The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

z'maja heavy block bug? (first reported January 2023)

Dr_Con
Dr_Con
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8vGy4mgec

70k HA on Z'Maja Portal tank while blocking, AmIBlocking said I was blocking
Edited by Dr_Con on 12 October 2023 16:52
  • definitelygee
    definitelygee
    ✭✭✭
    Same thing happened to me the other day. I see my shield up and also the add on to compensate for non stop block bugs shows I am blocking too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNeiNAUgzo8
    Edited by definitelygee on 5 January 2023 15:03
  • definitelygee
    definitelygee
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin Hello. Hope you are well and had a good new year. Just wanted to draw some attention to this. It doesnt seem related to the recent block bugs but rather something different. I have seen this in vMoL(last boss) and vCR a lot. The tank is clearly blocking but the boss heavy goes through it no mitigation. The trend I am seeing is that it happens after being cc'd block is reapplied but for some reason it does not register. CC's like the blue beads on last boss vMoL and relequen heavy in vCR +3 or an orb.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin Hello. Hope you are well and had a good new year. Just wanted to draw some attention to this. It doesnt seem related to the recent block bugs but rather something different. I have seen this in vMoL(last boss) and vCR a lot. The tank is clearly blocking but the boss heavy goes through it no mitigation. The trend I am seeing is that it happens after being cc'd block is reapplied but for some reason it does not register. CC's like the blue beads on last boss vMoL and relequen heavy in vCR +3 or an orb.

Since this appears to be the same bug, your video with mine proves it is occurring on both physical and shadow z'maja. I normally go back into my footage to see what mistakes I would have made, mine was pulled from a streamed and saved recording so lag from my end isn't an issue.

Your video also added the fact that we both appear to be using pearlescent as well, I'm wondering if it's an issue with that set.

Additionally, in my damage feed I don't have an asterisk * next to the damage received for Nocturnal's Favor, which says the servers didn't register me as blocking at all when the damage was dealt (blocked damage has an asterisk next to it).
    Edited by Dr_Con on 14 January 2023 17:52
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been seeing a block behavior when swapping quickly. It doesn't happen too often... so it's difficult to reproduce.

I will be blocking on one bar, but then after swapping to the other bar, I'm not holding block anymore even though I've been holding the right mouse button the whole time. I have to release RMB and press it again to reactivate block. It's gotten me killed sometimes while tanking cause I think I am still blocking, but I'm not.

I'll be on my sttaff back bar, holding block. The shield is up, indicating I am blocking. Ill swap to the Sword&Shield front bar in preparation of HA from the boss... and I'm just standing there. No block icon is up. I have to release RMB and reclick to re-initialize block.

Anyone else see this? Am I doing something wrong?
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Billium813 wrote: »
    I have been seeing a block behavior when swapping quickly. It doesn't happen too often... so it's difficult to reproduce.

I will be blocking on one bar, but then after swapping to the other bar, I'm not holding block anymore even though I've been holding the right mouse button the whole time. I have to release RMB and press it again to reactivate block. It's gotten me killed sometimes while tanking cause I think I am still blocking, but I'm not.

I'll be on my sttaff back bar, holding block. The shield is up, indicating I am blocking. Ill swap to the Sword&Shield front bar in preparation of HA from the boss... and I'm just standing there. No block icon is up. I have to release RMB and reclick to re-initialize block.

This has happened rarely but for a long time now, in my experience. I would estimate barswap while blocking reapplies successfully by itself the vast majority of the time, albeit with the standard 0.3 second or so of dropped block during the swap. It reapplies successfully on its own every time you don’t need it, but of course fails the one time in a run you really do. To be safe, I think it is generally a good practice to drop block briefly while swapping, since you’ll drop block for that fraction of a second anyway. That way you can be more sure it will apply.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The first thing that comes to mind is that this reminds me of the first iteration of the u36 block bug. The second thing that comes to mind is mechanical failure (is your mouse working as intended?). The third thing that comes to mind is running out of resources- did your stamina or magicka completely reach 0? That explains this behavior perfectly, as your block will drop after resource depletion in this manner. It might be that you had no resources to block with your ice staff, but swapped to your shield, or you maybe had no resources on the bar you were blocking with to begin with, and got resources when you released the block. What sounds possible is that the servers interpret you having 0 mana = can't block, then you swap to sword and shield and it still thinks for a moment that you are trying to block on ice staff with 0 mana, but then it refreshes and sees that you are on s/b and can block due to having resources.

