The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Graven Deep

madman65
madman65
✭✭✭✭
Double and even triple Necrotic waves!bzxh7vntp4ou.png
  • aleksandr_ESO
    aleksandr_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    death recap is inaccurate. You expect it to be instant damage, but it's actually spread over time
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I know one (1) person who seemingly dies to that all the time and looking at logs it’s because they’re getting double, triple, even maybe more, necrotic waves extremely close together while I only get 1 copy of it. So before healing can even get to them they die. Everyone else I’ve ever run with is completely fine it’s ONLY them and still don’t know why.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those aren’t from the same source. Someone has gotten caught in the wave from the boss and the one from his copy.

The boss and each of the illusory specters (the copies that spawn on the boss, not the four spread around the room) all do the necrotic wave. Getting caught in more than one is a one-shot. Stay out of them, especially when they’re stacked. Tank should stack them so there’s more room for dps to stand (otherwise you have cones everywhere). Once they’re summoned, they don’t move, so the stacking needs to be done during the mechanic when the boss creates them. Then they follow tank with their cones and tank dodges when there are too many, while dps can stay out of the way.
    Edited by virtus753 on 9 May 2023 15:19
  • RodneyRegis
    RodneyRegis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, always run improved death recap on PC is a start :)
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soarora wrote: »
    I know one (1) person who seemingly dies to that all the time and looking at logs it’s because they’re getting double, triple, even maybe more, necrotic waves extremely close together while I only get 1 copy of it. So before healing can even get to them they die. Everyone else I’ve ever run with is completely fine it’s ONLY them and still don’t know why.

Hm. Quick thought: Have you tried looking at the replay to see if that one person is getting caught in the multiple cones from the copies?

You can click on each of the boss/copies and see where their conal attack is going when they fire it. You should be able to see if the person is being overlapped.
  • Soarora
    Soarora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

Hm. Quick thought: Have you tried looking at the replay to see if that one person is getting caught in the multiple cones from the copies?

You can click on each of the boss/copies and see where their conal attack is going when they fire it. You should be able to see if the person is being overlapped.

It’s not to do with the cones, I know because I’m the tank (I aim the cones well… mostly) and I can see them not standing in any. Maybe I got which ability it is mixed up, could’ve been remnant instead of wave, I’d have to see if I can go back and look.
    PC/NA Dungeoneer (Tank/DPS/Heal), Trialist (DPS/Tank/Heal), and amateur Battlegrounder (DPS) with a passion for The Elder Scrolls lore
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes I could see those cones overlapping the ground under me so I came to the conclusion to rolldodge about a second before the alert bar gets filled. But when you have 3 your doomed.
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those aren’t from the same source. Someone has gotten caught in the wave from the boss and the one from his copy.

The boss and each of the illusory specters (the copies that spawn on the boss, not the four spread around the room) all do the necrotic wave. Getting caught in more than one is a one-shot. Stay out of them, especially when they’re stacked. Tank should stack them so there’s more room for dps to stand (otherwise you have cones everywhere). Once they’re summoned, they don’t move, so the stacking needs to be done during the mechanic when the boss creates them. Then they follow tank with their cones and tank dodges when there are too many, while dps can stay out of the way.

Ok so how many copies are there? If the boss and one copy then there is a problem but as a tank you can`t always see the AOE`s and there was other times that I was getting three just didn`t have the thought of capturing the results.
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭

I know that when there are more than three that you will still get caught because the cones are not going off at the same time, I wish I could have taken a screenshot of the one result that had 4 cone attack.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    madman65 wrote: »

I know that when there are more than three that you will still get caught because the cones are not going off at the same time, I wish I could have taken a screenshot of the one result that had 4 cone attack.

You will continue to get copies, as far as I recall, so it creates something of a soft dps check. The tank needs to learn how to stack them (which can’t be done after the fact), facing an agreed-upon direction.

One of the early guides (code’s, I believe) suggested having all the cones face the entrance so that the rest of the space is free for dps/healers to go soul searching, play hot potato with the orbs, and more easily get the four adds down when they spawn at their designated spots.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok so how many copies are there? If the boss and one copy then there is a problem but as a tank you can`t always see the AOE`s and there was other times that I was getting three just didn`t have the thought of capturing the results.

so i think the one that got you was not a copy that could be dmg'd

there is the phase where the boss splits in to 4, but they have an interruptible attack, but in your case that is not what killed you

during the fight it will sometimes spawn a ghost clone of the boss that cannot be targeted, which usually does a 2nd conal attack, this illusory copy doesnt hang around for too long, but getting hit with 2 waves at the same time can be rough (sometimes the waves are staggered just a bit making it easier/harder to avoid to avoid depending on positioning)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭

You will continue to get copies, as far as I recall, so it creates something of a soft dps check. The tank needs to learn how to stack them (which can’t be done after the fact), facing an agreed-upon direction.

One of the early guides (code’s, I believe) suggested having all the cones face the entrance so that the rest of the space is free for dps/healers to go soul searching, play hot potato with the orbs, and more easily get the four adds down when they spawn at their designated spots.

So it is wise to get the monster helm from this dungeon and use it for future fights.
  • madman65
    madman65
    ✭✭✭✭

there is the phase where the boss splits in to 4, but they have an interruptible attack, but in your case that is not what killed you

during the fight it will sometimes spawn a ghost clone of the boss that cannot be targeted, which usually does a 2nd conal attack, this illusory copy doesnt hang around for too long, but getting hit with 2 waves at the same time can be rough (sometimes the waves are staggered just a bit making it easier/harder to avoid to avoid depending on positioning)

So it is wise to get the monster helm from this dungeon and use it for future fights.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

the problem i have with the monster helm from that dungeon is that its a very short window (1 sec) which requires you to dodge (i think the conals can be dodged anyway), and then it has a very long cooldown (20 sec)

this fight is very difficult on the tank, especially once you get the 50% phase and get the add to spawn
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Jakk
    Jakk
    Soul Shriven
    Its just the shade mechanic. Its working fine, the longer it goes the more shades there are, i think capped at 3 or 4.... or atleast that's the most I've seen... usually if the groups that bad you're dead to other stuff before you get more.

Doesn't matter how many there are, you can roll them all with 1 dodge, you just need to get the timing right.
    It's got a relatively long telegraph before it fires, you're probably rolling early I would guess.