The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Bolt escape: The truth about the gripe

Khazaad
Khazaad
✭✭✭
Listen people...You don't have to be a West Point grad to know that a retreating foe is a disabled opponent.

If a sorc is spamming this ability, he is not using other tactics or abilities and is being effectively neutralized with minimal effort. If you're just getting frustrated because of it, you are declining an advantage that is being served to you.

You should not be getting killed by a bolt spammer. If you are, your tactics are fundamentally problematic. If you're just mad because you find it annoying PVP probably frustrates you on a global level.
  • imobius
    imobius
    Soul Shriven
    The point is not that people are getting killed by Bolt spammers, genius.
    The point is that its impossible to kill Bolt spammers themselves.

Sorcerers don't get punished for being out of position, because they can just GTFO with little to no effort. Being able to Escape the worsed situations by spamming an ability is ***.

Sure, if they are retreating, they aren't a threat at that moment. But they can return when fully recovered significantly faster than someone who was killed and had to respawn and run back.

This "they're disabled, take advantage that they're just running away" is just an excuse sorceres like to make to try and justify it.
    Someone who can escape almost every bad situation also doesn't give any points or resources and isn't nearly as "neutralized" as someone who got killed.
    Edited by imobius on May 29, 2014 12:34PM
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    imobius wrote: »
    Sorcerers don't get punished for being out of position, because they can just GTFO with little to no effort. Being able to Escape the worsed situations by spamming an ability is ***.
    It takes an entire magic reserve to do this most of the time. You're upset because you can't seal the deal. The net effect is zero, worst case scenario, and not remotely the game imbalancing travesty you and yours think it is.
    Sure, if they are retreating, they aren't a threat at that moment.
    Glad you agree
    But they can return when fully recovered significantly faster than someone who was killed and had to respawn and run back.
    shouldn't you be complaining about the thing that killed you and made you run back?[/quote]
    Someone who can Escape also doesn't give any points or resources.
    someone who runs as much as you say doesn't gain any either. Net effect, zero.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If this is truth what then shall we call false?

A sorc that "gets away" is not a net 0 effect. Do you know what guerrilla tactics are and why they are so effective?
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »

A sorc that "gets away" is not a net 0 effect. Do you know what guerrilla tactics are and why they are so effective?

Guerilla tactics. Good way to put it...Nothing unfair about it.

• Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Khazaad wrote: »
    Armitas wrote: »

Guerilla tactics. Good way to put it...Nothing unfair about it.

The fact that a single class has the enormous capacity for this does not make it balanced or fair. It does however, by your agreement just now, make the entire foundation of your "net zero" thread invalid.
    Edited by Armitas on May 29, 2014 4:55PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Obscure
    Obscure
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As right as the OP is, aren't there enough Bolt Escape threads already?

BE isn't a problem, it's very much integral to the classes strong suit of staying at range. Should they so choose to GTFO with it, then by all means they should. They aren't Dragonknights that can withstand punishment, they're Sorcerers who's every skill line encourages getting away and staying away from said punishment.

The problem is ESO is a magicka spam fest, and EVERYTHING magicka based that's even remotely effective is being down right abused. From Impulse to Bolt Escape and everything between, ESO favors light armor casters over anything and everything else. The excessive cost reduction of light armor (Evocation) stacked with jewelry reductions, class reductions (Unholy Knowledge), racial reductions (Breton), and gear reductions (Seducer set) make a mockery of any intended design balance between Stamina and Magicka specializations. Are you not wearing light armor and specialized in Magicka? Well then you're sub optimal. Period. Not even a debatable topic. I can accept my build being sub optimal due to this because for what I lack in mechanical advantage I make up for in player ability.

Bolt spammers? I run them down all the time... as a Dragonknight... with the aforementioned mechanical disadvantage. No one has a valid excuse.
  • Khazaad
    Khazaad
    ✭✭✭
    Obscure wrote: »
    As right as the OP is, aren't there enough Bolt Escape threads already?

Not without this one. You actually got some great insight onto the problem.

Obscure wrote: »
    BE isn't a problem, it's very much integral to the classes strong suit of staying at range. Should they so choose to GTFO with it, then by all means they should. They aren't Dragonknights that can withstand punishment, they're Sorcerers who's every skill line encourages getting away and staying away from said punishment.

The problem is ESO is a magicka spam fest, and EVERYTHING magicka based that's even remotely effective is being down right abused. From Impulse to Bolt Escape and everything between, ESO favors light armor casters over anything and everything else. The excessive cost reduction of light armor (Evocation) stacked with jewelry reductions, class reductions (Unholy Knowledge), racial reductions (Breton), and gear reductions (Seducer set) make a mockery of any intended design balance between Stamina and Magicka specializations. Are you not wearing light armor and specialized in Magicka? Well then you're sub optimal. Period. Not even a debatable topic. I can accept my build being sub optimal due to this because for what I lack in mechanical advantage I make up for in player ability.

Bolt spammers? I run them down all the time... as a Dragonknight... with the aforementioned mechanical disadvantage. No one has a valid excuse.

This probably deserves its own thread. I know it's not an original topic but it's succinct enough.

If you try balancing a situation by breaking everything equally you just end up with a lot of broken things.
  • Therium104
    Therium104
    ✭✭✭
    Khazaad wrote: »
    Listen people...You don't have to be a West Point grad to know that a retreating foe is a disabled opponent.

If a sorc is spamming this ability, he is not using other tactics or abilities and is being effectively neutralized with minimal effort. If you're just getting frustrated because of it, you are declining an advantage that is being served to you.

You should not be getting killed by a bolt spammer. If you are, your tactics are fundamentally problematic. If you're just mad because you find it annoying PVP probably frustrates you on a global level.

Wtf. You need to please avoid commenting on this subject, General Patton. Also, please nerf escape bolt.