Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Questions for the best PVP Players

Roechacca
Roechacca
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I never got a chance to fully test 1.6.whatever it is now after the Dev PVP . There were a lot of issues that completly discouraged me from further testing . Granted I get frustrated easily . These questions are for those that really test everything to death to get the best setups at launch .

#1 What have you discovered to be the best skill lines now for each class and why ?

#2 What gear best compliments these builds ?

# 3 What new , if any , play style do you think you'll now incorporate in your raids ?

# 4 What issues from the past seem fixed now or at least settled to a reasonable degree ?

Finally , are you excited , indifferent or skeptical of this release to PVP ?

Only answer the questions you think you've gathered enough information on . I don't expect everyone to be able to answer all .
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The intent of the thread was to discuss positive changes to the games PVP system and to look forward to something . Educating people to know their class better in 1.6 and discuss concerns or excitement for the release .

... I forget people keep their builds secret right before live so there's little competition in PVP .

I'll give myself a "LOL" for attempting to make a positive thread .
  • TheBucket
    TheBucket
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can answer all those questions with the same response. You're basically going to want to Min/Max and chose your stat-line. All of the skills are useful now in my opinion outside a few silly ones like Agony.
    William Reignes
    Magic Nightblade - Rogue Bomber
    Creator of Thirsty Thief Build (Retired 1.5)
  • Tripwyr
    Tripwyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite the large number of changes, the core skills are mostly unchanged. This means your primary skills will be largely unchanged, although you might switch morphs in some cases.

The largest changes are the introduction of the champion system, the armor changes, and the Negate nerf.

The introduction of the champion system has demolished all hybrid builds and forced you to heavily invest into your chosen role. This means no more 2h light armor Sorcs, much less effective 1h/shield DKs, no more sap tanks, etc. If you choose Light Armor you will have to use a staff and heavily invest into magicka/spell based survival such as damage shields. Same goes for Stamina builds, you will be heavily investing into roll dodge, break free, and armor penetration stats.

The armor changes mean that Light Armor will be very delicate, although damage shields very powerful right now and make the armor change largely irrelevant. The impenetrable nerf means that shields are the only way to block crits making them very strong. Heavy armor is much more viable now that it increases both armor and spell resist.

Finally, the Negate nerf largely removes the ground effect meta. If you ground effects are removed you can just recast them, so Negate is essentially just a reactive ultimate counter. You will still see it used a fair amount, especially with the buffs it grants (8% damage reduction for suppression field, 20% All Regen + 20% speed for Absorption Field), but it will not be dominant as it is today.

I don't have a build planned at this time, so I can't give you any feedback there. Remember that 1.6.2 and 1.6.3 are introducing several more sweeping balance changes, so don't be getting too set on a build yet.
    Edited by Tripwyr on February 10, 2015 6:49PM
    Alacrity Founder | Forum Emperor
    World First Veteran Dragonstar Arena

Tripwyr Manawrath - AD NA Sorcerer, Former Emperor of Haderus; Former Emperor of Hopesfire, First Cycle
    Tripwyr Flamewrath - AD NA Dragon Knight, Former Emperor of Thornblade, First Cycle
    Imperial Tripwyr - AD NA Templar, Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade
    Ripwyr - DC NA Templar
    Nyrv - EP NA Sorcerer

I am of the firm opinion that subtracting "raging stupidity" from anyone's voice can only cause them to sound more like myself.
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tripwyr wrote: »
    Despite the large number of changes, the core skills are mostly unchanged. This means your primary skills will be largely unchanged, although you might switch morphs in some cases.

The largest changes are the introduction of the champion system, the armor changes, and the Negate nerf.

The introduction of the champion system has demolished all hybrid builds and forced you to heavily invest into your chosen role. This means no more 2h light armor Sorcs, much less effective 1h/shield DKs, no more sap tanks, etc. If you choose Light Armor you will have to use a staff and heavily invest into magicka/spell based survival such as damage shields. Same goes for Stamina builds, you will be heavily investing into roll dodge, break free, and armor penetration stats.

The armor changes mean that Light Armor will be very delicate, although damage shields very powerful right now and make the armor change largely irrelevant. The impenetrable nerf means that shields are the only way to block crits making them very strong. Heavy armor is much more viable now that it increases both armor and spell resist.

Finally, the Negate nerf largely removes the ground effect meta. If you ground effects are removed you can just recast them, so Negate is essentially just a reactive ultimate counter. You will still see it used a fair amount, especially with the buffs it grants (8% damage reduction for suppression field, 20% All Regen + 20% speed for Absorption Field), but it will not be dominant as it is today.

I don't have a build planned at this time, so I can't give you any feedback there. Remember that 1.6.2 and 1.6.3 are introducing several more sweeping balance changes, so don't be getting too set on a build yet.

