The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why ESO needs a token system

• alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    some time ago I needed Draugr Hulk great sword and it took me ONLY 104 runs. No joke. Despite being able to often find chests, it took me way to long than it is necessary. Some kind of token system should be introduced.
    Funny thing is that IC dungeons actually have something like that. You have trophy vaults that you can open with special currency (key stones). Also thos "key stones" are tradeable so you could technically "buy" dungeon gear with gold. Other, simpler way would be to simply make all gear in eso tradeable.

That is the difference between a guaranteed drop and a drop that is not guaranteed.

It seems obvious to me that the ESO designers wanted a system where the drops in question were not guaranteed. Instead, roughly half the people would eventually get it in the first "X" attempt while the other half would not. Thus, some number of people attempting would never get the drop. That is RNG.

The token systems tend to be guarantee, in so far as the currency used to buy them does not drop randomly and cannot be shared.

That is a fundamental entitlement issue. Is the player entitled to that drop, and thus the drop should be guaranteed?

Well... considering that there are raid-groups that DEMAND members to wear certain sets, it is very hard to argue that someone is not "entitled" to find a specific drop, seeing as that could lead to being essentially kicked from a group. Now I hope most raid-groups are not THAT obstinate, but considering the toxicity I have seen and heard, I really wouldn't be surprised. :-/

If there wasn't such a hard-drawn META-line, it would be less of an issue, I think.
  • Lephrel
    Lephrel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lephrel wrote: »
    Generally, drop chances are a very interesting topic imo. Has it ever actually been confirmed that item drops are statistically independent events? And do all weapon and armour types share the same drop chances? Intuitively, this should be the case, but some players are convinced that there dark and mysterious forces at play when it comes to item drops. I once got five 1hs drops in a row from vma (including reward mails), that totally freaked me out. ^^

No one really knows how the RNG works in this game. They love the concept, and people can sometimes spend an inordinate amount of time fiddling with things they love. At this point, the RNG could be weighted by a number of different criteria. They may even have a trivial task to change it that can be done at any time, or even managed by some automated tool that monitors actual vs planned drops.

Personally, I think it is "random" in name only. :smile:

@Elsonso Yeah, you may well be right. I can totally see ZOS playing around with the fate of us mortals by periodically changing drop chances.^^

And, as far as I know, you are right, drops are definitely not random. In video games they usually use algorithms to generate "pseudorandom numbers", the result is a sequence of seemingly random numbers, but they are all predetermined. To generate "real random numbers", people use weird entropy sources like popcorn machines, avalanches etc. Really interesting stuff, but you'd probably need a degree in physics to even begin to understand that stuff. :sweat_smile:
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nastassiya wrote: »
    sarahthes wrote: »
    The main reason I take issue with the grind is that dungeon, trial, and arena gear is the only gear that is gated in this way. Overland gear and PvP gear can be purchased from coffers using tokens.

Why is group content gear gated this way?

To keep the world populated by requiring you to log on and do stuff. The longer you play means more money for the ZOS. I'm an ESO plus player. I've spent more crowns that I want to add up. If this world wasn't populated by players, even free 2 play players, I wouldn't be here. A lot of people wouldn't want to log into an empty world. This mmo would die.

You don't need a staff on day 1, nor a kilt, or to insta class change. The game needs people running around collecting lore books, shards, leads, and dungeons. That keeps the world alive and people logging on to play so ZOS can make money and keep developing this world.

But see, my time is valuable. I don't have time to run around doing that stuff; forced grind doesn't work on me. I waited 2 weeks for the kilt lead and got it on my first node. I have insanely good luck typically.

I will not grind for gear or leads or anything else, it literally ruins my enjoyment of the game. I would like to be able to buy coffers to get the gear I want. If they had a guaranteed medusa weapons coffer that you could only buy with tokens earned from completing Arx? Then I would run Arx. Until then, I'll just use MS, which I could buy from coffers in cyrodiil (if I didn't already have it). The likelihood of finding me in a base game dungeon at this stage in my ESO career is actually nil. I won't even do it for transmutes. I'd rather PvP for those and I'm bad at PvP.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Masel wrote: »
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    Maybe just do the content with friends and trade gear drops?

