Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PTS Update 37 - Feedback Thread for Daily/Weekly Reset Timer Updates

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official feedback thread for the updates made to select daily and weekly reset timers. Specific feedback that the team is looking for includes the following:
  • Did you run into any instances where something didn’t reset when you expected it to?
  • Did you notice the change to the Rank 3 Hirelings? If so, what are your thoughts on this change?
  • Do you have any other general feedback?
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on 6 February 2023 19:42
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Copied from other threads.
    Hi @ZOS_GinaBruno,

So if I read these notes correctly, the cooldown timers on mount training, hirelings, remains-silent have converted to a simple daily reset time. Correct? If so, this is awesome.

I'm curious about black sacraments. They have two "reset" times a day. One at the daily reset time and another at around 8pm where the targets switch. Have the reset times for black sacraments also been changed?

Thanks!
    @ZOS_GinaBruno -
    Will Event Tickets be reset at the new time?

If they are, that'll make it extremely difficult for NA players to get tickets on the last partial day - a lot of us stay up late to get those last tickets, until 1am EST in the winter, or 2am EDT in the summer (less late for those who are farther west).

The new reset time is at 5am EST/6am EDT, which is too late to stay up for, and only a few hours before events end at 10am Eastern - plus if there's a system shutdown on that last day, it's not possible to get the tickets before shutdown, and we never really know when the system will be back up again. (I really wish shutdowns could be completely avoided the night before an event is ending.)

I'd appreciate knowing as soon as possible, regardless - I'd have to make changes to my Event Tracker addon if Event Tickets are affected. Thanks!
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • Silverfaerie
    Silverfaerie
    ✭✭✭
    please make those resets happen at the same time for both servers. having them at a separate time may seem like you are trying to accommodate the players on either server, but in reality - it makes it more difficult for people who play on both servers on the same account.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Confirming the reset time for Black Sacraments and Event Tickets is not changing with this update. It's only the things listed in the patch notes. :)
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Are the luxury furnisher and golden vendor now in sync (i.e. on a UTC spawn timer)? Because they desync every time winter-time sets in, and spawn at the same time during summer-time.

During the Winter, the luxury furnisher always spawns one hour after the golden vendor. Don't know why, but it would be cool if those could be unified as well.
  • PeacefulAnarchy
    PeacefulAnarchy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of these changes are great, especially the hireling change even if it reduces my sweaty advantage of tracking hireling timers and logging in in the morning and night to get both. It makes the quality of my real life better.

Not happy about the daily endeavour change as someone who plays on both NA and EU. Daily reward change was annoying, but it's only a minute to log in and out. Endeavors can take a bit longer and this makes it much harder to balance both servers at a time I like rather than a time that will work for endeavors.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about the gladiator dailies in pvp do we still have to wait 20 hours to open the box to get the gladiator proof?
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
  • maximusrex45
    maximusrex45
    ✭✭✭✭
    please make those resets happen at the same time for both servers. having them at a separate time may seem like you are trying to accommodate the players on either server, but in reality - it makes it more difficult for people who play on both servers on the same account.

It does better accommodate players local to the server, that is an absolute fact. If you are part of very tiny minority that play on both servers just log in after the later reset time and you are golden.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about cooldowns for motifs in coffers?
  • Silverfaerie
    Silverfaerie
    ✭✭✭

It does better accommodate players local to the server, that is an absolute fact. If you are part of very tiny minority that play on both servers just log in after the later reset time and you are golden.

how though. it doesn't really matter what time the reset is, since you still get 24 hours to do the thing. it does however matter when you either end up logging in twice or your time has just shrunk from 24 hours to about 16.

I'm not nearly as tiny of a minority as you think
  • Kelinmiriel
    Kelinmiriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play on both servers too. It's going to be easier for me to have endeavors reset at different times, because if I don't have them finished on both servers before reset right now, sometimes I have to prioritize and decide who doesn't get theirs done.

This is going to be a mess for addon authors, but it's going to be a lot easier for players in the end.

Although I have to wonder about
    [...] It's only the things listed in the patch notes. :)

... when the patch notes include "...A variety of other miscellaneous items..."

(which is why I asked about Event Tickets.) Anyway, thanks for the answer!

Would also like to know about coffer timers. I might be able to test that one.

Event Tracker addon (PC NA/EU)
    Helps you keep track of your Event Tickets, so you don't miss any. Double XP on events is PASSIVE now!!
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good changes, thanks
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • robertlabrie
    robertlabrie
    ✭✭✭
    The hireling change is great news, it means I'll actually get the benefits from it since I wasn't logging in 2x a day before. Does the daily reset include the daily crafting writs? I'm guessing it does. It means you're resetting now right in the middle of my run :(
  • tomfant
    tomfant
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's an awesome QoL improvement. Thanks a ton!
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On reset times I think using the local time of the region where the server is based is the right call. Giving Europeans, for example, times designed for Americans would be utterly bizarre and not obviously beneficial except to a small niche of players. Instinctively, one would expect timers to reset at some point that comes overnight in the real world where one is playing. Not to have to memorise when it is night on the other side of the ocean.
    Edited by Northwold on 31 January 2023 12:31
  • agelonestar
    agelonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really is a great QoL change.

