The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

radiant destruction range needs to be within that of gap closers

xylena
xylena
✭✭✭✭✭
we at least deserve a chance to get in close and bash it
Retired until we break the Tank Meta
  • Sypher
    Sypher
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    We also deserve to cleanse it (cleanse, purge, cloak) .. Just like we can cleanse soul strike.
    DC Dragonknight 'Sypher - AD Nightblade Sypher Ali - AD Sorcerer Sypher Sensei - EP Sorcerer Sypharian - DC Templar Ali Sypher

Youtube: www.youtube.com/SypherPK
    Twitch: www.twitch.tv/SypherPK
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soul strike is purgable because of the snare component. How do you purge a direct damage ability?

As of right now with its range, radiant is less dps than lethal arrow unless in execute range (<30%).

Lets be very clear because these posts are everywhere. If I have to make a video to explain to people and show the numbers I will (seems necessary). Lethal arrow is more dps than this ability except in execute range. The other executes in the game are higher dps with weaving, but also far safer to use as well.... its not some godlike ability. It has its niche. The reason it seems imba right now is its new, everyone is using it, the damage stacks on your death recap, completely new game stats where most people are not stacking defenses at all, everyone is blowing up. And at the same time, wrecking blow is higher dps than all of the above so... yeah.

I am up in the air about making it purgable, but if we do see that this ability is a little too strong I think making it purgable would be the fix to bring it in line. I see people thinking you should be able to dodge it which seems ridiculous since its not a projectile so thats not on the table. I am also scared people are thinking this ability is huge dps and ZOS will nerf it, so far they seem to understand its not, but when the masses complain.... Its less dps than other executes.... the benefit it has is the execute range is a little higher (30%) but also puts you at much higher risk. There are pros/cons to it.
    Edited by Huntler on March 4, 2015 4:05PM
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sypher wrote: »
    We also deserve to cleanse it (cleanse, purge, cloak) .. Just like we can cleanse soul strike.

As soon as we can CC break Talons, I'll be right behind you.
    Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Velcon
    Velcon
    Dark cloak needs to work on it or all cloaks. You can cloak lightning and resto staff channel but not this skill. 36m range with that much damage that breaks cloak is too high.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huntler wrote: »

As of right now with its range, radiant is less dps than lethal arrow unless in execute range (<30%).

As of right now it certainly isn't. Maybe in its intended form it is, but that sucker is executing at 50% health all day long. Is it a bug? Yeah, but knowing how fast they can fix it, this will become working as intended soon enough.

Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sypher wrote: »

As soon as we can CC break Talons, I'll be right behind you.

You can dodge roll out of talons. Problem solved for you.
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lethal arrow spam is more dps but it also requires casting multiple times, Jesus beam is one press.

You can dodge arrows and hear them firing, you can't dodge Jesus beam.
    POST EQVITEM SEDET ATRA CVRA
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • xylena
    xylena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dps is a poor metric for judging the effectiveness of an attack in pvp

stamina templars with 9k max magicka are finding radiant destruction more effective than 2h executioner on their builds

that said, i don't have a problem with the damage and am glad templars are killing stuff more

just don't want something this powerful screwing the range/melee balance, which is much improved in 1.6
    Retired until we break the Tank Meta
  • Lertil
    Lertil
    ✭✭
    Proposed changes to the spell from me;

1) Cleanse and Cloak remove it as they remove soul assault

2) The execute damage proc should work like Impale, in that the damage is constant until the target is below 25% at which point it is increased 400%.

3) Lower the range to that of maximum charge range as Xylena posted.

OR.. if you wanna keep all that i think lowering the range to something really small like 10-15m and have the spell completely cancel outside of that range would provide decent counterplay as well.

