The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What bonuses would you like see for the currently lame 8 trait crafted sets?

LonePirate
LonePirate
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
After reviewing the bonuses from the various crafting stations (see this thread for more info: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/118944/1-3-0-armor-and-weapon-sets ), the more strongly I believe the bonuses for the 8 trait crafted sets are simply awful given the amount of time needed to research 8 traits on an item.

At a minimum, the collection of 2, 3 and 4 piece bonuses need to be boosted by 20% (maybe even by 50%) to set them apart from the sets crafted on the lower tier stations. For instance, instead of boosting VR12 Max Health by 118 or Max Magicka by78, the 20% boost would push them to 142 for Max Health and 94 for Max Magicka. A 50% boost would put those numbers at 177 and 117, respectively, which is not game breaking by any means.

The 5 piece bonuses also need to be replaced. While the Oblivion's Foe and Shalidor's Curse 5 piece bonuses are borderline acceptable, the rest of them flat out stink. What would be some better alternatives?

For the Arena set, why not a 100% cost reduction of Break Free with a 5 minute cool down? Or maybe something comparable to the Warlock set's Magicka Flood, but for Stamina, such as a 560 Stamina increase when dropping below 33% Stamina with a 5 minute cool down? For Eyes of Mara, why not a 12% reduction in Magicka costs of spells/abilities instead of the 12% reduction only for restoration staff abilities?

I would also support the implementation of new bonuses that apply only to the crafter of the set pieces in order to reward crafters who devote the time to researching 8 traits.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas for improving the completely lackluster and underwhelming 8 trait set bonuses?
  • glavius
    glavius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Making 8 set bonuses better than everything else forces everyone to use them. I really prefere the way it is now (Any really useless bonuses should be changed of course) I actually think some of the 8 set bonuses are nice, for example spectre's eye set has a nice dodge bonus.
  • Sunrock
    Sunrock
    ✭✭✭
    I really want one of the sets to give 5 items: Increases healing done by 8% to your party.

An other maybe be 5 items: 20% chance to increase melee attack damage with 20% after with each successful critical hit, can stack up to 3 times. Last 10 sec.

Edited by Sunrock on July 24, 2014 7:12PM
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    glavius wrote: »
    Making 8 set bonuses better than everything else forces everyone to use them.

How is that any different than the way things are now? Players who buy crafted items now want the 6 or 8 trait sets well over 95% of the time. Improving the 8 trait set bonuses won't change that.

Would you support boosts/improvements that apply only to the crafter as a reward for performing the research? Possibly something like an additional 10% improvement to all set bonuses?
  • Oberon
    Oberon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Give 6, 7 and 8 piece set bonuses for the sets that require 8 traits to craft. They would have to be better than the usual generic +health etc that you get on 2, 3 and 4 set bonuses (or there would be no point).
  • Brandoid
    Brandoid
    ✭✭✭
    Oberon wrote: »
    Give 6, 7 and 8 piece set bonuses for the sets that require 8 traits to craft. They would have to be better than the usual generic +health etc that you get on 2, 3 and 4 set bonuses (or there would be no point).

I like this idea.
    Brandoid - Templar - Ebonheart Pack
  • Attorneyatlawl
    Attorneyatlawl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Making 8 set bonuses better than everything else forces everyone to use them. I really prefere the way it is now (Any really useless bonuses should be changed of course) I actually think some of the 8 set bonuses are nice, for example spectre's eye set has a nice dodge bonus.

Queue Eff Tee. 100% spot-on, they are meant to be slightly more valuable to sell and source, not more powerful, than other crafted sets. Outmoding the bulk of the sets because of someone's misconception over how the crafting system is actually supposed to work isn't a good idea ;). If certain bonuses are significantly underpowered and don't contribute to niche customization or other functionality, then they should be beefed up.
    LonePirate wrote: »

How is that any different than the way things are now? Players who buy crafted items now want the 6 or 8 trait sets well over 95% of the time. Improving the 8 trait set bonuses won't change that.

Would you support boosts/improvements that apply only to the crafter as a reward for performing the research? Possibly something like an additional 10% improvement to all set bonuses?

Heck no, that would just hurt the game's economy outright. And the # of traits has nothing to do with a set's power level right now, as it should be.
    Edited by Attorneyatlawl on July 24, 2014 10:36PM
    -First-Wave Closed Beta Tester of the Psijic Order, aka the 0.016 percent.
    Exploits suck. Don't blame just the game, blame the players abusing them!

-Playing since July 2013, back when we had a killspam channel in Cyrodiil and the lands of Tamriel were roamed by dinosaurs.
    ✭✭✭

Very very few wants the 8 trait sets. Most popular is the 6 trait sets. But there are 3, 4 and 5 trait sets that are more popular then 8 trait sets. That is the problem.

I takes around 4 months to research 5 armor peaces to 8 traits. Compare that to 5 armor peaces of 6 traits that takes 1 months or so. Consider the time it takes for 8th trait in relation to the set bonuses they give it's not worth the time TBH. Only reason people research 8th trait right now is because they already have 6 traits on every thing else so way not continue...
  • LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sunrock wrote: »
    Consider the time it takes for 8th trait in relation to the set bonuses they give it's not worth the time TBH.