If you watched the video, you'd know that that argument doesn't cut it.

You have friends that spend hours just to get you the item without any benefit for themselves? Great for you. That doesn't apply to everyone else, which is why on both EU and NA, queuing for Arx gets you into groups that are pretty much guaranteed to include farmers that want the same item as you do. A system that requires you to have other people spend time for you is a bad one. And you're still not guaranteed to get it in a reasonable amount of time, even with 4 people. Keep in mind that usually, everyone in a farming group looks for the same item, so strictly speaking, you'd just have to beat the chance 4 times.

You also didn't watch the video, because I talk about exactly that in there as well.

I am at work. I can sneak in these texts but I can’t stop and watch YouTube videos.

I kind of get that people may not have a friends list for this stuff. But if you are just a solo player do people really need bis gear then? Is a craftable that gets a player close good enough for nearly all solo play?

The only players I see really impacted by this are solo pvp players. But have you considered that forming groups to get the harder/rarer gear is part of the design of the gears rarity?

Maybe having an easier time to get gear by trading is a subtle reward for “organized” play.
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love it when people throw the "it populates the world" when these are meant for dungeons (already populated through the group finder) and "you shouldn't get this day one" when no one is saying that they should get it on day one.
  • zelaminator
    zelaminator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If one game forces you to spend a lot of time without any reward

The game forced you to do absolutely nothing.. You, yourself, have chosen to grind for a staff that is not NEEDED, and it also gave you plenty of rewards.. You've gotten gold, gear and experience to match the time you'veput into it
  • Nastassiya
    Nastassiya
    ✭✭✭
    Sephyr wrote: »
    I love it when people throw the "it populates the world" when these are meant for dungeons (already populated through the group finder) and "you shouldn't get this day one" when no one is saying that they should get it on day one.

Yes, and that's the purpose of the random dungeon finder, to keep that system populated and reward people with exp, to queue with it. And yes, people are basically saying they want it a lot quicker than 70 runs. No one here said "I want to run it 50 times!
    But see, my time is valuable. I don't have time to run around doing that stuff; forced grind doesn't work on me. I waited 2 weeks for the kilt lead and got it on my first node. I have insanely good luck typically. I will not grind for gear or leads or anything else, it literally ruins my enjoyment of the game.

Like this person above just wrote out. They pretty much want instant gratification. "I will not grind for gear"
  • Ascarl
    Ascarl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually I am not in favor of a token system. I however agreee that weapons are underreprestented in the RNG. I would add some more weapon drops as a better solution however.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    If one game forces you to spend a lot of time without any reward

The game forced you to do absolutely nothing.. You, yourself, have chosen to grind for a staff that is not NEEDED, and it also gave you plenty of rewards.. You've gotten gold, gear and experience to match the time you'veput into it

Your argument here includes several assumptions.

First, because you think the rewards for the time invested are adequate, that doesn't mean that other people do the same. People that desire a particular item usually don't care about the experience, gold or any other item than the one they want.

Second, you're implying that just because you think that these items aren't needed or desirable, there is no problem to solve.

There are people in this game who take fun out of theorycrafting and testing. People who make build guides need to farm these items so they can test different options.

For them, this is a problem that very much needs fixing.

And again: in what way does it hurt you? I just don't know how you can be against something that doesn't hurt anyone.

Your argumentation seems pretty selfish to me.
    Maybe just do the content with friends and trade gear drops?

If you watched the video, you'd know that that argument doesn't cut it.

You have friends that spend hours just to get you the item without any benefit for themselves? Great for you. That doesn't apply to everyone else, which is why on both EU and NA, queuing for Arx gets you into groups that are pretty much guaranteed to include farmers that want the same item as you do. A system that requires you to have other people spend time for you is a bad one. And you're still not guaranteed to get it in a reasonable amount of time, even with 4 people. Keep in mind that usually, everyone in a farming group looks for the same item, so strictly speaking, you'd just have to beat the chance 4 times.

You also didn't watch the video, because I talk about exactly that in there as well.

I am at work. I can sneak in these texts but I can’t stop and watch YouTube videos.

