Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Post Your (Orc) Chieftains and Berserkers Thread

• Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    these bois look ready to raid breton lands
    Edited by Aliyavana on 1 August 2022 21:16
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it is odd. There is more to orsimer than just berserkers and chieftains. A lot more. Elder Scrolls orsimer are well implemented race in the setting with an unique lore to them and not the slightest lame in my opinion. Tropes aren't always bad either, far from, and who decides if an elf is different or not? Elves and creatures similar to them exist in numerous myths and folklore and they vary a lot.

I actually like tropes. I think they tend to be overly-maligned.
    How can someone even determine an orc is a chieftain or not?

That's a great question for a creative screenshot thread, imv.
    Think too few people dress up their orcs in clothes and armour that honours Malacath and his code.

I love the idea of leaning into that.

I think you're being oddly critical.

btw, your orcs look awesome.
    Edited by Supreme_Atromancer on 2 August 2022 02:21
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am LOVING this thread!
  • Urzigurumash
    Urzigurumash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wood Orc, 5 Star StamDK, Main since launch, Malacath chest and legs since Wrothgar patch

8kegy3vzp0o3.png

Valenwood Meditations

j1aywni5gl7j.png
    Xbox NA AD / Day 1 ScrubDK / Wood Orc Cuisine Enthusiast
  • Runkorko
    Runkorko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rremove upper post pls /sorry

k5KDEFv.png

mzXQNBi.png
  • bodge2372
    bodge2372
    ✭✭✭
    This is one of my Orcs. While not a Chief or a berserker, he does have a big sword for chopping people up. See if you can guess what class he is..... Nek-gro-Mansa.png
  • Runkorko
    Runkorko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bodge2372 wrote: »
    This is one of my Orcs. While not a Chief or a berserker, he does have a big sword for chopping people up. See if you can guess what class he is..... Nek-gro-Mansa.png

NB
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you'd want THIS MMORPG to fail? Where people are BEYOND creative?

Ah, such tusking savages! Such brutes!

Ahem, to quote Ambassador Rigurt: My eyes are round with wonderment!
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:
    >>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow

>>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

>>a skill line - a guild having this - to enable us to increase % gold gain for donating Ornate gear (another gold sink in order to gain more pennies - but over time it would pay off)

II.Overland Mechanics
    >>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)

>>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)

>>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development --> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/594079/idea-craft-cp-sub-tree-ideas-constant-wip#latest

III.Replayable content in overland
    >>dynamic pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince, something like Oblivion rifts in Blackwood / the Deadlands

IV.Geography
    >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

V.Other
    (the ideas are also inspired by other Forum Users' posts)
    >>pet battles! We collect SO MANY pets, and yet there are just a cosmetic. What a HUGE potential lies within those tiny beats!

>>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.

>>possibility to dye barding

>>possibility to switch UI between guild bank<-->bank<-->guild trader

>>display the dialogue options so that we can see which answer the NPC is reacting to

>>a way to make Overland more challenging - for those who want
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do Bow-serkers count?
    Wanted to show something besides Black Drake outfits, and I think Wayward Guardian is a great fit for Orcs, often finding themselves cast out to Dwemer ruins in Tamriel's northern provinces.

yV1cPXJ.png

spartaxoxo wrote: »
    What's wrong with the way ESO differentiates it's Orcs? I think it's kinda cool that Orcs aren't one note in this game.

It feels contrived for the sake of being "different". As if it were following a formula for being cool, and in doing so, missing the chemistry. When its done well, its integrated and organic, and seems to fit into the story. When its just a random "kimono on an orc", it just feels like a cheesy "combine 2 random things!"

Its the same with the Stags of Z'en thing. Like they went "you know what was cool in Morrowind? Insect armour! Let's do that!" when the original was integrated into the world, cool, unique, but believable, fit the tone and engineered right into the world.

I'm unsure why you bring up kimonos. The Orc garb seen in Wrothgar is inspired by Mongolian and Himalayan (e.g. Tibetan) designs, which fits both some clans' nomadic herding culture centered around Echateres, as well as the geography of the place. Orcs in other parts of Tamriel have different styles, precisely because of the materials they have to work with in their given environment and their mode of subsistence.

