The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should companions be allowed to wear headwear?

• Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/discussion/620001/does-the-community-want-companions-to-be-able-to-wear-helmets-from-costumes-collectables/p1

here's my poll on it if you want to add it to the number of reasons. Your poll is probably better as it includes an indifferent option, but it's still two points of data nonetheless.
    Edited by Dr_Con on 3 February 2023 09:26
  • Treselegant
    Treselegant
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Don't want all options available for them. Like no skins, polymorphs, changing their body markings, etc. They are characters not mannequins.

Exactly so. They are full characters. They need more story/personality content as it is - so I'd prefer if we didn't go down this route.
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    But a helmet is very reasonable. They are in battle.

It can definitely look odd, seeing your tank companion running headlong at a dragon without so much as a hat. They should be able to wear a helmet at least. Though if they do add headwear options I fully expect a barrage of pot wearing companions adding to Tamriel's worst crimes of fashion but it is what it is.

• LunaFlora
    LunaFlora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to use use it, but would feel obligated to do so because of the armor value and buff it provides. They would not provide a "hide helm" so I would be stuck. That is just the way things work out around here. I'd rather not if I can't hide the helm.

they already wear helmets, but they're hidden when worn
    miaow! i'm Luna ( she/her ).

🌸*throws cherry blossom on you*🌸
    "Eagles advance, traveler! And may the Green watch and keep you."
    🦬🦌🐰
    PlayStation and PC EU.
    LunaLolaBlossom on psn.
    LunaFloraBlossom on pc.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    LunaFlora wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to use use it, but would feel obligated to do so because of the armor value and buff it provides. They would not provide a "hide helm" so I would be stuck. That is just the way things work out around here. I'd rather not if I can't hide the helm.

they already wear helmets, but they're hidden when worn

Yeah, I realized that this morning. :disappointed: Tells you how much attention I pay to companion gear.

The core of my message stands, though. I don't want to see a helmet on mine. Don't care about yours, but not mine.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Jammy420
    Jammy420
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Obviously, its a bit annoying having 945840398534890 ember clones everywhere.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    If companions have access to your characters' motifs when making the outfit I don't see why they wouldn't also have access to the hide helmet ''motif'' in the head section.
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    Indifferent
    As I think about it, I hide my characters helmets on all but 1 of my 18 characters, why shouldn't the Companions have that choice? (even if we get to make it for them)
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indifferent
    The poll is meant to address the should, but do we even know if they can to begin with. I've always assumed it wasn't an aesthetic or design decision but a technical one. A better question, before rallying everyone up to some unachievable cause, would be to ask: Is it even possible to have helmets equipped on a companion.
  • Braggar
    Braggar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Hell yes! My companions need hats bad. Or major adornments. I don´t understand, why they can´t wear any?
  • Shihp00
    Shihp00
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    bastian can wear a dress but not a helmet :D
  • DP99
    DP99
    ✭✭✭✭
    Indifferent
    I don't really care one way or another.

I don't show helmets on my own character, and probably wouldn't show it on my companions either, but I wouldn't take it away from those that did want it if it was possible.
  • Jusey1
    Jusey1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes

There's a hide helm option for the player, so I don't see why not do it for the companion as well.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Jusey1 wrote: »

There's a hide helm option for the player, so I don't see why not do it for the companion as well.

The biggest reason why "not to do it" is simply because ZOS decides not to do it.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    jaws343 wrote: »
    The poll is meant to address the should, but do we even know if they can to begin with. I've always assumed it wasn't an aesthetic or design decision but a technical one. A better question, before rallying everyone up to some unachievable cause, would be to ask: Is it even possible to have helmets equipped on a companion.

@jaws343 No, it's by design/aesthetic. The companions do wear headgear and they could make them visible, but ZOS didn't want us to hide their faces. I don't remember the exact words but it was something about not making them some nameless generic follower but to show they are unique characters. It was ridiculous either way. A character doesn't stop being who they are just because they are wearing a helmet.
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!