The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What sort of skills are you hoping to see with the new Scribing system?

LukosCreyden
LukosCreyden
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Personally, I am hoping to see an alternative spammable for Dual Wield (I don't like the new flurry animation. Maybe skill styles can help) and also an instant spammable for 2H.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on 21 January 2024 17:32
Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Based on what we've been teased so far with Vault and Soul Touch, I think the approach they're taking is to fill any gap that's currently present within those specific skill lines (to some degree, all skill lines). So while it may be cool to get a spammable for DW, I doubt that would be the core functionality of the new skill when DW effectively has 3 spammables with Flurry, Flying Blade (Vat DW) and Twin Slashes (Master DW).

Vault's conception seems to come from the line not having a movement skill, yet it's suppose to be the most elusive, ranged weapon available. It separates itself from DW/2H/1H+Shield movement skills by pushing yourself away from your target instead of towards. Of course, it can do other cool things like heal, slow, immobilize, deal damage, buff, but this will be true for most skills we scribe. It's how it does those things that's important. The core concept is a movement skill, but it does so in an instant aoe cast, so the scaling for damage/cost would be similar to that of Whirlwind as an example.

Soul Touch sounds like a single target spammable to me. Most spells in RPGs with the term "Touch" are melee damage spells, low cost.. spammable. Either way, even if it's ranged, I think it's a spammable because Soul Magic is available to everyone from the start of the game. It would make sense to have a spammable in it. I'm willing to bet it's one of, if not the first Grimoires you unlock from the Scribing quest line to introduce you to the system and give something that can fit any build or playstyle. It sounds the most versatile as a skill that can be used for single target healing, damage, shielding, pulling, etc. I bet you can convert it into a single target execute as well by lowering the upfront damage, but execute scaling via script 2. Bread and butter skill.

Here are some guesses I have that I think would fit nicely, not gonna touch on 3rd script as those are mostly for named buffs/debuffs.

DW = Shade Step - Move forward through the shadows a short distance (10m or less). Similar in function to Bolt Escape except shorter distance, can't aim for the location you move to like Mist Form, so no verticality. Maybe a unique script could be to give you 2s of invisibility at the end or leave a caltrop behind you to immobilize.

Sword and Shield = Shield Throw - Throw your shield at a target that teleports back into your hands - Captain America! This skill could be a great way to add range to the skill line with lots of utility or damage based on what you pick. 1st script for dealing damage, healing an ally, taunting, etc. 2nd script makes the shield bounce between up to 3 nearby enemies or allies depending on what you picked for 1st script, leave a ground aoe dot (helps proc enchants for the line that it can't do right now), more damage to the first enemy hit, dot etc. An example of this could be 1. Physical, 2. AoE DoT, 3. Minor Breach. Now you have essentially a shield version of Razor Caltrops. Another example, 1. Taunt, 2. Bounce, 3. Minor Maim. Now you can aoe taunt without requiring a set, but it's still limited to only 4 targets for balancing purposes at a low duration.

Destro = Inner Storm - Gather magic within yourself releasing it outward, slowing all nearby enemies (6m radius) for 4s by x%. This adds a self buff to the skill line that is currently missing. 1st script for elements could add a pulsing aoe damage like Blade Cloak. Give a shield or heal allies. 2nd script could increase status effect chance, movement speed, damage dealt with elements by x%, stun all nearby enemies instead of slow. 3rd script, buff, aka magicka users could get Major Brutality/Sorcery from this instead of Degen. Hello NB/Templar/Necro :)

Mages Guild = Summon Companion (20s duration) - Based on the 1st script you choose, the element decides the summon. Atronach (Fire, Shock, Frost, Physical), Wolf (Bleed), Undead (Disease), Spirit (Magic), something poison.. a frog? Healing could be something holy, CC related could be something else. 2nd script double the duration, increase the damage, add a dot or hot, debuff enemies hit, permanent double bar pet but much less passive damage.

Not sure about Resto, 2H, Assault, Support, or Fighters Guild yet.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on 22 January 2024 01:03
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine if you could scribe a fairly strong instant self heal. Ill go kit out my stamsorc and rdy him for the onslaught lel

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to go with the assumption that Grimoires will be added to other skill lines over time, much like how Tales of Tribute, Companions, Housing, and other major features continue to be updated. In the event that we get a Grimoire for the Werewolf skill line (which would solve numerous issues with the playstyle), I'd like the following:
    What I hope to get out of Scribing for a Werewolf build is at least one new skill that can be customized.

