The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The maintenance is complete, and the PTS is now back online and patch 10.0.1 is available.

1.4.0 Bow Changes, You're doin it wrong, ZoS.

• LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kypho wrote: »
    eliisra wrote: »
    They should buff 2-Hander and heavy if anything.

Instead they feel the need to buff Snipe, current fotm skill in Cyrodiil. With the 1.3.3 patch it officially reached the same level of lameness as Impulse/Batswarm/Soul Assault in PvP. Like it didn't kill enough people in 1 second already. Now it needs a buff apparently. Sometimes ZoS makes me very confused.

Heavy is fine. 2h and DW need attention more.
    And seems ZoS likes the BS craps, and *** on ballancing the game. All what you mentioned was always a problem and seem it will be. And those are not all what is BS
    Heavy is definitely much improved, however I think the magicka/stamina restoration from taking damage needs tweaked a bit. Either make it a bigger bonus or allow it to proc maybe once every 1 or 1.5 seconds. Right now it's basically just like additional in combat regeneration. The first heavy armor passive should also be changed from added armor/spell resist to flat damage reduction, similar to the change they made for the more passive.
    NerdSauce Gaming
    Laughs-At-Wounds - Sap tanking since 03/30/14
    ßrandalf - Light armor tanking since 03/03/15
    Brandalf Beer-Belly - Tanking drunk since 12/30/16

• Code2501
    Code2501
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ghenra wrote: »
    They are crazy and stupids, each patch they are boosting the *** AoE's and the *** ranged damage, I play a melee DK with Heavy Armor and is the most stupid thing that you can do, all the classes win me, Templar for bitting jabs + uberOP sun shield, Soccerer for the *** AoE and bat swarm, NB sniper shot and piercing arrow and Magicka DK's for AoE spam and healing, nice balance ZOS, definetly your staff is worst ever.

If your trying to make a point, your undermining it by randomly attributing a weapon skill to a class (NB Sniper shot). There is nothing special about NB's that magically make snipe way beyond better. ALL classes can use Snipe, They can ALL use it as a sneak attack.
    A little more accuracy and less hyperbole makes for a much more constructive post.
    Edited by Code2501 on August 21, 2014 9:04AM
  • Jaxom
    Jaxom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kego wrote: »
    Jaxom wrote: »
    If I snipe you from stealth, 9 times out of 10, you will die. You can have 3 friends with you, but before I die from them, you will be dead too. It's extremely powerful. My snipe hits for 1500+ on average from stealth and even cracked a few 2k hits last night (I'm guessing they didnt have inpen on).
    So Snipe gets any better with high VR?
    I am only low VR but I put Snipe away in PvE cause it does not more DMG than a Heavy Attack + Venom Arrow combo out of hidden.
    Snipe hits for ~1.000 DMG and Heavy Attack for ~750 DMG followed by instant ~200DMG Venom Arrow. There for I see Lethal Arrow as only useful Morph for Snipe, cause the Heal Debuff can give you the time to kill your Opponent in PvP, after the first Snipe hit. And ofc. the higher range in sieges.

As Brandalf said, if you spec for weapon damage, it's an extremely powerful opener. I easily average 1500 snipe on an opener (you need to combine it with Mark Target as it tends to add a few hundred damage). The Healing debuff is great if they dont have purge. Of course, this is from a PvP perspective as that is what I primarily do. From a PvE perspective, It's useful for everything except for Trials. In Trials, it's not worth the slot in my opinion and these changes won't change my opinion on it.

To address Kypho's comment, you would be surprised how little people use shields when they are in a large group. I suppose the feeling of having a lot of friendlies around you gives a false sense of security. I find that in small scale battles, shields play a bigger role though that is what my secondary bar is for ;). I wouldn't say I just kill "noobs" as you put it since many of the people are highly respected and known on the server. I'm also very patient and if I see a Sorc with 3 shields stacked on him, well, I'm not going to snipe you. I'll wait until you get comfortable and the second I see that shield drop, so will you. I pull it off all the time. You can't just blindly go sniping anyone you see and expect to win. There is some strategy and timing involved which will yield the best results, "noobs" and "leets" a like.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 hander would be a lot better if Arcane Fighter was actually working. Right now the main reason to use 2 hander does not work.

