Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best 4 man Setup?

beer781993
beer781993
✭✭✭✭
There are so many setups and everybody seems to play differently.

I am looking for the strongest 3 DDs 1 Tank setup possible. With strongest I mean the highest possible damage.

Atm we play 3 Plars + 1 Warden Tank.
Tank wears TT, Magma, Olorime
2xDDs wear Kilt/Siroria/Pillar/Maelstrom Staff
1x DD PA, MA, Spaulder, Maelstrom Staff

Using 3x extended rituals to keep tank alive.

We can clear and nuke everything like this but I would like to know the absolute best optimized setup if there is one.

Can't find a reliable source.

Maybe you guys have some ideas?
How are you playing (Sets, Classes)?

Don't know can't make medium armor work in dungeons because sacrificing a strong buffset for pen seems to be weaker than light armor.
But can't say for sure. Isn't there someone who did the mathematics 😅?
Edited by ZOS_Icy on 28 March 2023 11:07
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there,

I usually run with a holy trinity group for difficult content, with a tank, healer and 2DD.

The one thing I immediatly think of is, wouldn't it be better to add in a sorcerer for the Exploitation passive and the Minor Prophecy buff? + Major Berserk from the Atronach?

Also not sure if Kilt is worth it in 4-man content?
    Edited by Aelorin on 27 March 2023 08:21
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • beer781993
    beer781993
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aelorin wrote: »
    Hi there,

I usually run with a holy trinity group for difficult content, with a tank, healer and 2DD.

The one thing I immediatly think of is, wouldn't it be better to add in a sorcerer for the Exploitation passive and the Minor Prophecy buff? + Major Berserk from the Atronach?

Also not sure if Kilt is worth it in 4-man content?

Kilt uptime feels good but the sorc would be an idea, although we play the plars to keep the tank alive with 3x stacking extended rituals. Matriarch could help.
    Maybe we could try to include one. Will test but I am also not sure about the best set combination. Medium armor seems not good because we would have to sacrifice a strong buff set for penetration.
    Edited by beer781993 on 27 March 2023 08:42
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Front bar Sul-Xan and body Siroria/Bahsei/FG. Swap Sul-Xan with Pillar for fights with no adds.

Not convinced by Kilt, I’d run Mora’s.

Or just look at WR BRP runs, they’ll have the optimal set ups.
  • KilianDermoth
    KilianDermoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Major Berserk has low uptimes. Dragon Knights and Nightblades can even self apply this buff with class skills now and with the changes to Wrecking Blow (one of the strongest spammables) now even anyone can self apply this buff on demand. The buff wasnt great before (to low uptime if not a ulti gen build which wouldnt be strong on its own) and is now obsolete in some cases at all.

Minor Prophecy is good but a Nightblade can do minor savergy yielding in the same result so it doesnt matter if Sorcerer or Nightblade. Propbably the nightblade would even be the better option.

Overall, sure the Sorc can provide those buffs but it is not necessary to bring a Sorc in such a group because those buffs arent that important, neglectible and often others provide better / more buffs (especially in 4 man groups). Sad but true, the Sorc isnt great anywhere or in any content (Mag Sorc Main)...

But yeah 3 plars dont make any sense at all and 3x extended ritual to keep the tank alive seems also to be absolute nonsense.

On my Sorc tank I can keep myself alive completely without a healer or heals from damage dealers most of the time (except for really hard / new content until I get used to it). Often I even dont need synergies / ressources (especially if I dont do any mistakes).

In generall, I think a DK or Sorc tank would be a better option in a 3 DD run because they are easier to make completely self sufficient without the need of a healer and even survive high pressure while still using support sets. But wardens should be able to do so too, I just think that they are a bit more difficult in this regard.

Also the best would be to have 4 different classes and not only 2! I think the most optimized would be:
    Dragon Knight or to a lesser degree Templar (one makes the other more or less obsolete, but dragon knights are usually better in literally any aspect than templars, except for pure healing)
    Sorcerer or probably better Nightblade (again one makes the other more or less obsolete)
    Warden

The 4th is a bit flexible and depends on your group composition. For example necro if you dont have already major vulnerability or want to extend it. Maybe even one of the other classes if all the buffs cant already be provided by the other people.

Also it would be important to build around your group members, for example if you know you have a Warden in your group, that warden can provide major Resolve to everyone, decreasing the amount of healing needed and freeing up skill slots (at least on the tank).

The same goes for Dragon Knights who can provide Major Brutality and Sorcery for the whole group, probably freeing up slots on the damage dealers and makeing only one person necessary to recast this buff once every 60 seconds, instead of 3 DDs every about 20 seconds (8x more casts of spammables for example).