Excellent and informative . Calculating Champion spending was difficult as several trees effected similar areas in the classes . Any idea how many patch releases are expected on Test before release or are they just playing it by ear ? I'm curious if it will make the scheduled release time this month .
  • Tripwyr
    Tripwyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    roechacca wrote: »

Excellent and informative . Calculating Champion spending was difficult as several trees effected similar areas in the classes . Any idea how many patch releases are expected on Test before release or are they just playing it by ear ? I'm curious if it will make the scheduled release time this month .

Scheduled release is March 17th, and I would expect them to release it that day no matter how buggy or incomplete it is.

They definitely have 1.6.2 and 1.6.3 planned, but they mentioned wanting to implement some things which weren't planned for those patches, so we may see another one after 1.6.3.

Tripwyr Manawrath - AD NA Sorcerer, Former Emperor of Haderus; Former Emperor of Hopesfire, First Cycle
    Tripwyr Flamewrath - AD NA Dragon Knight, Former Emperor of Thornblade, First Cycle
    Ripwyr - DC NA Templar
    Nyrv - EP NA Sorcerer

I am of the firm opinion that subtracting "raging stupidity" from anyone's voice can only cause them to sound more like myself.
  • ZOS_ShannonM
    ZOS_ShannonM
    ✭✭✭
    Hello folks,

We have split multiple comments from this thread for being off topic/derailing.
    We ask that all posts are related to the subject being discussed.

Thank you for understanding.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Scheduled release is March 17th, and I would expect them to release it that day no matter how buggy or incomplete it is.

They definitely have 1.6.2 and 1.6.3 planned, but they mentioned wanting to implement some things which weren't planned for those patches, so we may see another one after 1.6.3.

The lag was a unbearable at the Dev event . Was there any noticeable change since the last patch ? Also , are you looking forward to the release or are you skeptical this change is a step in the right direction ? I personally didn't see anything too exciting about the heavy armor change but I did like the new animations on staff . Some of the new animations looked like more space beams every where though . Not sure how I feel about everything just yet ...
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting thread. If you don't mind me piggy backing, I would like to know what traits, glyphs and mundus stones have scaled well to work with PvP or if nothing has changed. Is impenetrable still worth while enough to be the dominant trait?
  • Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Interesting thread. If you don't mind me piggy backing, I would like to know what traits, glyphs and mundus stones have scaled well to work with PvP or if nothing has changed. Is impenetrable still worth while enough to be the dominant trait?

Trip stated earlier impenetrable doesn't do much of anything any more . Shield staking seems to be the new cure for crit defense . They changed how impenetrable works . I believe it reduces crit damage now instead of stopping the over all chance of a crit ? Not sure , need confirmation .
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Trip stated earlier impenetrable doesn't do much of anything any more . Shield staking seems to be the new cure for crit defense . They changed how impenetrable works . I believe it reduces crit damage now instead of stopping the over all chance of a crit ? Not sure , need confirmation .

Yeah, I guess I was just using it as an example. It does just reduce crit damage rather than prevent it, but I am wondering with how much it scaled if something like defending that raises actual armor value would even mitigate more crit damage than impenetrable.

That reminds me. With armor equaling spell resistance as far as armor types go, does that apply to thing that boost armor value or does it boost seperately?
  • Juraigr
    Juraigr
    ✭✭✭✭

The lag was a unbearable at the Dev event . Was there any noticeable change since the last patch ? Also , are you looking forward to the release or are you skeptical this change is a step in the right direction ? I personally didn't see anything too exciting about the heavy armor change but I did like the new animations on staff . Some of the new animations looked like more space beams every where though . Not sure how I feel about everything just yet ...

New animations look kinda ***
    EU Worst DK , Best DK Singapore and NA also known as 'Special Snowflake'

Jurra - V14 Dragonknight Rank 38 August Palatine
    Jurra Hex - V14 Sorcerer Rank 25 Colonel [SEMI-RETIRED until Zos fix this BS sorc nonsense]

LA DK Still OP :P

One of the Three Light Armor DK's

#200StandardOfMightFFS
    #RevertAshCloud
    #RevertNewAnimations
    #RevertUltiGain

#FixMoltenWhip

Grinding my way to August Palatine finally made it, still holding a torch for eso so now imma filthy casual
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just in case you people missed it - latest news is 1.6 to be released last week of february (as long as everything goes according to plan, of course). See: dev tracker.
  • Bouvin
    Bouvin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheBucket wrote: »
    I can answer all those questions with the same response. You're basically going to want to Min/Max and chose your stat-line. All of the skills are useful now in my opinion outside a few silly ones like Agony.

And the one that replaced haste. Trying to get 8 light attacks in PvP just to do a mediocre attack is pointless.
  • Tripwyr
    Tripwyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »

Just in case you people missed it - latest news is 1.6 to be released last week of february (as long as everything goes according to plan, of course). See: dev tracker.

