The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Game crashes/fails to load after pressing PLAY on Launcher

CountonMe
CountonMe
✭✭✭
I open the Launcher and press the PLAY button. The screen goes black like it would normally do when the game loads, but after 5 seconds, it just closes/crashes back to my desktop. The Launcher stays open and I'm not getting any error messages. I press PLAY again and I get the black screen, then poof the black screen quits. I used the Repair feature on the Launcher after reading a few posts but that still doesn't fix the problem. Anyone else have this problem and fixed it? I'm running Windows 10 Pro

Edit:
Things I have attempted:
1. Updated my Video driver
2. Deleted the ShaderCache and Usersettings file
3. Deleted the Addons folder
4. Ran the Launcher as Administrator and repaired it x 3
5. Restarted my PC

Still not working. Frustrating cuz I don't get an error message.
Edited by CountonMe on 12 March 2024 13:33
  • MuttleyGriffin
    MuttleyGriffin
    Soul Shriven
    CountonMe wrote: »
    Anyone else have this problem and fixed it?

I'm also experiencing the same issue, though unfortunately have not been able to fix it.
    Carried out the same troubleshooting as yourself, and repaired the game files via the launcher, still not working.

Windows 11 Pro, AMD GPU on latest drivers.
  • Braggar
    Braggar
    ✭✭✭✭
    CountonMe wrote: »
    I open the Launcher and press the PLAY button. The screen goes black like it would normally do when the game loads, but after 5 seconds, it just closes/crashes back to my desktop. The Launcher stays open and I'm not getting any error messages. I press PLAY again and I get the black screen, then poof the black screen quits. I used the Repair feature on the Launcher after reading a few posts but that still doesn't fix the problem. Anyone else have this problem and fixed it? I'm running Windows 10 Pro

Edit:
    Things I have attempted:
    1. Updated my Video driver
    2. Deleted the ShaderCache and Usersettings file
    3. Deleted the Addons folder
    4. Ran the Launcher as Administrator and repaired it x 3
    5. Restarted my PC

Still not working. Frustrating cuz I don't get an error message.

I got the same problem. Game won´t start. Tried a lot of fixes don´t work. I can´t say for sure, if this really helps? But some guys claim, there is a program running in your Task Manager/process, that cause a constant ESO game launch crash. Maybe MSI Afterburner? But that is just a guess.
    Edited by Braggar on 12 March 2024 15:37
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @CountonMe

We are aware of an issue with ESO freezing after being launched. This is documented in the known issues for Update 41 found here. Since you've exhausted the basic crash troubleshooting, you can open a ticket for further assistance with customer support.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Füßchen
    Füßchen
    ✭✭
    I fear it probably won't help you, but just in case:

My boyfriend had the exact same thing happen after the update. In his case he forgot to deactivate Windows Test Mode again several weeks ago. Apparently it isn't possible anymore to run ESO after the update, when Windows Test Mode is active, while it was possible before. We just deactivated it around an hour ago and it's finally starting again.

On his laptop the same behavior was caused by OneDrive apparently because the document folder was synched. After he removed the folder from synchronisation via OneDrive, the game started normally.
    That was a new installation though, so that he could play ESO until we found the problem on his desktop PC, so I'm not sure if that can happen later on too.

Because it took until today to get ESO to start again, I asked in my guilds, if anyone had an idea and googled a lot. Not sure if there is something in there that might work for you, but I listed things that were mentioned there here.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Füßchen

Thanks for sharing these possible workarounds!
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post