I can't wait to test it out.

Does anyone know, does the change affect the daily quests in Imperial City? Am wondering if the Siege of Cyrodiil Merit is now daily or if it still has a cooldown ?
    GM of Sunfire's Sect trading guild on PC/EU. All that is gold does not glitter; not all those who wander are lost...... some of us are just looking for trouble.
    GM of Sunfire's Sect (Open) & Dark Star Rising (Priv) | Retired GM of several trade guilds | Trader | Here since the beta
  • Heartrage
    Heartrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People that play on both servers are, most likely, a very small minority. They should reset on times that will be convenient for most of the players of the servers.

That said, I’m really happy that we finally have a unified reset.
  • maximusrex45
    maximusrex45
    ✭✭✭✭
    how though. it doesn't really matter what time the reset is, since you still get 24 hours to do the thing. it does however matter when you either end up logging in twice or your time has just shrunk from 24 hours to about 16.

It absolutely does matter, the old reset for log in rewards was at 4pm on my local regional server. If I played in the morning one day and couldn't get on until the evening the next I would miss a day even though I played every day. Now daily rewards reset for me at 2am Local time and I don't miss them because they line up to the actual calendar day. This is by far the best way to do it for the vast majority of players.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It absolutely does matter, the old reset for log in rewards was at 4pm on my local regional server. If I played in the morning one day and couldn't get on until the evening the next I would miss a day even though I played every day. Now daily rewards reset for me at 2am Local time and I don't miss them because they line up to the actual calendar day. This is by far the best way to do it for the vast majority of players.

I agree. Reset times do matter.

Despite trying to group the reset times at 5am or 4am locale times for the majority of players (NA - Eastern and Central European time), NA will be penalized slightly more because the scheduled maintenance falls near the reset time and usually lasts 4 hours to 6 hours. This means if they will have fewer morning play sessions available before work / school / whatever.

In my opinion reset periods are best near the end of primetime playing times not off-peak periods. This allows you to catch up on dailies and checkoff some dailies before doing group content the next day.

For example, I can do group content until 10pm local time. I can collect any dailies in want to do before 11pm when dailies/pledges/writs/endeavors currently reset. I can do old dailies collected then get the new ones and do them after 11pm and before midnight. During the next day's primetime gaming session I can focus on the group content when more people are available and then repeat the cycle.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is going to be a mess for addon authors, but it's going to be a lot easier for players in the end.
    If the addon makers don't play anymore, a bunch of useful addons will break.

Also, any content creators that have created special features will have to update their tools and lose more real estate on the page.

For example, I have a pledge calculator that already tracks two sets of pledges (PC and Console) because of the delays between DLC live dates. This will double to four sets of pledges (PC NA / Consoles NA and PC EU / Consoles EU).
  • erdbeerheld
    erdbeerheld
    ✭✭✭
    I would prefer for the weekly resets to happen on Monday (early morning, 3am/10am UTC), instead of Sunday. It is a bit odd, that the new week would start on Sunday.
    Edited by erdbeerheld on 1 February 2023 10:17
  • simox
    simox
    ✭✭✭
    Love this change.
  • Kelinmiriel
    Kelinmiriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, reset times DO matter, and a big reason this is going to impact the servers differently, is because the new reset times are different for NA and EU, but shutdown times (as far as we know) are still going to be the same for both servers.

So EU people will have many hours both before and after shutdown to do their dailies, while NA people will not.

Some people were in the habit before, of doing certain things right around the times things flipped, to take advantage of both before and after. That really doesn't work any more. It does make it more likely to get on at some point during the day, since reset is in the middle of the night (or at least that's obviously the idea; it's not possible to hit "middle of the night" for everywhere in the world, with only two servers).

@BenevolentBowd - The 7pm EST Black Sacrament flip is happening as usual on the PTS. I just checked it.
    Helps you keep track of your Event Tickets, so you don't miss any. Double XP on events is PASSIVE now!!
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

If they are, that'll make it extremely difficult for NA players to get tickets on the last partial day - a lot of us stay up late to get those last tickets, until 1am EST in the winter, or 2am EDT in the summer (less late for those who are farther west).

The new reset time is at 5am EST/6am EDT, which is too late to stay up for, and only a few hours before events end at 10am Eastern - plus if there's a system shutdown on that last day, it's not possible to get the tickets before shutdown, and we never really know when the system will be back up again. (I really wish shutdowns could be completely avoided the night before an event is ending.)

I'd appreciate knowing as soon as possible, regardless - I'd have to make changes to my Event Tracker addon if Event Tickets are affected. Thanks!
    This is a major concern for those of us on the NA server.

I work nights, so it's easy for me to get those last handful of tickets before I go to bed. It's much less easy to get them in the morning before the event switch. If this time is changed, that leaves the entirety of the NA server only 4 or 5 hours to get that last set of tickets.

