The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

So exactly how is damage for spell/effect "X" calculated?

ontheleftcoast
ontheleftcoast
✭✭✭✭✭
Yesterday, while grinding zombies at the Vile Laboratory in Coldharbour, I was told that my "spell" damage from Impulse is actually weapon damage and stacking spell buffs was a waste of time and resources. Yeah, because lifting my Destruction staff in the area and casting a spell from it is *obviously* weapon damage... Oh well, live (or die) and learn.

So is there someplace that gives a clear set of "Damage from <skill/effect X> comes from <Y> with formula <Z>"?

And, yes, I get there are addons that tell you what damage you'll do once something is equipped but I don't want to play "20 Questions" with my enchants/buffs every time I change something just to figure out what combination is more effective.

Thanks for any help in advance and even the trollish comments. It shows you took the time to share.
Edited by ontheleftcoast on October 29, 2014 10:08PM
  • Resueht
    Resueht
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a good link for that. It's a bit out-dated for some skills (1.3.3 skills), but it still has what scales certain skills.

Edit: And yes, Impulse scales with weapon damage and max magica. Spell damage is for class skills and Mages Guild skills.
    Edited by Resueht on October 29, 2014 10:19PM
    If she doesn't know the pain of cliffracers, she's too young for you.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Desto Staff is a weapon that uses magicka. So it scales with Weapon Damage stat and Max Magicka. Get your max magicka as high as possible and weapon damage as high as possible to do best damage with Impulse.
  • guybrushtb16_ESO
    guybrushtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are absolutely right. The only reason we don't hear more about the game's stats system being so horribly broken is that most people out there don't even know enough about it to complain.
  • Pmarsico9
    Pmarsico9
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a big problem. Because I think from the developers standpoint, transparency isn't really an issue because they don't view the game as being metrical in a lot of ways, they think that there's sufficient difficulty that having solid scaling and strong class passives matter less than not standing in the bad. But at the same time, the reality is that the MMO crowd is almost always able to push a game down to the lowest common denominator to do things like minimize movement and simply stack CD's or healing to overcome mechanics that are supposed to be means of limiting DPS or HPS..........when they aren't.

There's many reasons for this, but the main offender in my mind is that tanking is so optional and AoE aggro doesn't exist. If one or two people are expected to have high passive damage reductions and health, it goes a long way to preventing things from being so thoroughly dominated by sheer metrics. And from applying subjective values to things like the Templar Restoring Light Tree that aren't essentially strong enough to necessitate keeping the class' DPS potential from being so putrid.

Nor is it a logical reason why heavy armor is so pathetic. They've tried to reinvent the wheel in a lot of ways and it hasn't worked. Only recently have instances come out where stack up and spam zerg isn't the best option. And it is still by far the most dominant PVP tactics.
  • evedgebah
    evedgebah
    ✭✭✭
    Weapon Tooltip = (max_stamina/magicka / 20 + wpn_dmg / 1.9) * skill_coef * rank_coef

Spell Tooltip = (max_magicka / 20 + spell_dmg) * skill_coef * rank_coef

Rank 1: 0%
    Rank 2: 1%
    Rank 3: 2%
    Rank 4: 3%
    Morph rank 1: 3% + 0% = 3‰
    Morph rank 2: 3% + 1% = 4%
    Morph rank 3: 3% + 2% = 5%
    Morph rank 4: 3% + 3% = 6%

Skill Coef varies by skill, experiment!
  • Paramanza
    Paramanza
    Soul Shriven
    Just as there's been so many changes since this was posted - can anyone give me the current version of the above formulas? Also why is weapon DMG divided by 1.9 but spell DMG isn't?