The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Simple way to increase class distinctiveness

richo262
richo262
✭✭✭✭✭
Class trees (and guild trees) exist to allow a skill to be used by bypassing an item requirement. Ie DK Whip can be used no matter the weapon, Snipe can only be used with a bow.

Why not remove Whip from the tool kit and update the spammable of each weapon tree to have a morph akin the a DK. The Mag whip essentially becomes a morph or Destructive touch and the physical weapons get a molten rock themed skill (not poop shot) that also benefits from Seething flame or Stagger which seems to be the unique attribute of the DK tool kit spammables.

That way this weird attempt at trying to figure out what whip should be, what it should cost, which DPS should use it every patch can end.

There are many skills like this that could over rule 'standard skills' for instance the Sorcerer has a unique shield, the unique attributes of this shield should just over rule Light, Med and Heavy in their own unique way. The arcanist also has a shield that looks really cool, would be a shame if it ends up inferior to the generic Light armor skill and people use that instead.

Could probably end up close to losing a tree from every class, but having many more unique skills in each tree specific to each class.

I could see the DK just getting Molten Fists as the dual wield spammable where his hands turns to rocks and just belts the crap out of the enemy causing stagger. Same or similar base function, different animation, unique property (stagger).

Obviously need some consideration for passives extending to Class specific unique skills in weapon trees.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on 13 May 2023 15:08
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Things do not need to be that complicated.

If Zenimax wanted to give classes more unique flavor they could make the skills that come from each weapon unique per each class. It would take a lot of effort to redesign each weapon for each class but it would be a very straight forward change. Still a lot of work.

After that, we would have more unique skills per class leaving only the guild skill lines that are the same across all classes.

• TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way too complex. Things are fine the way they are, no need to reinvent the wheel.
    Amottica wrote: »
    If Zenimax wanted to give classes more unique flavor they could make the skills that come from each weapon unique per each class. It would take a lot of effort to redesign each weapon for each class but it would be a very straight forward change. Still a lot of work.

I like that idea though - but I'm betting at this stage of the game's lifetime, it's not going to happen.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »
    Way too complex. Things are fine the way they are, no need to reinvent the wheel.

I like that idea though - but I'm betting at this stage of the game's lifetime, it's not going to happen.

You just disagreed and agreed to the same thing, at the same time.
  • TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, just let us pick one tree from each class until we hit three, and they can't overlap. Everything is being homogenized anyway, so just let us go full Skyrim and pick what we want.

Wanna play a stealthy ice mage? Cool. Shadow Tree from NB, Winter's Embrace tree from Warden, and Dark Magic from Sorcerer to tie it all together. Done.

Even better, let us cherry pick 18 skills and 15 passives and go wild. That would be "Play how you want".

All of this is as likely to happen as anything else here. I agree that class identity is broken, but I also think that's the intent.
    • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
    • PC/NA
    • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
    • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
    • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
    • Dragon Frog - Butterscotch Dragon Frog
    • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
  • SilverIce58
    SilverIce58
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, just let us pick one tree from each class until we hit three, and they can't overlap. Everything is being homogenized anyway, so just let us go full Skyrim and pick what we want.

Wanna play a stealthy ice mage? Cool. Shadow Tree from NB, Winter's Embrace tree from Warden, and Dark Magic from Sorcerer to tie it all together. Done.

Even better, let us cherry pick 18 skills and 15 passives and go wild. That would be "Play how you want".

All of this is as likely to happen as anything else here. I agree that class identity is broken, but I also think that's the intent.

I actually think this would be the best option down the line when the game starts getting a little older and in need of some big kind of update. I'd love to pick and choose skill lines, it feels very correct and very Elder Scrolls themed.
    PC - NA
    CP 1125
    Veric Blackwood - Breton Magsorc DC
    Xhiak-Qua'cthurus - Argonian Frost Warden EP
    Kujata-qa - Khajiit Magplar AD
    Suunleth-dar - Khajiit Stamblade AD
    Teldryn Antharys - Dunmer Flame DK EP
    Strikes-With-Venom - Argonian Poison DK EP
    Rur'san-ra - Khajiit WW Stamsorc AD
    Ilianos Solinar - Altmer Stamplar AD
    Iscah Silver-Heart - Reachman Magden DC
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • OBJnoob
    OBJnoob
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like others have said... I like some of these ideas, but ultimately think they're too complicated.

I think the game used to have more rock-paper-scissorsy matchups than it does now and this, in pvp, is what helped classes feel unique. This was before every class had a burst heal, every class had speed and evasiveness, every class had a stun and blah blah blah. But with more and more guild skills being introduced yearly now every class can outsource their missing utility and at least semi-effectively counter and combat anyone else.

And I don't really want this reverted, because more options is always a good thing, but I do have a very simple fix to propose.

Make sorcs (for example,) do 10% more damage to DKs (for example.)
    Make DKs do 10% more damage to Wardens.
    Wardens 10% more to Templars.
    Templars 10% more to Arcanist.

Blah blah blah, around the circle, until lastly someone does 10% more to sorcs.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TaSheen wrote: »

True. Both Matt and Rich were on the team when they were just starting on the conceptual phase of building this game. This their baby and I do have respect for their core choices.

• Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classes are already distinctive from each other by the buffs they give to group. However with hybridization you do not need all buffs which renders some of the classes obsolete in some cases.