Maintenance for the week of July 1:
• NA megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – July 1, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – July 1, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mac Controller Support

Squatch4x4
I've been in contact with customer support for about a week giving them everything they want, and running every test and screenshot they ask for. They find out I'm using an M1 Macbook Pro and instantly shut down the issue as "Not Supported" on my hardware and "sorry try contacting Apple Mac support about your controller issue".

Can I get a pole of anyone using an Intel based Mac showing these issues? I know this issue has been beaten to death over the years, but maybe if enough people get together and submit claims we can get some traction?

DS4 and Xbox wireless controllers work over Bluetooth, but the button mapping either doesn't work or is incorrect. DS4 works fine over USB, but it's 2022 and why can't Bluetooth work like it does on PC? Also, I can connect my DS4 via Bluetooth to my M1 Mac and play through Stadia via a Google Chrome browser and the controller works great. So it must be my "unsupported" Apple silicon right?
Edited by ZOS_Bill on 11 October 2023 17:41
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eso seems to not support controllers on macs at all. (M1 or not.) There has been several threads on the subject. And even though it seems to be extremely easy to implement in the client, they just never bothered.
    Options
  • glocki
    glocki
    Soul Shriven
    I used to play this game on Stadia through Chrome on my iMac. So I got used to the controller. Crafting, travelling, chatting is much more comfortable with mouse and keyboard, but for fighting, the controller is much better. Much easier to move around while casting.

On Stadia you can just switch. It is kinda great. Push a button on the controller and the interface changes to controller input. Use the keyboard, it changes back. Even the size of the fonts change automatically.

But all of a sudden I could not start the game in Stadia. So I downloaded the Mac Client... and the graphic quality of the game is much better playing it directly on my iMac. Stadia is working again, but I prefer the native client now. But i cannot get the controller to work. I use a Logitech F310, which is just plug and play with Stadia.

So you say there is no way to get any kind of controller to work with the native Mac client of Elder Scrolls?
    Options
  • NetherClawSr
    Coming from PS4 I tried the native client on a MacBook Air M1 last year to find it unplayable. Because I wanted to be able to play with a controller I moved to stadia like you and was very happy with that. But after a year I am now into endgame trials and the absence of addons in stadia made me try the steam version three weeks ago.

And this works great with addons and with a PS4 controller. It took a bit of fiddling to get it to work, but I can now switch between mouse and controller in game and have addons. So maybe the steam version is worth a try for you?
    Options
  • Squatch4x4
    glocki wrote: »
    I used to play this game on Stadia through Chrome on my iMac. So I got used to the controller. Crafting, travelling, chatting is much more comfortable with mouse and keyboard, but for fighting, the controller is much better. Much easier to move around while casting.

On Stadia you can just switch. It is kinda great. Push a button on the controller and the interface changes to controller input. Use the keyboard, it changes back. Even the size of the fonts change automatically.

But all of a sudden I could not start the game in Stadia. So I downloaded the Mac Client... and the graphic quality of the game is much better playing it directly on my iMac. Stadia is working again, but I prefer the native client now. But i cannot get the controller to work. I use a Logitech F310, which is just plug and play with Stadia.

So you say there is no way to get any kind of controller to work with the native Mac client of Elder Scrolls?

You'll need a PS4 Controller (DS4), probably an official Sony controller. And connect it to your iMac with USB and it works beautifully. That's the only controller I've found that works with the Mac client.

I 100% agree using both Keyboard and mouse and controller is a great experience.
    Options
  • glocki
    glocki
    Soul Shriven
    Cool, thank you. I will get me one of those!
    Options
  • Squatch4x4
    glocki wrote: »
    Cool, thank you. I will get me one of those!

There's a setting you need to turn on as well. Look for Gamepad mode and set it to automatic. This will behave like Stadia and auto switch the interface when you press a button on the controller or click the mouse and stuff.
    Options
  • thedavidventer
    thedavidventer
    ✭✭✭
    I've been reporting this issue since 2019, along with links to Apple's Developer Documentation on HOW TO Fix it but the ESO devs flat out ignore the issue and support pretends that it *should* be working.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520104/gamepad-input-is-broken-in-eso-on-macos#latest

Every time I play, I send a support ticket notifying the devs that the issue is still not fixed, and I include a link to the Apple Developer documentation for the Game Controller framework each time. They simply ignore it.

If the devs ever care to actually do their job and actually support macOS (as they claim); please fix this!

Here's the link (again): https://developer.apple.com/documentation/gamecontroller
    Edited by thedavidventer on 5 June 2022 12:28
    David Venter - Digital Creator, macOS Gamer, Graphic Designer, Music Producer
    Official Website | Facebook (Page) | Facebook (Profile) | Instagram | Twitter | Other Links
    Options
  • harlam
    harlam
    edited, as I originally thought my dualsense controller was working, and it wasn't as the triggers dont work properly. Yet another problem controller to add to the list
    Edited by harlam on 27 July 2022 17:32
    Harlam Nightbane - Nightblade Tank <Keepers of Nirn> - Xbox EU
    Options
  • ajpinton
    ajpinton
    ✭✭
    I put down ESO in late 2021 due to issues with Controller support. I reinstalled ESO for the first time and glad to see the controller issue still persists.

This issue is absolutely on ESO to fix. Apple Silicon does not give the same hardware level access to accessories, and ESO needs to retool how it interfaces with controllers. Its beyond me why ESO still publishes a macOS client anymore.
    Options
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this discussion is now over a year old, we've decided to close the thread. If you still have questions or issues, please go ahead and start a new thread in the Mac Support forum.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.