The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

POLL:Do you think they should add a party finder tool?

• wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other.
    Zos can't get the existing group finder to work so....
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, i believe ESO would benefit greatly from it.
    Party finder is not the same as a group finder. Party finder allows the player to select an activity and create a listing with parameters defined by the player. Other players can browse the party finder listings and if they find a group posted for something they want to participate in they can then be manually added to the group by the group leader. It is not another random queue group finder as some seem to be inferring.
  • EozZoe1989
    EozZoe1989
    ✭✭✭
    2023 CROSSPLAY PLEASE LOL ignore all the no.s we need this all of do..
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    Trials people will debate on it....but dragons, lava vents, roaming bosses, gsyers there's no reason why there isn't one

@FeedbackOnly

There used to be a party finder according to my guildmates. It permitted finding groups for doing content in a given zone and for grouping in Cyrodiil. They told me it was not used so after a few years it was removed.

I just did some searching and found an article from long ago with the image I have linked below showing there was the ability to form groups for doing world (zone) content. So my guildmate's comments seem spot on.

tt981cm1dwar.jpg

i think a grouping tool like that would be much more beneficial now than before

the very early game the only "big group" thing realistically was cyrodiil (and then IC after the first year), it was almost 2 years into the game before we got the first trials (craglorn)

now there are a lot more options for larger groups outside of cyro such as dragons and harrowstorms which would benefit from something like what is in the screenshot (i think the UI would need to be updated to fit the current game but that seems to be basically exactly what the OP is looking for)

Going on 7 years playing ESO. I have never seen one for PvE zone. There was a pvp one though that was way broken

Also if one existed then it highly likely broken. The group finder in early years was truly not functioning often.
    Edited by FeedbackOnly on 29 April 2022 21:16
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trials people will debate on it....but dragons, lava vents, roaming bosses, gsyers there's no reason why there isn't one

@FeedbackOnly

There used to be a party finder according to my guildmates. It permitted finding groups for doing content in a given zone and for grouping in Cyrodiil. They told me it was not used so after a few years it was removed.

I just did some searching and found an article from long ago with the image I have linked below showing there was the ability to form groups for doing world (zone) content. So my guildmate's comments seem spot on.

tt981cm1dwar.jpg

the very early game the only "big group" thing realistically was cyrodiil (and then IC after the first year), it was almost 2 years into the game before we got the first trials (craglorn)

now there are a lot more options for larger groups outside of cyro such as dragons and harrowstorms which would benefit from something like what is in the screenshot (i think the UI would need to be updated to fit the current game but that seems to be basically exactly what the OP is looking for)

Going on 7 years playing ESO. I have never seen one for PvE zone. There was a pvp one though that was way broken

Also if one existed then it highly likely broken. The group finder in early years was truly not functioning often.

i remember that, i didnt even use the forums back then but the first year or 2 of the game the dungeon finder not working was almost a meme, thats why i didnt even do any dungeons until i was almost at level cap already

i also remember there was a grouping tool for AVA, but it was weird, like it already required you to be in cyrodiil for it to work, which made no sense to me and i dont think anyone ended up using it
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other.
    I am a bit indifferent. I don't think it would be used. Didn't they have to remove Cyrodiil from activity finder for exactly that reason or am I imagining that? I feel like most people would just ask their guilds and not use it. But if they did decide to add it, it wouldn't bother me at all and I might even try it out.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 29 April 2022 23:40
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, i do not think it is needed.
    Mixalis966 wrote: »
    1. No because it would add load to the severs and the biggest thing Zenimax can do is reduce that load so we get to experience decent game performance. This is the reason it is not likely to get consideration at this time as Zenimax has expressed they will be extremely cautious about adding new systems until performance is improved.

2. It is not needed. We have five guild slots. It may take some searching but finding at least one good active guild for getting into groups and forming them. There are active raiding guilds, RP guilds, and more to reach everyone's interest. I kissed a few frogs until I found the guild I enjoy the most and it has paid off as I get much more out of the game there than I could with random strangers. This is something I suggest everyone do until they find the guild that meets their wants and needs in the game.

