The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How many would want to see more of the continent opened up in future expansions?

• Wolfshead
    Wolfshead
    ✭✭✭✭
    @miahq‌

I dont know about you if this is your 1st mmorpg or not but normal a expansion to a mmorpg is that the open new part of world with it own storylines and new gear and everything so i dont really see point of this poll.

But to answer your quesiton YES.
    If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, opening it up would be great
    WhiskyBob wrote: »
    Cody wrote: »
    I have always wanted to go to Akavir:)

Akavir got swallowed by the ocean. So unless they add scuba diving no Akavir for ya.

it did?
  • miahq
    miahq
    ✭✭✭
    Wolfshead wrote: »
    @miahq‌

I dont know about you if this is your 1st mmorpg or not but normal a expansion to a mmorpg is that the open new part of world with it own storylines and new gear and everything so i dont really see point of this poll.

But to answer your quesiton YES.

This is the first MMO so far that I've not completely hated, would be the answer to that.

I know a lot of MMOs add huge sections to the map, with WoW being a good example. But how many people are in those sections now? New content shouldn't be a one off thing where everyone is found until the next update comes along, at which point everyone will abandon the old one and never go back.

It shouldn't be that hard to make it worth exploring either, skyrim and oblivion are smaller and I would still find something new every time I went through an area. You could spend six months to a year just exploring the map before you found every quest and every little hidden thing. If each alliance area was just that size then exploring all three territories would take forever, each with quests and things you might have missed the first time around.

It's more about creating a vibrant, immersive landscape than just new content. If it's just a new dungeon crawl every few months, people will just start up subscribing between expansions. What else is there to do while you wait? Oh, a whole lot of nothing at the moment.
  • AshySamurai
    AshySamurai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, more expansions like we've gotten would be fine
    miahq wrote: »
    Current map have it's own advantages. Low-level players know where next area starts. Also, why you need to return back? RP? So, you ask to complicate the system only for small purposes. I'm fine with RP, but it's really not game breaking. One more - you want to travel from AD to EP and nor AD not EP will attack you. CS and CG are like alternative reality. I don't think it was supposed to travel from one alliance to another on foot because it is a war here. In Craglorn you can find outpost, but they don't letting you in.
    So, if ZOS someday tweak map - ok. If not - I couldn't care less.

It's wanted because that's literally what defines an elder scrolls game, more than even the characters and the lore. Open world exploration. That is literally the substance of the franchise. It's like making an online star wars game without Jedi. If it's just a complete linear progression from one zone to the next, it's not an elder scrolls game.

Besides with all the maps, compasses, and quest markers available in game and through add-ons, I don't see too many people getting lost.

Well, someone (especially new players) don't use addons.
    As it was stated many times before: "It is not Skyrim Online and not Oblivion/Morrowind Online". ESO is a MMO in Elder Scrolls Universe. It's far more easier to make zoned MMO than seamless MMO.
    While I was writing this answer I remembered that DC is a more or less seamless region. So, my main question now: what to you mean seamless - world without gates or world without loading screens?
    Edited by AshySamurai on January 4, 2015 6:12AM
    Make sweetrolls, not nerfs!
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know we're never going to get completely open continent, though I'd be happy with just larger zones set next to each other so you could walk between them, even if there was a loading screen.

You mean... like Stonefalls/Deshaan/Shadowfen and Eastmarch/Rift, or Glenumbra/Stormhaven/Rivenspire/Bangkorai, or Grahtwood/Greenshade/Malabel Tor/Reapers march... no, wait... that's all set up like that already, you can walk from one of those to the next through a loading screen, sometimes through a castle gate, sometimes just following a path. Of course, that means only one path between them, but... better that way then getting loads of loading screens as you move back and forth overe the border methinks...

Of course, other trips are more or a "fasttravel" thing...

Personally I'd prefer minimizing loading screens too, but... technical limitations, better to have a decent game then a lagfest.
  • miahq
    miahq
    ✭✭✭
    Basically more areas like that, but it's not that hard to extend the gate so you don't just have one spot to cross between any two zones. There's a huge difference though even between being able to walk through an entire continent through gates and only being able to fast travel through a few select parts of that continent.