Extremely unlikely at this point.

Yeah, I guess I was just using it as an example. It does just reduce crit damage rather than prevent it, but I am wondering with how much it scaled if something like defending that raises actual armor value would even mitigate more crit damage than impenetrable.

That reminds me. With armor equaling spell resistance as far as armor types go, does that apply to thing that boost armor value or does it boost seperately?

100 Impenetrable = -1.5625% critical damage. 3200 Impenetrable is required to eliminate critical strikes against a player with 50% critical damage.

Other than Impenetrable, nothing has changed. Impenetrable is close to worthless, although it does provide some defense for those who are not shield stacking.

I would expect the relevant stats will be some combination of Infused, Divines, Impenetrable and Reinforced for medium/heavy wearers.

Animation cancelling feels smoother with the new animations, but otherwise they are irrelevant to me.

Lag was bad during the Dev event because there were so many players who logged onto the PTS only for that event. Aside from that event, the campaign has never exceeded 1 bar on any side, so it is impossible to say whether the lag is better or worse.

However, in light of the new changes and the lack of any optimizations, I would expect more lag in 1.6. They tripled the number of server calculations per spellcast, so I can't possible see how this will reduce the lag.
    Edited by Tripwyr on February 10, 2015 7:52PM

Ripwyr - DC NA Templar
    Nyrv - EP NA Sorcerer

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It was posted only a few hours ago.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/comment/1548340#Comment_1548340
  • Tripwyr
    Tripwyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't wait for this horribly imbalanced patch to release.
    Edited by Tripwyr on February 10, 2015 7:59PM

Ripwyr - DC NA Templar
    Nyrv - EP NA Sorcerer

• Roechacca
    Roechacca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So you're not looking forward to it ?
  • Tripwyr
    Tripwyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not if it is releasing in 2 weeks or less. The patch has potential, but it is horribly imbalanced right now and according to Jessica's post, they are rushing it again.

Ripwyr - DC NA Templar
    Nyrv - EP NA Sorcerer

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not if it is releasing in 2 weeks or less. The patch has potential, but it is horribly imbalanced right now and according to Jessica's post, they are rushing it again.

It's standard operating procedure. Patch stays on PTS until all game-breaking issues (like crashes, quest blockers, etc.) are fixed, then it goes to live, and balance will be dealt with after.

Honestly, i like it this way better. I get to play with the new toys sooner, and can just avoid the unbalanced things for a while.
  • Tripwyr
    Tripwyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's standard operating procedure. Patch stays on PTS until all game-breaking issues (like crashes, quest blockers, etc.) are fixed, then it goes to live, and balance will be dealt with after.

Honestly, i like it this way better. I get to play with the new toys sooner, and can just avoid the unbalanced things for a while.

They have consistently screwed this up every patch since release.

Ripwyr - DC NA Templar
    Nyrv - EP NA Sorcerer

• Jahosefat
    Jahosefat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Preface: would never claim to be best, but hold my own. Also haven't tested 1.6 to death but mucked around enough to feel I will have a good starting point when 1.6 goes live. During the 1.6 limbo period I've been messing around with some other games that got ignored in the past year due to eso.

#1: Hard to tell atm with all the little changes and such. Ex: delay added to encase makes it much less useful than it was on live. Bug or change? Who knows, but little things like this make and break build strategies. So coming up with an exact build that will be used on live from the PTS is difficult, as things may change. But for mag sorcs: bolt escape buffed and shields are very strong (may get toned down), daedric mines were buffed to where they may be more useful in some builds, crushing shock took a damage hit with the surge changes but can almost be a free cast mag wise with the resource changes. Didn't play with 1h&s or DW, but bow/2h stam sorc with BOL may be pretty awesome (but a big play-style change for me).

#2: For mag-heavy builds good stam management is going to become more important. I found going seducer + other mag sets left me with a pitiful stam pool when compared to live. I ran 5/5 arena (40% cost reduction on break-free) and felt much, much better. I can't roll dodge nearly as much, but with shield stacking + bolt escape + cheep break free + tri-pots I felt pretty darn un-catch-able. I have a feeling something in this equation is likely to change before 1.6 hits live though, and it will probably be the shields.

#3: I don't organize any large groups but tag-along sometimes with raids, but I think negate will become a much less useful and important tool for large groups.

#4: The stam heavy sorc builds I played with (that I had messed around with on live) felt a lot tougher in 1.6 with less stam regen problems. This may be the direction I go in if the shields take a big hit in the next couple of weeks.

My 2 gold :) PS: I like sharing info, it makes the competition better ;)
    Joeshock- AD NA AB Thorn Chill Sorc New Eden Low Sec Roamer

Fight not with monsters lest ye become one