I kind of get that people may not have a friends list for this stuff. But if you are just a solo player do people really need bis gear then? Is a craftable that gets a player close good enough for nearly all solo play?

The only players I see really impacted by this are solo pvp players. But have you considered that forming groups to get the harder/rarer gear is part of the design of the gears rarity?

Maybe having an easier time to get gear by trading is a subtle reward for “organized” play.

I am an endgame raider and could ask friends to help me, but I don't want to have to force other people to spend time just for me.

Yes, and that's the purpose of the random dungeon finder, to keep that system populated and reward people with exp, to queue with it. And yes, people are basically saying they want it a lot quicker than 70 runs. No one here said "I want to run it 50 times!
    But see, my time is valuable. I don't have time to run around doing that stuff; forced grind doesn't work on me. I waited 2 weeks for the kilt lead and got it on my first node. I have insanely good luck typically. I will not grind for gear or leads or anything else, it literally ruins my enjoyment of the game.

Like this person above just wrote out. They pretty much want instant gratification. "I will not grind for gear"

I don't want instant gratification.

I just want certainty that at some point, there will be gratification. So I could work at it a little bit per day for example. It could take a month with 2 runs per day, I don't care.
    Edited by Masel on 22 June 2021 16:56
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't want instant gratification.

I just want certainty that at some point, there will be gratification. So I could work at it a little bit per day for example. It could take a month with 2 runs per day, I don't care.

None of us are wanting instant gratification and I just find it hilarious that people think token systems are somehow going to be a "day one" thing. I don't want it day one and it's bold of them to assume that from my statements when none have indicated as such.

Be that as it may though, it'd be nice if they either implemented a token system or started putting weapons and gear that wasn't jewelry or Monster Sets onto the Golden vendor. I'd take either at this point.
  • zelaminator
    zelaminator
    ✭✭✭✭✭

First, because you think the rewards for the time invested are adequate, that doesn't mean that other people do the same. People that desire a particular item usually don't care about the experience, gold or any other item than the one they want.

Second, you're implying that just because you think that these items aren't needed or desirable, there is no problem to solve.

There are people in this game who take fun out of theorycrafting and testing. People who make build guides need to farm these items so they can test different options.

And again: in what way does it hurt you? I just don't know how you can be against something that doesn't hurt anyone.

You call my words, assumptions? I call yours lies then, if we play that game.. Don't confuse my opinion with assumptions.. I think the rewards are adequate for what you do, even though you might be unhappy.. And yes, I say that the item is not needed, because it is not needed.. It's desired by you, fine, but not needed.. What you do for fun, is up to you, it makes no difference to what I am saying.. What build guides feel the need to do, makes no difference either.. You CHOOSE what you want to do, no once forces you.. You're free to call me selfish, I don't care one bit.. I've got the right to express my opinion, just like everyone else.. And my opinion is that such a system that you clamor for, is not needed in this game

• CyberOnEso
    CyberOnEso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The idea of using the undaunted keys to buy specific dungeon drops is frankly a stroke of genius. It encourages people to do all dungeons rather than just one specific dungeon over and over which promotes much more engaging gameplay.

Due to the nature of undaunted keys it also encourages players to beat the dungeons on the harder difficulties rather than just blasting through them at fast as possible on normal with 4 dd's. I think the nature of undaunted keys promotes a much more healthy system than encouraging players to blast through dungeons on normal for gear.

Since you can only get so many keys per day it encourages players to not get burned out due to grinding but rather introduces an incentive for regularly playing dungeons each day rather than burning out on them in a single session.

Since the introduction of the item set collection system, undaunted keys tend to the point of becoming useless since you can have every monster shoulder in your set collection. This would add a new much-needed use for them and encourage players who haven't done pledges in years to run them again. Which I think is great overall for the game. Pledges are a great system that encourages players to do every dungeon and in my opinion, should be encouraged as much as possible.

It would also introduce no additional server load/ storage requirement. It thematically fits and, in my opinion, would be a perfectly intuitive system.

