The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So... no difference between a crafting level 7 and level 8 glyphs?

Runefell
Runefell
✭✭✭✭
So, since I just turned V7, I thought I'd make myself some new armor and enchant it. But, for some reason, there's no difference between lower level and higher level glyphs...

dz702d.png
2lwp4l4.png

Both the Grand and the Spendid versions give me 480 magicka, or 528 health. I checked, and the negative glyphs do have a slight difference on some things, like Absorb Health or Magicka or dealing unresistable damage, but not on others, like elemental resistances or crushing.
Edited by Runefell on April 23, 2015 1:22AM
Rune Fell- Dunmer Mag Sorcerer (DC)~The Adventurer
Runed Claws- Khajiit Stam Dragonknight (DC) ~The Tank
Rain Fell- Argonian Mag Templar (EP)~ The Healer
Dragon Talon- Bosmer Stam Nightblade (AD) ~ The DPS

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is something that appeared with one of the 2.0 patches, or it may have been with 1.6.

I am surprised they have not fixed this yet. It did not used to be this way.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Daenerys
    Daenerys
    ✭✭✭✭
    As if enchanting wasn't demoralizing enough already...
  • Natjur
    Natjur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was just a display issue, try making a 'white' version of each and see.
  • Runefell
    Runefell
    ✭✭✭✭
    Natjur wrote: »
    I thought it was just a display issue, try making a 'white' version of each and see.

I did. There wasn't any difference then either. I also tried health, stamina and a few other types. I haven't actually tried making two and putting them on my armor. When I get home this afternoon from work, I'll try that.

EDIT: Now that I think on it, from my quick experimentation, it looks like the weapon enchants for the negative glyph were different, but the armor/jewelry enchants were the same. I only tried armor enchants for the positive glyph. I'll experiment with that as well.

EDIT:

So I did a quick test now that I'm home. I first enchanted my heavy armor cuirass (which has exploration trait) with the Grand Glyph of Magicka (blue). Before the enchant, I had 16353 magicka. Afterwards, I had 16861. Which leaves me a total of 508 added. Which is different from what the UI says, 480. I then replaced/overwrote the enchant with the Superior Glyph of Magicka (blue). The stats didn't change at all. It too just gave 508 magicka. Out of curiosity, I also enchanted my greaves (with training trait) with the remaining Superior Glyph, which the UI said were supposed to give 480 as well. They gave 507.

Also, the weapon versions of the positive glyphs increased in stats. It's just the armor/jewelry that are staying the same.
    Edited by Runefell on April 23, 2015 9:09PM
    Rune Fell- Dunmer Mag Sorcerer (DC)~The Adventurer
    Runed Claws- Khajiit Stam Dragonknight (DC) ~The Tank
    Rain Fell- Argonian Mag Templar (EP)~ The Healer
    Dragon Talon- Bosmer Stam Nightblade (AD) ~ The DPS

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah - unfortunately this is a bug that many have noticed and been frustrated by. It appears to only affect armor and jewelry glyphs, although I think a noticed a few weapon ones that were like this. Like you, I was excited to get to the next enchanting level and craft new gear, and like you, extremely disappointed when there was no difference.

I read a few threads that said this has been an issue since launch, but I don't know if that's true, since I've only recently been playing at vet levels. Others said that it only affected veteran ranks 1-9 and 10-14 does show an increase (which I believe is the case).

However, my husband noticed a couple days ago that this is now also affecting the lower tier enchants, in that there is now no difference in potency between a lvl 1-10 glyph and a lvl 5-15 glyph. It looks like it does increase once you get to the next tier, so that a lvl 10-20 glyph is better, but a lvl 15-25 is the same as the 10-20.

I don't recall that being the case before, so perhaps something has happened with 1.6 or one of the 2.0 updates that has affected multiple levels of enchanting.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Runefell wrote: »
    So I did a quick test now that I'm home. I first enchanted my heavy armor cuirass (which has exploration trait) with the Grand Glyph of Magicka (blue). Before the enchant, I had 16353 magicka. Afterwards, I had 16861. Which leaves me a total of 508 added. Which is different from what the UI says, 480.

The tooltips do not take into account racial passives, skill line passives, slotted passives, Champion Points, etc. That is why you are getting 508 instead of 480. Lots of things can increase your magicka that are not tied to the enchantment itself. For example, Bretons and Altmer get 10% bonus magicka, Dunmer get 9% bonus magicka, wearing 5/1/1 armor weight distribution gives 6% bonus magicka, Inner Light skill gives 5% bonus magicka, each Mages Guild ability slotted gives 2% bonus magicka, each Champion Point spent in the Mage gives bonus magicka (1st point in Mage gives 1% bonus magicka but subsequent points start giving less and less). And so on. Through a combination of those you have gotten yourself about 5.833% bonus magicka so your 480 gets boosted to 508.

That does not explain why a Grand glyph would be giving the same amount as a Splendid glyph! But just pointing out why the tooltips differ from the values you get once applied.
  • Chuggernaut
    Chuggernaut
    ✭✭✭
    Runefell wrote: »
    Natjur wrote: »
    So I did a quick test now that I'm home. I first enchanted my heavy armor cuirass (which has exploration trait) with the Grand Glyph of Magicka (blue). Before the enchant, I had 16353 magicka. Afterwards, I had 16861. Which leaves me a total of 508 added. Which is different from what the UI says, 480. I then replaced/overwrote the enchant with the Superior Glyph of Magicka (blue). The stats didn't change at all. It too just gave 508 magicka. Out of curiosity, I also enchanted my greaves (with training trait) with the remaining Superior Glyph, which the UI said were supposed to give 480 as well. They gave 507.