Good luck. I do not care one way or another, outside of the performance of the game, but just do not see a need for it.

I do not have any intetion of arguing with you or turn this thread into an argument and risk getting it closed again but since you pointed out some things i would like to answer.

1)How much load would it add to the server exactly ?I suppose you have the technical background to lead you to the conclusion that it would affect the "decent" game performance to the point that they cannot add such a feature(even though most mmos have something similar).

2)When you say it is not needed it is your personal opinion and it is respected.I could argue it is something much needed but this was the point of the poll.We talked extensively in other posts why having guilds doesn't help much for availability and visibility issues.You say " i kissed some frogs until i found the guild" and i would like to ask you if you think that every player has to go through such process till he can find a good team?Should this be the norm?

@FeedbackOnly

tt981cm1dwar.jpg

We are discussing something different than what you mentioned above but i suppose you posted that to answer a comment and not to what this poll is about.The above seems to function like the current dungeon finder but includes more content.It is obvious that in 2014 there was a lot less content than there is now and the playerbase was a lot smaller than now(roughly 2k peak players according to steam charts,dunno how many from other sources).

Please take a moment and think not only how you would face looking for group in ESO but also the rest of the community.Aren't new players discouraged by all this?ESO's competitors all offer a smoother experience in group finding.ESO for me has better lore,music,gameplay,dungeons,immersion,environents and many more i could go on but why should it stay behind in QoL upgrades such as this?

I do not say all this to spark any argument and see who is right and who is wrong,i rather identify where we agree/disagree and then the developers can take the feedback and decide how they want to move forward.

Cheers :smile:

1. I lack the capability to determine the exact load this new system would place on the server. I can only tell you it would in fact place a load on the server and that Zenimax has stated their reluctance to add new systems to the game until they get the game's performance resolved.

2. Of course it is my personal opinion this is not needed. All anyone can provide to this thread is their opinion concerning the suggestion. Mine is based on the fact we do have a group finder for dungeons and have access to 5 guilds that are a great source for finding people to party with when taking the time to find good guilds to run with.

I would add that with the toxicity witnessed in ESO, greater than any game I have ever played that it would be wise and prudent for Zenimax to consider if adding such a tool that would play into the toxicity would be good for the game. We already have a group finder for forming parties and every day those who have more specific requirements easily form their own group.

*This is if people can put in specific requirements for what type of player they are looking for. If it does not include such a feature than it is much less of an issue.

3. To the second post of mine quoted, the person I replied to was specifically talking about a zone grouping tool exactly like I presented. They specifically were speaking to grouping for zone activities which is why I provided that historic information.
    Edited by Amottica on 30 April 2022 00:09
  • Iron_Warrior
    Iron_Warrior
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We absolutely need a party finder. With dungeon finder you can't expect to randomly find a group that wants to do a trifecta. And guilds are not a real solution. Not everybody has the luxury of playing during prime time when the guilds are crowded. Different work scheludes and time zones exist. When i play the game there are very few people online in my guilds so i need to have access to all of the server if i want to form a group. This also can help folks to find trial groups instead of spamming craglorn chat.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Very similar to GW2 group tool, best lfg/lfm system I have used.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

@FeedbackOnly

tt981cm1dwar.jpg

i remember that, i didnt even use the forums back then but the first year or 2 of the game the dungeon finder not working was almost a meme, thats why i didnt even do any dungeons until i was almost at level cap already

i also remember there was a grouping tool for AVA, but it was weird, like it already required you to be in cyrodiil for it to work, which made no sense to me and i dont think anyone ended up using it

Dungeons finally got stable and mostly working at Dark Brotherhood update.

Cyrodiil one never worked. Did a few tests with and nobody could group together.
  • Cooperharley
    Cooperharley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's so funny reading these "no" comments and reasons. Its just another modality for grouping up, but specifies group conditions more readily. It's not replacing the queue or social interactions fully and will actually help players who aren't in 5 guilds with 30+ friends playing at all times.

