Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

First Person Only PVP/Dungeons/Trials

ethantokes
ethantokes
✭✭
I truly believe that First Person Only queues of all kinds could be beneficial to ESO. Almost everyone I meet agrees it would be cool, add to content difficulty and provide a more immersive experience and excuse to play First Person in the overworld as well. This would be extraordinarily easy to implement, the work is already done, and many would enjoy it. ES is known for it's immersion and the game is currently begging for more incentive to do this. Coupled with a gfx pass, this could be huge.

I would not worry about splitting queues, the option alone would drive up population. If this released along side new content in the following year, many players would return to try their game from the perspective they wished they had from the beginning. Don't forget the franchise gained it's popularity in First Person. It may sound unnecessary, but even just a PTS would likely prove peoples interest. Not to mention, the playerbase is by no means small.

There is currently NO reason to use first person, but if you watch youtube videos about the game, you hear tons of people trying to use the perspective as often as they can validate in their minds because it simply feels awesome to do.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on 5 March 2023 17:53
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Actually there is a reason to use first-person. Sometimes it can make targetting easier (ex. stacking the flame atros in lokke hm, taunting the adds in SG HM). Sometimes it makes the camera less jittery (when you’re forced against the wall and thus into first person). I’ve also done a trial in first person before for funsies. It’s definitely a thing you can do but you have to be aware of times you can’t do it… because you have to see the aoes under your feet.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do wish the effect projections were easier to see in first person. There are times it is better than 3rd.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ethantokes
    ethantokes
    ✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    Actually there is a reason to use first-person. Sometimes it can make targetting easier (ex. stacking the flame atros in lokke hm, taunting the adds in SG HM). Sometimes it makes the camera less jittery (when you’re forced against the wall and thus into first person). I’ve also done a trial in first person before for funsies. It’s definitely a thing you can do but you have to be aware of times you can’t do it… because you have to see the aoes under your feet.

I realize it isn't useable now, which is my point. Queues designed to be played in first person would add a whole new layer and playstyle to the game.
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ethantokes wrote: »
    Soarora wrote: »

I realize it isn't useable now, which is my point. Queues designed to be played in first person would add a whole new layer and playstyle to the game.

They really wouldn't. Barely anyone would play in first person BG or trials/dungeons same as barely anyone is using that feature right now in anything that requires any level of organisation and awerness. Fact that it sounds cool for many people doesn't change a fact most of the people would join said queues few times at best and go back to regular ones. By the same logic soloing vet dungeons sounds cool and challenging but how many people is actually doing that?

Queues would be empty thus awaiting time would be long especially in BGs. It really wouldn't add anything since if You want to play in first person and You claim You've met many people who consider it cool You can already play in first person with them. Literally nothing stops people from playing in first person now but they just don't want to.
    Edited by axi on 6 March 2023 02:32
  • opalcity
    opalcity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only use 1st person for housing, and thieving, I need full situational awareness in fights, so this idea is not for me, sorry.

Also, this:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7627337#Comment_7627337

(editing because I'm on mobile and fluffed the first response, sorry.)
    Edited by opalcity on 5 March 2023 15:30
  • Kisakee
    Kisakee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to your Templar, use Jabs and tell me how neat 1st person is to you again.
    "I don't know who you are, but i will find you and i will rob you." - Liam Thiefsson
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think when talking to people we run with in-game about such matters they see no reason to argue so they will agree.

Recalling previous threads concerning first person vs thrid person most acknowledged they did not use FP because it was challenging to see if you were standing in stupid and such. There is a reason why most major MMORPGs are third person or permit third person.

With that, Zenimax has to decide if an idea they are considering adds to the game and is good for the game. In this matter, a possible long queue time would be deemed bad for the game which we know since Zenimax refuses to have completely separate queues for DM vs random BG matches. That makes it unlikely a niche queue for FP only dungoen running will happen.

• AnduinTryggva
    AnduinTryggva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure if it would be useful to have this as additional queue criteria. It is already pretty difficult finding a crew when doing a vet dungeon that is already a few DLCs away.

Everyone can select FP at will as of now.

Also as dungeon/trial fights are designed right now it is really better in 3P than in 1P view. Some vet fights are really not envisageable without a good overview and even in 3P view can be challenging.

However, what I could imagine is some dedicated dungeon that are designed for 1P view. That is there is very very little or no aoe casted during boss fights and it is more visible what the boss is about to do. Mechanics would be more requiring synergy or pulling levers or such.

If ESO could also impliment directional indicators (for instance a pointer to the sides that point to the lever to pull) this might work much better even.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For years I played first person exclusively, until I read a comment from someone else who had done the same, but had changed to third person. It is truly revolutionary, the game was made to be played in third person, and it is so, so very much easier like that.

To my shame I was enticed by this, I switched, and I've never looked back...

The first question to ask anyone who says the game is too easy... "Do you play in third person?". Along with "Do you bring a companion with you to your fights?".
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • ethantokes
    ethantokes
    ✭✭
    Yeah I know it's made to be third person. I know it is better to play in third person and I know the skills are too flashy in first person, so it blinds you, but if this was CHANGED and first person was attended to, I think the game would be better. There are soooo many people I know in my actual life(anecdotal sure but) like my sister, a couple close friends and work peers who all said they tried the game and didn't like it because it was third person. I think there is more interest in this feature than seems apparent.
  • ethantokes
    ethantokes
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Icy wrote: »
    Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding.

I was also referring to an alliance war queue, so I put it in general, but I get why it's been moved here.