@ZOS_RobGarrett Please consider it.
    Edited by CyberOnEso on 22 June 2021 17:39
    @CyberOnEso PC | EU - Jack of all Trades - Armory Style Manager Planesbreaker | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
  • Nastassiya
    Nastassiya
    ✭✭✭
    None of us are wanting instant gratification and I just find it hilarious that people think token systems are somehow going to be a "day one" thing. I don't want it day one and it's bold of them to assume that from my statements when none have indicated as such.

Be that as it may though, it'd be nice if they either implemented a token system or started putting weapons and gear that wasn't jewelry or Monster Sets onto the Golden vendor. I'd take either at this point.

But a lot of the people here act as if ZOS has no idea what drop rate they set. If they wanted people to get it quicker then they would change that variable. It's not like the Medusa staves have not been out for only a week. They are very much aware since so many people complain about it. It's an amazing staff that people carry on and continue to use with end game content. People are asking for a fix so they can get their gear easier and it's not meant to be like that. This is a design built with purpose. It's just a simple variable.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative

You call my words, assumptions? I call yours lies then, if we play that game.. Don't confuse my opinion with assumptions.. I think the rewards are adequate for what you do, even though you might be unhappy.. And yes, I say that the item is not needed, because it is not needed.. It's desired by you, fine, but not needed.. What you do for fun, is up to you, it makes no difference to what I am saying.. What build guides feel the need to do, makes no difference either.. You CHOOSE what you want to do, no once forces you.. You're free to call me selfish, I don't care one bit.. I've got the right to express my opinion, just like everyone else.. And my opinion is that such a system that you clamor for, is not needed in this game

You can voice your opinion as you want sure, but you can't expect everyone to agree with what you say :wink:

Again, you didn't answer the main question I asked: how would the token system hurt you?

If it doesn't hurt you (and I assume it doesnt), why do you feel the need to say that it isn't needed?

If it solves a problem for a part of the playerbase and doesn't impact you negatively, I don't understand how you can be against it.
    Edited by Masel on 22 June 2021 17:58
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can voice your opinion as you want sure, but you can't expect everyone to agree with what you say :wink:

Again, you didn't answer the main question I asked: how would the token system hurt you?

If it doesn't hurt you (which I assume it doesnt), why do you feel the need to say that it isn't needed?

If it solves a problem for a part of the playerbase and doesn't impact you negatively, I don't understand how you can be against it.

This, tbh.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    CyberOnEso wrote: »
    The idea of using the undaunted keys to buy specific dungeon drops is frankly a stroke of genius. It encourages people to do all dungeons rather than just one specific dungeon over and over which promotes much more engaging gameplay.

Due to the nature of undaunted keys it also encourages players to beat the dungeons on the harder difficulties rather than just blasting through them at fast as possible on normal with 4 dd's. I think the nature of undaunted keys promotes a much more healthy system than encouraging players to blast through dungeons on normal for gear.

Since you can only get so many keys per day it encourages players to not get burned out due to grinding but rather introduces an incentive for regularly playing dungeons each day rather than burning out on them in a single session.

Since the introduction of the item set collection system, undaunted keys tend to the point of becoming useless since you can have every monster shoulder in your set collection. This would add a new much-needed use for them and encourage players who haven't done pledges in years to run them again. Which I think is great overall for the game. Pledges are a great system that encourages players to do every dungeon and in my opinion, should be encouraged as much as possible.

It would also introduce no additional server load/ storage requirement. It thematically fits and, in my opinion, would be a perfectly intuitive system.

That's why I emphasised the undaunted system here. It's already there, so the only thing they need to do is put in a vendor that sells set weapons for a certain amount of keys.

I wouldn't put all set items on there, because then there would be no reason to run specific dungeons anymore.

So armor & jewelery would stay as is, for weapons you can either rely on rng or just slowly work your way towards the thing you desire.

I really don't see how anyone can see harm in this.
    Edited by Masel on 22 June 2021 17:55
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care that other games in the past had worst RNG's, the drop rate in this game is awful.

It's an unfortunate reality of the MMO genre - they need people to keep logging in, so to do that, they impose these arbitrary drop rates to keep people grinding and farming. The grind and farm dynamic has been around in MMO's since forever, and always will be. MMO's rely on manipulating and exploiting addiction and gambling to keep people logging in rather than content. The content that is created is centered around that mentality of addiction and gambling.