It'll also allow for activities like challenger dungeon runs to be done with a specific type of group rather than random queueing and hoping for the best (if you're not in a guild that does it already). It's also better than traveling to 5+ zones to spam chat looking for a group. I dont understand how you could say you actively don't want it lol
  • LesserCircle
    LesserCircle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes we need this and to anyone saying it would increase server load or lag, why are we getting new servers without an increase of performance? Why do we need to deal with that when other games work perfectly and have much more complex systems? Are they using magic?

I expect more from ZOS and I will never stop asking about QOL things that we need. We are customers, I don't understand why gamers are always treated like second class, we pay for the game, for a sub and for chapters.

We asks for new functions and if they have a negative effect on performance.. well, just fix it. That isn't my job.
  • Mixalis966
    Mixalis966
    ✭✭✭
    We absolutely need a party finder. With dungeon finder you can't expect to randomly find a group that wants to do a trifecta. And guilds are not a real solution. Not everybody has the luxury of playing during prime time when the guilds are crowded. Different work scheludes and time zones exist. When i play the game there are very few people online in my guilds so i need to have access to all of the server if i want to form a group. This also can help folks to find trial groups instead of spamming craglorn chat.

I can relate because i play late hours and in prime time im usually out of my home.The game is unplayable if you cannot find other people to play.In numerous occasions i had to log out because i couldnt group.I was tping in craglorn/stormhaven/grahtwood mournhold and spamming in all guilds to get people to join,i was even lfging in alcast's discord channel even before they added lfg channels.If 1 person joins then you need to find 2 more and you must continue to circle spamm zones to find the rest and hope the person who already joined won't get bored and leave.

If a party finder existed i would post my lobby with the content i wanted to do and in the meantime i could search for antiquities,quest,dailies and do something better than tp and watch loading screens.I did not count how many times i got stuck into endless loading screen and had to relog but yes that was a thing(dunno if it is fixed now).The times i failed to group i was always wondering if there were people that wanted to do the same things as me but they just didn't see my messages.At least if we had a tool like a party finder and i still didn't manage to find group i would know there was no way to group as there were no available people online server wide.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not without being told first what they would remove from the game in order to accommodate the data storage involved.
  • Mixalis966
    Mixalis966
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Not without being told first what they would remove from the game in order to accommodate the data storage involved.

You went ahead and assumed they will remove something from the game in order to bring us a basic grouping tool...Then you voted no because you need to be told what they will remove in place of the party finder.Im out of words,truly.At this point I do not wanna argue anymore i just hope someone from ZOS will step up and make it happen.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other.
    Tandor wrote: »

You went ahead and assumed they will remove something from the game in order to bring us a basic grouping tool...Then you voted no because you need to be told what they will remove in place of the party finder.Im out of words,truly.At this point I do not wanna argue anymore i just hope someone from ZOS will step up and make it happen.

I think this is fair given what happened with AWA. I wouldn't be surprised if a new party finder replaced the activity finder, for example.
  • Mixalis966
    Mixalis966
    ✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    I think this is fair given what happened with AWA. I wouldn't be surprised if a new party finder replaced the activity finder, for example.

Please try and grasp the idea that this is an added feature that doesn't take anything away from the game.No they don't need to remove current dungeon finder,yes you can still lfg in zones,yes you can still lfg in your guilds.This is a basic feature that exists in most mmos and should have been implemented years ago.I am trying to give the devs constructive feedback and i cannot understand why some people have to invent obstacles that do not exist.

I respect your opinion that you do not care if it is added or not and that some people ignore the social aspect of eso and play mostly solo even if it is a mmorpg.That said i do not think it is beneficial that people can imagine a technical issue that they do not comprehend and present it as an argument for not adding a party finder.
    Edited by Mixalis966 on 3 May 2022 20:48
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes we need this and to anyone saying it would increase server load or lag, why are we getting new servers without an increase of performance? Why do we need to deal with that when other games work perfectly and have much more complex systems? Are they using magic?

I expect more from ZOS and I will never stop asking about QOL things that we need. We are customers, I don't understand why gamers are always treated like second class, we pay for the game, for a sub and for chapters.

We asks for new functions and if they have a negative effect on performance.. well, just fix it. That isn't my job.