I dont know if MA is that great (probably to low uptime, to big of an sacrifice and to less of an impact on 3 damage dealers, but might be good /strong if you burn stuff quick enough). Also I am not sure if PA is that strong on a Damage Dealer in a 4 man group (probably to big of an sacrifice for a to low impact).

A nice set would for example be elemental catalysator which depending on class and build might boost the overall damage if you are below the crit cap. Further if your group wears medium armor (what is probably better than light armor) then you might need a pen set / a pen set would be stronger than if all of the 3 DDs had to sacrifice damage for pen. If just one person wears such a set and allows the whole group to neglect pen it could increase the overal damage (if more pen is needed for example because everyone wears medium).

With oakensoul there might even be a completely different route that might yield in very high damage or even be best. With oakensoul on the damage dealers, they get really tanky and already have a *** of buffs.

A friend is able even to fill in the healer role by slotting the undaunted bubble and a burst heal while still doing above average damage with his oakensoul onebar heavy attack build (Sorc, Warden or Necro) and he is even able to do this when he replaces one of his damage sets with a support set. He even got some compliments for his great healing in PUGs while doing more than 50% damage - sometimes even up to about 80%...

He even can weave in burst heals (on demand) between his heavy attacks with almost sacrificing no damage by proveding strong healing without sustain issues.

The ring is just absolutely broken and ridiculous if utilized properly.

We even did some achievements lastly with him being a DD / Healer hybrid absolutely relaxed and in Bal Sunnar Hardmode (where he was a pure DD) he just had to slot a shield and could easily survive the heavy damage of some mechs, about as easy if not even easier than myself on a Sorc Tank 🤣.

With oakensoul DDs I guess that something like Turning Tide on the tank is really powerful and could be combined with a pen set if the oakensoul wearers use medium armor.

But finally there is no single best for all dungeons, the best might depend on the dungeon and especially the strat you want to follow and how you play / perform. Just stuff like going with 3 templars is for sure not even close to be best anywhere.
    Edited by KilianDermoth on 27 March 2023 09:23
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Major Berserk has low uptimes. Dragon Knights and Nightblades can even self apply this buff with class skills now and with the changes to Wrecking Blow (one of the strongest spammables) now even anyone can self apply this buff on demand. The buff wasnt great before (to low uptime if not a ulti gen build which wouldnt be strong on its own) and is now obsolete in some cases at all.

Minor Prophecy is good but a Nightblade can do minor savergy yielding in the same result so it doesnt matter if Sorcerer or Nightblade. Propbably the nightblade would even be the better option.

Overall, sure the Sorc can provide those buffs but it is not necessary to bring a Sorc in such a group because those buffs arent that important, neglectible and often others provide better / more buffs (especially in 4 man groups). Sad but true, the Sorc isnt great anywhere or in any content (Mag Sorc Main)...

But yeah 3 plars dont make any sense at all and 3x extended ritual to keep the tank alive seems also to be absolute nonsense.

On my Sorc tank I can keep myself alive completely without a healer or heals from damage dealers most of the time (except for really hard / new content until I get used to it). Often I even dont need synergies / ressources (especially if I dont do any mistakes).

In generall, I think a DK or Sorc tank would be a better option in a 3 DD run because they are easier to make completely self sufficient without the need of a healer and even survive high pressure while still using support sets. But wardens should be able to do so too, I just think that they are a bit more difficult in this regard.

Also the best would be to have 4 different classes and not only 2! I think the most optimized would be:
    Dragon Knight or to a lesser degree Templar (one makes the other more or less obsolete, but dragon knights are usually better in literally any aspect than templars, except for pure healing)
    Sorcerer or probably better Nightblade (again one makes the other more or less obsolete)
    Warden

The 4th is a bit flexible and depends on your group composition. For example necro if you dont have already major vulnerability or want to extend it. Maybe even one of the other classes if all the buffs cant already be provided by the other people.

Also it would be important to build around your group members, for example if you know you have a Warden in your group, that warden can provide major Resolve to everyone, decreasing the amount of healing needed and freeing up skill slots (at least on the tank).

The same goes for Dragon Knights who can provide Major Brutality and Sorcery for the whole group, probably freeing up slots on the damage dealers and makeing only one person necessary to recast this buff once every 60 seconds, instead of 3 DDs every about 20 seconds (8x more casts of spammables for example).

I dont know if MA is that great (probably to low uptime, to big of an sacrifice and to less of an impact on 3 damage dealers, but might be good /strong if you burn stuff quick enough). Also I am not sure if PA is that strong on a Damage Dealer in a 4 man group (probably to big of an sacrifice for a to low impact).

A nice set would for example be elemental catalysator which depending on class and build might boost the overall damage if you are below the crit cap. Further if your group wears medium armor (what is probably better than light armor) then you might need a pen set / a pen set would be stronger than if all of the 3 DDs had to sacrifice damage for pen. If just one person wears such a set and allows the whole group to neglect pen it could increase the overal damage (if more pen is needed for example because everyone wears medium).