Currently there is hardly anything you can do outside of spamming shields/heals on yourself which is really lame and not fun. :neutral:

P.S. nerf sorcs
    Octo Sarabian - NA - Haderus
  • Quantine
    Quantine
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. The problem with the skill atm is NOT ITS DAMAGE. It simply doesn't have a REAL counter. Even if it were purgable, ppl would recast it (unlike soul assault which is then wasted), charging into a horde of templars and others isn't always the best option either. But lowering the range/making it depending on line of sight and making it purgable would at least give you some reaction to it. Remember, there are good counters to all other high damage/execute abilities.
    EU | AD | Banana Squad Inc | Arena | The Pariah | Keepers of Cyrodiil

Arulash, DK, rank 33
    Eledwhen Elmwoods, NB, rank 30
    Lil Aru, OP Templar healer, rank 23
    Aru on Flames, DK, rank 17

NA | EP | Banana Squad Inc
    Aru's Sis, DK
  • daktary2001
    daktary2001
    ✭✭✭
    Pfffft at first I was like 'WTF!!' the first time I was killed by this skill.

Then I was pissed when I was killed a few times in succession by that same skill.

Then I stacked enough bow range bonuses and started using poison arrow which interrupt this spell.

Hop problem solved. Only died twice since to this spell due to poor situational awareness at the time.
    Edited by daktary2001 on March 5, 2015 1:09PM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a slow channeled assault. Just move up 5 meters cast a damage shield and charge the caster.

Alternatively, if there are out of your charge range, cast a damage shield and roll dodge away from them.

This skill isn't that hard to counter.
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last night I took the templar out for a spin.

All I can say is LOL at any one of you defending this skill. I was a god dude. Sometimes I had to cast it a second time, sure, but EVERYONE i tab targeted with this skill was dead within five-six seconds. They couldnt do a damn thing to stop me either. I had people try to crushing shock me. My blazing shield absorbed that, recast jesus beam again. I had people try to charge me, I backed up. I had people try to run from me, I chased them.

You all saying its "easy to counter" are just the laughingstock, seriously. Stop spreading around lies.

First time ive ever had 150 kills in a night on an otherwise dedicated healer.

PROTIP - it costs so little to cast, go ahead and interrupt it once or twice, I will beat you at that game, youll use a lot more interrupting me than I will casting it. And thats the sad part.

Edited by Rylana on March 6, 2015 11:11AM
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Teargrants wrote: »
    Lethal arrow spam is more dps but it also requires casting multiple times, Jesus beam is one press.

You can dodge arrows and hear them firing, you can't dodge Jesus beam.

You can also block arrows..you can't block Jesus Beam
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rylana wrote: »

All I can say is LOL at any one of you defending this skill. I was a god dude. Sometimes I had to cast it a second time, sure, but EVERYONE i tab targeted with this skill was dead within five-six seconds. They couldnt do a damn thing to stop me either. I had people try to crushing shock me. My blazing shield absorbed that, recast jesus beam again. I had people try to charge me, I backed up. I had people try to run from me, I chased them.

You all saying its "easy to counter" are just the laughingstock, seriously. Stop spreading around lies.

PROTIP - it costs so little to cast, go ahead and interrupt it once or twice, I will beat you at that game, youll use a lot more interrupting me than I will casting it. And thats the sad part.

This coming from the person with the most unbelievably warped/biased view of the game I have ever seen. Remember this? http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/148340/standard-of-might-nerfed#latest

I honestly don't believe a word you say, no one else should either. Let ZOS fix the bug, then we'll see. Hard to judge an ability that is bugged.
    Edited by Huntler on March 6, 2015 4:07PM
  • glak
    glak
    ✭✭✭

This coming from the person with the most unbelievably warped/biased view of the game I have ever seen. Remember this? http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/148340/standard-of-might-nerfed#latest

I honestly don't believe a word you say, no one else should either. Let ZOS fix the bug, then we'll see. Hard to judge an ability that is bugged.
    Crushing Shock spam and a DPS'ing team member on the side should take care of this once the fix is in.
  • Huntler
    Huntler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    glak wrote: »

Crushing Shock spam and a DPS'ing team member on the side should take care of this once the fix is in.