I know ZOS's stance has traditionally been that they don't count the partial day tickets, but they have started doing that recently. For example, the news article for the Elsweyr event says that "you can earn up to 26 Event Tickets during this event," which leads to 13 days, including the partial days at the beginning and end.

If the timers are to be changing, can events also start and end at the reset as well? This would also allow for more equal treatment among players if the reset and event have the same start time as certain players may not be available for the few hours between them and would not be able to get tickets.
  • AdamLAD
    AdamLAD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not hireling related, but on the daily writs when you get an enchanter survey. I do genuinely think you should be guaranteed 1 kuta.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_GinaBruno -

The obvious solution, although not the best solution, is for the events to start and end at the reset time, rather than at 10am ET.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Confirming the reset time for Black Sacraments and Event Tickets is not changing with this update. It's only the things listed in the patch notes. :)

@ZOS_GinaBruno Can you check for any undocumented changes to the Black Sacraments?

The sacrament quest schedule has changed on PTS. At 1AM ET, the sacraments on PTS and Live were different. Live rotation changed according to my sacrament rotation, but PTS didn't.

Currently on live, sacraments have a complex rotation between 3 locations once per day and two sets of targets per day. @Kelinmiriel confirmed the 7pm secondary target rotation. However, when I checked the location rotation change time on PTS, the sacrament didn't change. I compared the PTS sacrament to the Live server and Live changed location and targets as accordingly to its documented schedule.

• TybaltKaine
    TybaltKaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would prefer for the weekly resets to happen on Monday (early morning, 3am/10am UTC), instead of Sunday. It is a bit odd, that the new week would start on Sunday.

I guess? I mean Sunday is the start of a calendar week though.
    • Tybalt Kaine Khajiit Nightblade Aldmeri Dominion
    • PC/NA
    • Guildmaster- Lucky Raven
    • Knight of Marrow - Blackfeather Academy
    • Adepti- The Witches Goblet
    • Dragon Frog - Butterscotch Dragon Frog
    • Trader- Tamriel Trade Secrets
    • "Nightblade healer huh? How does that work?"
    • "I drain the blood of our enemies and fire it into you. It's a lot less messy than it sounds, and yeah I'm basically a Vampire without the whole AGH FIRE BAD"
  • terry2040
    terry2040
    ✭✭✭

But getting event ticket is mostly tie to completing daily quest.

Using current Elsweyr event as example, new daily is available at 2am EST, even ticket resets at 2am EST, last day event ends at 10am EST. So we have 8hrs.

With the timing changes, new daily becomes available at 6am EST, event ticket resets remaining the same at 2am EST, last day event ends at 10am EST.

So for the purpose of getting event ticket, we still have to wait until the new daily becomes available in order to complete it and get the ticket, whick means 6am, and now we only left with 4hrs to do so, am I not mistaken?

And not just event tickets, this would apply to all event special gold coffers that tie to daily quest, like the coffer from completing arena in Witch Festival, etc. Probably extend the event ending time to 2pm EST so at least we have the same available hrs and chance as of now to complete it?

Btw, I am all for an unified time, but why 6am EST, why not all changed to 2am EST?
    Edited by terry2040 on 7 February 2023 02:49
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that event tickets don't seem to have changed is just adding more confusion since many events give tickets for the dailies.

I am all for unifying reset timers, but passing off the 'difficulty of getting the last day tickets' issue from EU to NA doesn't seem to be the answer. That ends up making it even more confusing.

I'd like to see two things here:
    • Event tickets should reset with the daily reset as well
    • Events should start and end on the daily reset

If those were done, it would take away all complaints about "half days." We could ensure all servers get the full day for each possible ticket, and then there would be no confusion on when to turn in dailies to maximize tickets.
  • Kelinmiriel
    Kelinmiriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well, for everyone complaining that event ticket time isn't changing (as @ZOS_GinaBruno said it wouldn't) - guess what. Event tickets are resetting at the new reset time also.

Also, Black Sacrament dailies changed too, although I don't see a big problem with that.

The problem with event ticket reset changing is that the new reset time is very different between the EU and the NA. For the EU, they'll have MORE time to get those last tickets. For the NA, staying up late to get the last tickets won't be an option for most of us, as the new reset time is at 5am EST/6am EDT (2am PST/3am PDT) - four hours later than it is now.

Also, when there's a server shutdown the night before the end of an event, it'll likely be completely impossible for NA people to get the last tickets, as the new NA reset time is 1-2 hours after shutdown, so all we would have is the narrow window after the servers are back up, before the event ends - which is sometimes no window at all. (Like the end of Season of the Dragon, when the EU server was down, and didn't come back up until after the end of the event. Anyone planning to get their tickets after the servers were back up, missed them.)

Changing the starting/ending time of events would make a difference - but we won't know if that'd actually happen until an event is live, since events on the PTS start during its Monday shutdown. (And also, unless the timing of events is changed, we'd lose tickets. Currently we usually have the opportunity to get 26 or 39, most events.)

If events start and end at the new reset time, and run Thursday-Thursday instead of Thursday-Tuesday, that'd work. Plus we'd have a lot less shutdowns on the last night.