Dual Wield is actually fairly good for PvP, however its main problem in PvE is all the bleed immune mobs.

Both Lines need to have their specific weapon passives buffed, for example.. 2handed Mace ignoring 80 armor... vs 2 handed swords 5% bonus damage.

• Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Code2501 wrote: »
    They are crazy and stupids, each patch they are boosting the *** AoE's and the *** ranged damage, I play a melee DK with Heavy Armor and is the most stupid thing that you can do, all the classes win me, Templar for bitting jabs + uberOP sun shield, Soccerer for the *** AoE and bat swarm, NB sniper shot and piercing arrow and Magicka DK's for AoE spam and healing, nice balance ZOS, definetly your staff is worst ever.

If your trying to make a point, your undermining it by randomly attributing a weapon skill to a class (NB Sniper shot). There is nothing special about NB's that magically make snipe way beyond better. ALL classes can use Snipe, They can ALL use it as a sneak attack.
    A little more accuracy and less hyperbole makes for a much more constructive post.

Hrm, NB has Mark Target, 10% higher weapon damage from stealth, and 10% higher crit damage bonus.

I wouldn't say these make a stealthed Snipe "way beyond better", but it certainly makes a NB's stealthed Snipe hit harder than other classes by a few hundred damage.
  • LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varicite wrote: »

Hrm, NB has Mark Target, 10% higher weapon damage from stealth, and 10% higher crit damage bonus.

I wouldn't say these make a stealthed Snipe "way beyond better", but it certainly makes a NB's stealthed Snipe hit harder than other classes by a few hundred damage.

The actual difference from the higher crit damage bonus even at 10% isn't a massive advantage. If the ability hits for 1000 damage normally and from stealth hits for 1500 damage then that 10% extra crit damage bonus is adding a whopping 50 extra damage on attacks from stealth. Mark target depends on the target of course, on light armored enemies(most people in Cyrodiil) it's going to provide much less of a boost to damage than if you target a heavily armored enemy.

Edited by LtCrunch on August 21, 2014 3:05PM
    NerdSauce Gaming

• Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandalf wrote: »

The actual difference from the higher crit damage bonus even at 10% isn't a massive advantage. If the ability hits for 1000 damage normally and from stealth hits for 1500 damage then that 10% extra crit damage bonus is adding a whopping 50 extra damage on attacks from stealth. Mark target depends on the target of course, on light armored enemies(most people in Cyrodiil) it's going to provide much less of a boost to damage than if you target a heavily armored enemy.

While this is all true, it all adds up to a few hundred extra damage against choice targets.

I never said the difference was significant, but it does make NB stealthed Snipe marginally better than any other class'.

PS) I'm not the one here complaining about NBs or even the bow changes, I was merely pointing out a fallacy. : P
    Edited by Varicite on August 21, 2014 3:28PM
  • LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While this is all true, it all adds up to a few hundred extra damage against choice targets.

I never said the difference was significant, but it does make NB stealthed Snipe marginally better than any other class'.

PS) I'm not the one here complaining about NBs or even the bow changes, I was merely pointing out a fallacy. : P

Fair enough.

NerdSauce Gaming

• Nala_
    Nala_
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soccerer for the *** AoE and bat swarm

you r smurt
  • Selodaoc
    Selodaoc
    ✭✭✭
    Problem for me with bow is that there arent any spam skill available.
    Venom arrow doesnt do the amount of dmg as the other spam skills.

Neither can you weave bow or stamina weapons.

Remove the two crappy AoEs and make bow a ST weapon.

Make one spam skill that does something like increases dmg as long as you focus one target,l ike the sets.

The other one can put a crit buff to groupmembers hitting debuffed target.
  • demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selodaoc wrote: »

Make one spam skill that does something like increases dmg as long as you focus one target,l ike the sets.

There don't need to be any skills destined to be spammed in the game period. Light and heavy attacks should be the most spammed, while there is a reason to use more than one skill but not in rapid successions.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There don't need to be any skills destined to be spammed in the game period. Light and heavy attacks should be the most spammed, while there is a reason to use more than one skill but not in rapid successions.

What the heck are you talking about?

Every single weapon in the game that is viable for DPS is used in conjunction w/ abilities that are spammed through weaving.