Hell just crushing shock spam will, its a pretty good dps ability... But yes :) just need the bug fix and this ability will be fine. Maybe make it purgable just so it is on equal footing with soul assault.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on targeting low health people who were either incapable or too inexperienced to prevent their inevitable death. You are definitely a god to be worshiped...
  • Lertil
    Lertil
    ✭✭

Congratulations on targeting low health people who were either incapable or too inexperienced to prevent their inevitable death. You are definitely a god to be worshiped...

I cant tell if you're being clever with the oxymoron "preventing the inevitable" or you actually believe this.
    Octo Sarabian - NA - Haderus
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I stand by what I said in that thread actually. I know the things I say arent popular amongst certain "elitist" folks, but that doesnt matter. For every snarky LOL or "insightful" ive gotten, I get twice as many agrees and awesomes. Just keep that in mind.

Bring up past stuff as a deflection even more though, Huntler, you know I am speaking the truth about radiant. You just dont want your easy mode taken away, right?

Of course not. Its your day in the spotlight, petty petty stick it to the old specs blah blah, yay templar, as everyone else on these forums is prancing around about. ITS BROKEN.
    Edited by Rylana on March 7, 2015 1:38PM
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was targeting people at full health and recasting as needed. No "sniping" here. Hell I went straight up in the face of Libellus on DC side (another templar) and we basically radiant each other to resourced out. I must have had a larger magicka pool.

Basically I dont need anything else on my bar to get kills. Repentance for stam, breath of life for heals, blazing shield to keep those pesky melee off of me (and for some shield defense), and then radiant to kill things. Magelight goes on the last slot.

Its this whole inevitability thing. The skill costs so little to cast and recast that I dont need to do anything else, even at a full health bar ticking for 2k a pulse, it still causes my opponent to do "something" to counter (heal, cast shields, use a interrupt skill if they can, all of which cost more than the ability itself). Then I just cast it again, and again, and again if need be. Sooner or later it reaches that magic moment where those pulses jump to 7300 and its over (averages 2-3 casts). War of attrition and this one skill by itself is so cheap, and so lethal, that in my 20 odd years of playing MMOs and other video games its actually made it to the top three most broken skills I have ever seen. (Number 1 is Surgical Stikes in STO, and number 2 was Force Maelstrom in SWG, both skills did/do insane armor bypass damage with no mitigating counter for them)

There is a reason everyone is using it. Its not because its new. Its not because its shiny. Well maybe it is a little shiny, but... The reason people use it is because its EASY KILLS. Push button, receive bacon. No muss no fuss, and the very definition of an I win button. Mine is the four key. Which one is yours on?
    Edited by Rylana on March 7, 2015 1:56PM
  • david.haypreub18_ESO
    david.haypreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its this whole inevitability thing. The skill costs so little to cast and recast that I dont need to do anything else, even at a full health bar ticking for 2k a pulse, it still causes my opponent to do "something" to counter (heal, cast shields, use a interrupt skill if they can, all of which cost more than the ability itself).

So basically, it is Talons?

Odd that I didn't hear you crying about it that much...

Templars are 'just slower... by design'
    Yes, Gina actually said that (at least regarding Rushed Ceremony) right here:
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/161959/templar-skills-bugged-made-useless-ignored/p24
    VR 16 Templar (retired until Templars get fixed)
    VR 16 Sorcerer
    38 Nightblade
    24 DK
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was targeting people at full health and recasting as needed. No "sniping" here. Hell I went straight up in the face of Libellus on DC side (another templar) and we basically radiant each other to resourced out. I must have had a larger magicka pool.

Basically I dont need anything else on my bar to get kills. Repentance for stam, breath of life for heals, blazing shield to keep those pesky melee off of me (and for some shield defense), and then radiant to kill things. Magelight goes on the last slot.

