Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

So whats the Point of Having Caltrops anymore?

Goldie
Goldie
✭✭✭✭✭
"•Abilities that apply a secondary effect, such as Caltrops, will only snare the 6 targets who take full damage."

Seriously?
"Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar
  • Garion
    Garion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, this does seem extremely stupid. You revamp the AOE cap but reduce the amount of targets hit by snare?? Perhaps consider 16 targets or something... but 6?
    Lastobeth - VR16 Sorc - PvP Rank 41 (AD)
    Lastoblyat - VR16 Templar - PvP Rank 14 (AD)
    Ninja Pete - VR16 NB - PvP Rank 10 (AD)
    Labo the Banana Slayer - VR14 Sorc - PvP Rank 12 (EP)

Member of Banana Squad | Officer of Arena
  • Erock25
    Erock25
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I get what you guys are saying, but using caltrops versus 6, or even in a 1vs1 situation, is useful at times.
    You earned the 500 LOLs badge.
    You received 500 LOLs. It ain't no fluke, you post great stuff and we're lucky to have you here. +50 points
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All abilities like that now cap at 6. As it should.

Want more snared? Have more people use it.
    Formerly @Persian_Princess .. Now @Asgari
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Ariana Kishi | DK | True Liberator of Haderus
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
    Youtube: Asgari
  • WebBull
    WebBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All abilities like that now cap at 6. As it should.

Want more snared? Have more people use it.

Sorry, its not worth a spot on the bar. At the very least they should have made the full damage (to the first 6) meaningful.
  • Goldie
    Goldie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is used to slow down enemies who are raging into wall breaches. Now, there is no slowing down large mobs. So what use is caltrops, if it is only snaring 6 out of 50 players?

USELESS!
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar
  • Goldie
    Goldie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So from now on, the weakest 6 players in my groups go first to use up the 6 player snare,

then the OP squad comes in to wipe the hopeless defenders, unchecked, full speed ahead....
    Edited by Goldie on January 27, 2015 7:57PM
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Goldie wrote: »
    This is used to slow down enemies who are raging into wall breaches. Now, there is no slowing down large mobs. So what use is caltrops, if it is only snaring 6 out of 50 players?

USELESS!

Detects stealth groups as well. And 1 person for a low cost shouldn't be able to slow a full group. Don't forget maneuvers lets you go right through it anyways.
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
  • Goldie
    Goldie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

USELESS!

Detects stealth groups as well. And 1 person for a low cost shouldn't be able to slow a full group. Don't forget maneuvers lets you go right through it anyways.

Yeah, detect stealthed players for 700+ Stamina...

or

Use a detect potion...

Hmmm
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

USELESS!

or

Use a detect potion...

Hmmm

Not talking about ganking. Referring to groups stealthing up at resources and keeps. Allows you to detect them at a range you can't do with potions.

Think beyond the the snare. There is more to the ability than just that.
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
  • Goldie
    Goldie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

USELESS!

or

Use a detect potion...

Hmmm

Not talking about ganking. Referring to groups stealthing up at resources and keeps. Allows you to detect them at a range you can't do with potions.

I agree. and I love you.
  • Asgari
    Asgari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

USELESS!

or

Use a detect potion...

Hmmm

I agree. and I love you.

:heart:
    Princess Asgari | Sorc
    Asgari | NB
    -Asgari | Stamplar
    Banner Down!
    No Mercy
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh they kind of made it useless.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Use the flare ability(or whatever it was called) to detect stealthed players.

caltrops...hmm...

ill think of some kind of use for it:D
  • morvegil
    morvegil
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doesnt it still drain stamina from blocking users....
    Lo'ke
    Nord Vampire
    Nightblade
    Shield+BOW

Daggerfall Covenant
    Bandit King
    Bridge Bandits Guild
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does it only snare the first 6 players or when they step out will it overwrite onto somebody else?
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
  • Goldie
    Goldie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotSo wrote: »
    Does it only snare the first 6 players or when they step out will it overwrite onto somebody else?

I have no idea, the patch notes weren't that specific regarding the snare, only the part I quoted.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NotSo wrote: »

I would assume it will hit somebody else. The effect is a pulsing DOT, it probably checks for possible targets on every pulse.
  • Mukuro
    Mukuro
    ✭✭
    Not only caltrops... but how about that nerfed bolt escape... they should fix it
    Illusions... or real illusions. Within the illusions hide real illusions... from the real illusions, the illusions are created. Within the truth hides the lie... within the lie hides the truth.
    (EP) V13 Sorc "Mukuro Rokudo"
    (EP) V3 Temp "Unmei No Yari"
    (AD) V5 Nb "L'uomo Nero"
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caltrops is one of the most useful PVP skills out there. If you have unlocked it but are not using it, you are doing something wrong.

Caltrops is the first skill I use when entering a battle (except for 1v1s). The snare is very good, and it has a noticeable impact on the battle. Enemies have to leave the area any time caltrops are down.

Also, most people don't realize this, but Caltrops dramatically increases your AP gain. Its area of effect is huge, and you get AP for each enemy killed that has touched your caltrops. It's not uncommon for me to get 50 to 100 AP per kill in a very large battle (without being grouped) simply because I have spammed caltrops a few times.
  • ArcanusMagus
    ArcanusMagus
    ✭✭✭
    Mukuro wrote: »
    Not only caltrops... but how about that nerfed bolt escape... they should fix it

I totally agree. What use are caltrops if only 6 people can be snared? Also, unnerf bolt escape.
    Arcanus Magus
    Chrysamere Pact
  • Teargrants
    Teargrants
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    morvegil wrote: »
    Doesnt it still drain stamina from blocking users....
    It will still, but ZOS already stated they are removing the ability to block ground aoe like caltrops in a later patch, so it won't drain stamina then.

Also, I just want to point out what all the organized guilds are thinking but won't say: no one cares about caltrops on breaches currently anyways because Retreating Maneuvers, so this isn't really much of a change to the meta tbh. You're welcome.
    Edited by Teargrants on January 28, 2015 3:52AM
    POST EQVITEM SEDET ATRA CVRA
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    EP ※ Teargrants ※
    EP ※ Kissgrants ※
    DC ※ Kirsi ※
    Vehemence Council
    #JustOutOfRenderRange
    ~Teargrants YouTube~
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
  • k2blader
    k2blader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    I would assume it will hit somebody else. The effect is a pulsing DOT, it probably checks for possible targets on every pulse.

Your post brought to mind a certain 3 letter word..

Well, pretty much all the AoE changes bring it to mind. :-[

Disabling the grass may improve performance.
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    Is caltrops still viable in PvP in 2017?
    A Dragon's Tear has many mystical qualities...
    dragontears.boards.net
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we get a cost reduction on these AoEs if they are going to be complete garbage. The 6k cost to only snare 6 people? Come on now should be like 1/3 of that.
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Rastafariel
    Rastafariel
    ✭✭✭
    agreed 3k 6ppl or 6k unlimited ;-)
    A Dragon's Tear has many mystical qualities...
    dragontears.boards.net
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caltraps has been useless since templar purge got an aoe snare.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...