The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Please remove doors from dungeons

Drauz
Drauz
✭✭✭
They bug out way to much. Missed rewards twice today because the stupid doors wouldnt open.
Just make them automatically transport or something but please do something about it.
Edited by ZOS_Icy on 18 February 2023 18:54
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well we can't just let anyone wander in...
  • Ragnarok0130
    Ragnarok0130
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Doors are generally design features that represent different zones each with their own asset count; I don't know if they could remove doors in dungeons for that reason. Any other type of transport mechanism would probably work similar to a door or wayshrine. Without knowing more about the issue you experienced I can only assume that any new transport feature would suffer from the same bug or issue due to requiring interaction with the item. Was the lack of interaction due to being in combat or just hitting the button with no response? What platform are you playing on as I've started experiencing this hitting the interaction button out of combat and getting no response bug sporadically after this week's patch on PCNA.
  • Four_Fingers
    Four_Fingers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had similar problems on PS server, usually a quick roll dodge fixes for me.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found sometimes pets staying in combat can cause the doors to remain locked so I always try dismissing them before giving up. Sometimes crouching will also work at getting through the door.
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just let us do stuff in imaginary combat.

OR

Add one single variable that updates every time you deal or receive damage from/to enemy. If Time Now minus That Variable is more than 10/15/20/whatever - drop combat.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good approach would be to make all the doors open automatically after the associated boss is killed instead of requiring player interaction.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only door, but also something energy barrier has malfunction.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • FluffyReachWitch
    FluffyReachWitch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dungeon doors typically get stuck because of ongoing combat that may not be obvious immediately. There is usually an enemy that cannot get to you, and therefore cannot get leashed back to its starting point. I get this all the time in Tempest Island, and sometimes in Wayrest Sewers II.

The best remedies are to locate the stuck enemies and defeat them if possible, or if you can't reach them (they can get stuck inside the scenery), unsummon any combat pets or companions, and crouch until you are hidden to make the enemies give up. Worst case scenario, log out and log back in, but that depends on your group mates having the patience to wait for you.
    Edited by FluffyReachWitch on 9 September 2022 17:54
  • blacksghost
    blacksghost
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see doors locked until every member of the party is close enough to open them..at least that way some of us might get the chance to reach the end of the dungeon before that racer boys end and quit group. And before anyone says they race because they have done each dungeon many times over, that's fine but it doesn't help with the teamwork ethos, nor does it give those of us that are not optimal players much chance to enjoy the full game.
    Sorry for the rant but this latest undaunted even has just about made me loss all hope in getting through any doors.
    Everything will be alright in the end, if its not alright its not the end.
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They can't remove doors, that might break some dungeons. But we definitely should be able to use doors regardless of being in combat or not.
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ran Stone Garden yesterday with some fine fellows and we couldn't finish it because the door to Arkasis's lab wouldn't open. We weren't in combat. One member had the quest and it directed him to enter the lab, so there were no loose ends from our part.

Why have a door's opening be conditional? Design the dungeon so you can't skip the enemies and bosses, and leave the bloody door unlocked.
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ran Stone Garden yesterday with some fine fellows and we couldn't finish it because the door to Arkasis's lab wouldn't open. We weren't in combat. One member had the quest and it directed him to enter the lab, so there were no loose ends from our part.

Why have a door's opening be conditional? Design the dungeon so you can't skip the enemies and bosses, and leave the bloody door unlocked.

Yah a lot of people wouldn't like it but requiring all enemies to be dead in order to collect loot at the end of the dungeon would solve a few issues (speed runners leaving the rest of the group behind, broken door mechanics since you wouldn't need doors so much anymore).

Would it simply introduce new problems though? Probably.

• Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Yah a lot of people wouldn't like it but requiring all enemies to be dead in order to collect loot at the end of the dungeon would solve a few issues (speed runners leaving the rest of the group behind, broken door mechanics since you wouldn't need doors so much anymore).

Would it simply introduce new problems though? Probably.