And as far as this not being skyrim online, it's still ELDER SCROLLS online. And you don't build an MMO around an existing successful franchise unless you want to try and capitalize on that market. Unless you've completely no business sense, at least. If all you're interested in is the MMO market, it's not really necessarily to make it elder anything. it's also worth pointing out that that mantra is a huge reason this game tanked with so many people at release. It's partly why they're desperately trying to reinvigorate it now. It might not be skyrim online, but if you don't actually make it elder scrolls online the only thing it's going to continue to do is shed subs until the only crowd that's left are the MMO crowd. And considering that clearly wasn't the intent, that's a pretty good definition of a failed title. And if the champion system pans, they're going to lose even more. Not to mention they've still got to resolve the sub problem for console launch. Either they go b2p or f2p and lose a big chunk of their PC audience to try and capture more of the console market, or they keep the sub and it hurts their console sales. So this isn't exactly the best time for eso to just sort of stay the course, especially since the console market they're trying to reach are those very same skyrim fans you and others seem to think should just go play skyrim.

Skyrim by the way had five million players on steam just three months after launch, and sold over 20 million copies total. The only released numbers for ESO subs put it at around 770k. Swtor started off with about 1.7 million-- and dropped to f2p after it fell under 1 million. So so far they're 1) the worst performing ES game yet, and 2) performing worse than swtor did at launch. They're entirely dependent on the champion system and console release to raise those numbers-- and considering p2p is a hinderance to the console market, that may be going out the window shortly. Of course, it will all be for nothing, because unless you do embrace more of the elder scrolls style and move away from the same old MMO format, you're going to be about as successful at attracting ES fans as swtor was at attracting Star Wars fans (and they weren't successful at all).

• ebunts14_ESO
    ebunts14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless post.

Zenimax has already stated more of the land Will be phased in over time. As for the rest of Nirn, won't happen. Not until Bethesda opens up Nirn in the Elder Scrolls games.
  • DarthRupert
    DarthRupert
    ✭✭✭
    This would be a great idea for a traditional mmo expansion. First they have to actually add the rest of the zones to get the full map of Tamriel. Opening up the world as an actual expansion would also allow them to add other major content changes. Potentially as transferring into the next era.
  • miahq
    miahq
    ✭✭✭
    This would be a great idea for a traditional mmo expansion. First they have to actually add the rest of the zones to get the full map of Tamriel. Opening up the world as an actual expansion would also allow them to add other major content changes. Potentially as transferring into the next era.

It would be nice to see them start adding new areas of the continent in addition to the kind of expansions we've been getting. With a five year plan though, I just hope I don't have to wait five years to see the whole continent complete.
  • miahq
    miahq
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless post.

Zenimax has already stated more of the land Will be phased in over time. As for the rest of Nirn, won't happen. Not until Bethesda opens up Nirn in the Elder Scrolls games.

Except the next expansion is the orc capital, not the whole province being added to the map, all players will just travel to a portion of it. So it's not pointless. There's a huge difference between teleporting to a sliver of a province and being able to walk to the orc capital through the entire province.
  • stierlitz
    stierlitz
    20 or more
  • miahq
    miahq
    ✭✭✭
    stierlitz wrote: »
    20 or more

Load screens?
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Akavir got swallowed by the ocean. So unless they add scuba diving no Akavir for ya.

Huh?
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

it did?

No.
  • miahq
    miahq
    ✭✭✭
    AngryNord wrote: »

Huh?

Wait, actually he's thinking of Yokuda, where the redguard are originally from. Akavir isn't even on any map I've seen. And even yokuda, I mean it wouldn't be the first time this franchise has thrown in time travel.
  • Bloodfang
    Bloodfang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the point of this pool, who doesn't want that??
  • WhiskyBob
    WhiskyBob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, more expansions like we've gotten would be fine

it did?

Yes. Thats why Ra Gada (Redguards) had to migrate and invade Tamriel. Yokuda sank in late first era.
  • Master_Fluff
    Master_Fluff
    ✭✭✭✭

it did?