Another user posted about the weapon swapping issue- that's plausible as well... but without footage this is all I can really hypothesize is happening (servers not updating in the expected manner would be a valid bug report to notify zos of).
    Edited by Dr_Con on 16 January 2023 07:58
  • Troodon80
    Troodon80
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    Another user posted about the weapon swapping issue- that's plausible as well... but without footage this is all I can really hypothesize is happening (servers not updating in the expected manner would be a valid bug report to notify zos of).
    I've also had iterations of block bugs for years now. Sometimes, when it happens, you're unable to do anything except WASD for movement and roll dodge, but abilities won't activate (including block). In some other cases while also being unable to block, you can no longer even bar swap (as in, the game tells you that you are unable to swap bars in your currrent state). It's definitely not a resource problem in all the times I've had it and has been a problem for about 4-5 years, I would say. 99% of the time it works fine. The intermittent nature of it and the limited times it comes up makes it difficult to make a repro case for.

There are also times where, if you die while sprinting, you'll get the "sprint bug" and be unable to block or cast skills after coming out of ghost form. But this is easily fixed by attempting to sprint again. I didn't include that in the paragraph above because I know how and why it occurs, though both issues may in some way be linked. Most of the time when I get one form or another of the block bug, I'm still able to use abilities.

Edited by Troodon80 on 16 January 2023 08:48
    @Troodon80 PC | EU
    Guild: N&S
    Hand of Alkosh | Dawnbringer | Immortal Redeemer | Tick Tock Tormentor | Gryphon Heart
    Deep Dive into Dreadsail Reef Mechanics
  • TechMaybeHic
    TechMaybeHic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, they tried to fix it, made it worse. Tried to fix that, made it even worse. And then rolled it back to the original issue
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/624240/xbox-patch-notes-v1-30-2-0

That was the end of lile a month of really bad block mechanics. Haven't heard a thing since.
    Edited by TechMaybeHic on 16 January 2023 11:46
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    virtus753 wrote: »

This has happened rarely but for a long time now, in my experience. I would estimate barswap while blocking reapplies successfully by itself the vast majority of the time, albeit with the standard 0.3 second or so of dropped block during the swap. It reapplies successfully on its own every time you don’t need it, but of course fails the one time in a run you really do. To be safe, I think it is generally a good practice to drop block briefly while swapping, since you’ll drop block for that fraction of a second anyway. That way you can be more sure it will apply.

Just to be clear to those that read this, I am not talking about the 0.3 seconds between bar swaps where block is down. I know that exists as a mechanic and it's fine. I'm just talking about the block being re-applied AFTER that.

I'd say this issue is more frustrating because of how random and how seldom it occurs! Perhaps I just need to adopt the reflex of dropping block manually and re-applying, but it feels like such a waste to learn that habit for something that happens like 2% of the time. And ya, it always seems to occur right at the worst time.
  • Billium813
    Billium813
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The second thing that comes to mind is mechanical failure (is your mouse working as intended?).

That's a fair assumption to make. I don't have another mouse to test with (nor do I want to buy a new one just for this when I've not felt any other issues), so I was just hoping to hear if others have noticed this behavior

The third thing that comes to mind is running out of resources- did your stamina or magicka completely reach 0? That explains this behavior perfectly, as your block will drop after resource depletion in this manner. It might be that you had no resources to block with your ice staff, but swapped to your shield, or you maybe had no resources on the bar you were blocking with to begin with, and got resources when you released the block. What sounds possible is that the servers interpret you having 0 mana = can't block, then you swap to sword and shield and it still thinks for a moment that you are trying to block on ice staff with 0 mana, but then it refreshes and sees that you are on s/b and can block due to having resources.

I would really like to say this isn't it. I feel pretty confident that I had resources each time this happens... but I honestly can't refute this as a possibility. Especially with how Ice Staff blocks with Mag and Shield blocks with Stam and how swapping sets may change max stats on mag/stam. It's possible that I was out of mag/stam on one of my swaps, which deactivated block and I regened resources by the time I noticed but the game doesn't reactivate block automatically...

I'll pay attention closer next time I see it happen.
  • virtus753
    virtus753
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Just to be clear to those that read this, I am not talking about the 0.3 seconds between bar swaps where block is down. I know that exists as a mechanic and it's fine. I'm just talking about the block being re-applied AFTER that.

I'd say this issue is more frustrating because of how random and how seldom it occurs! Perhaps I just need to adopt the reflex of dropping block manually and re-applying, but it feels like such a waste to learn that habit for something that happens like 2% of the time. And ya, it always seems to occur right at the worst time.

Yes, I understood you were saying it failed to reapply. My point is that since you will get that short time of no block, might as well drop block yourself and reapply to ensure the no-reapply doesn’t happen. :)
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Same thing happened to me the other day. I see my shield up and also the add on to compensate for non stop block bugs shows I am blocking too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNeiNAUgzo8

I just caught something very subtle in this after reviewing the footage again (because the bug is still not fixed). For a split second he brings up the last damage ticks to hit him, and he was blocking damage done by crushing darkness, which is an AOE DD that can be mitigated.

00gta70e5anz.png

This bug is specific to Z'Maja's Nocturnal Favor, or at least single target direct DD attacks like Nocturnal's Favor, the user's block was working on her AOE attack, not her single target.
    Edited by Dr_Con on 28 April 2023 23:54
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    this bug is still active