The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

5L/2H or 7L for magicka nightblade (and other questions)

tinythinker
tinythinker
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I've seen many interesting post-1.6 builds for magicka nightblades, but I am new to the class as a whole and suggestions are very welcome. At the moment I am wondering whether the extra spell pen for 7L is worth more than the increased protection of 2H? Is it about even in trade-off? I can solo public dungeons and dolmens at my VR with my PvE bars, but so far I don't seem to do much damage in PvP at VR7. I have 5L Seducer for regen and Torug's Pact for a bit more spell damage. Will try to add two rings of Cyrodiil's Light for a bit more damage.

With blue food I am at 22,372 magicka (using all points in magicka and infused on armor), spell damage 1136, spell crit 38%, 30 points in Spell Erosion (ignore 10.8% of spell resistance) and 20 in Thaumaturge (increase magic damage by 8.4%).

With same food, here are examples of tool-tip damage (not all are currently slotted for PvP bars):

Crushing Shock: 978 cold, fire, and shock damage
Concealed Weapon: 3513
Impale: 1757 (base/non-scaled)
Swallow Soul: 3257
Crippling Grasp: 1056 initial/5980 over 8 seconds*

Is this good enough to be competitive? I am sure I need to "L2P" as I have already said I am just now learning this class in PvP, I just want to make sure I am not handicapping myself with insufficiently strong attacks. I mean, not everyone has nirnhoned armor, right?

(*No visible buffs, but my values keep shifting. Grasp has shown both 6200 and 6300 over the last 30 minutes or so.)

Edited by tinythinker on May 10, 2015 1:39PM
Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
(And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • LameoveR
    LameoveR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Infused - Chests and legs with health enchantment.
    All other - Divines with magicka enchantment.
    What's the boon?
    And yes, vr7 newcomer can't compete vr14, if only vr14 not AFK.

• TheFamousMockingbird
    I added 2 heavy to my magicka NB and honestly it really doesn't add much more durability. Light armor is so flimsy now that any little bit or armor penetration goes through it like tissue. The only benefit I should see is the 50% duration increase from the Shadow Barrier passive that you get for 2 pieces of heavy. Sadly the duration buff does not appear to be working ATM.
  • Draehl
    Draehl
    ✭✭✭
    full light for pvp, 5l/2h for pve IMO.
    Main: Breton Nightblade "Shadow Cleric" (Sustained Damage/offhealer) 5L/2H - Resto + S&B
    Alt: Argonian Dragonknight (Stam DoTs/Tank) 5H/2M - S&B + Bow
    Alt: Nord Templar Berserker (Rawr) 5M/2H - Dual Wield + Two Hander
    Alt: Altmer Sorceror (Pewpew) 7L - Destro + Resto
  • Erondil
    Erondil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Draehl wrote: »

Lol I would go for the contrary tbh. Damages are much higher in pvp than in pve and you need much more self-survivability.
    ~retired~
    EU server, former Zerg Squad and Banana Squad officer
    Dennegor NB AD, AvA 50 Grand Overlord 24/05/2016
    rekt you NB AD, AvA 32
    Erondil Sorc AD, AvA 23
    Denne the Banana Slayer NB EP, AvA 14
    Darth Dennegor lv50 Stamina NB DC, AvA 19
    Youtube Channel
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    My brother uses heavy chest and shoulders (imperial), daedric light pants for the robe look, everything else light as well. Looks very cool, especially with the Dwemer light head.
    Edited by Zsymon on May 10, 2015 10:33PM
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heavy chest for sure. Argonian heavy helmet for increased style points.
  • Bodycounter
    Bodycounter
    ✭✭✭✭
    LameoveR wrote: »
    What's the boon?

Pretty much this.

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »
    Heavy chest for sure. Argonian heavy helmet for increased style points.
    I have the Argonian light helm. It has a feather right over the forehead.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Chikenuget
    I use 5L/ 2H. The heavy pieces are chest and pants with infused trait.

I would say maybe around V12 as a magicka NB you can be competitive.
    If you still want to PvP you will have to play a bit smarter and choose targets wisely. Generally you will not be allow to make many mistakes.
    V14 Stam NB AD / V14 Mag NB DC
    V7 Stam DK DC
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LameoveR wrote: »
    What's the boon?
    I added 2 heavy to my magicka NB and honestly it really doesn't add much more durability. Light armor is so flimsy now that any little bit or armor penetration goes through it like tissue. The only benefit I should see is the 50% duration increase from the Shadow Barrier passive that you get for 2 pieces of heavy. Sadly the duration buff does not appear to be working ATM.
    Erondil wrote: »

Lol I would go for the contrary tbh. Damages are much higher in pvp than in pve and you need much more self-survivability.
    Chikenuget wrote: »
    I use 5L/ 2H. The heavy pieces are chest and pants with infused trait.

I would say maybe around V12 as a magicka NB you can be competitive.
    If you still want to PvP you will have to play a bit smarter and choose targets wisely. Generally you will not be allow to make many mistakes.
    Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I managed to get 32 killing blows yesterday in open field skirmish situations (groups between 5v5 to 35v35 that weren't tightly clustered in "swarming formation") and at least two of them were my own effort start to finish. I even had a VR14 tea-bag me for 10 seconds when I did meaningful damage to him (how dare I? ;) ) before dying from NPC aggro.

Not saying that any of that is in any way impressive, but the combat situations I was able to put myself in offered a really great environment in which to practice a new class for PvP. Managed to keep the K:D ratio just under 3.0 by effective use of Dark Cloak. Hopefully I can get better with more practice/at higher vet ranks.