The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How do you weave in animation-cancelling attack?

Davadin
Davadin
✭✭✭✭✭
There's a lot of discussion within other threads, a lot on the Internet, people chatting about it in-game, etc... but to be honest, can someone clarify how exactly can we sneak in manual light/heavy between skill that so many people claim to cancel some animation to increase their DPS?

Thanks.
August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Light attack and throw in skill attack before light attack animation is finished.

Skill that takes some time to execute (like rapid strikes) start skill and push mouse left button down immediately after, release button for heavy attack before skill animation finished (eg rapid strikes before final double hit).

Takes some practice to succeed and make it constant so it will increase your dps.

EDIT:
    Example video of light attack
    http://youtu.be/xb0O9zjMDN4

Example of heavy attack
    http://youtu.be/KRqpyjJvdZI
    Edited by Syntse on October 27, 2014 1:23PM
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syntse wrote: »
    Light attack and throw in skill attack before light attack animation is finished.

Skill that takes some time to execute (like rapid strikes) start skill and push mouse left button down immediately after, release button for heavy attack before skill animation finished (eg rapid strikes before final double hit).

Takes some practice to succeed and make it constant so it will increase your dps.

THANK YOU!

God so hard just to find a quick concise answer like that lol
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still really wish it wasn't a thing though. Just feels cheap as hell and like I'm breaking the game.

Sadly that doesn't stop me from doing it when *** hits the fan though XD
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still really wish it wasn't a thing though. Just feels cheap as hell and like I'm breaking the game.

Agreed its cheap as hell. But while everyone else does it and the code allows it we are stuck with it.
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • bellanca6561n
    bellanca6561n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, to all objections, but it sure feels nifty when you get the rhythm of it down.
  • Voodoo
    Voodoo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rune_Relic wrote: »

Agreed its cheap as hell. But while everyone else does it and the code allows it we are stuck with it.

Not cheep at all in fact it actually adds a level of complication to what other wise would be a simple play style. If you dont like dont do it...it does take concentration and practice to get good at it ...and that has never happened before in any MMO I have played.

I am glad zos didnt plan for this but decided its not a big enough deal to try and fix ,,,it adds a extra layer to other wise simple button smashing.

I think every MMO should add this style of timing for those of us able to practice it.
    Edited by Voodoo on October 27, 2014 5:50PM
  • Khivas_Carrick
    Khivas_Carrick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ten bucks says that they're "Working on a fix" for it but won't tell us until after they implement it.
    Bobbity Boop, this game might become poop, but I'll still play because I'm just a pile of goop!
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with anyone lol... I feel like it's "cheap" to use, but at the same time, enjoys the extra "challenge".

Almost feels like feeling guilty for getting napster to work on dial-up connection, but knowing you just saved $20 by downloading a CD for the last 12 hours, feels awesome.
  • NotSo
    NotSo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nifty sure, but I wish it didn't feel like I was taking advantage of something that just isn't a clean way of playing. i.e. new players have no idea what I'm hitting them with and I cut through them like an exacto knife vs microwaved processed cheese.

If this is an intended mechanic, the graphics should better represent what I am doing and there should be a combat tutorial explaining how it is performed.
    Gar'Sol the Wanderer VR14 Khajiit Sorcerer Spellblade
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having trouble clipping with the new animations in this patch.....
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »
    I'm having trouble clipping with the new animations in this patch.....

Interesting....look forward to trying the new update.
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • killedbyping
    killedbyping
    ✭✭✭✭
    Syntse wrote: »

EDIT:
    Example video of light attack
    http://youtu.be/xb0O9zjMDN4

Example of heavy attack
    http://youtu.be/KRqpyjJvdZI

That sound more like exploit abusing to me.
    You are not supposed to be able to charge heavy attack while casting a skill -.-
  • Father
    Father
    ✭✭✭
    I love animation canceling.There are many combos u can try, class or weapon skills.
    1.5 update brought new options, so far having great time with melee :)
    Edited by Father on November 5, 2014 3:22PM
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Father wrote: »
    I love animation canceling.There are many combos u can try, class or weapon skills.
    How are you doing it with 2h?

I did long skill + light, but people are saying different ways of doing it. Also note that Executioner pretty much cancels any animation...
  • Dublicious
    Dublicious
    ✭✭✭
    Voodoo wrote: »

Not cheep at all in fact it actually adds a level of complication to what other wise would be a simple play style. If you dont like dont do it...it does take concentration and practice to get good at it ...and that has never happened before in any MMO I have played.

I am glad zos didnt plan for this but decided its not a big enough deal to try and fix ,,,it adds a extra layer to other wise simple button smashing.

I think every MMO should add this style of timing for those of us able to practice it.

Except that it's just that. Simple button mashing that's a little slower than "fast as you can". There's a reason "dumb DPS" is a term people use. Cause it's this. It would be more useful if something other than an exploit was a good way to get single-target DPS from a sorc.
    Edited by Dublicious on November 5, 2014 3:54PM
    ESO Username: @Dublicious
    Title: Splitter of Hairs

ESO Characters:

Claricea Starlinor Vet 14Sorcerer DPS -- Woodworker/Blacksmith/Clothier -- Provisioner
    Liquado Starlinor Vet 4 DK Tank, alchemist
    Some low level Templar and NB...
  • mmsiebreeze
    mmsiebreeze
    Soul Shriven
    Voodoo wrote: »

Yea, its like pulling off combos in mortal kombat....you have to cut moves short in order to keep a rythme going..they even use it in ranked tournaments...same basic principle just applied in a different method
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »
    Father wrote: »
    How are you doing it with 2h?

