The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Is anyone buying from the npc merchants?

spoqster
spoqster
✭✭✭✭✭
Is anyone out there buying from the npc merchants? I don't mean the ones selling fancy sets in Cyrodil, I mean all those characters in all the leveling zones. ZOS has done a great job at creating them and filling them with life. But they sell overpriced goods like arms which don't even have a trait.
Edited by spoqster on September 4, 2014 3:12PM

Is anyone buying from the npc merchants? 298 votes

Yes - I frequently buy goods or gear at those merchants
16%
Attorneyatlawlk9mousekevlarto_ESOmilesrodneymcneely2_ESOKevinmonLordballak69ReymasDominoidtraigusb14_ESO2AleriSadasIndorilKhajitFurTraderTankqullFlinkeKlingeYusufElsterchenloebedauwb16_ESOOolouJD2013Kayiragranty2008cyb16_ESO 50 votes
Meh - I've done this at least once or twice
43%
NestorGrunimSrugzalAzoryljambam817_ESOcromica81_ESOryanmjmcevoy_ESOGalenSweetroll-Banditwafant412b14a_ESOSlelisArmitasPsychobunniRatatouilleMercyKillingLadyNerevarRDMyers65b14_ESORudyardLeijonaResueht 131 votes
No - I've never purchased anything from them and I just ignore them
39%
UdyrfrykteSirAndyPolskiBunny_ESOQuietasPEZClansman2013ElventWaltz[Deleted User]TeargrantsWicked_Wolfdgoss11b14_ESODiviniusers101284b14_ESOLonePirateSareniaOrangeTheCatTalrenosArmigedonndFocus 117 votes
  • mar1ano1987nrb18_ESO
    Sorry I tough you were speaking of the guild traders .
    Npc traders in all the major cities? no I dont buy from them except for provisioning materials and ...empty soul gems
    Edited by mar1ano1987nrb18_ESO on September 4, 2014 7:38PM

Stukha - Dragon Knight - Ebonheart Pact
    Bazhinga - Nightblade - Ebonheart Pact
    /
  • spoqster
    spoqster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only bought things when I find what Im looking for. The problem is that most guild vendors only sell trash :P

and expensive trash in most cases.
    Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I don't mean the guild vendors, I mean the npc merchants that were there from the start of the game. Those guys that fill up any village.
  • Super_Sonico
    Super_Sonico
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've only bought from the unmarked food vendor in Coldharbour for the food mats you need for VR5 foods, and from the enchanter to get placeholder enchantments when I couldn't find master enchanters around to make better.

I did buy soul gems very early on in the game when I wasn't farming them or finding them enough in chests. But that was only once or twice.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never buy from them, but I sell anything I don't want to deconstruct to them. I have no interest in trading guilds or spamming chat so they're my only source of spare cash, which is mainly used for upgrading my horse plus the odd repair of set gear that I don't want to replace.
  • Drazhar14
    Drazhar14
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I don't ignore them. They buy all the junk I take from dead monsters :)
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Because good aspect runes are in short supply, I'll often buy white gliphs for my alt characters when ever I upgrade their armor. Honestly, they're lucky to get green quality stuff as it is. I will buy training trait gear from the fighter's guild, cheapest one, for research, which I save for last. Weapons and armor pretty much rain from the sky though. There never seems to be a reason to shop at an NPC vender for them.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are 3 things I buy from merchants, two on a regular basis, one has been put on hold for a while (Provisioning supplies)

I buy empty Soul Gems (not common loot in the leveling zones)

Glyphs. I would not buy Glyphs if I could get enough Aspect Stones, but let's see what the Enchanting changes do.

I have bought food ingredients from Grocers, they have the more common things like Broth and Suet that are used in lots of recipes. I used these to use up excess ingredients.

Other than that, not a thing. Well, I did buy a couple of repair kits early on, only to never use them. I did not realize they only fix one item. I did buy one of those Obscure Armor containers just to see what it would have.

Otherwise, I just sell my trash to the game merchants.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• leandro.800ub17_ESO
    leandro.800ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have bought:
    -Items with traits that i could not find it (this was 3 months ago when guilds didn't have much)
    -Food mats from Grocers
    White Glyphs up to level VR1 then i leveld enchanting
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a few repair kits, back in the beginning, but have not seen a need since then. I also bought a "mystery weapon" package from a blacksmith once because I just wanted to know what it was. Now I know, and no reason to ever do that again.
    I just sell to them. They willingly buy all the crap I find, lol.
  • WebBull
    WebBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The fancy sets in Cyrodiil aren't fancy enough and really need a revamp. There should also be tiered items based on your PvP level that are stronger.
  • morvegil
    morvegil
    ✭✭✭✭
    i bought a set of the covenant armour
    Lo'ke
    Nord Vampire
    Nightblade
    Shield+BOW

Daggerfall Covenant
    Bandit King
    Bridge Bandits Guild
  • ryanmjmcevoy_ESO
    ryanmjmcevoy_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I buy the white armor glyphs only, and will continue to do so until I can craft the glyphs myself. I'm waiting for the 1.4 enchanting fix to go live, just stocking up on runes/glyphs now.

