The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[BUG?] Ring of Mara does not appear to stack with ESO Plus

baratron
baratron
✭✭✭✭✭
I was always under the impression that the Ring of Mara stacked with ESO Plus, but it's been literal years since I've used my Ring of Mara due to it forcing me to remove another ring and thus losing 5/5/2 from my sets.

Today, someone said on a Guildmaster Discord that the two buffs do not stack.

So I tried - @Wicked_Shifty and I got our characters who have performed the Pledge of Mara on together, in a group, wore the rings, and the Ring of Mara buff did not show in Active Effects. The Jester's Festival buff, the EXP Scroll buff, and the ESO Plus buff all did show up.

Wondering if this is a bug. If not, then the information that the Ring of Mara does not stack with ESO Plus needs to be added to relevant places on the official website, e.g.
https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/crownstore/item/58
https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7535/~/how-do-i-use-the-pledge-of-mara?
https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5711/~/does-the-friend-i-decide-to-perform-the-pledge-of-mara-ceremony-with,-also-need

We are on PC/Mac, PC-NA server.
Please let me know if you require any further information.
Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 2200+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1700+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50
Jadisa al-Belkarth - Redguard Arcanist looking for a role

NA-only characters:
Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I posted this in the thread on xp stacking in General, but here were my numbers from turning in daily crafting writs:

Specific numbers on a daily crafting writ, tested tonight on max-level non-Altmer characters with no Enlightenment at any point in the process:

Base 100% (backformation from next line, since I can't disable the sub): 748 xp
    With ESO+ (110%): 843 xp
    With ESO+ and 50% xp scroll (160%): 1197 xp
    With ESO+, 50% xp scroll, Pie of Misrule (260%): 1945 xp
    All of the above, in a group with one other player: 1945 xp
    All of the above, in a group while wearing the Ring of Mara with the proper partner (270%): 2019 xp

Ring of Mara does appear to give the 10% xp boost on top of the ESO+, xp scroll, and event buff.

I agree that it should appear under active effects, though.
  • tim99
    tim99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    just curious... shouldn't a group of 2 give you another added % of XP (not sure how much, 10%, 20%?)?

Or is it like training gear, just in actual kills/battles?
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    tim99 wrote: »
    just curious... shouldn't a group of 2 give you another added % of XP (not sure how much, 10%, 20%?)?

Or is it like training gear, just in actual kills/battles?

The group bonus only works on kills, per my testing on the writs (posted above) and other quests.
  • Canadagreen
    Canadagreen
    ✭✭✭
    Confirm this in 2023.
    Seems like Ring of Mara doesn't provide exp buff. Both players in group with ESO+.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Confirm this in 2023.
    Seems like Ring of Mara doesn't provide exp buff. Both players in group with ESO+.

And you both are in range of each other in the same instance? Mara’s worked fine as of 2021. Worth testing to see if it’s been broken since.

Keep in mind it’s 10% of the base value of whatever you’re doing, not 10% multiplicative after ESO+ and other boosters. Having ESO+ alone means the ring will add only 9.1% multiplicative in the best case (120%/110%). Easiest way to test is probably to turn in one daily writ with the ring off, then both put it on and turn in another writ right next to each other. If you see any difference, that’s the ring working.
    Edited by virtus753 on 12 May 2023 20:14