That is the entire point of this thread. What needs to be done to make the 8 trait set bonuses worth the research time? I'm not a fan of throwing in the towel and leaving the 8 trait sets alone in their present underwhelming state. What needs to be changed to incentivize the crafters to perform the research and for players to seek out these sets?

• ARtChi
    ARtChi
    ✭✭✭
    Personnaly, I'm not for 8 piece set bonuses on 8-trait sets. I'd rather be able to stuff myself with different sets and build my own.
    But I agree with OP, 8-traits set are not really worthy atm and won't be so much in 1.3.x if they stay that way.

Specter's eye was great before patch and the new bonuses suits me really well. but for the others...

Regarding the set of the arena : For me cost reduction of Break Free is not to so important I would wear 5 pieces of the set. Originally I crafted it for myself in gold because of armor bonus. Now it is gone, I really don't know what i'm going to do with this set. I think Block reduction cost as a bonus could be so much better

Shalidor's curse and Orgnum's scale are almost the same except for last bonus. Shalidor's not to so bad for a tank, but I would really like to see some flat damage mitigation instead of random pop of life. At least one of this set is useless and should be reworked.

Eyes of mara bonus on resto staff spell could be interesting if the set didn't gave +spell damage. Weapon damage boost resto staff spells and not spell damage ! :s
    (also, some healing bonus, or reduction cost on all healing spell would be more desirable to me)

For Kragenac's Hope, I don't know, I don't really understand the purpose of this set... It is actually possible with templar to build a set around resurecting people... but honnestly... isn't it a little bit of a corner?

Oblivion's Foe gives nice regen, but again a buff for resurrecting people... Actually there's not really any set for stamina regen. Why not a last bonus with stamina flow (as proposed in another post) ?

Edited by ARtChi on July 25, 2014 8:32AM
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would be fine with giving 8 trait sets a boost to mark them as high ranked crafted items, but I do not want them boosted to the point that using anything else becomes obsolete.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• LonePirate
    LonePirate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I would be fine with giving 8 trait sets a boost to mark them as high ranked crafted items, but I do not want them boosted to the point that using anything else becomes obsolete.

Then give those eight trait sets bonuses that only the crafter can utilize. There needs to be some incentive to research all eight traits (soon to be nine?) as there is essentially no incentive right now to research them. Despite what others may think, eight trait sets should be more powerful and offer better stats than the other lesser trait sets. They should be driving the crafted gear economy, not the five and six trait sets. It is ludicrous that all of the sets should essentially offer the same 2-4 piece bonuses with underwhelming five piece bonuses.

• DuelWieldingCheesyPoofs
    Crit on heavy please
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Then give those eight trait sets bonuses that only the crafter can utilize. There needs to be some incentive to research all eight traits (soon to be nine?) as there is essentially no incentive right now to research them. Despite what others may think, eight trait sets should be more powerful and offer better stats than the other lesser trait sets. They should be driving the crafted gear economy, not the five and six trait sets. It is ludicrous that all of the sets should essentially offer the same 2-4 piece bonuses with underwhelming five piece bonuses.
    No one should have to craft to get the best gear. That is one of the reasons I left gw2. Anyone should be able to use anything with equal effectiveness that a crafter makes. The aim of crafting should be trade and commerce not obtaining exclusive crafter only gear advantages.

I am fine with 8 trait gear being better but it should only be marginally better. Other gear should remain equally viable.

The incentive should be gold not a personal gear advantage.
    Edited by timidobserver on July 25, 2014 2:05PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Qael
    Qael
    ✭✭✭
    5-Piece for Magnus - Upon using an ability you gain 1 charge of Reserved Power. Upon reaching 5 charges of Reserved Power your next ability will cause 20% additional damage.

-- This bonus will give a minor DPS increase, but will also allow players to line up those stacks for burst damage when it is needed. It is sets like these and players using the correctly that really separate the best players from the rest.

5-Piece for Arena - 10% chance on hit to increase Weapon Power by 20% for 5 seconds. This effect may only trigger once every 30 seconds.

-- Another minor bonus to DPS, and this time proc based. Not as easy to line up for instant burst, but also a lot easier to ability dump.

5-piece for Willow's - Critical strikes have a 20% chance to explode for 210 AOE damage.

-- Focused primarily on additional AOE damage, but also increases DPS on any boss fight as well. Also this proc could be very nice for a bit or extra burst in PvP.

These are a few Ideas that I have had.
    Edited by Qael on July 25, 2014 4:42PM
  • Stonesthrow
    Stonesthrow
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sunrock wrote: »
    I takes around 4 months to research 5 armor peaces to 8 traits. Compare that to 5 armor peaces of 6 traits that takes 1 months or so. Consider the time it takes for 8th trait in relation to the set bonuses they give it's not worth the time TBH. Only reason people research 8th trait right now is because they already have 6 traits on every thing else so way not continue...

The reason some of us keep researching is to be ready for the 9th trait as well. Hoping the 9th, whatever it is, can not be learned until all 8 are done...

Now if the 9th trait is suddenly like all the rest and available to anyone who hasn't even started research yet and they can do it in 6 hours, then you will see some crying. We will all be buried in researching another trait when it hits or will be required to spend roughly 53 days, if they follow the pattern, to learn it. Crafters will grab their pitchforks...

Granted we will be able to put it on a fancy new OP 9 trait set when we are done...