Maintenance for the week of May 27:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 27

Can't Escape Guards Indoors? (Justice System suggestions)

ZeroNeonix
ZeroNeonix
✭✭
One of the problems with the Justice System seems to be that it is impossible to escape the guards if you are caught indoors. When evading the guards, the only doors that can be used are for the criminal hideouts. There needs to be some method for players to get away when they happen to be indoors.

If running out the front door isn't an option, how about windows? Windows could be made targetable, and have a health bar. When enough damage is done to the window, the player may jump out of it, appearing outside of the building, possibly taking fall damage if done from a second story window.

I also think that the witnesses system could be improved by modeling more after Skyrim. The way it is now, if I kill a lone NPC where no one else is around, and it takes more than one hit, the crime is witnessed and cannot be removed. With a more Skyrim-type system, if a crime is witnessed by an NPC (or later, a player guard), those NPCs become witnesses, and killing them off removes your bounty because no one is left knowing of your crime. I would appreciate this change in a later update.

Lastly, while I am okay with NPC guards being invincible now, I do hope that this will only last until player guards are eventually implemented. Once player guards are in, that'll add enough of a challenge. Invincible guards would just be overkill at that point.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell, I knew that will happen. Clone topic. Use search please.
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
    Options
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This does seem a rather strange thing. A buddy of mine got in a fight with a guard in the bank after being caught stealing. Big mess that was as he couldn't escape and is a tanky templar so can pretty much live forever.

...He also got reported for grieving by another player for casting spells in that bank. ZOS gave him a warning on his account and refuses to remove it. How many things are messed up in this story?
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
    Options
  • Nyghthowler
    Nyghthowler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happened to me last night. Found a recipe in the fighters guild hall and stole it. Immediately assaulted by a guard and since I didn't know you can't exit the building, was killed.

Are these items placed just to taunt us with 'you can steal it, but have no hope of keeping it' ....
    I'm not prejudiced; I hate everyone equally !
    Options
  • ZeroNeonix
    ZeroNeonix
    ✭✭
    Hell, I knew that will happen. Clone topic. Use search please.

After seeing entire pages of "OMG, ESO is going free-to-play!?" I don't care if my topic was covered in some buried thread on another page. And I doubt their suggestions were exactly the same as mine, anyway.
    Options
  • WhitePawPrints
    WhitePawPrints
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Immortal guards, I can deal with. Fine. I don't like it because you can get cornered and I'd rather leave a few bodies with my own than simply give up and wait to die.

No possibility of escape when faced with immortal hostiles, I cannot agree with. Breakable windows, scaling walls, anything would be better than being forced to give up and wait to die.

Witness detection could be improved. It'd be great if witnesses ran away rather than trying to fight with fist, so that the crime can be reported, but I'll settle with a system similar to Skyrim's.
    Options
  • avanwhy
    avanwhy
    ✭✭
    I escaped a guard while he was beating on me in a bank. After I blocked a heavy attack of his I knocked him down with my own heavy attack, which gave me time to open the front door.
    Options
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, you can just use invis pot and easily escape. Solved.
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
    Options
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was pickpeceting people in church once and one of the people there saw it and attacked. I had to kill her in order to leave the church and my bounty skyrocketed.

Today I got killed by a guard becouse I stole a radish.
    I agree that we need either a way to escape the guards when indoors, or be able to kill them (or delay them some other way to give us enough time to escape)
    Options
  • Asherons_Call
    Asherons_Call
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM
    Options
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crime doesn't pay.
    Options
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nice necro bro...at least you used the search :P
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
    Options
  • whiteshadow711jppreub18_ESO
    whiteshadow711jppreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My advice from being a Master Thief, yeah I got the title too in the Thieves Guild DLC, :wink:

Make some combo Vanish potions,
    Increase Movement Speed, Vanish= Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, Namira’s Rot.

and make sure they are slotted when stealing, when you get spotted, use the potion, then move as far away from the NPC as possible, if the potion is long enough the NPC will eventually reset and you cant get into sneak and maybe get away.

Good luck.