Its this whole inevitability thing. The skill costs so little to cast and recast that I dont need to do anything else, even at a full health bar ticking for 2k a pulse, it still causes my opponent to do "something" to counter (heal, cast shields, use a interrupt skill if they can, all of which cost more than the ability itself). Then I just cast it again, and again, and again if need be. Sooner or later it reaches that magic moment where those pulses jump to 7300 and its over (averages 2-3 casts). War of attrition and this one skill by itself is so cheap, and so lethal, that in my 20 odd years of playing MMOs and other video games its actually made it to the top three most broken skills I have ever seen. (Number 1 is Surgical Stikes in STO, and number 2 was Force Maelstrom in SWG, both skills did/do insane armor bypass damage with no mitigating counter for them)

There is a reason everyone is using it. Its not because its new. Its not because its shiny. Well maybe it is a little shiny, but... The reason people use it is because its EASY KILLS. Push button, receive bacon. No muss no fuss, and the very definition of an I win button. Mine is the four key. Which one is yours on?

Fact: all executes are good (except the DK one that is too cumbersome to use efficiently). You get hit with endless fury, impale, executioner, or, get this, radiant destruction, you are pretty much dead and there is little you can do about it. So, again, congratulations for executing low health targets. I do it every time I log onto my sorcerer, more effectively, quicker, and safer every time I go into Cyordiil.

Fact 2: This is a low DPS skill. Go ahead and join an AA group and pay attention to how the Templars DPS. If your logic is correct, they only need this one skill and spam it. They don;t. So either you are right and every other Templar is wrong or you are wrong and every other Templar recognizes this skill is only worth casting against low health targets...like all executes.

As far as you just pressing that button, the only reason you were racking up kills is because other players were actually DPSing effectively and burned down the enemies shields and defenses until that "magic moment" appeared and you actually meaningfully contributed DPS. Go ahead and duel and try your spam theory and see how far it will get you. You can only spam this skill because other players are taking enemy fire and contributing the necessary DPS for it to be effective.

In the span of just a few days I have already seen the better players adapt at defending against this skill. You are just wasting your mana and leaving yourself open to the enemy is you hit this button as you claim against any competent opponent.

Yes, this skill has killed many people - as all ranged executes do - and a lot of them are light armor DKs who are so used to to just wading into 20 people flapping their wings expecting to survive. I've used this skill and have had it used against me. It really is not that hard to defend against.
    Edited by Joy_Division on March 8, 2015 1:42AM
  • Dredlord
    Dredlord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The skill costs so little to cast and recast

haha, it almost seems like you don't even know what you're talking about...

Templars have the most expensive abilities in the game on average.

THIS SKILL IS LITERALLY THE MOST EXPENSIVE ONE WE HAVE!
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dredlord wrote: »

2589 for a three second channel. 850ish per second. Thats less than my regen rate. It is literally free.

In other words, by the time the channel has completed, I have more resource than before I pushed the button.

Edited by Rylana on March 8, 2015 4:20AM
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Fact: all executes are good (except the DK one that is too cumbersome to use efficiently). You get hit with endless fury, impale, executioner, or, get this, radiant destruction, you are pretty much dead and there is little you can do about it. So, again, congratulations for executing low health targets. I do it every time I log onto my sorcerer, more effectively, quicker, and safer every time I go into Cyordiil.

Fact 2: This is a low DPS skill. Go ahead and join an AA group and pay attention to how the Templars DPS. If your logic is correct, they only need this one skill and spam it. They don;t. So either you are right and every other Templar is wrong or you are wrong and every other Templar recognizes this skill is only worth casting against low health targets...like all executes.

As far as you just pressing that button, the only reason you were racking up kills is because other players were actually DPSing effectively and burned down the enemies shields and defenses until that "magic moment" appeared and you actually meaningfully contributed DPS. Go ahead and duel and try your spam theory and see how far it will get you. You can only spam this skill because other players are taking enemy fire and contributing the necessary DPS for it to be effective.

In the span of just a few days I have already seen the better players adapt at defending against this skill. You are just wasting your mana and leaving yourself open to the enemy is you hit this button as you claim against any competent opponent.