After that...I don't see any need to buy their overpriced good that I can either craft myself or have someone else craft for me.
  • ers101284b14_ESO
    ers101284b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I use kiosks all the time though
  • Potenza
    Potenza
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted originally thinking you meant buying from the Guild NPC's.
    I do buy from merchant NPC's. Empty soul gems and enchantment glyphs mostly - I just started another character with provisioning and I imagine that I will be buying mats for recipes.
    I know off topic but the Guild Kiosk's are a joke really. People for some crazy reason think they will get double for there stuff just because its in a kiosk - Not.
    Edited by Potenza on September 5, 2014 5:25PM
  • seanolan
    seanolan
    ✭✭✭✭
    At late levels, you have no choice but to use them if you are a provisioner. The v5 medium materials do not drop or spawn in crates or barrels. And I have on occassion bought grand soul gems from the mystic shop or a rune from the enchanter.
    Edited by seanolan on September 4, 2014 5:26PM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a single item ever in over a year of playing this game.

I never had the need for anything they sell, i only sell stuff to them or repair gear.
    ;-)
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I voted no, but I just realised I bought style stones for my first armor months ago. So... once or twice? And I will have to use them for Provisioning eventually. I ignored that part because I had a metric ton of mats for level 50 recipes, so I just sold that and didn't bother with VR5 that my chars hadn't even reached yet,
  • Tatuaje
    Tatuaje
    ✭✭
    I do now and again when I need to decon and get blue crafting mats.
  • rrood41828
    rrood41828
    ✭✭✭
    Empty soul gems and consumables (because finding recipes and ingredients is too much of a hassle) and that's it.
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought a Blue shield once in Malaba Tor
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • Anvos
    Anvos
    ✭✭✭
    Well there are armor repairs and the starter zone guilds sell cheap items to use for trait research. Also bought a bunch of enchanting runes when I needed vet 10-12 potency. Of course there as been the occasional empty gem run or grocer for high end mats.

Though I do a lot of selling to them.
    Edited by Anvos on September 4, 2014 7:38PM
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    seanolan wrote: »
    At late levels, you have no choice but to use them if you are a provisioner. The v5 medium materials do not drop or spawn in crates or barrels. And I have on occassion bought grand soul gems from the mystic shop or a rune from the enchanter.

I wasn't counting grocers myself. I thought the whole point was the armour/weapon sellers, who are now completely useless.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • kimboh
    kimboh
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only on my first play through, took ages to get a helm drop so I had to buy one, once I maxed all crafts I no longer had any need for vendor gear.
    Still buy empty soul gems, provisioning ingredients and some white glyphs for alt gear while levelling.
    <l Cygnus X|VR14|Sorc l>
    <| Romulus Prime|VR12|Temp |>
    <| Qwoptus |lvl30|DK|>
    <| DC|EU |>
  • traigusb14_ESO2
    traigusb14_ESO2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy empty soul gems all the time and fill them for cash profits... the 2 for 1 fill soul gem morph is easy.. and some people are either stupid or soooo lazy. A couple of mins on a mudcrab beach and $$$.

I have bought armor on my 2 alts. Sometimes the RNG leaves gaps. If my shirt is a bunch of levels low I'll buy one. Too lazy to craft for a level 33 alt... yesterday I had a bag full of pants and hadn't gotten a medium shirt for 9 levels. A belt I'd let slide, but not a shirt.

I use white vendor enchants while leveling.

I think I bought a weapon 1 time on my main when I was like 22. I wanted an axe, and kept getting dropped swords and maces.

Edited by traigusb14_ESO2 on September 4, 2014 7:48PM
  • Oldtimer209
    Oldtimer209
    ✭✭✭
    Other than Soul Shards and a few other small items... Never. The vendor armor& weapons are priced much too high.
  • Moonscythe
    Moonscythe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have only bought some soul gems when I wasn't finding them. The gear is too expensive. I do sell to them though.
    Scura di Notte - Altmer Nightblade (gear)
    Lalin del Sombra - Bosmer Sorcerer (alchemy/enchanting)
    Angevin Sarkany - Bosmer Dragonknight
    Alkemene Velothi - Dunmer Warden (Morrowind)
    Sanna yos'Phalen - Altmer Sorcerer (provisioning)
    Cosima di Mattina -Altmer Sorcerer
    Naria Andrano - Dunmer Templar
    Luca della Serata - Redguard Templar
  • nerevarine1138
    nerevarine1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use them for my actual gear, but I have used them a fair amount, especially when leveling. I actually find I use vendors in this game much more often than in other MMOs, where vendors are pretty much window dressing.
    ----
    Murray?
  • Sarenia
    Sarenia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did in beta, but haven't since, as I have a fleet of crafters and horded resources for the moment.

I typically don't ever buy from NPCs in games unless it's necessary. I like to spread my money around to real people, or (even better), keep it to myself and horde it like a greedy dragoness. <3
    [beta_group_85b_9]
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have problems finding anything worthwhile and not overpriced to buy.

Edit:

I seem to have the same problems with the guild vendors.
    Edited by MercyKilling on September 4, 2014 9:39PM
    I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • Psychobunni
    Psychobunni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I buy repairs, grocery items, a couple enchants here and there....bout it
    If options weren't necessary, and everyone played the same way, no one would use addons. Fix the UI!