I can think of a new problem, which is actually old: that classy enemy who gets stuck in the wall (Cradle of Shadows has had one for years now).
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're talking about Wayrest Sewers, its the skeevers and crocodiles ppl forget to kill. Wish ZOS could remove them so the door won't glitch anymore.
    🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had some problems with Depths of Malatar doors not opening. Blocked us off from completing the dungeon.
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Make the doors destructible that way if they don't open dps can remove the obstacle if the game already considers them stuck in combat should be no issue.
  • Indigogo
    Indigogo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The amount of bugs blocking progress in dungeons is at an all time high.
    Recently I've been soloing them for skill points on a couple of toons.
    Every time I encountered a problem I was not in combat and everything was dead. I tried a bunch of solutions like dead spawning, closing app and porting out.

I had problems in:

Moongrave fane, door blocking progress.

Lair or Maars blight barrier not dropping despite everything dead and blight purged.

Beast Master in blessed crucible not progressing fight

Spindleclutch 2 I couldn't progress after the atro bosses as I would be teleported back via joining encounter in progress. Again, I was solo, not in combat and everything was dead....

Drea Cellar, door stayed locked after killing adds. This happened twice.

Dungeons are just horribly bugged right now, it's not the old in combat so the door won't work problem.
    Edited by Indigogo on 11 September 2022 23:57
  • MaraxusTheOrc
    MaraxusTheOrc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I kind of like the effect doors have on the people who immediately zone into a dungeon and are sprinting to the last boss before anyone else has even zoned in. Slows em down at least momentarily.
  • ForzaRammer
    ForzaRammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or just fix stuck in combat
  • doabhi
    doabhi
    ✭✭✭
    So instead of doors tying things together in most cases, you'd rather walk through an empty asset-less void to get to the other part of the map, or worse, have to watch and wait as part of the map loads in ahead of you? Doors are not just there for decoration in game design, sometimes they are there as a way to tie large areas together without consuming huge amounts of resources having to render everything in one go and serve as a means to provide a visual transition between areas as they load in and out. They're also there to stop people breeze-farming chests which kinda ruins the game for others who actually want to play.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doors are generally design features that represent different zones each with their own asset count; I don't know if they could remove doors in dungeons for that reason. Any other type of transport mechanism would probably work similar to a door or wayshrine. Without knowing more about the issue you experienced I can only assume that any new transport feature would suffer from the same bug or issue due to requiring interaction with the item. Was the lack of interaction due to being in combat or just hitting the button with no response? What platform are you playing on as I've started experiencing this hitting the interaction button out of combat and getting no response bug sporadically after this week's patch on PCNA.

This is my thinking too. I learned a few years ago that developers don't put doors in games without good reason because they are famously complicated (fun fact: none of the early Assassins Creed games had doors you could open, for exactly this reason).

No really, Google 'video game doors' and see what comes up. Or just check out one of my favourite articles on game design: The Door Problem by Liz England.

I think a lot of the doors in dungeons are functionally portals - the area on the other side of the door isn't really behind it but somewhere else entirely. Like how the interior of many buildings in cities are actually deep underground which is why quest markers pointing you inside will be tagged with (below) even if you actually have to go upstairs once you're inside.

So they couldn't simply remove the door without redesigning (probably rebuilding) the entire dungeon to join the areas up directly, and that might cause other problems with how much has to be loaded at once, effects that are only supposed to be in one area, enemy triggers etc.

Another fix is probably both simpler and more likely to be effective, like changing the requirements for players to be allowed through to something like 1 specific boss being dead and the whole group being close by (so names in the party UI aren't greyed out), and letting us through even if we're still in combat.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • doabhi
    doabhi
    ✭✭✭
    agreed, the proper fix would be to actually re-work the whole 'in combat' criteria. I've never understood functionally why we can't open a door or mount up when "In combat" most of the time it feels arbitrary and pointless and in most of those cases serves as a needless hindrance rather than a valuable mechanic.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Dungeons, Trials & Arenas section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Blood_again
    Blood_again
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I can remember, we can open any overland door even in combat, if we weren't hit by anyone for 10 or 15 seconds. That's the basic thing a newbie should know before stealing in the Wayrest castle.

Why can't dungeon/trial doors work the same way? Why any crocodile in the Wayrest sewers has power to ban you from entering the Pelingar's shelter being for hundred meters out of you?

I guess the same is possible for using a mount or wearing a gear. Let it be 30 or 60 seconds instead of 10, but please let people use their horse instead of running wild for a half an hour. We have it working for overland doors, so it is possible, isn't it?
    Edited by Blood_again on 10 March 2023 01:20