Yes, this skill has killed many people - as all ranged executes do - and a lot of them are light armor DKs who are so used to to just wading into 20 people flapping their wings expecting to survive. I've used this skill and have had it used against me. It really is not that hard to defend against.

1. PvE is irrelevant, this is PvP. Vs PvE enemies with half a million or more health the situation is a lot different vs players with less than 30k on average.

2. War of resource management. I never claimed this was a dual spec, I dont duel. Duels do not determine what is a good group PvP build and what is not. Stop trying to justify your point by changing the circumstances of the fight to fit your needs. I was in 12v12 or higher numbers the entire time.

3. Keep fooling yourself into the misguided belief that I was leeching on others damage to get my kills, that always is the go-to argument for any counterclaim. Anecdotally I remember very specifically burning down a DK completely without any assistance because I was isolated and CCed off to the side and had to go through him to rejoin my stack.

4. To the guy above, Talons has always been broken, I dont beat that dead horse, so dont claim I am biased, I know whats broken and what isnt.
  • Dredlord
    Dredlord
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2589 for a three second channel. 850ish per second. Thats less than my regen rate. It is literally free.

In other words, by the time the channel has completed, I have more resource than before I pushed the button.

That is going all in on light armour and cost reduction jewelry, you are about as tanky as a wet paper bag.

Your regen ticks on 2 second intervals, can you show us a SS of your stats so we can see your regen at 2589? so the one tick that happens during the channel will put you at more than when you started? you would at least need 1700 plus regen to keep even with the cast over the long run.

Cmon, stop being such a lying little drama queen and stop with the misinformation.
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is going all in on light armour and cost reduction jewelry, you are about as tanky as a wet paper bag.

Your regen ticks on 2 second intervals, can you show us a SS of your stats so we can see your regen at 2589? so the one tick that happens during the channel will put you at more than when you started? you would at least need 1700 plus regen to keep even with the cast over the long run.

Cmon, stop being such a lying little drama queen and stop with the misinformation.

7LA (5 war, 5 sed) + SnB + Channeled Focus 4 + 1659 native regen = 22000 Spell Defense, 14000 Armor, a cost of 2589, and a regen of 1659 + 120 (CF4 regens 120 magicka/half second, so is effectively "regen") = 1779

Channeled focus lasts 18 seconds and costs 610, so the extra 79 regen provided over what is needed for radiant replenishes that in less than half the duration of that cast.

Are we done here? Yeah, we are done here.

By all means though, keep messing with someone that is holding all the cards and should never be assumed to be making wild claims.
    Edited by Rylana on March 8, 2015 5:09AM
  • Dredlord
    Dredlord
    ✭✭✭✭✭

7LA + SnB + Channeled Focus 4 + 1659 native regen = 22000 Spell Defense, 14000 Armor, a cost of 2589, and a regen of 1659 + 120 (CF4 regens 120 magicka/half second, so is effectively "regen") = 1779

Channeled focus lasts 18 seconds and costs 610, so the extra 79 regen provided over what is needed for radiant replenishes that in less than half the duration of that cast.

By all means though, keep messing with someone that is holding all the cards and should never be assumed to be making wild claims.

just like I thought more lies, now your bar has a different loadout than your original post. I thought all you "needed' was 1 button?

post a screenshot of your stats as requested or gtfo.... or wait...have you been trying find someone to buff you?
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

7LA + SnB + Channeled Focus 4 + 1659 native regen = 22000 Spell Defense, 14000 Armor, a cost of 2589, and a regen of 1659 + 120 (CF4 regens 120 magicka/half second, so is effectively "regen") = 1779

just like I thought more lies, now your bar has a different loadout than your original post. I thought all you "needed' was 1 button?

post a screenshot of your stats as requested or gtfo.... or wait...have you been trying find someone to buff you?

The *** you talking about, I always used channeled on my offbar. Youve never heard of people using buffs like circle of protection, healing ward, etc on the flipbar? LOL.

Youre grasping at straws now my tasty friend, and youre losing the argument. So before you lose more face, just stop.