This game *should* have tokens that can be used to buy gear. In fact, I love the suggestion that someone made earlier that the dungeons should drop materials for crafters to be able to create the sets. Crafting in this game is essentially worthless, and relying on crafters to create the gear would give a great benefit to them. MMO's in the past have done that successfully, so using the whole past MMO RNG grind argument is invalid. MMO's have done it through the crafting route before as well.

In fact I would much prefer that instead of gear drops in dungeons or trials, the gear drops from bosses were replaced with mats, and you either had to be a crafter, or provide the mats to the crafter, to create the set pieces.

You would still have to grind to get the mats, AND you give worth to crafters.

But seeing as how that will never happen, then yes, I do believe that you should be able to trade in Undaunted keys for gear. Go to the appropriate vendor, and you can buy a piece of the set that you need.

And not a randomized piece like Key Fragments. You should be able to choose the actual piece that you want. I don't care if it costs 50 Undaunted keys, you should be able to buy the gear that you need instead of relying on the RNG.
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    CyberOnEso wrote: »

Honestly, it'd get more people running pledges outside of guilds which totally nullifies the whole argument that there'll be nobody in dungeons. Because there'd literally be no change other than an uptick of dailies being ran.

The ONLY thing I could see it hurting are the group farms, which honestly would be a good thing because that means people are in there for the content and not the piece of gear (those that you mention blasting through normals with 4 DDs).

It really is a no brainer.
  • zelaminator
    zelaminator
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If it doesn't hurt you (and I assume it doesnt), why do you feel the need to say that it isn't needed?

It would not hurt me at all, but I still feel that it is not needed.. The statement that you posted was that the game needs such a token system.. I say it does not.. What I think about a token system, is an entirely different thing
    Edited by zelaminator on 22 June 2021 19:20
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of points:

You argue that group drops don't count because everyone is there to farm the same thing, which is not true. I want to eventually complete all the sticker books, so I'm going to be running those dungeons long after I've gotten all the "desired" pieces.

You also argue that armor pieces are useless, but you could get away with wearing two heavy armor pieces if you wanted to test things (which you can also do in the PTS, which is where most content creators test their stuff).

And finally, you calculate that 78 runs are required on average to get a specific weapon, and then go on to suggest that you should be able to trade in 30 undaunted keys for a weapon. I don't think that's a realistic expectation. Any system that lets you compensate for bad luck always requires more effort than what the "average" is. So I wouldn't expect anything for less than 100 undaunted keys (or 100 dungeon tokens if they go the way of specific tokens).

What I would like to see is the addition of weapons to all dungeon bosses on a 50% armor/50% weapon drop rate, as well as the rethinking of some of the named weapons.
    The Moot Councillor
  • CasgarTheSomnolent
    CasgarTheSomnolent
    ✭✭✭
    True randomness is agony. Easy to program? Absolutely. Just tack a percentage on to something. But there should be a limit. Grinding isn't fun, and ESO is not do-or-die when it comes to gear as I understand other RPGs are. There's no need to test a person's willpower to grind for the current meta weapon. At the same time, it's nice to have options to play with the current BiS gear and see if it truly lives up to its reputation for what you're doing. Or to placate the trial gear enforcers.

Furthemore, things are always changing. Medusa was a trash set a couple years ago. How many Medusa staves and jewels were deconned during that time? Set Collections is fairly recent and still bogged down by having to collect a bloat of pointless weapons.

I would welcome a quasi-random system that shifts drop percentages more and more towards things you don't have as you continue to not get them. That would be probably a nightmare to program. It's more just a concept.

Buying dungeon pieces for keys is a good idea I saw. Keys are an almost useless currency in the game at this point in time.

Perhaps the game could gate the ability to "purchase" specific gear behind achievements. Off the top of my head, say, you complete X dungeon on HM, you get this cost, you completely the full Challenger for X dungeon, you get this much-reduced cost. Maybe similar for trials. If the idea is to still encourage meaningful engagement with the content, then this solves that problem. You can't just farm until you get something; you have to actually do it right. Might just help with the problem of difficult group-finding as well if there's a reasonable incentive to actually do trials and dungeons (random is the worst incentive.) Cloudrest kind of does this already by giving you basic body pieces for nCR+0 and then actual jewelry for nCR+3.