No, that was Yokuda. Original homeland of the Redguards. That's why they sailed to the Tamrielic mainland and invaded Volenfell (renamed Hammerfell) .Akavir is still very much there. Even in the timeline of Skyrim (fourth era).
    Halcyon Black
  • miahq
    miahq
    ✭✭✭
    Despair9 wrote: »
    What is the point of this pool, who doesn't want that??

There is a difference though, if it's just new content that let's you travel to a sliver of different provinces versus adding new provinces to the map that can be reached just from walking from one point to another. So far what they're doing seems to be the former, using the blank spots on the map as a source to continue making sort of one off stories taking place in certain parts of provinces. Look at the next one coming out, it's the orc capital and part of the surrounding province. But since it's for all the players, it will likely be you being transported there. It won't be a new province on the map.
  • Rodario
    Rodario
    ✭✭✭✭✭

duh.
    Victoria Lux - Templar Tank
    {EU/DC}
  • ebunts14_ESO
    ebunts14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless post.

Except the next expansion is the orc capital, not the whole province being added to the map, all players will just travel to a portion of it. So it's not pointless. There's a huge difference between teleporting to a sliver of a province and being able to walk to the orc capital through the entire province.

First of all, lets get one thing straight. Zenimax has released updates which in general is the size of DLC's but they are updates, not expansions as you calling them.

Second, you not me is saying sliver. Now that's said, I only said that early on Zenimax said that other parts of Tamriel will be added over time. But only Tamriel.

Until Bethesda get into the other areas of Nirn, Zenimax isn't going to do so. There is still a lot of room and more to come in Tamriel.

• AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Um, no. Akiviir has never been swallowed by the sea, it is still fully inhabited in the fourth era.

I think @WhiskyBob you have gotten it confused with one of the other continents.

it did?

Yes. Thats why Ra Gada (Redguards) had to migrate and invade Tamriel. Yokuda sank in late first era.

Ah, now it becomes clear, that was Yokuda, not Akiviir, Akivir is still there.
    Edited by AlexDougherty on January 4, 2015 4:57PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think opening up new areas would be a great Idea, who doesn't want to see exotic Akivir, or the remenant of the Nede Homeland (Nord and Skaal Ancestors).
    Edited by AlexDougherty on January 4, 2015 4:59PM
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Cody
    Cody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

it did?

no. I mean akavir, not yokuda
  • TheLaw
    TheLaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why even post this? It's obvious that they will open more of the continent and the game progresses.
    -= Shahrzad the Great |Sorc| =-
  • Faugaun
    Faugaun
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This game is 600 years before other games ....forgive my knowledge of lore..but perhaps this predates that? If not maybe an underwater Atlantis style zone
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Faugaun wrote: »

This game is 600 years before other games ....forgive my knowledge of lore..but perhaps this predates that? If not maybe an underwater Atlantis style zone

1 - it is roughly 750 years before Arena and slightly less than 1000 years before Skyrim

2 - Akavir did NOT sink into the sea,
  • Alexies
    Alexies
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like if ZOS added akavir it would literally be ESO's version of mists of pandaria (or whatever)..

losing subs? ADD HUMANOID PANDAS (OR MONKEYS IN THIS CASE)

on topic though it would be great, but unfortunatly opening up the continant in the way that you want just isn't possible, it would mean they would have to redesign the whole game, plus I love the PVE zones as they are. pretty happy with a theme-park/sandbox hybrid tbh
    Edited by Alexies on January 4, 2015 8:54PM
  • Alexies
    Alexies
    ✭✭✭

it did?

no. I mean akavir, not yokuda

akavir has never sunk... I mean hell Uriel septim V launched an invasion into akavir in the third era (morrowind/oblivion era) that ended disastrously at the battle of ionith 3E 290 which means unless akavir sunk in skyrim (which it didn't) I think you have akavir mistaken for yokunda.
    Edited by Alexies on January 4, 2015 8:57PM
  • Alexies
    Alexies
    ✭✭✭
    I think opening up new areas would be a great Idea, who doesn't want to see exotic Akivir, or the remenant of the Nede Homeland (Nord and Skaal Ancestors).

me. cause the nords are racist bigots who have committed genocide. rather see pyandonea :P