Card game got it's own match making so guess it wasn't that bad of load
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Other.
    Not an issue for me but
    I can see a need, & other games where it does work,
    but ...

Edited by Gythral on 4 May 2022 11:09
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd lean towards no at this point.

My experience with improved grouping functions is that they tend to produce worse behavior and can ram into issues with population distribution.

I'm not sure the lack of a party finder tool is causing enough of an issues to merit ramming into those issues.

Maybe in some individual categories it might be worth consideration but, overall is likely pushing it.

You also can run into issues of timing when you implement a system post launch.

The primary people that will be hopping into a party finder tool at this point are people that are having troubles finding parties under the current structure of the game. You'll likely find in some cases that is happening for a reason.

What's the harm in a group finder for dragons? Most of us can't solo them but a couple more people would make North Elseweyr dragons actually be fought more ...

I play on the most dead time zone pupulation-wise (east coast Australia) on NA on Playstation (EU is WAY more busy in my evenings as it's morning over in the EU, but NA is more stable and where my friends play, so...) and never had any problems with getting a couple people together for fighting dragons when I was farming them for the achievements earlier this year.

I found if I started one people would turn up, if somehow I needed a few more a single call out in zone chat and I got the help. It certainly wasn't a thing I found you'd need a whole new group finder system for.

A couple of times I even put in the chat I was doing the quest and if anyone wanted to group up to x up and got groups that way. Probably out of the whole achievement run I had maybe three dragons that took a looooong time because it was me and a group of adorable, trying very hard to help and not die to wing slaps bless their souls, baby toons. And even that wasn't a bother because it was fun playing with them & keeping them alive.

So no, I don't think it's needed, as this stuff can be done through zone chat, BUT that said I can see why people would like it and I don't see the harm in it if they DID introduce it. I wouldn't care for it including bgs and dungeons tho, as they already have grouping tools, or trials because holy cow there's enough complaints about poor GF dungeon compositions, can you imagine with a trial finder situation?

On the other hand, grouping up a bunch of randoms to go and stomp all the world bosses in a zone, or go on a skyshard hunt, y'know, something like that that which would normally be organised in guilds or something but in this case could be just joined up by a bunch of randoms in the zone, that would fun and definitely be helpful for newer players/baby toons/people who don't have guilds or aren't able to do time-specific things, but could jump on a spontaneous group doing x thing in that zone.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    renne wrote: »
    I'd lean towards no at this point.

My experience with improved grouping functions is that they tend to produce worse behavior and can ram into issues with population distribution.

I'm not sure the lack of a party finder tool is causing enough of an issues to merit ramming into those issues.

Maybe in some individual categories it might be worth consideration but, overall is likely pushing it.

You also can run into issues of timing when you implement a system post launch.

The primary people that will be hopping into a party finder tool at this point are people that are having troubles finding parties under the current structure of the game. You'll likely find in some cases that is happening for a reason.

What's the harm in a group finder for dragons? Most of us can't solo them but a couple more people would make North Elseweyr dragons actually be fought more ...

I play on the most dead time zone pupulation-wise (east coast Australia) on NA on Playstation (EU is WAY more busy in my evenings as it's morning over in the EU, but NA is more stable and where my friends play, so...) and never had any problems with getting a couple people together for fighting dragons when I was farming them for the achievements earlier this year.

I found if I started one people would turn up, if somehow I needed a few more a single call out in zone chat and I got the help. It certainly wasn't a thing I found you'd need a whole new group finder system for.

A couple of times I even put in the chat I was doing the quest and if anyone wanted to group up to x up and got groups that way. Probably out of the whole achievement run I had maybe three dragons that took a looooong time because it was me and a group of adorable, trying very hard to help and not die to wing slaps bless their souls, baby toons. And even that wasn't a bother because it was fun playing with them & keeping them alive.

So no, I don't think it's needed, as this stuff can be done through zone chat, BUT that said I can see why people would like it and I don't see the harm in it if they DID introduce it. I wouldn't care for it including bgs and dungeons tho, as they already have grouping tools, or trials because holy cow there's enough complaints about poor GF dungeon compositions, can you imagine with a trial finder situation?

