The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Change in Subscription for ESO Plus

Kazren
Kazren
✭✭✭
It says I can no longer have a yearly subscription saying "due to subscription renewal restrictions in your area.." What does that mean? What "area?"
Now I'm being forced to pay more with a monthly subscription. That's really not fair. Please explain to us what this all means and why we can't have anything except the Monthly plan.
The letter from "The Elder Scrolls® Online Team" explains nothing.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on 13 March 2023 18:32
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What country do you live in? I think there are some changes to the sub situation depending on laws in your (and other) countries.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What platform and country are you playing in? If they ever do this near me, it will make it easier to cancel my subscription. Now that I've done the yearly subscription, I don't want to return to the monthly subscription.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 13 March 2023 07:02
  • The_one_i_seek
    The_one_i_seek
    ✭✭✭
    Kazren wrote: »
    It says I can no longer have a yearly subscription saying "due to subscription renewal restrictions in your area.." What does that mean? What "area?"
    Now I'm being forced to pay more with a monthly subscription. That's really not fair. Please explain to us what this all means and why we can't have anything except the Monthly plan.
    The letter from "The Elder Scrolls® Online Team" explains nothing.

what country is that?
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's likely those pesky customer protection laws laws of your country. For my account the change-subscription part of Manage Membership page looks like this:

we23wvz0h22g.png

• ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Crown Store & ESO Plus section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just checked and the 365 day subscription option is still available for me in the UK (as are all the others), so it hasn't been removed entirely.

It does sound like it might be related to your real-world location.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Aurhia
    Aurhia
    Soul Shriven
    I had the same question (I'm PC/NA, in the US, in California). There are instructions about canceling your account and purchasing the 180 day sub as though it was new rather than renewal (and having to do that every time), but when I tried that, it still kicked me over to 30 day when it charged me instead of letting me purchase the 180.

I'm confused by this because I have other services I purchase in three and six month increments that didn't make this change, and I couldn't find any laws in my state that might necessitate it. If it has to be that way for legal reasons I'll just work around it, but I'd like some clarity on the why.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just pay for however long you prefer and cancel your sub immediately. That way it will not renew automatically as 30 days sub if that is the problem. After the period you paid ends you just do that again (if you still want eso+)...
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rpa wrote: »
    Just pay for however long you prefer and cancel your sub immediately. That way it will not renew automatically as 30 days sub if that is the problem. After the period you paid ends you just do that again (if you still want eso+)...

The problem is that it's apparently not giving some people that option at all, not that they don't know they can cancel it later on.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Aurhia
    Aurhia
    Soul Shriven
    rpa wrote: »

As I said, I tried this. I canceled my sub after I got the notice that it was switching to 30 days renewal, and then purchased 180 days. I got a message at the time that said when my current time was up it would add the 180 days and would charge me then. It gave me 30 days instead.

I did not wait until the time of my sub was fully up and I was off plus before trying to buy more time. Why should I have to go off plus, then on, then off, then on, and mess with it over and over, just to get the same rate that other people can get with no hassle and no interruptions to their sub?
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same problem today.

My issue is that why the hell it still tells me I'm setting up "Recurring" subscription? I don't want 30 days recurring but what I select. If it cannot be done due to laws, please just cancel the membership at the end.

Also there is no warning in the "Purchase Confirmation" email, only the weird line saying "after initial period..." [snip])

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 2 January 2024 13:43