With oakensoul there might even be a completely different route that might yield in very high damage or even be best. With oakensoul on the damage dealers, they get really tanky and already have a *** of buffs.

A friend is able even to fill in the healer role by slotting the undaunted bubble and a burst heal while still doing above average damage with his oakensoul onebar heavy attack build (Sorc, Warden or Necro) and he is even able to do this when he replaces one of his damage sets with a support set. He even got some compliments for his great healing in PUGs while doing more than 50% damage - sometimes even up to about 80%...

He even can weave in burst heals (on demand) between his heavy attacks with almost sacrificing no damage by proveding strong healing without sustain issues.

We even did some achievements lastly with him being a DD / Healer hybrid absolutely relaxed and in Bal Sunnar Hardmode (where he was a pure DD) he just had to slot a shield and could easily survive the heavy damage of some mechs, about as easy if not even easier than myself on a Sorc Tank 🤣.

With oakensoul DDs I guess that something like Turning Tide on the tank is really powerful and could be combined with a pen set if the oakensoul wearers use medium armor.

But finally there is no single best for all dungeons, the best might depend on the dungeon and especially the strat you want to follow and how you play / perform. Just stuff like going with 3 templars is for sure not even close to be best anywhere.

Triple plar DD holds the BRP record if I’m not mistaken? And that’s the pinnacle of 4 man content. So, yeah. Results speak louder than words.
  • Zyva
    Zyva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, it depends what 4-man content you are doing. And if your goal is farming, speed run, trifectas, or world records.

Solid trifectas in the latest DLC dungeons require a healer because of huge heal checks or defiles (much more so than heals necessary in BRP). But even in those dungeons, as in BRP, if you truly want to min max, that healer swaps to damage setup on trash and certain bosses without the check.

And within most if not all of 4-man content, the gear being worn will change between bosses and trash, and even boss-to-boss, depending on how much cleave is desired and where groups positioning is. The best best is to learn what buffs your group needs, and adjust who provides them as necessary.

At the end of the day though, a group that runs regularly with each other will beat the pants off a group that has not practiced content, no matter the setup or class.
    Zyvä (Nightblade) ~ Purricâne (Sorcerer) ~ Boñfürr (Dragonknight) ~ Cätnïp (Warden) ~ Boñespùrr (Necromancer)~ Catsänova (Templar)
  • Etherea1
    Etherea1
    We run
    3x Sorcs (Oakensoul, Sergeant, Storm master). Healing provided by Matriarch, Crit surge\ Echoing vigor.
    Tank Necro (TT, Crimson Oath, Tremoscale, Vateshran 1H + Shield)

• SpacemanSpiff1
    SpacemanSpiff1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    4 wampires, just sprinting past everything.
  • isthatujonwayne
    isthatujonwayne
    ✭✭✭
    Etherea1 wrote: »
    We run
    3x Sorcs (Oakensoul, Sergeant, Storm master). Healing provided by Matriarch, Crit surge\ Echoing vigor.
    Tank Necro (TT, Crimson Oath, Tremoscale, Vateshran 1H + Shield)

That is not a strong setup. That's just HA cheese
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cheese is yummy.

Also, what matters is that you get what you want. Whether it's by heavy attacking, light weaving, or interpretive dance, doesn't matter.

In the end, though, I agree with Zyva. What's strongest, heavily depends on both content and players.
  • beer781993
    beer781993
    ✭✭✭✭

Warden

Hmm I don't think that it makes no sense. Our warden provides brittle and minor vulnerability.
    We did all trifectas this way. In coral aerie, earthen root and shipwright the tank and DDs take tons of damage and we manage to nuke the endboss in coral aerie so that the last griphon doesn't even land. In shipwright we nuke the second boss, it isn't even able to do 1 wolf mechanic. In earthen root we just burn the last boss from human into bear into human into bear and hes dead without mechanics. All hardmode ofc.

Might try playing alkosh on 1 dd though and going medium. Would replace potl with wrecking blow and going dw backbar if next patch hits. Wouldn't play sorc tank though, it doesn't provide much for the group. Dk would be interesting with stonefist.

Plars dont need to heal, they just deal damage and all healing is passive. 3 Beams at 35% hit like a truck. We can survive earthen root, first boss without a healer even if 3 golems stomp. No need to do anything but damage which is for sure stronger as if you have to actively heal every time. Don't think dks stay alive very long with the damage input in the new dlc dungeons without a healer. Blade also provides good support with spamable.
    Edited by beer781993 on 27 March 2023 13:38
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s all fairly subjective. Is this for trifecta achievements or is the group sprinting past and ignoring everything between bosses?

