The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[1.6] Sorcerer Tank[Or Tanky DPS] Build Help

Mikoto
Mikoto
✭✭✭
Hello Sorc players!

I'm trying to come up with a viable tank build for my sorc that will work for 1.6. I'm new to tanking in ESO but not new to it in general so I want to try to take the plunge with a class that many seem to put down as well as I always enjoyed playing the spellsword/battlemage type character in the TES games. Below are some things I have my mind set on -
  • Magicka Based
  • Imperial Race
  • Secondary Weapon can be anything but I heard Destro is best for magicka builds as a fallback
  • Heavy/Light Mixture

I currently do all kinds of content from PvE and PvP so any help making a build that can swap a full skills before jumping in Cyrodiil to make it viable would be fine with me. If it's also better to make it more DPS [with survivalbility] then I'm also fine with that as well. If one can also detail out why certain skills work with another when explaining it would be a godsend because I'm trying to learn more about the system in itself so I can theorycraft some builds in the future once I get better with it.
  • Mikoto
    Mikoto
    ✭✭✭
    Have anyone had any luck with getting a viable magicka tank or it's impossible?
  • Hutuldur
    Hutuldur
    ✭✭
    It works. It won't be the tankiest tank, but it can do some fun stuff other tanks can't.

Armor 5+2 or 5+1+1 (5 heavy), sword+shield. That's basics of all tanks, not just sorcs. Mixing gives undaunted passive bonus.

Good things that sorc can do that others can't:
    - Extra damage shield.
    - Cheap ultimates.
    - Pets (dps while you tank)
    - Streak (gives breathing break in tight spots).
    - Finisher (endless fury). Only NB and sorc tanks have finishers. Nice to be able to help on final moments of bosses.

You won't have stamina for anything else than blocking and perhaps taunting, so no stamina skills. Plenty of magicka skills to choose from though.
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're a patch late for a magicka tanks. I suppose they're still possible, but their heyday is past.

Tanky DPS is still possible. Imperial is not the best choice for a magicka character. Altmer, Breton or Dunmer are, as they're the races with bonuses to max magicka. Still, Imperial's bonuses to health and stamina will definitely help. If you're set on Imperial, you can do well with one.

Magicka casters generally wear 5 pieces of light armor, due to the passives. The other two can be more light, or any mix of heavy and medium. Personally, I wear 5L/ 1H/ 1M. All light is too flimsy, and there are some nice passives in the Undaunted line that benefit someone wearing a mix. In some cases (PvP), a heavy-armor sorc who uses drink instead of food can also be viable. I had one of these tear me up good the other day ;)

If you want to do a true tank, you'll need to be stamina-based. You will still use magicka for a few key buffs (Lightning Form, Critical Surge). But your key resource pool absolutely should be stamina. Note, if you do this, then Imperial is definitely the best race. Stamina builds are really good now, so this is a great time to start one ;)
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• kokoandshinb14a_ESO
    Snit wrote: »
    You're a patch late for a magicka tanks. I suppose they're still possible, but their heyday is past.

Tanky DPS is still possible. Imperial is not the best choice for a magicka character. Altmer, Breton or Dunmer are, as they're the races with bonuses to max magicka. Still, Imperial's bonuses to health and stamina will definitely help. If you're set on Imperial, you can do well with one.

Magicka casters generally wear 5 pieces of light armor, due to the passives. The other two can be more light, or any mix of heavy and medium. Personally, I wear 5L/ 1H/ 1M. All light is too flimsy, and there are some nice passives in the Undaunted line that benefit someone wearing a mix. In some cases (PvP), a heavy-armor sorc who uses drink instead of food can also be viable. I had one of these tear me up good the other day ;)

If you want to do a true tank, you'll need to be stamina-based. You will still use magicka for a few key buffs (Lightning Form, Critical Surge). But your key resource pool absolutely should be stamina. Note, if you do this, then Imperial is definitely the best race. Stamina builds are really good now, so this is a great time to start one ;)

I'll agree to disagree on the stam vs magic tank.

The reason in mind that a magic tank..any class... us still better is because you don't use your primary resource for dps and defense.

With a magic tank he uses stamina solely to block and dodge, while using his best resource to keep aggro, heal himself, and cast utility spells.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Mikoto
    Mikoto
    ✭✭✭
    Snit wrote: »

Yeah, that's what I'm getting as well it seems. The reason I'm going with Imperial is so I don't have a bigger stam pool to begin with than otherwise since my magicka regen will be focused on.