On the other hand, grouping up a bunch of randoms to go and stomp all the world bosses in a zone, or go on a skyshard hunt, y'know, something like that that which would normally be organised in guilds or something but in this case could be just joined up by a bunch of randoms in the zone, that would fun and definitely be helpful for newer players/baby toons/people who don't have guilds or aren't able to do time-specific things, but could jump on a spontaneous group doing x thing in that zone.

Group finder works fine majority of the time.
  • Sjestenka
    Sjestenka
    ✭✭✭
    roleplay party finder with needed roles sounds like lotta fun. I know i'd use it
  • Mixalis966
    Mixalis966
    ✭✭✭

There is no reason to limit party finder into just one activity.It should exist so you can find people easier for any content,be it fishing,trials,trifecta,world events and anything you can think of.It will never be worse than groups formed via craglorn lfg because you can still request people to be exp and link achievement.I have so many achievements i want to do but i need to lfg and spam my guilds 24/7.The idea that we need to lfg in zones,especially new players should never have been accepted by the community.ESO players deserve a better lfg experience and our time should be respected and not wasted into loading screens between zones.
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There is no reason to limit party finder into just one activity.It should exist so you can find people easier for any content,be it fishing,trials,trifecta,world events and anything you can think of.It will never be worse than groups formed via craglorn lfg because you can still request people to be exp and link achievement.I have so many achievements i want to do but i need to lfg and spam my guilds 24/7.The idea that we need to lfg in zones,especially new players should never have been accepted by the community.ESO players deserve a better lfg experience and our time should be respected and not wasted into loading screens between zones.

There's already a GF for dungeons and BGs, it's not necessary for another one to be for everything and also them, because it'd split the queues.
  • Lazuli
    Lazuli
    ✭✭✭
    Thos would an amazing idea, especially to be able to tackle down some achievements or help people out in ones.
  • AinSoph
    AinSoph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AinSoph wrote: »
    I wholly believe random queue should not be by itself anymore.

I felt an itch leaving a vague comment like this without explaining anything on such an important topic so I will now. This game has existed for 8+ years and the players in the game have evolved to have many different goals for them. Some people want to speedrun for transmutes, some want to slow down and read the story, some want to get all possible achievements for the dung, and some want to fill out the sticker book of the dung so why not add a tool for people to specifically state their intentions for doing so? If people think they have to remove a feature to add a feature, then that's just subtle but unintentional gaslighting on ZOS's part. If people think this will split the queue, then let it split because it's better to have people with common goals do what they do efficiently rather than have potential stress and headache because of many conflicting interests, and for those saying it'll affect performance, that doesn't fall on us to decide anyways.

For the Zone chat/Guild arguments, let's be honest here in Zone chat you still don't know who you're paring with other than you want to do the same dungeon (which is basically a zone random queue like crag pugs) and Guilds are mainly gatherings of people who don't speak because either they're already doing group activities or doing overland which requires no thought processes. I'm aware there are Social Guilds out there but I'm gonna be realistic and say I don't like socializing out of group content and only when it's necessary. These are my 2 cents that probably don't matter but I had to let it out somehow.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

We can do small safe test cases first. See what happens when you make a match making system with world events
  • Mixalis966
    Mixalis966
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

<3
    We can do small safe test cases first. See what happens when you make a match making system with world events

Anything will help at this point,be it a party finder like lost ark's or a server wide lfg chat.
    AinSoph wrote: »
    I wholly believe random queue should not be by itself anymore.
    These are my 2 cents that probably don't matter but I had to let it out somehow.

I agree with you.Every opinion matters,perhaps if more people started saying their opinion the game would be in a better state.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 8 May 2022 15:43
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

We have recently removed some unnecessary back and forth from this thread. This is a reminder to keep the discussion civil and constructive. Please keep our Community Rules in mind moving forward.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 8 May 2022 15:45
    Staff Post
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sjestenka wrote: »
    roleplay party finder with needed roles sounds like lotta fun. I know i'd use it

How would you design a system for it? Would it be like a bulletin board posting.

Saying like party in riften happening right now or going something more in depth?