Another issue, especially now with Set Collections being important, is trading gear. Or the lack of trading. I have GroupLootNotifier installed, so I can see when someone gets something I need. And I ask politely at the end if they need said thing and have never gotten an indignant response. And many times I get the thing I need simply because I asked, and they didn't actually need it. However, especially in PUGs, I have a short window to do that. Like a few seconds at times before people drop group. Now, I'm not saying the game needs to forcibly put gear into a lottery like FFXIV does, but perhaps something to just indicate to group members that there are tradable opportunities within the group. Still relying on people's good will, politeness, and honesty to actually make a trade but just making it easier to set that stuff up. If I got a little box that said "You got these, you don't need them, and these people do" I'd probably just automatically give them to them. ZOS has already built gear transparency into its API, and I have multiple add-ons that make use of it. Might as well just take it one step further and save us all some trouble.

Also, just cull more of the dropped sets much more thoroughly. It's not unprecedented. Spider Cultist only drops destro staves, and Light Speaker only drops resto staves, and that was an actually change that was made. If people want weird dual wield mag builds, let them go to some weird vendor that will procure or make them but don't punish the 99% of the rest of us who intend to still only use staves for magicka builds and only stabby, smashy stuff for stam builds.

Hope my rambling brainstorm said something useful.
  • VampReworkFailed
    VampReworkFailed
    ✭✭✭
    The main reason I take issue with the grind is that dungeon, trial, and arena gear is the only gear that is gated in this way. Overland gear and PvP gear can be purchased from coffers using tokens.

To keep the world populated by requiring you to log on and do stuff. The longer you play means more money for the ZOS. I'm an ESO plus player. I've spent more crowns that I want to add up. If this world wasn't populated by players, even free 2 play players, I wouldn't be here. A lot of people wouldn't want to log into an empty world. This mmo would die.

You don't need a staff on day 1, nor a kilt, or to insta class change. The game needs people running around collecting lore books, shards, leads, and dungeons. That keeps the world alive and people logging on to play so ZOS can make money and keep developing this world.

Have you considered that more people would log on and play daily if they knew that they could for sure earn the item they've been farming for?

You know, more people are likely to do something if after X amount of tries they know they'll succeed.

It is objectively correct.
  • amm7sb14_ESO
    amm7sb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you considered that more people would log on and play daily if they knew that they could for sure earn the item they've been farming for?

You know, more people are likely to do something if after X amount of tries they know they'll succeed.

It is objectively correct.

^ For example, I am getting discouraged from continuing with my pursuits for the Zaan's style page. I've done vSCP over and over and over and over again without a hint of it dropping, and I'm getting worn out and burnt out.

It is making me want to not log into the game at all, whereas if I had gotten it, I would be more motivated to log in, toy around with my new style pages on different characters, and probably get into some new pledges and random dailies in my new gear.
  • VampReworkFailed
    VampReworkFailed
    ✭✭✭
    This game does NOT need a token system. Some items should require grinding and not be easy to obtain.

EverQuest, I spent over 730 active play hours for 1 item for my Shadow Knight Epic.

A Medusa Staff is essentially an epic weapon for spell casters. It should not be easy to obtain and not everyone should be able to easily built out their character with their dream gear.

You do not make any argument that is valid here. Instead, you provide a selfish reason for why you think other people should invest as much time as you did.

I'm fairly certain you didnt watch the video, because what you did is whataboutism. If one game forces you to spend a lot of time without any reward, is it okay for others to do the same? I don't think it is. Just because Riot Games pours oil into the ocean, is it okay for Zenimax to do the same?

I'm also fairly certain because I explicitly say that its not meant to give items away for free. You still have to invest time, but you at least know that it would not be in vain.

Question 1: How would a token system hurt you?

Right, it wouldn't at all.

Question 2: What is bad about a system that guarantees you a reward if you work hard to get it compared to one that doesn't?

