The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Voice Chat Coming to Consoles, What About the PC?

Nestor
Nestor
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
According the Road Ahead Article, they are adding Voice Chat to the consoles, makes sense as those devices won't be using a keyboard. Does this mean Voice Chat is going to be doable on the PC platform?
Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• guybrushtb16_ESO
    guybrushtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably not, voice chat on pc isn't as widespread among the general population, and for those who want to use it regularly there are established 3rd party options that are almost guaranteed to be better than anything that could be done in the game.

The best possible solution would probably be to have some way to invite/join people into teamspeak channels etc. through the game's api if they can manage that.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have seen people saying that all their guild uses teamspeak, but from ages ago, since it already exists I doubt ZOS will replicate it.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Teamspeak
    Gear Head AU1200M

10 minutes to set up a local TS server, $8 if you don't have a headset.

You'll have studio quality sound without any connections issues, stutter, or lag.

(The noise cancelling and sound on this is better than the $80 Logitech's I've tried.)

Oh, and no ZoS maintenance personnel required.

& Nestor, your signature makes entirely too much sense.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • rophez_ESO
    rophez_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Teamspeak and Vent, and I'd still be very happy if there was an in game voice client. It really is annoying to have to alt-tab and put in server info every time you join a different group with a different TS.

It can still be optional, you guys who hate voice chat. DDO has an in-game voice client and most people use it, but many do not.
  • HydroCanuck
    HydroCanuck
    ✭✭
    Ingame Voice chat has never worked out well. It's under utilized for the ammount of work required, and it uses up server resources. If you don't want to setup your own, you can rent mumble servers, with 9999 user limits, for $4 a month.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A sort of hotlink/addon/interactable integrated from ESO to the TS client would be kind cool and require minimal resources.

Not providing the chat directly, but providing a quick method or redirection / link visibility without the window change, @rophez_ESO‌ .

If you host the server yourself, you get 32 connections for an annual cost of $0. If can normally run on the same machine you game on with a minimum setup, and 32 in a channel will normally be plenty for most individuals.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like it for no other reason than it would give me an option to have voice chat with anyone I group with, not just those who have TS or something else. Not having to do TS means one less program running in the background and one less thing to change with each grouping.

It would not stop people from using TS if they desired, but it would ease the whole voice chat concept for those who don't want to pay for a server or set up a connection for each grouping.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Chuggernaut
    Chuggernaut
    ✭✭✭
    I really wish they would, it was so handy in DDO having integrated voice chat.
    My comrades have returned. I erect the spine of gratitude. You are a hero today. - Bura-Natoo
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I would like it for no other reason than it would give me an option to have voice chat with anyone I group with, not just those who have TS or something else. Not having to do TS means one less program running in the background and one less thing to change with each grouping.

It would not stop people from using TS if they desired, but it would ease the whole voice chat concept for those who don't want to pay for a server or set up a connection for each grouping.

This. And, frankly, it's annoying that we get to pay them while they develop the console release which ends up having more functionality than the PC release.

Edit: And, it just lazy.
    Edited by Robocles on December 4, 2014 6:01PM
  • Robocles
    Robocles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ingame Voice chat has never worked out well. It's under utilized for the ammount of work required, and it uses up server resources. If you don't want to setup your own, you can rent mumble servers, with 9999 user limits, for $4 a month.

Says who?
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, voice chat is built into the console infrastructure already, almost every
    one of my PS4/PS3 games take advantage of it.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Robocles wrote: »

This. And, frankly, it's annoying that we get to pay them while they develop the console release which ends up having more functionality than the PC release.

And where is the PC gamepad support? I paid $10 for Xpadder (I know, not hard to get it free, but that's not really legit), and rarely use KB/M. You might too, if you played the game from your easy chair watching on your 55" TV-tough to use a KB in that situation, LOL. Back to point, I love the game, but feel ZOS short-changed us on a lot of interface issues.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • HydroCanuck
    HydroCanuck
    ✭✭

• HydroCanuck
    HydroCanuck
    ✭✭

Hey, news flash. XBox Live provides the chat support on XBox One, and is no less third party than TS or Vent on a PC.

• Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According the Road Ahead Article, they are adding Voice Chat to the consoles, makes sense as those devices won't be using a keyboard. Does this mean Voice Chat is going to be doable on the PC platform?

I'm glad to hear they're adding it to the console version. I play the game with a controller myself, and chat is the only thing I really have to use a keyboard for. A well-done voice chat system and slightly improved base UI are really all you need to make ESO perfectly viable on a console. When/if the day comes, I might consider going to the PS4 version myself.

