The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What about a campaign with groups limited to 4 or 8 people (aka "no zerg campaign ...") ?

Vanzen
Vanzen
✭✭✭✭✭
I notice reading in pvp zone chat than more and more people like myself are fed up with those zerg trains. I participated in some myself for the first months, and now I think its as entertaining as watching paint dry and as challenging as pushing an elevator button ...
It's even spoiling the fun and the sense of immersion when we are all fighting toes to toes in a contest of skills when "tada", the cavalry appears and just ruins the whole thing.
I even think looking at zergs sometime, lurking in stealth in some corners waiting for only them know what, doing nothing, that they just look ridiculous ...
What about a campaign with grouping limited to 4 or 8 people ? Quite simple to implement and it would be a nice place to organise duels that are becoming more and more apealing to many ...
  • Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds good but you would need to also rework heals to be group only
  • Nala_
    Nala_
    ✭✭✭✭
    Limit it to 8 people; see DAOC.
  • Zaraul
    Zaraul
    Soul Shriven
    Id like to see somekind of PVP on smaller scale like the DAOC "Battlegrounds"

It was simple, a small area with a central keep, all 3 realms head out from the'yre spawning keep and have fun. Through roaming around it solo or trying to cap the central keep as a grp. this could be capped to 12 maybe 24 players/realm.

This would be instanced ofc and would require queuing.
    Edited by Zaraul on July 30, 2014 2:18PM
  • Zadian
    Zadian
    ✭✭✭
    My guess is, that it won't change anything. Running in a zerg isn't that difficult and can be done without a single large in-game group.

Make a group limit of 4-8 people and you will get zergs made out of a lot of small groups. If people want a coordinated zergball then they'll probably simply use a voice chat app for the coordination.

A solution for the zerg problem has to solve the cause - the reason why people are running around in a large and tightly packed group using only a few AoE skills.

In my opinion there is no easy solution to the zergball problem. All the suggested solutions I read and the possible solutions I came up with introduce other problems or are not very effective. I think the whole buff/heal/AoE system has to be adjusted and the armor skills need some heavy adjustments. I don't think that a single change will help.

• Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    why would zergers go to the campaign where its slightly harder to zerg?
  • Zadian
    Zadian
    ✭✭✭
    Lowbei wrote: »
    why would zergers go to the campaign where its slightly harder to zerg?

- slightly better chance to not get zerged
    - easier enemies as they don't zerg
    - they can annoy those who don't want to zerg
    - easy AP farming
    - slightly less coordinated enemies
    - they feel better stronger

Two possible scenarios:
    - zergballing will still be the preferred method and everybody will just find a way to zergball
    - the campaign is dead and empty and one or two guilds claim that campaign as their own personal AP farm ground and buff campaign. Zergballing it long enough until everybody else just leaves. Annoying everybody who wants to capture resources (needed to AP farm recon missions) or keeps.

Thinking of it, zergballs aren't the biggest problems in ESO pvp…
  • Harnesh
    Harnesh
    ✭✭✭
    This is not really players fault its the mechanics of the game. If zenimax wants to stop zerg balls change the mechanics. You could have a server with no"official"grouping at all and would still have this problem.
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah as long as ts/vent is working zergs with or without grouping is possible, just a little harder to stick to the master plan, without the markers above your head. now with the upcoming cant remember the name, guild robes they could just make it all really ugly shiny pink and then they can zerg again :)
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like others said , i dont think this would change anything.

In bigger numbers you have higher chances. So people will join together one way or the other if they can.

The only limit to this is how many zen allows in an area at a time.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • Galrukh
    Galrukh
    ✭✭✭
    Such a server would obviously limit buffs and heals to groups and would remove AOE cap. Might work.
  • Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They wont be able to get organised as well, as they wont be able to see where on map is each other, specially when dying. From experience its already a mess to get 2 big groups working together, you never know for sure who you have to follow...
    If there was a limited grouping server, I dont think zerg leaders will go for it, and to be honnest there are zerg because some players are willing to organise them.
  • Atreius86
    Atreius86
    Soul Shriven
    Well, first of all, respect for you, initiatives to avoid the zerg that is destroying the fun in pvp for a lot of people are always awesome.
    But this is the game, and change the mechanics now its like impossible (except aoe caps, and a lot of ppl is hoping on this).

Btw i was thinking something "similar" some days ago when they announced the new 5 pvp campaigns.

Considering that is like impossible that zenimax will make some changes like daoc battlegrounds, and considering that they have tons of other problems to resolve with higher priority (just take a look at the forum) i think that players can try to do something.

I'm not asking "stop brainless zerging people!" i know that is impossible.

But i think that we have an opportunity to try something before the implementation of the new campagns: WE (as "we" i mean nonzerging players) can make an official forum discussion based on what campaign to choose of the new 5.

If a lot of nonzergers, like coordinated small guilds, little ganking groups, solo/duo players etc. will partecipate on this pre-campaign selection, probably on that campaign we'll have more possibility to encounter nonzerging groups traveling around cyrodiil.
    Yeah, the zerg will be the same, but there will be more solo/small groups running around.

What do you think? Wanna try to make a discussion for EU and US campaigns?
  • Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny,
    Cause after I made this thread, I started thinking that maybe the only way to fight the zerg w/o the help of zenimax would be to choose an "unoficial" non zerging campaign ...
    So I completely agree with you !
    Am on EU server.
    Maybe easiest way would be to choose the last campaign and start advertising in zone chat in populated area and pvp zone ..
  • Kewljag_66_ESO
    Kewljag_66_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were zergs in DAOC, there were huge keep seiges,and relic raids, those were some of the best parts of DAOC.

You can easly avoid the zerg in ESO just like you could in DAOC. There is plenty of small scale fights and group vs group fights happening.

• Lowbei
    Lowbei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    arenas will solve the issue of lack of gvg
  • dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone could still look at the map and go to the same battle. Not to mention going on chat and being on a team anyway.
  • Columba
    Columba
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go play tf2. I don't want zenimax wasting resources to satisfy a minority who wants arena play.
  • Annomaander_Rake
    Annomaander_Rake
    ✭✭✭
    do you know how armies worked 500-3000 years ago? the only way to accomplish anything on the battlefield was to swarm all over it. even the very best players can take a defended keep with only 10 people. undefended is no problem. the term "zerg" is basically a derogatory term for an ARMY. you want a type of warfare that would not have existed in the timeframe eso exists in. if you can't stand "zergs" then either go play an FPS that has exactly what your talking about IE ARMA, or do what your the game half intended you to do and join the ARMY that your faction is.
    Main- Annomaander Rake - Magicka Lightning Sorcerer PVP DPS
    Second- Dracconnus - Magicka Fire DK PVE DPS
    Third- Necro-Nom-Icon - Templar PVE Tank
  • mikeymike2785b14_ESO
    zerg is the internet term for it cuz of a game thats working on being 2 decades old soon in a couple of years. Zergling swarms were fun to look at on a map playing Starcraft, idc if u liked protoss or terran (i loved protoss) its still fun seeing the zerg swarm just envelop the screen. That's our internet equivalent of armies 500-3000 years ago :P

This idea wont work. One Word. "Headsets."

its not hard to make multiple groups of 8.