Right, nothing.

These people don't seem to understand that a token system would promote even more farming because people would not be discouraged by RNG. It'd also promote people trying more builds and trying to come up with unique play styles because then they wouldn't need to worry about needing to farm X obscure item that may or may not work.

What these tomatos don't realize is that with the current heavy RNG system no one makes use out of niche or unpopular sets because why would they waste time farming for something that might work when they can use that long grind to get something that is meta?

A token system would be beneficial to the game, end of story, and this is an objective fact.
  • Odovacar
    Odovacar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can dig this idea OP! Nice video!

P.S. RNGesus treats me very badly
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    some time ago I needed Draugr Hulk great sword and it took me ONLY 104 runs. No joke. Despite being able to often find chests, it took me way to long than it is necessary. Some kind of token system should be introduced.
    Funny thing is that IC dungeons actually have something like that. You have trophy vaults that you can open with special currency (key stones). Also thos "key stones" are tradeable so you could technically "buy" dungeon gear with gold. Other, simpler way would be to simply make all gear in eso tradeable.

That is the difference between a guaranteed drop and a drop that is not guaranteed.

It seems obvious to me that the ESO designers wanted a system where the drops in question were not guaranteed. Instead, roughly half the people would eventually get it in the first "X" attempt while the other half would not. Thus, some number of people attempting would never get the drop. That is RNG.

The token systems tend to be guarantee, in so far as the currency used to buy them does not drop randomly and cannot be shared.

That is a fundamental entitlement issue. Is the player entitled to that drop, and thus the drop should be guaranteed?

Well... considering that there are raid-groups that DEMAND members to wear certain sets, it is very hard to argue that someone is not "entitled" to find a specific drop, seeing as that could lead to being essentially kicked from a group. Now I hope most raid-groups are not THAT obstinate, but considering the toxicity I have seen and heard, I really wouldn't be surprised. :-/

If there wasn't such a hard-drawn META-line, it would be less of an issue, I think.

This is a player created problem and not a game created problem. The players that demand certain gear and the players willing to tolerate players that demand certain gear are the what created your problem. The only groups I have encountered that do this have been two PvP guilds demanding gear and skills for group dynamics and one trial guild for their elite team that looked to get on the leader boards. The trial guild had several runs though that were not a part of the elite team that members could participate in no matter the gear.

I've been looking for the Medusa Inferno staff for a while now. I helped a friend get his necklace saw I didn't have the staff and decided to try and get it. I'm guessing I am well over 200 runs now but the way I do it doesn't seem like a grind to me. I did right about fifty runs last time Arx was the pledge. Even that day it wasn't a grind for me. I got in one group where we found out all of us wanted the staff. So we ran the dungeon 11 times just blazing to the final boss. None of us got the drop. One person needed a ring and we did get that for him.

The rest of the runs were random groups. Sometimes it was players wanting to get to final boss quick as possible. Sometimes it was a group that wanted to do the quest and listen to the dialog. Usually it was a mix. I was on heals and because of the dressing room add-on I can switch builds really quick. With experienced groups I could run all DPS. With the less experienced I needed to slot some heals. The diversity in the groups running kept it interesting. I don't think I would have lasted much past the eleven we did just going full speed to the end if that was all that we did for the whole time. Because each run was a little different it kept it from being so stale. Even had two players that the Arx run was their very first dungeon. Those were fun watching someone get into that content for the first time. We took our time so they could roam around a bit. I can just burn the bosses if I want and sometimes run solo for a couple just for something different but with new and inexperienced players I back off some and let them make an impact.

As I said above I am well above 200 runs but hasn't been a grind for me. If it were I wouldn't do it. I can tell when someone in group does think it is a grind though. No group chat, skip chests, dodge trash and sometimes skip boss and soon as last boss falls they are out. They can't be having fun doing it that way but that is on them.

I wouldn't be opposed to a token system. I do think if it were made to easy it would take away from the long term health of the game. I see people suggest a change would not hurt others personally. This isn't necessarily true. MMOs need players repeating content to thrive. A token system if not done right could take away from the incentive to repeat content. So any token system needs to have its own limitations.
    A few ideas come to mind. First pledges give tokens and that would work like the keys. This one would be easy (comparatively) to put in place and could maybe reduce wait times for DPS in queues.