And I agree that it would be nice to have on the PC version too. The third-party stuff is a PITA compared to a good integrated voice-chat system. It's something you don't even have to think about on consoles.
    Edited by Pallmor on December 4, 2014 7:38PM
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'd rather have them worry about server space for the game and not using more of it for voice chat. The consoles already have that service built in and PC wise, Teamspeak and Vent work great, probably better than an in game chat. It's just a waste of resources at this point IMO.
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Samadhi
    Samadhi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if the console version will ever do well enough to justify the undertaking involved in changing the game to make it work on console.
    "If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." -- the 14th Dalai Lama
    Wisdom is doing Now that which benefits you later.
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭

Hey, news flash. XBox Live provides the chat support on XBox One, and is no less third party than TS or Vent on a PC.

Why are you always so angry, bruh? You must be a south pole elf... But anyway, I think that an integrated system would be very nice. Even if it was just for when in groups (as in, you can only hear other people when you group with them) it would be amazing. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to understand a thing because of all the people talking at once. Yes, it would use up server resources but VoIP is not a very resource intensive system and uses very little bandwidth. I feel like they could easily implement this and it wouldn't effect anyone's gameplay at all, unless you just have god awful internet speeds.
  • lestaudenmaierub17_ESO
    LOTRO used an in-game voice chat and it made grouping so much easier. Contrary to what some would have you believe, not everyone has TS, or Vent, or Mumble. Even more don't want to sign into a thousand different servers each time they group up.

In LOTRO it was very rare to not run a pug dungeon without voice. Even if people didn't want to talk, they could still listen. It really does help build relationships.
  • morvegil
    morvegil
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just use teamspeak. You seriously cant be this lazy.
    Lo'ke
    Nord Vampire
    Nightblade
    Shield+BOW

Daggerfall Covenant
    Bandit King
    Bridge Bandits Guild
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭
    morvegil wrote: »
    Just use teamspeak. You seriously cant be this lazy.

How is it laziness that we would like to make things simpler and faster? Why stick with something that's more of a nuisance? It's not lazy to increase efficiency.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Samadhi wrote: »
    Wonder if the console version will ever do well enough to justify the undertaking involved in changing the game to make it work on console.
    I think it has a chance. Skyrim had a huge playerbase on consoles and MMOs are still somewhat of a novelty there, I think people will want to at least try it out. Will they be willing to stay and pay the sub? It's anybody's guess.
  • HydroCanuck
    HydroCanuck
    ✭✭

Why are you always so angry, bruh? You must be a south pole elf... But anyway, I think that an integrated system would be very nice. Even if it was just for when in groups (as in, you can only hear other people when you group with them) it would be amazing. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to understand a thing because of all the people talking at once. Yes, it would use up server resources but VoIP is not a very resource intensive system and uses very little bandwidth. I feel like they could easily implement this and it wouldn't effect anyone's gameplay at all, unless you just have god awful internet speeds.

I'm not angry at all, just realistic. They are obviously not going waste a lot of time and resources, to implement something that a free 3rd party tool already does, and does it very well. Especially since that, even in games that have integrated voice, TS and Vent are still the preferred method of voice comms. Eve-Online has integrated voice chat. Ever use it? No, of course not.
  • diabeticDemon18
    diabeticDemon18
    ✭✭✭

I'm not angry at all, just realistic. They are obviously not going waste a lot of time and resources, to implement something that a free 3rd party tool already does, and does it very well. Especially since that, even in games that have integrated voice, TS and Vent are still the preferred method of voice comms. Eve-Online has integrated voice chat. Ever use it? No, of course not.

Maybe not angry, but you talk down on everyone like you're above them. This is a forum for a game, no one is better than anyone here
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So does that mean for $100/month ZoS could host enough mumble server bandwidth for 250,000 players?

• TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ZOS programmers simply have to add hooks to the PS4/XBone API and implement a GUI for the chat and player selection/muting as PSN and Live networks provide the server infrastructure for the chat already.
    It ties in with the friends system on the console networks also.
    I know that is a simplified explanation.

Remember on the console everything goes through the PSN or Live network
    before it is routed to the home server which has it's benefits and drawbacks.

Consoles are a little more sophisticated these days than we as the PC master
    race want to admit.

With multi-core processors and 8GB ram these days what is mostly given up
    is texture resolution and maybe at extremes frame rate.

• Sylvyr
    Sylvyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So.... how are the console players going to talk to the PC players?
    Badge: Wall-of-Text GRANDMASTER

PvP: Patch Vs. Player

ZoSence (n.):
    1) What is reasonable or comprehensive using ZoS logic. "That makes ZoSense"
    2) Making zero sense. "That makes ZoSense"
  • HydroCanuck
    HydroCanuck
    ✭✭
    Sylvyr wrote: »
    So.... how are the console players going to talk to the PC players?

They aren't. ....
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They won't, because they will be on different servers and will not be playing each other.
  • Mumyo
    Mumyo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard the release date was actually long time ago xD