The only real candidate that bows have is Poison Arrow, which is pitiful damage. Most are best off using Silver Shards instead.

The reason to use more than one skill in rapid succession is to not be completely terrible DPS, which bows are currently. Hence, fixes like the one being discussed.

But you can go ahead and keep spamming light and heavy attacks alone if that floats your boat. We'll see how far that gets you in Trials. < . <
  • LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Every single weapon in the game that is viable for DPS is used in conjunction w/ abilities that are spammed through weaving.

The only real candidate that bows have is Poison Arrow, which is pitiful damage. Most are best off using Silver Shards instead.

The reason to use more than one skill in rapid succession is to not be completely terrible DPS, which bows are currently. Hence, fixes like the one being discussed.

But you can go ahead and keep spamming light and heavy attacks alone if that floats your boat. We'll see how far that gets you in Trials. < . <

I don't think you are using the word viable properly. Viable and optimal are very different things and outside of trials most things are viable as DPS.

NerdSauce Gaming

• Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think you are using the word viable properly. Viable and optimal are very different things and outside of trials most things are viable as DPS.

Outside of Trials, nobody cares what your DPS is...
  • LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're able to kill enemies more often than they can kill you, that means your build is viable. Period. End of story. Right now stam builds are all about bursting and lack sustain, that is the core issue with stam vs magicka DPS right now. Skills like equilibrium should not even exist in a game build around having to manage your resources, IMO.

Edited by LtCrunch on August 21, 2014 11:10PM
    NerdSauce Gaming

• Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're able to kill enemies more often than they can kill you, that means your build is viable. Period. End of story. Right now stam builds are all about bursting and lack sustain, that is the core issue with stam vs magicka DPS right now. Skills like equilibrium should not even exist in a game build around having to manage your resources, IMO.

That means your build is viable for messing around, sure. But you've taken my statements FAR out of context here.

If somebody is talking about DPS at all, they are most likely talking about Trials DPS, as it simply doesn't matter anywhere else. To take that a step further, nobody cares about your DPS in a casual group, either.

Players who care about max DPS are generally in situations where they are trying to push leaderboard times for Trials, or are at least aiming to be in that upper echelon.

In that context, viability is not the same as just "can I kill mobs w/out dying".
  • LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That means your build is viable for messing around, sure. But you've taken my statements FAR out of context here.

If somebody is talking about DPS at all, they are most likely talking about Trials DPS, as it simply doesn't matter anywhere else. To take that a step further, nobody cares about your DPS in a casual group, either.

Players who care about max DPS are generally in situations where they are trying to push leaderboard times for Trials, or are at least aiming to be in that upper echelon.

In that context, viability is not the same as just "can I kill mobs w/out dying".

maximum possible DPS = optimal, not viable in my book. But I won't argue with you about semantics.

NerdSauce Gaming

• Thejollygreenone
    Thejollygreenone
    ✭✭✭

maximum possible DPS = optimal, not viable in my book. But I won't argue with you about semantics.

But you also have to take a look at the context, for competitive trial groups optimal and viable are virtually one and the same.
  • Antirob
    Antirob
    ✭✭✭
    The acid spray isnt meant for dps really. At most its a dot and a healing reduction which are great in pvp
    Vehemence
    Antirob - Dragonknight
  • Thejollygreenone
    Thejollygreenone
    ✭✭✭
    Antirob wrote: »
    The acid spray isnt meant for dps really. At most its a dot and a healing reduction which are great in pvp

There's no healing reduction affiliated with acid spray, don't know where you're getting that from.

If you are assuming the poison proc status effect has a healing reduction, you're mistaken. That would be disease proc status effect. Lethal arrow (morph of snipe, totally different) just happens to be an ability that has a healing debuff attached to it.

I know that has confused people I've talked to in the past, so I understand if this was your understanding of the situation. ZoS isn't very informative when it comes to the finer details of the game such as what status effects do what.

As to the other part of your at-most theory, a DoT means increased damage, correct? Increased damage is for dps, correct?

My understanding of the choice between morphs of arrow spray is that you have bombard to increase the potency of the abilities cc, or acid spray which instead adds extra damage in the form of a DoT, which screams that it's the dps choice. The problem with the morph imo is that the DoT is pretty weak.

However maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, in which case I apologize. Care to elaborate?
    Edited by Thejollygreenone on August 22, 2014 4:46AM
  • sagitter
    sagitter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I snipe you from stealth, 9 times out of 10, you will die. You can have 3 friends with you, but before I die from them, you will be dead too. It's extremely powerful. My snipe hits for 1500+ on average from stealth and even cracked a few 2k hits last night (I'm guessing they didnt have inpen on).

Also, before my snipe actually hits you, I will have marked you and hit you with a venom arrow and a light attack as well. This is all from someone who does not macro in any way shape or form.

Reducing the cast time won't really change anything nor will the 20% cost reduction. More times than not, if you are singled out, you will be dead before my stamina bar hits 75%. I think the uproar on Snipe isn't as bad as you think. For how it's used primarily, this won't change anything.

The cost reduction will just let me cast multiple snipes in a row while defending from a keep tower but if I hit you 3 times in a row with a snipe, you should probably pay more attention (you would be surprised how often I can do this in large battles)

It depends, maybe you find noobs players. Average health bar on cyr now is around 3k. It happens often to me: vs dk, almost killed him 10% life, he use istant g blood + potion and almost full life, than spam reflective untill melee distance and i m dead. Vs sorc, if i m not quick he bolt escapes away. Vs templar is hard, cause of blazing shield spam. Vs nighblade works better if you are a nb too using mark.
  • Jaxom
    Jaxom
    ✭✭✭✭
    sagitter wrote: »

Also, before my snipe actually hits you, I will have marked you and hit you with a venom arrow and a light attack as well. This is all from someone who does not macro in any way shape or form.

Reducing the cast time won't really change anything nor will the 20% cost reduction. More times than not, if you are singled out, you will be dead before my stamina bar hits 75%. I think the uproar on Snipe isn't as bad as you think. For how it's used primarily, this won't change anything.

The cost reduction will just let me cast multiple snipes in a row while defending from a keep tower but if I hit you 3 times in a row with a snipe, you should probably pay more attention (you would be surprised how often I can do this in large battles)

It depends, maybe you find noobs players. Average health bar on cyr now is around 3k. It happens often to me: vs dk, almost killed him 10% life, he use istant g blood + potion and almost full life, than spam reflective untill melee distance and i m dead. Vs sorc, if i m not quick he bolt escapes away. Vs templar is hard, cause of blazing shield spam. Vs nighblade works better if you are a nb too using mark.

Please see my previous comment in this thread about "noobs." You aren't the first person to respond this way and it's surprising that this is the default response. There is timing involved and knowing when to engage. I'm sure some are inexperienced PvP-er's, however, there are counters to the one trick pony's you are mentioning above, and fighting people who do the above will only make you better. I digress.

The point of my comment was that, with the changes to Snipe (which many people are up in arms about), I don't feel it will have any effect at all. As I put it in my original statement:

"Reducing the cast time won't really change anything nor will the 20% cost reduction. More times than not, if you are singled out, you will be dead before my stamina bar hits 75%. I think the uproar on Snipe isn't as bad as you think. For how it's used primarily, this won't change anything."

Whether you die or not is irrelevant to the conversation as well as if the player is a "noob" or a veteran, the changes mean nothing. I either kill you with 75% stamina left, or I die with 50% stamina left. The fight's are so quick with this style of play, nothing will change in the grand scheme of things with these Snipe changes. Stop picking out a random piece of my comment and changing my point. That's what Strawmen do.
  • Code2501
    Code2501
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes, but none of that makes snipe a NB skill any more than battle roar passive makes bat swarm a DK skill, which is to say it isn't.

• demonlkojipub19_ESO
    demonlkojipub19_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You misunderstood the entire post. I said there shouldn't be skills destined to be spammed.
  • guybrushtb16_ESO
    guybrushtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    You misunderstood the entire post. I said there shouldn't be skills destined to be spammed.

So what? This isn't going to happen without a complete redesign of all class and weapon abilities, which is not likely to happen anytime soon. For now, dps consists entirely of ability spam and weaved attacks and if a weapon doesn't support that it's not competitive.
  • Varicite
    Varicite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fair enough, let's call it

But that's not the game we're playing...