PS- once you go into combat the doors on the interior lock, once the NPC resets, the Door's unlock.
    Edited by whiteshadow711jppreub18_ESO on March 25, 2016 10:42PM
    Signed, Kotaro Atani.PS5 NA
    VR16/ CP 160 Khajiit Nightblade of the Aldmeri Dominion, Guildmaster and Assassin of the Queen's Hand guild on NA PC. PvP Officer in the WOLF guild on NA PS5, and of course Master Thief. Currently 3120 CP out of 3600 CP on NA PS5. Currently 810 CP on NA PC (used for PTS testing purposes only). On PS5 I am also a Master Crafter, all traits done and learned, Jewelry crafting done. all Motifs learned on PS5 except for maybe two-three Motifs. Both Companions are Max level as are their Skills.Warrior, Lover, Thief.... Nightblade. Aldmeri Dominion For Life! For the Queen!! Go Dominion or go home ! "I have no hatred for the races of Man, but they are young. Like all children, they are driven by emotion. They lack the wisdom that comes with age. I would sooner place an Altmer infant on the Ruby Throne than surrender Tamriel to their capricious whims. The Altmer, the Bosmer and the Khajiit share the common traits of intelligence, patience and reason. We do not seek riches or plunder. Domination is not our goal, nor is the acclamation of power for its own sake. Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines. Stand with us." ―Your Queen Commands, Ayrenn Arana Aldmeri.(All 18 characters are AD only! This one is a AD Loyalist)Member of ESO Since January 29, 2014, started early Access 3/30/14 on PC, currently subbed on NA PS5 and on NA PC. Note- I only use PC for PTS testing purposes, the PS5 is my dedicated Game Platform.Note- for those that don't know how to say Kotaro Atani it's "Ko tar row Ah ta ni" (Ko with a Oh sound, tar which sounds like the sticky black tar stuff, row like rowing a boat, Ah with a AHHHH sound, Ta with a Tahhh sound, Neeee which sounds like knee)"The blowing sands of time wipe clean the footprints of the past...""Moonsugar may be the key to paradise, but it is through a false door...""A perfect society is always elsewhere..."- Unknown book of Khajiiti proverbs.
    Options
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a loading screen tip that says if you avoid getting hit by the guard for a while you will be able to use the door.
    Options
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valrien wrote: »
    Nice necro bro...at least you used the search :P
    Thanks. Isn't that why the search option is there? :smiley:
    Sharee wrote: »
    There's a loading screen tip that says if you avoid getting hit by the guard for a while you will be able to use the door.
    Yes. The question is: "How do you stop the guard?". They can break free from slows & stuns and they are immortal. I also tried to drop a storm atronach on his head but he didn't give it any attention.
    My advice from being a Master Thief, yeah I got the title too in the Thieves Guild DLC, :wink:

Make some combo Vanish potions,
    Increase Movement Speed, Vanish= Blessed Thistle, Blue Entoloma, Namira’s Rot.

and make sure they are slotted when stealing, when you get spotted, use the potion, then move as far away from the NPC as possible, if the potion is long enough the NPC will eventually reset and you cant get into sneak and maybe get away.

Good luck.

THIS is actually a good tip :smiley: Thanks!
    Edited by Sinolai on March 25, 2016 11:05PM
    Options
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    *nvm didn't notice this thread is from last year
    Edited by IcyDeadPeople on March 26, 2016 12:54AM
    Options
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Also, you can just use invis pot and easily escape. Solved.

That depends upon how small or large the interior is.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
    Options
  • goatlyonesub17_ESO
    goatlyonesub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I steal when indoors, but I don't expect to get away if caught stealing indoors. My khajiit character is very stealthy and has never been caught stealing indoors. While she was doing the "get away from guards 100 times" Justice quest achievement, she intentionally got herself caught (outdoors) by an NPC shopkeeper, but not while a guard was around. Then, with a small bounty on her, she ran up to the guard by the bank in Belkarth, in Craglorn, and waved hi. He recognized her and started chasing. She ran the other way, down the road and off to the left, jumping off the rock into the river, and then out to where the Outlaw Hideout exit door was. She did this over and over, and got killed only once while finishing the achievement.
    Edited by goatlyonesub17_ESO on March 26, 2016 1:02AM
    "Argonians have fat, scaly tails." —Rissa Manyclaws.
    "Once upon a time there were three sisters: Delicious, Delightful, and Disgusting. Now, Delicious and Delightful were both very pretty girls..." —Brendalyn Jurarde.
    "I smell to the nobility." —Indrasa Avani.
    "A bargain with an animal is not a contract made." —Haderus Atrimus.
    "Redguard makeup for sale. Free samples. Secret ingredients. Unique application method. Lots of satisfied customers." —The Mudball Goblin (aka, Cognac Vinecroft)
    "Your armor looks like underwear." —Shuns-the-Knife.
    Options
  • Usara
    Usara
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I use a medium set with stam on it when I'm thieving (I'm a templar healer).