I did long skill + light, but people are saying different ways of doing it. Also note that Executioner pretty much cancels any animation...

I animation-cancel (weaving, it is also called) with Heavy Attacks. It is simpler to execute because Heavy Attacks are cancelled by skills and have longer input time. For a Two-Handed example, hold down LMB for a Heavy Attack; while the Heavy Attack is winding up, activate Uppercut; keep LMB held down the entire time and activate Uppercut during windup to continue weaving. It is admittedly simple, but is a perfect example because of it. Tougher weaves involve multiple attacks, at which point I start calling them "combos."
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    this game has somekind of animation overwriting depending on action used wich you can use to squeze the maximum amount of actions within a given timeframe(~0.8sec) - wich if they are dmging is increasing your dps.

this "rotation" is (abilities on the left side are overwritten by actions further right)

light attack/heavy attack <- Ulti <- ability <- block <- bash/roll

so if you are a keyboard virtuose (or abusing hardware macros) under perfect server situations you can squeze into one animation cycle (roughly 0.8sec)
    (my NB as an example) 1light attack, 1[ulti] soul harvest, 1[ability] surprise attack, 2x bash (thx to its reduced animation time in 1.6) [if you have a casted action ambush e.g. you can cast it beforehand wich adds another attack into the same time frame]

you can aswell by doing so force abilities with a delayed aplication even though they are "instant" to be applied immidiatly as alot of effects are upon animation end or somewhere inbetween all shields e.g. dawnbreaker (wich has a ninsane langthy animation) or the most hated templar instant heal with its awefull 0.6sec application delay...
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ten bucks says that they're "Working on a fix" for it but won't tell us until after they implement it.
    Actually, ZOS said officially they ENCOURAGE this, it was stated in a 'live' early this year.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brilliant posts.

Thank you.
  • Caesar Tantalia
    Caesar Tantalia
    ✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    Actually, ZOS said officially they ENCOURAGE this, it was stated in a 'live' early this year.

This ^ ZOS explicitly stated it's an unintended but accepted part of the game mechanics.

My opinion - it does ad another layer to the game. Execution of skills/abilities is therefore not a cooldown/queue type of action. Timing is essential and gives a more "action" type of feeling.

I personally weave heavy between every action so for my dps, it's e.g. velocious curse / liquid lighting / weave / force / weave / force and repait - when crystal frags crits - that one gets fired asap

• Most_Awesome
    Most_Awesome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOZ Stated it was UNINTENDED

But due to how they made the game there is nothing they can do, they even got rid of all the speed buffs to help the animation cancelling abuse.

I would put money on it that if they could get rid of it they would, the only people who defend this complete rubbish game exploit are macro users.

Here is an example of how crap this is Hardend Ward>Block>Harness Magica>Block>Healing Ward>Block = Full Hardend Ward animation.

Yes that's right 3 shields up in the time it takes a normal player to get 1.5 off, easy using a Razer Naga mouse, even easier if it was put in as a macro. Such leet skills
  • Caesar Tantalia
    Caesar Tantalia
    ✭✭✭
    ZOZ Stated it was UNINTENDED

But due to how they made the game there is nothing they can do, they even got rid of all the speed buffs to help the animation cancelling abuse.

I would put money on it that if they could get rid of it they would, the only people who defend this complete rubbish game exploit are macro users.

Here is an example of how crap this is Hardend Ward>Block>Harness Magica>Block>Healing Ward>Block = Full Hardend Ward animation.

Yes that's right 3 shields up in the time it takes a normal player to get 1.5 off, easy using a Razer Naga mouse, even easier if it was put in as a macro. Such leet skills

I don't use macros and never will. Moreover, contrary to ZOS' statement on weaving (OK), they explicitly said Macros are NOT ok (nearly undetectable but not OK).

• Tyraelx
    Tyraelx
    Can only sorcerers do this or can all classes achieve it as well? I only ask, cause I've only seen sorcerers do it in videos.
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    I do it all the time with my DK on xbox.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tyraelx wrote: »
    Can only sorcerers do this or can all classes achieve it as well? I only ask, cause I've only seen sorcerers do it in videos.

I learnt it with my destro staff NB. I started with H. attack + Impale or L. Attack + Conc. Weapon. It is a good start.
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • chevalierknight
    chevalierknight
    ✭✭✭
    Light attack and abilty i use conceled weapon then roll its powerfull
  • kaorunandrak
    kaorunandrak
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually curious what is the optimal way of weaving Wrecking blow? I normally just do light attack-wrecking blow weave stopping only to buff/debuff, ultimate, or defend. But I have heard of the medium weave, which I have tried and it doesnt seem to be as good or I am doing it wrong and have also heard of clipping Wrecking blow animation short. Any one know anything about this?
    Guild Leader of The Crimson Moon PVE/PVP NA
    Join CM! http://thecrimsonmoon.enjin.com/page/724665/recruitment?gid=72859-0

Kaoru Nandrak - V16 DK Stamina DPS 2h/Heavy
    Jaoul Deathbringer - V16 NB Stamina DPS DW/Medium
    Zantare Deshuld - V16 NB Magicka Sap Tank S&B/Heavy
    Jarl Nan'Drak - Sorc Magika DPS 2h/Light
    Vilder Ymirson- Temp Magika DPS DW/Light
    Graywulf Odakai- DK Magika Tank S&B/Heavy