There are tons of animations for the werewolf character model that could be used for a new skill if the designers didn't want to make an elaborate animation like the backflip shown with the Vault Grimoire for the Bow skill line. Notably, I think of the one animation that werewolf NPCs have where they jump into the air and knock the player back, or another animation where the werewolf swipes with their claws four times and then bites twice. I'd personally love to finally have a biting skill like Werewolf Behemoth has.

Regardless, the base animation for a Werewolf Grimoire wouldn't necessarily have to be magical — it could look like another physical attack (just like how Infectious Claws, Pounce, and Piercing Howl aren't visually "magical") but with the ability to have its damage type changed. Maybe an AoE Grimoire like the one shown for Vault could allow Werewolf to heal/buff their allies or taunt enemies. After all, this development screenshot shows that Vault, a Bow Grimoire, is going to allow players to heal allies or taunt enemies with the Primary effect:

ieb4pjt8a6os.png

So it's entirely possible that a Werewolf Grimoire could help Werewolf players fill in many of the holes that their build naturally has. Also, I'll bet that one of the Secondary effects for a Werewolf Grimoire will probably be to add time to the Werewolf Transformation timer, since the Secondary effects play into the identity of the associated skill line. Maybe this could be an easier way for Werewolf to sustain their timer when there are no enemies around?
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
  • RaptorRodeoGod
    RaptorRodeoGod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arcanist beam, but in destro or mages guild skill line. Why make all that tech for an aimable laser if you're only going to utilize it on one class?
    Edited by RaptorRodeoGod on 22 January 2024 15:51
    Give all classes access to a Scribing skill that works like Arcanist beam.
    ---
    Overland difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 10 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including One Tamriel, an overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver & Gold as a "you think you do but you don't" - tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game. I'm bored of dungeons, I'm bored of trials; make a personal difficulty slider for overland. Make a self debuff mythic. Literally anything at this point.
  • yadibroz
    yadibroz
    ✭✭✭
    Ice
  • autocookies
    autocookies
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
    Edited by autocookies on 13 March 2024 15:19
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am mainly hoping to add buffs to skills that could use it. for example on werewolf would like to modify the heal so it also has a dot heal at the end. also add major protection and minor resolve to a skill. minor breach as well to the one skill that applies major breach on wolf. and make one of the pounces taunt! Finally can build a wolf tank maybe!

I want to add major brutality to the skeleton bow person so I can finally after 3 years of parsing drop degen! also major savagery to a skill as well but kinda hard to drop a fighters guild skill from the frontbar...

Depending on how the color system works am very very very much looking forward to playing with that B)

Scribing does not currently effect existing skills. They are completely new skills called Grimoires in which you can customize in 3 ways using "Scripts".

Maybe 1 day we could edit existing skills, but I doubt it unless they added Scribing free to the base game. It wouldn't make sense to only have 2 morphs for existing skills when scribing those skills could add 100s of variations, but behind a paywall. That would be way too pay to win and destroy class variety when any skill can do anything. There would be no point into having morphs for skills at all. The way their idea is now, leaves a lot of room for customization, while still relying on the core skills that make every class or sub class (ww) unique.

At launch it's already been announced there will be at least 11 the new skills, maybe more if they make 2 for a line. It is for all 6 weapons, Fighters guild, Mages guild, Soul Magic, Assault, and Support. They hinted that this new mechanic could expand in the future, potentially even classes, but they wanted it to be universal at launch instead of leaving any 1 of the 7 classes out. Most likely because they didn't have enough time to tackle 7 classes with 3 skill lines for a total of 21 skills which meant a class would be left out. Releasing it to world/guild/weapon lines first allows them to test them out first before deciding if they should even attempt class skill Scribing.

If I were to take a bet, the new chapter for year 11 will release 1 new skill for Vampire, Werewolf, Undaunted, and Psijic Order.. Then, like class sets, they'll release 1 skill per class for 1 of their 3 skill lines. That would be a total of 11 skills like this year. Every following year, they could do another 7 skills until the 21 for the classes are complete.

Maybe the skill lines used for strictly passives could get a skill 1 day too. Eg. Legerdemain, Thieves guild, Dark Brotherhood, Scying and Excavation. Although, I wouldn't hold my breath on this 1.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit