Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Loremaster’s Archive Q&A- Telvanni Lore

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
Welcome all to the first Loremaster's Archive of 2023! This time, we're exploring all things Telvanni during the Second Era. Do you have a question related to the Telvanni involvement in the upcoming Scribes of Fate DLC? Or maybe you have an evergreen Telvanni question to get off your chest? This is the place to ask!

To help our Loremaster answer as many questions as possible, please keep your questions short (no more than a line or two) and limit yourselves to one question apiece. Don't worry, we'll be going big with future Loremaster's Archives, and you'll absolutely have a chance to interrogate an Arcanist about the new class as we get closer to Necrom's launch in June.
With that in mind, we'll keep this thread open for one week (closing 2/15/2023 @ 10am ET/3pm UTC) for everyone to get your questions in starting today. We await your Telvanni questions!
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on 14 March 2023 14:10
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's a bit of confusion over what encompasses the "Telvanni Peninsula," if we look at a map it looks more like the Telvanni Coast.

Is it safe to say that we are exploring the lesser part of the Telvanni Peninsula with the releases this year, and there is a greater part for a future chapter?
    Edited by Dr_Con on 8 February 2023 19:40
  • Sallymen
    Sallymen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do the Telvanni think of the other races in Tamriel? Do they accept them in their ranks to go up the chain in their house or are they completely barred from ever becoming one of them?
    Edited by Sallymen on 8 February 2023 19:40
    Current Undaunted Key Count: 4,902
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Telvanni are known for their talented mages, and perhaps most powerful among them is Divayth Fyr, who is compared to the likes of Shalidor and Vanus Galerion. Do you know of any figures from my Breton race that I can look up to that measure up to their power and/or accomplishments, perhaps even within Great House Telvanni?

- Lady Allene Ashcroft
    Edited by Aliyavana on 15 February 2023 09:34
  • KingArthasMenethil
    KingArthasMenethil
    ✭✭✭
    In regards to Telvanni lords why is there quite a few Telvanni using the Magister title? As the Telvanni title of Magister is when you announce you deserve to be Archmagister over the current one and there's quite a few Telvanni being called Magister like the current Archmagister Nelos Otheri, Dratha, Therana, Gothren and Shelreni Baro (in the Telvanni Peninsula).

(Gaius Sulla would work as a name if you can't say my Warcraft inspired name like "-Gaius Sulla, Battlemage of the Thirteenth Legion")

As for Shelreni Baro to climb the ranks any further she'd need to murder Archmagister Nelos Otheri.

Sources.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:House_Telvanni#Ranks
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Aryon
    "I can grant you the rank of Master now. That will give you an equal place on the Telvanni Council. But if you aspire to a higher claim, I can also grant you the title of Magister. By accepting the title of Magister, you are announcing that you deserve the title of Archmagister more than Gothren who currently holds that rank. Which will it be?"

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:House_Telvanni
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Angharal_Suth
    "Magister Otheri" is the current Archmagister
    Angharal Suth : "Indeed. My most beneficent patron, Magister Otheri, acquiesces to Magister Therana's demands. He is confident that Therana will remember this kindness in the future. Sun-in-Shadow, you are hereby freed and lifted up to the rank of hireling."

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Mistress_Dratha
    Mistriss Dratha being called or calling herself a Magister
    You seem pretty calm about this.
    "A magister must learn to keep her worries hidden and her face calm.
    Xykenaz said he would come in the guise of a man... a Nord perhaps? A Breton? Or will it be a Mer? Perhaps I can speak to Llayne about setting up patrols for strangers in town."

Mistress Dratha: "I accept."
    Xykenaz: "The covenant is made. Be seeing you, magister."

Edited by KingArthasMenethil on 9 February 2023 10:36
    EU 2000+ CP
    Characters
    Gaius Sulla 50 Cyrodiil DragonKnight.
    Livia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Nightblade.
    Divayth-Fyr 50 Dunmer Sorcerer.
    Ragnar Shatter-Shield 50 Nord Dragonknight.
    Selvia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Templar.
    Attrebus Mede 50 Cyrodiil Warden.
    Zirath Urivith 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
    Dame Edwinna Gelas 50 Breton Dragonknight.
    Agrippina Tharn 50 Cyrodiil Necromancer.
    Bedal Dren 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, two Telvanni walk into a corner club... Are they allowed to stay, or do they get kicked out?
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Axmalexia
    Axmalexia
    ✭✭✭
    With Necrom being one of the holiest cities in Morrowind, along with Mournhold and Vivec City, where is the presence of Indoril said to closely be tied to the Temple and therefore Necrom? Has the land around Necrom always been Telvanni or has it passed hands over the centuries?
  • theamazeman
    theamazeman
    ✭✭
    Historically, House Telvanni has been isolated from the other Great Houses and generally removed from the affairs of the rest of the Dunmeri civilization. In The Elder Scrolls III, the Great House was viewed negatively by all other factions in the game, foreign and native alike. In the time period of The Elder Scrolls Online, House Telvanni stands as the only Great House that has rejected membership in the Ebonheart Pact, further alienating themselves from the rest of Morrowind. Even within House Telvanni, affairs are clannish, fragmented, and internally hostile.

With these drawbacks in mind, how extensive is House Telvanni's territory in Morrowind? It has been thought - until recently - that the House only held sway over the extreme northeast of Morrowind and the islands of Azura's Coast in Vvardenfell. With the new Telvanni Peninsula zone however, it seems that the House's territory is three times larger than previously thought, easily making them the Great House with the most vast stretches of territory in all of Morrowind. However, it would seem unlikely that this is the case for a politically un-influential House universally despised and self-isolated and internally unstable.

Is does Telvanni territory truly run from Necrom to the northeastern extremities? Is a third of Morrowind truly under Telvanni control? If so, why? How did this "profane", impious, unorthodox, unstable, isolated, and hostile Great House manage to acquire so much land while the more powerful and influential Houses were left with less?
  • Erickson9610
    Erickson9610
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which kinds of Lycanthropy are native to the Telvanni region?
    PC/NA — Lone Werewolf, the Templar Khajiit Werewolf

Werewolf Should be Allowed to Sneak
  • The_Curator
    The_Curator
    Soul Shriven
    I've spotted a Telvanni NPC working in the Orsinium Mages Guild. Would she be an outcast from the House due to her affiliation with the guild? Is it at all possible to be a member of both? I can only guess it wouldn't help one's reputation to do so, but does power not confer right in the end?

Source 1: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Kalina_Telvanni
    Source 2: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Generic_Dialogue_H
    "House Telvanni is one of the Great Houses. We value talent, knowledge, and initiative. Perhaps you would like to join House Telvanni?"
    "We don't care about politics. We don't care what other think. We just want to be left alone. And our wizard-lords and their mercenaries make sure no one bothers us."
    "We live comfortably. Our wizard-lords keep us secure, and otherwise leave us alone. All we want is to be left in peace to do as we wish."
    "House Telvanni is one of the three Dunmer Great Houses with holdings on Vvardenfell. The Telvanni wizard-lords have traditionally isolated themselves, pursuing wisdom and mastery in solitude. But certain ambitious wizards-lords, their retainers, and clients have entered whole-heartily into the competition to control and exploit Vvardenfell's land and resources, building towers and bases all along the eastern coast. The Telvanni think that wisdom confers power, and power confers right."
  • Benefactor
    Benefactor
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are a series of tomes mentioned to be in the vaults of the city of Necrom called the Indigo Scrolls. Is there anything you can share on the knowledge contained within these tomes?

A second unrelated question I have is related to the imprisonment of Himandoril, currently imprisoned for arson in Necrom. Can you please elaborate on what the charges are for this member of the Painted Eyes? Please tell me he didn't burn any important knowledge.
    Edited by Benefactor on 8 February 2023 20:39
  • AltmerGF
    AltmerGF
    ✭✭✭
    It is something of an open secret that there are a great number of downright heretical members of House Telvanni who spurn the Tribunal. How does the House keep themselves from the ire of the Ordinators?

-a concerned citizen
    Edited by AltmerGF on 8 February 2023 20:38
  • fenderlove
    fenderlove
    Soul Shriven
    Since the Demnevannis are a branch of House Telvanni, I have to know: Is Aunt Sernsi ever going to get her purple urn? I would really like to give her one so she can give Revus a break.
  • CE_Nex
    CE_Nex
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings. Admittedly, my knowledge of Ald Chimeris is sorely lacking. What is the etymology of the name Telvanni?

Sincerely,
    C.E.Nex
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Ok, two Telvanni walk into a corner club... Are they allowed to stay, or do they get kicked out?

First of all, the way I laughed at this. Also, I pray we get an answer to this one.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Aztrias
    Aztrias
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is Neloth? Is he safe? Is he all right?
    Welcome Moon-and-Star to this place where destiny is made

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/498360/r-i-p-pc-eu/p1
    Nerevar forget!
  • Tyrvarion
    Tyrvarion
    ✭✭✭
    I heard of Mushroom Towers of Port Telvannis. They're a really impressive display of Nature Magic. How do the practices of your Mycoturges differ from the practices of groups such as Wardens, Bosmeri Greenspeakers, Reachfolk, Wyrd Covens, and Druids?
    -Druid Tyrrosh
    Edited by Tyrvarion on 8 February 2023 21:44
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have the Telvanni Mages solved the mystery of why treasure maps don't stack in our packs? :)
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • Floognoodle
    Floognoodle
    Soul Shriven
    Throughout the years, citizens of Morrowind have seen the Telvanni make deals with Daedric Princes and lesser daedra alike for one reason or another. But what of the non-Prince daedra lords - like Lord Hollowjack or Menthyx? Are the Telvanni willing to make deals with such enigmatic beings?

Sincerely,

Monrave Daryn
  • TheRimOfTheSky
    TheRimOfTheSky
    ✭✭✭✭
    House Indoril controls the cities of Firewatch, Helnim Wall, Greenheights, and Draloris (or "Dragon Glade" as the Imperials like to call it) along the eastern coast and Inner sea, north of Necrom. I have heard of a place called Tel Dreloth near Alavelis (or "Amber Forest"), in the territory of House Dres. How do these houses that are so dedicated to the Temple deal with the Telvanni having such a great influence in the area around Necrom? Could they one day encroach their holdings to control the area around the City of the Dead?
    Edited by TheRimOfTheSky on 8 February 2023 23:37
  • Thal_J
    Thal_J
    ✭✭✭✭
    House Telvanni holdings are known to extend to the isles north of the peninsula. What is known about those islands, and the settlement of Port Telvannis? Are the smaller islands settled?

Sincerely,

Grelar Maloren
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honour to your House, Ser. A week ago I met a mage of your house from Sadrith Mora who rode one of the strangest beasts I've ever seen. It looked like a horse, those mammals from the west, but it was made from spores and fungi, and as much as that is puzzling itself, I'm curious why one would shape it after that instead of something belonging to our own great fauna such as guar, nix-ox or a silt hopper?

- Redoran Naver Avelas
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on 8 February 2023 21:27
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Natsirt812
    Natsirt812
    ✭✭
    What is the average lifespan of a ordinary Dunmer? And what about other mer? I'm eager to know.

- Sincerely, Llivas Telvayn
    Edited by Natsirt812 on 8 February 2023 21:36
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has House Telvanni always controlled the area surrounding Necrom, or has that land changed hands multiple times throughout history? I get the impression the political map of Morrowind is always shifting, with the different Dunmer Houses enforcing ancestral claims, purchasing or inheriting land, and finding many ways to manipulate their way to the top. What's the history of this so called "Telvanni" Peninsula, in that regard?

- Ash-of-Singing-Flame, Historian
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • CoolBlast3
    CoolBlast3
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Despite most Dunmer's grim, angry and frankly rude demeaners, they've reputation of being rather playfully-flirtatious and a joy in the sheets. Is there any truth to these thoughts? Hopefully, mhm. And if so- does it extend to the Telvanni? Surely a House as unique and power-loving as them have made up interesting ways to play with magic?~

Very much so looking forward to a response,
    - Shadowmage and Undaunted, Alexis Z. Ashwing"

Sources:
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Jokes
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:The_Real_Barenziah_(Daggerfall)
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Rude_Song
    Edited by CoolBlast3 on 8 February 2023 22:13
  • folder_rats
    folder_rats
    Soul Shriven
    Dearest Loremaster,
    Our local scenarists in the Morrowind northeast have made disturbing reports of the necromantic Sload making feudal alliances with Great House Telvanni. In their lands, they say, lies the terrible Skyport of Subo-Lathla, where Thrassian airships, called Sload Floaters, seemingly make trade in corpses. It is of upmost importance to our Monster Watch Grid network that its exact location and purpose be identified... Please reply soonest with your findings.

Prescient thanks,
    Scenarist Guild Citadel
  • OrphanStar93
    OrphanStar93
    Soul Shriven
    I noticed that the Telvanni sorcerers are often surrounded themselves with foreign talented craftsmen and fearsome bodyguards.
    How can an outlander like me be recruited by a Telvanni wizard?
    Edited by OrphanStar93 on 8 February 2023 22:37
  • Vinovin15
    Vinovin15
    ✭✭✭
    I know that Dunmer inter their remains in ancestral family tombs, or in a city of the dead like Necrom, where they can later be summoned to communicate with their descendants. But do non-Dunmer people who, say...got married into a Dunmer House, be also afforded these privileges, and also communicate with their descendants even though they are not Dunmer themselves? Hypothetical question, of course, n-not like I intend to get married! Yet.

Um...Thanks!
    -Benessa Gibby
  • honeybun
    honeybun
    ✭✭
    Will we get to kill any more Telvanni slave owners this upcoming chapter? That would be poggers, I really enjoyed killing Slavemaster Arenim in the Sadrith Mora quest-line.
  • Legoless
    Legoless
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magister,

My dealings with the Telvanni to date have largely been relegated to Sadrith Mora and other minor holdings on Vvardenfell. Is Necrom the largest Telvanni city on the mainland, or are there other Dark Elven capitals of note that remain outside the Ebonheart Pact?

Honour to your House,
    —Legoless, Tiger-Doyen of the United Explorers of Scholarly Pursuits
  • McMasterx
    McMasterx
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard rumors of a personal form of Teleportation magic among members of House Telvanni known as Mark and Recall. Pray tell, how widespread is this technique inside the Great House?

- Lunalia Alliandris
    Pc/Na