Whitestrake set is the way to go as LA templar + ~28k HP to make blazing usable.
    The Farron family team (EU)
    sorcerer - Rubeus Farron AR31
    templar - Selene Farron AR27
    nightblade - Ryuho Farron AR25
    stamplar - Nura Farron AR10
    stamsorcerer - Kitty Farron AR14 (adopted member)
    DK - Ryu Farron AR17

RETIRED

CU - next mmo
  • iseko
    iseko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ryuho wrote: »

Yeah exactly. I ve tried 5 heavy armor build, and just missed spell penetration to much. I ve switched to 5L 1M 1H, and i am really enjoying my templar again :smile: Whitestrake set is the way to go as LA templar + ~28k HP to make blazing usable.

Tried it. Whitestrakes is nice but it only procs once every 15seconds. A 10k shield goes down fast even with one person hitting you. Blazing shield... Useless imho. 28k hp means u sacrific lots of magicka. The raw dps will suffer for it. Even with higher spell penetration from using 5LA pieces ure dmg is lower.

If timed right: the proxy det + dawnbreaker of smiting alone hits for around 20k base dmg. Not counting players resists... Even if they have 50% passive mitigation that xomes down to a 10k burst. I enter with toppling charge which does 4k base dmg. 1/4 chance that burning light procs, another 3k dmg. I follow up with jesus beam or puncturing sweep. My jesus beam has a 12k base dmg. All of this is without any critical hits.

If you have 5 piece light. Lets say 2.4k spell dmg and 20k magicka. Ure dmg is lower and even with blazing shield/whitestrake I felt the survivability is lower. The sustain is higher but what does it matter if you die after 2 seconds?

I might have been playing that build wrong but it was my conclusion
  • Ryuho
    Ryuho
    ✭✭✭✭

Tried it. Whitestrakes is nice but it only procs once every 15seconds. A 10k shield goes down fast even with one person hitting you. Blazing shield... Useless imho. 28k hp means u sacrific lots of magicka. The raw dps will suffer for it. Even with higher spell penetration from using 5LA pieces ure dmg is lower.

If timed right: the proxy det + dawnbreaker of smiting alone hits for around 20k base dmg. Not counting players resists... Even if they have 50% passive mitigation that xomes down to a 10k burst. I enter with toppling charge which does 4k base dmg. 1/4 chance that burning light procs, another 3k dmg. I follow up with jesus beam or puncturing sweep. My jesus beam has a 12k base dmg. All of this is without any critical hits.

If you have 5 piece light. Lets say 2.4k spell dmg and 20k magicka. Ure dmg is lower and even with blazing shield/whitestrake I felt the survivability is lower. The sustain is higher but what does it matter if you die after 2 seconds?

My build is kinda diffrent. Spell powa/Magicka is not so important to hit hard imo. I am focused on flame dmg, my dots hit really hard. My templar is a dunmer, also I ve boosted fire dmg in CP system - 20% dmg incr from flame effects in total.

I use reflective light + flame reach as CC + valkyn set. Dot htis 2k evry 1s, with entropy applied even more + dmg from entropy dot (even ~3k from 3dots), also I am not saying i am relying on valkyn, but all my skills are "dot like" so it proc almost always, ~ hits around 10k, depands naturally on som1 gear. And reflective is so spammable, 1.1k mana or so, cheap.. U say esy to dodge for perma dodgers, well yeah, use jesus and they stop "dodge dance" and jesus followed with valkyn proc = dead in 90% cases.

Well, reflective light (+10% crit)+ dege (+20% next spell) + meteor + jesus beam and u can nuke esy any1, but actualy i am testing dawnbreaker, maybe i will drop bats for it.

I have 27.5k HP, 26.5k MP, 13.5k Stamina with food. Around 1.9k+ spell powa with dege.

But yeah, play as u like, thats the beuty of this game :wink:

And your build is also interesting, maybe gonna try topling, but curently i am really enjoying dot like templar :smiley:

Also its just my feeling, but without whitestrake and with 20k HP as light armor user, i had a lot of problems vs 2 stamina users, now i can esy tank them, whitestraek proc is enough to refresh blazing + give u eough time to heal 100% hp, and 8k + blazing shield with 15k armor and 41k spell resist (cause channeled focus) protects u well.

DK - Ryu Farron AR17

RETIRED

CU - next mmo
  • iseko
    iseko
    ✭✭✭✭

My build is kinda diffrent. Spell powa/Magicka is not so important to hit hard imo. I am focused on flame dmg, my dots hit really hard. My templar is a dunmer, also I ve boosted fire dmg in CP system - 20% dmg incr from flame effects in total.

I use reflective light + flame reach as CC + valkyn set. Dot htis 2k evry 1s, with entropy applied even more + dmg from entropy dot (even ~3k from 3dots), also I am not saying i am relying on valkyn, but all my skills are "dot like" so it proc almost always, ~ hits around 10k, depands naturally on som1 gear. And reflective is so spammable, 1.1k mana or so, cheap.. U say esy to dodge for perma dodgers, well yeah, use jesus and they stop "dodge dance" and jesus followed with valkyn proc = dead in 90% cases.

Well, reflective light (+10% crit)+ dege (+20% next spell) + meteor + jesus beam and u can nuke esy any1, but actualy i am testing dawnbreaker, maybe i will drop bats for it.