In newer dlcs everything between bosses must die for the trifecta, is the tank trying to quickly and neatly stack everything? Neat stacks can die incredibly fast with master 2H, or fairly fast with whirling blades. They take way too long if the tank allows a lot of stragglers to be scattered everywhere, in which case acid spray is probably your best bet.

Two bars with Acid spray spam with proper sets/ self buffs/ good light attack weave can easily beat out heavy attack builds.

Pure math would place sul xan at the top, a lot of bosses drop way faster than the 30 second buff that you presumably pick up from a mob that just died seconds before the boss fight. But once again it’s pretty subjective, sometimes you have to step out of the way to get the sul xan buff, which can add seconds to the run. Sometimes you have to move a long distance before the next fight, or someone goes AFK. Coral riptide is incredibly easy to max out and it’s very strong, just roll dodge on your way to the next group. I run perfected riptide with perfected sul xan most times

Are there tons of mobs to be killed between all the damage dealers? If so it’s really hard to beat thrassian

As far as class goes, probably just whichever you’re most comfortable with, I’ve been in several premade 4 player trifecta runs and hundreds of dungeon ques and my nightblade always more than pulls its weight. If you’re swapping just because a guide says so it will take a while to adapt, a dummy parse may look very good soon after making the swap, but your brain takes some time to adjust to your best strategy and moves all the time during a real fight. My nightblade will always be my best dps in a real fight, I’ve tried all the others but didn’t like them much
    Edited by MudcrabAttack on 27 March 2023 18:01
  • beer781993
    beer781993
    ✭✭✭✭
    It’s all fairly subjective. Is this for trifecta achievements or is the group sprinting past and ignoring everything between bosses?

In newer dlcs everything between bosses must die for the trifecta, is the tank trying to quickly and neatly stack everything? Neat stacks can die incredibly fast with master 2H, or fairly fast with whirling blades. They take way too long if the tank allows a lot of stragglers to be scattered everywhere, in which case acid spray is probably your best bet.

Two bars with Acid spray spam with proper sets/ self buffs/ good light attack weave can easily beat out heavy attack builds.

Pure math would place sul xan at the top, a lot of bosses drop way faster than the 30 second buff that you presumably pick up from a mob that just died seconds before the boss fight. But once again it’s pretty subjective, sometimes you have to step out of the way to get the sul xan buff, which can add seconds to the run. Sometimes you have to move a long distance before the next fight, or someone goes AFK. Coral riptide is incredibly easy to max out and it’s very strong, just roll dodge on your way to the next group. I run perfected riptide with perfected sul xan most times

Are there tons of mobs to be killed between all the damage dealers? If so it’s really hard to beat thrassian

As far as class goes, probably just whichever you’re most comfortable with, I’ve been in several premade 4 player trifecta runs and hundreds of dungeon ques and my nightblade always more than pulls its weight. If you’re swapping just because a guide says so it will take a while to adapt, a dummy parse may look very good soon after making the swap, but your brain takes some time to adjust to your best strategy and moves all the time during a real fight. My nightblade will always be my best dps in a real fight, I’ve tried all the others but didn’t like them much

Should be for trifectas. I want to optimize my group as hard as possible to squeeze out even more damage.
    I play on Ps5 so we usually maybe swap 1 or 2 skills for trash but keep the same items.

Sulxan seems very interesting, maybe jewelry and weapons but I don't rly know if medium armor is worth it in 4 man content because you usually have to sacrifice a strong buff set like Olorime on the tank for penetration.

I thought about one DD using alkosh and the others go 6x med 1x light. Thought about Nirn on the body, Siroria, Zaan Kilt and maybe in fights where you can keep it up Sulxan. Then probably using wrecking blow as semi spam, 2H Frontbar, Dualwield Backbar. Ofc we stay Magicka for the jab heals to be able to deal damage non stop.
    Sustain might be an issue but we will test it.

Was wondering about which class/set/combination would be the absolute strongest with 1 T and 3 DDs.
    Probably vamp with stranglers but can that survive high damage input in the newer dungeons?

The setup should be able to survive the harder dlc dungeon hms. Couldn't rly find anything at Youtube or Google.
    Patch hitting consoles today. We will try with 3 Plars or 2 Plars/1 Blade again.
    I wish sb would do the maths.
    Edited by beer781993 on 27 March 2023 21:05
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    Runefang wrote: »

Warden

Triple plar DD holds the BRP record if I’m not mistaken? And that’s the pinnacle of 4 man content. So, yeah. Results speak louder than words.

With each update, things change. Templars have been nerf'd. hard to use “records” unless it’s current patch. Also, skill plays a big role. Players with less optimized groups, but good skill, can still get through average players in perfect gear and setup.
  • ZOS_Icy
    ZOS_Icy
    mod
    Greetings,

This thread has been moved to the Combat & Character Mechanics section, as it is better suited there.

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post