Rapid Maneuver for speed, Shuffle for dodge and immunity to snares and Immovable Brute for less cost on break free. Easy to outrun/avoid being hit by Guards for 5 sec with this set up, allowing me reach the exit when caught indoors.
    What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I’m stranded somewhere without any pants.

Usara v531 - Usara2 v322 - Escouade Sauvage - PC - EU - EP

Usara Den Thasnet - Retainer of House Hlaalu (Dunmer Templar, heal)
    Livia Augustus - Deserter of the Imperial 7th Legion (Imperial DK, tank)
    Aspen Vael - Battlemage of King Casimir III (Breton Sorcerer, tank/dd magicka)
    Caris Vael - Missing Student of the Mage Guild of Shornhelm (Breton NB, dd magicka, vampire)
    Eugene Fitzherbert - Wanted con artist hiding in Wayrest (Imperial Templar, tank/dd magicka)

Chante-avec-les-escargots - House Hlaalu snail breeder (Argonian NB, tank)
    Ryl Serandas - Mournhold Ordinator (Dunmer DK, dd magicka)
    Dar'Aiean - House Hlaalu Smuggler (Khajiit NB, dd stamina)
    Ferinwe - Alteration Instructor of the Mage Guild of Ebonheart (Altmer Sorcerer, dd magicka, retired)
    Torafhilde Frostdottir - Winterhold Cryomancer (Nord Sorcerer, dd magicka)
    Senecar - Daedra hunter, former Thalmor corps (Altmer Templar, dd magicka)
    Ondres Hlaalu - House Hlaalu Skooma Trader (Dunmer NB, dd magicka)
    Options
  • Xaxxus
    Xaxxus
    This is still a problem in 2020.

Why the hell can we not open doors when getting chased?

Buff the guards more. Make them stun the crap out of us. Do whatever to make it balanced.

But the fact that you absolutely cannot escape if you are caught indoors is game breaking.
    Options
  • Rave the Histborn
    Rave the Histborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZeroNeonix wrote: »
    One of the problems with the Justice System seems to be that it is impossible to escape the guards if you are caught indoors. When evading the guards, the only doors that can be used are for the criminal hideouts. There needs to be some method for players to get away when they happen to be indoors.

If running out the front door isn't an option, how about windows? Windows could be made targetable, and have a health bar. When enough damage is done to the window, the player may jump out of it, appearing outside of the building, possibly taking fall damage if done from a second story window.

I also think that the witnesses system could be improved by modeling more after Skyrim. The way it is now, if I kill a lone NPC where no one else is around, and it takes more than one hit, the crime is witnessed and cannot be removed. With a more Skyrim-type system, if a crime is witnessed by an NPC (or later, a player guard), those NPCs become witnesses, and killing them off removes your bounty because no one is left knowing of your crime. I would appreciate this change in a later update.

Lastly, while I am okay with NPC guards being invincible now, I do hope that this will only last until player guards are eventually implemented. Once player guards are in, that'll add enough of a challenge. Invincible guards would just be overkill at that point.

Pop

an

invis

pot.

Done.

No rework, no silliness. Just use invis pots.

There won't ever be player guards, it would be a horrid system.
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xaxxus wrote: »
    This is still a problem in 2020.

Why the hell can we not open doors when getting chased?

Buff the guards more. Make them stun the crap out of us. Do whatever to make it balanced.

But the fact that you absolutely cannot escape if you are caught indoors is game breaking.

Just give master thieves a summonable hiding basket. Make it a once a day perk, if necessary. Guard aggros you indoors, hit your basket hot key, summon it, and jump inside.

RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This topic died in 2016 guys....
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
    Options
  • Surak73
    Surak73
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is some serious necromancy at work here...
    Options
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^ Clever bumps!
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello everyone,

This post is to let you know that we've felt it necessary to put this thread down, as it seemed to have died some time ago. At this time we'd like to try and keep Draugr threads from roaming around the front page, pushing down newer and more lively threads.

Thank you for understanding!
    Options
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.