2nd idea, make the first dungeon you run each day give a token. Wouldn't matter if in a group or solo. Problem with this players would probably just run Fungal Grotto each day to get the token so doesn't add anything really positive to the game outside of one token.

If we were to have a token system and I'm not convinced we need one I think something like this might work. Tokens are specific to dungeons. If you want the Medusa staff you would need to run Arx. Once a day running Arx you would get one token specific to Arx. So if you want gear from four different dungeons you could run each one and get one token for each every day. I would tier the token amount needed. Armor drops more readily than weapons so armor would cost less tokens than weapons would. This would probably be a mess to implement but players would then need to do the content for the drop they want.

As much as I would prefer the third if we must have one probably the pledge idea is the way to go. Wouldn't be hard to put in game (I'm guessing) and would help populate the queue.

and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • rootkitronin
    rootkitronin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game does NOT need a token system. Some items should require grinding and not be easy to obtain.

EverQuest, I spent over 730 active play hours for 1 item for my Shadow Knight Epic.

A Medusa Staff is essentially an epic weapon for spell casters. It should not be easy to obtain and not everyone should be able to easily built out their character with their dream gear.

Except that a Medusa Staff isn't epic at all, or special in any way, it's just a normal dungeon set, and - if you're lucky - it is easy to obtain.

There's no skill or effort involved in getting the staff, it just involves mindless grinding and random draws. You can literally solo Arx on normal and farm it over and over - it's not difficult. But ultimately it's up to the luck of the draw if and when you get the item.

Players putting in 100's of hours into grinding and acting like they've paid the price and earned the item... except they didn't, they didn't earn anything, they didn't do anything special, or build up achievements towards some cumulative goal - they just got bad draws for hundred's of hours before they finally got lucky - that's it. All while other players waltz in and pick it up without ever thinking twice.

What I see is people who had bad luck for 100's of hours, and now want everyone else to go through the same terrible rolls they had for as long as they had - wearing their RNG like some artificial badge of honor. Sounds like a terrible philosophy for the game and gamers alike.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except that a Medusa Staff isn't epic at all, or special in any way, it's just a normal dungeon set, and - if you're lucky - it is easy to obtain.

There's no skill or effort involved in getting the staff, it just involves mindless grinding and random draws. You can literally solo Arx on normal and farm it over and over - it's not difficult. But ultimately it's up to the luck of the draw if and when you get the item.

Players putting in 100's of hours into grinding and acting like they've paid the price and earned the item... except they didn't, they didn't earn anything, they didn't do anything special, or build up achievements towards some cumulative goal - they just got bad draws for hundred's of hours before they finally got lucky - that's it. All while other players waltz in and pick it up without ever thinking twice.

What I see is people who had bad luck for 100's of hours, and now want everyone else to go through the same terrible rolls they had for as long as they had - wearing their RNG like some artificial badge of honor. Sounds like a terrible philosophy for the game and gamers alike.

If it requires no skill nor effort to obtain then no change is needed. I think you argued the opposite of what you want the outcome to be. Actually I know you argued the wrong side.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

After removing a few posts, we would like to remind everyone that Baiting is a violation of the Community Guidelines, and is stated as follows:
    • Trolling or Baiting: The act of trolling is defined as something that is created for the intent to provoke conflict, shock others, or to elicit a strong negative or emotional reaction. It’s okay and very normal to disagree with others, and even to debate, but provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is never acceptable in the official The Elder Scrolls Online community. If you do not have something constructive or meaningful to add to a discussion, we strongly recommend you refrain from posting in that thread, and find another discussion to participate in instead. It is also not constructive or helpful to publicly call out others and accuse them of trolling, or call them a troll—please refrain from doing so. If you genuinely believe someone is trolling, please report the post or thread to the ESO Team, and leave it at that.
    If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please be sure to take a few moments to review them here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't need tokens. This is already the least grindy RPG i have played in ...well... ever. It's ok to have to work for some things.
This discussion has been closed.