I have 27.5k HP, 26.5k MP, 13.5k Stamina with food. Around 1.9k+ spell powa with dege.

But yeah, play as u like, thats the beuty of this game :wink:

And your build is also interesting, maybe gonna try topling, but curently i am really enjoying dot like templar :smiley:

Also its just my feeling, but without whitestrake and with 20k HP as light armor user, i had a lot of problems vs 2 stamina users, now i can esy tank them, whitestraek proc is enough to refresh blazing + give u eough time to heal 100% hp, and 8k + blazing shield with 15k armor and 41k spell resist (cause channeled focus) protects u well.

Interesting. Whats ure regen like (if i can ask?). Myea toppling is highly unresponsive. It is why I missed with my dawnbreaker at the end of the video. Framerate dropped and was stuck in the GCD. I try to land with toppling on target 1 second before proxy det goes off. GCD finishes. Proxy goes off. I follow up with dawnbreaker (semi same time as detonation). If its multiple targets I do sweeping strikes. Vs one person --> jesus beam.

Problem is I run with my guild groups a lot (24 raids). In large scale battle there is sooo many purges flying around that dots are semi useless. Dots on shield stackers is also a problem. It's why I didnt like it much. Not to say your build is bad (its not) just not my style.

20K hp is low yes. But not with mitigation (passive + blocking). You increase your EHP a lot. Easier to have high mitigation on low HP and then heal it with burst heals. The sustain comes from focused rune. I really hope they don't touch that skill...

Im switching out BoL on DPS bar with mistform. Trying it today. Only thing I was missing is a get out of dodge card.

One last thing: If you combine this with a few friends (let's say 4 templar/DK magicka builds), dropping talons + 4 proxy dets + some standards and/or dawnbreakers on a train. It is beautiful. Just beautiful. xD

EDIT: I can highly recommend dawnbreaker. Its cheap and effective. Especially on large groups. Every group has a vampire in it. Usually the light armor magicka builds (duh...) i.e.: healers/ranged dps. Proxy det + dawnbreaker ALLWAYS gets a few kills on a train. Example of a time where I jumped in on a train, I know kind of out of context but wasn't recording it :(. Still funny

lol.jpg
    Edited by iseko on May 25, 2015 2:34PM
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will i ever find another non-vampire Templar :'(
  • Ryuho
    Ryuho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haha yeah i know that feeling, I am using proximty on my NB, he has 3k spell dmg, 30k magicka, it hurts really badly :wink:

I have 1.2k mp regen on my temp, casue vamp + atronach, and some CP invested, i think ~ 40 CPs, also dege + meteor sloted provides me with additional regen on my dps bar, but i am always trying to stay inside channeled focus, so +240 mp evry 1s its a lot, it gives me ~ 840 mp evry 1s in total, its not bad deal, considering that my reflective light cost only 1.1k, reach 1.9k jesus 2.4k. I have also former empress passive. To be honest i dont have magicka problems, also i heavy att a lot with flame staff - deals nice dmg + provides magicka back.

Yeah, thats true, big grp vs big grp, with so many purges, u cant rely on dots. But i mostly 1 vs x, or 2 - 3 vs x, so in such situation (small scale) that build is really nice.

To be honest i havent enjoyed my templar, i just died to esy as LA user, but when i increased my HP and started to use whitestrake it changed, definitly i will play as vamp queen even more now :smile:
    DK - Ryu Farron AR17

RETIRED

CU - next mmo
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha yeah i know that feeling, I am using proximty on my NB, he has 3k spell dmg, 30k magicka, it hurts really badly :wink:

I have 1.2k mp regen on my temp, casue vamp + atronach, and some CP invested, i think ~ 40 CPs, also dege + meteor sloted provides me with additional regen on my dps bar, but i am always trying to stay inside channeled focus, so +240 mp evry 1s its a lot, it gives me ~ 840 mp evry 1s in total, its not bad deal, considering that my reflective light cost only 1.1k, reach 1.9k jesus 2.4k. I have also former empress passive. To be honest i dont have magicka problems, also i heavy att a lot with flame staff - deals nice dmg + provides magicka back.

Yeah, thats true, big grp vs big grp, with so many purges, u cant rely on dots. But i mostly 1 vs x, or 2 - 3 vs x, so in such situation (small scale) that build is really nice.

To be honest i havent enjoyed my templar, i just died to esy as LA user, but when i increased my HP and started to use whitestrake it changed, definitly i will play as vamp queen even more now :smile:

FYI you don't have to stay in the circle to get the full duration of magika regen from Channeled Focus. That buff seems to be completely independent of the circle.
  • iseko
    iseko
    ✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

FYI you don't have to stay in the circle to get the full duration of magika regen from Channeled Focus. That buff seems to be completely independent of the circle.

Myea I explain that in the video. You can keep all benefits from one rune up for 30 seconds if done correctly. Averagely I can keep one up for 20-25 seconds. Not that it matters since it's dirt cheap but yea: you do not have to stay in the rune. And if zos changes this Im ragequitting :)
  • Ryuho
    Ryuho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    Will i ever find another non-vampire Templar :'(

@Cinbri probably when they add some sort of escape skill for our templars :wink:

DK - Ryu Farron AR17

RETIRED

CU - next mmo