Also, the weapon versions of the positive glyphs increased in stats. It's just the armor/jewelry that are staying the same.

↑ This is the problem with the minimal UI choices! PLEASE give us tooltips for everything and PLEASE update them each patch.
    My comrades have returned. I erect the spine of gratitude. You are a hero today. - Bura-Natoo
  • Arcanasx
    Arcanasx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enchanting needs more love. Its the most expensive and hardest crafting skill to level and you get little benefit from it. Not surprised enchanting has these types of bugs; its a low priority for them.
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yeah its bugged
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to wonder if it is working as intended, for Pvp sorts to keep on even setting. Which is ridiculous and disappointing.

It is true the Monumental Glyphs (10-14) offer a slight increase to armor and jewelry glyphs. Don't get too excited though.

Don't get me started on how the Enchantment Writ rewards were on par with the level completed UNTIL rank 9 potency. Now the reward is level 5glyphs, and NO runes. EVER.

Is anyone even paying attention to Enchanting??
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morimizo wrote: »
    Don't get me started on how the Enchantment Writ rewards were on par with the level completed UNTIL rank 9 potency. Now the reward is level 5glyphs, and NO runes. EVER.

I have been getting a Kuta about every 3rd writ on my master Enchanter. Then again, my L1 and L3 Potency Enchanters are seeing Kutas about the same rate (maybe 1 in 4 from writ containers), about 1 in 6 from the surveys they get. Note, days will go by with no Kuta's to speak of, so not saying this is a reliable source for them, just one that has a decent chance of paying out.

But I have not noticed much in the way of Runes from Enchanting Writs, other than Aspects. Usually it's a Green Glyph, a Leveled Soul Gem and sometimes a Kuta or a Survey.

Edited by Nestor on April 29, 2015 4:35PM

• Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

I have been getting a Kuta about every 3rd writ on my master Enchanter. Then again, my L1 and L3 Potency Enchanters are seeing Kutas about the same rate (maybe 1 in 4 from writ containers), about 1 in 6 from the surveys they get. Note, days will go by with no Kuta's to speak of, so not saying this is a reliable source for them, just one that has a decent chance of paying out.

But I have not noticed much in the way of Runes from Enchanting Writs, other than Aspects. Usually it's a Green Glyph, a Leveled Soul Gem and sometimes a Kuta or a Survey.

The experience you share is what I also had before hitting Potency 9 for Enchanting, which is why I think it is weird. Why would a Major Glyph (level 5) be of much interest to a Master Enchanter? Sure, you can get a minimal amount of inspiration through extraction (assuming you're not 50), but the likelihood of USING it is quite low. And when, at Level 8 Potency, I received Splendid Glyphs (which is appropriate), This is why I suppose that someone is asleep at the switch.

And I was getting a Kuta every 3 days or so (which is great luck of course), but since 2.0.6 patch (and reaching lvl 9), nothing. Not any aspect stone at all. I couldn't help but ask, "Why did I bother to level the potency?" At least in terms of the Writ reward.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would a Major Glyph (level 5) be of much interest to a Master Enchanter?

Come to think of it, I have not received a Monumental Glyph on my Master Enchanter. But, he is only VR6, so I am getting the level of Glyph of my character.

I do agree that the Glyph we get should be tied to the Potency level, not the character level. We have to make the Monumental for the Writ.

I just decon them for the Jejota's anyway.

Speaking of which, why are Greens the best Glyph we can get from a writ? We should have a chance to get Blue or Purple or even Gold at higher levels of writs.

• Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Why would a Major Glyph (level 5) be of much interest to a Master Enchanter?

Come to think of it, I have not received a Monumental Glyph on my Master Enchanter. But, he is only VR6, so I am getting the level of Glyph of my character.

I do agree that the Glyph we get should be tied to the Potency level, not the character level. We have to make the Monumental for the Writ.

I just decon them for the Jejota's anyway.

Speaking of which, why are Greens the best Glyph we can get from a writ? We should have a chance to get Blue or Purple or even Gold at higher levels of writs.

I currently am VR8, and getting Major Glyphs in the reward, so at least for me, not tied to character level.

And the occasional higher-rarity glyph would be nice, but agree it's not setup that way apparently.

Tbh, I stay away from Blacksmithing, Clothing, and Woodworking writs because the cost never balances out the reward; Provisioning MIGHT give a good recipe or set of purple ingredients; Alchemy is just for the tiny gold amount; and Enchanting has now became the same--a small gold payout.

This sounds jaded, but I expect a full nerf to Provisioning Writ rewards to compensate for the lackluster rewards of the others. Instead of the reasonable, common sense solution of actually improving the others.

• Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭
    Note: This only applies to Armor glyphs only. Weapon glyphs have different values...
    Edited by Tallowby on April 29, 2015 8:15PM
    NEED THE HELP OF A 9 TRAIT MASTER CRAFTER ON XBOX ONE NA - ALL STYLES LIST ---> My known Styles
    Tallowby's Crafter Aid ...... CONSOLE - How to run a DPS Test

XBOX ONE NA - Guild The OTG (accepting applications)
    Arden Sul | Bosmer | Nightblade | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter |
    Tallowby | Imperial | Templar | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter | EVERY STYLE KNOWN!
    Freya Bolt | Altmer | Sorcerer | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
    Wacko Smacko | Imperial | Dragon Knight | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tallowby wrote: »
    Note: This only applies to Armor glyphs only. Weapon glyphs have different values...

It also applies to jewelry glyphs, unfortunately.

As for the glyph rewards from enchanting writs, my master enchanter, who just hit v7, gets a random level glyph, i.e. anything from v1-3 (is that Major?) to Splendid (v7-9). Have not seen a monumental glyph, though.