Of course you could argue that anything inspired by real-world cultures is boring, but then you'd have to axe most of Tamriel's cultures. Except Dunmer of course, Dunmer rock.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    bodge2372 wrote: »
    See if you can guess what class he is.....

Necro

Sincerely,
    Capt. Ob-Veeyus

Edited by Grizzbeorn on 2 August 2022 14:26
      PC/NA Warden Main
    • Nomadic_Atmoran
      Nomadic_Atmoran
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Im loving these submissions! The creativity is very inspiring.
      Edited by Nomadic_Atmoran on 2 August 2022 14:08
      Penniless Sellsword Company
      Captain Paramount Jorrhaq Vhent
      Korith Eaglecry - Laerinel Rhaev - Enrerion - Caius Berilius - Seylina Ithvala - Signa Squallrider - H'Vak the Grimjawl
      Yynril Rothvani - Tenarei Rhaev - Bathes-In-Coin - Dazsh Ro Khar - Aredyhel - Reads-To-Frogs - Azjani Ma'Les
      Kheshna gra-Gharbuk - Gallisten Bondurant - Aban Shahid Bakr - Etain Maquier - Atsu Kalame - Faulpia Severinus
    • emilyhyoyeon
      emilyhyoyeon
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      H'Vak the Grimjawl of the Fahkrull Clan. Fahkrull Clan is notorious through out Wrothgar, High Rock and the North for their bloodlusted berserkers, blood magic, human sacrifices to Malacath and propensity for necromancy.
      llxrb0iitdfo.jpg
      524crlh8nwtl.jpg
      6xm9o0bau4ks.jpg
      r4k6nuzcuapi.jpg

love the backstory for your character and the screenshots, I love nicely decorated houses

I have one orsimer oc named Dokkga gra-Shatgom who fits the berserker style but I've never made her in ESO yet
      Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
      Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
    • MikeSkyrim333
      MikeSkyrim333
      ✭✭✭✭
      daf2uqqk6mfq.png
      9y9571qal0ri.png
    • NotaDaedraWorshipper
      NotaDaedraWorshipper
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you're being oddly critical.
      I simply made a casual comment where I said my thoughts that it was oddly specific, which it kinda is. Then replied to replies of said short comment that claimed that I was "controverisal" and stuff. I found the repies I got more critical and seeing things that wasn't there, but if it makes me appear critical then I suppose that's what I am. ¯\_(ツ)_/
      btw, your orcs look awesome.
      Thank you. My characters have backgrounds and such, being a massive roleplay nerd and proud of it, it's mandatory for me. But I usually don't share them much, even less so on things like the forum. Not really sure why.

Yours is nice too.
      Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on 2 August 2022 19:41
      [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
    • Supreme_Atromancer
      Supreme_Atromancer
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Faulgor wrote: »
      What's wrong with the way ESO differentiates it's Orcs? I think it's kinda cool that Orcs aren't one note in this game.

It feels contrived for the sake of being "different". As if it were following a formula for being cool, and in doing so, missing the chemistry. When its done well, its integrated and organic, and seems to fit into the story. When its just a random "kimono on an orc", it just feels like a cheesy "combine 2 random things!"

Its the same with the Stags of Z'en thing. Like they went "you know what was cool in Morrowind? Insect armour! Let's do that!" when the original was integrated into the world, cool, unique, but believable, fit the tone and engineered right into the world.

I'm unsure why you bring up kimonos. The Orc garb seen in Wrothgar is inspired by Mongolian and Himalayan (e.g. Tibetan) designs, which fits both some clans' nomadic herding culture centered around Echateres, as well as the geography of the place. Orcs in other parts of Tamriel have different styles, precisely because of the materials they have to work with in their given environment and their mode of subsistence.

Of course you could argue that anything inspired by real-world cultures is boring, but then you'd have to axe most of Tamriel's cultures. Except Dunmer of course, Dunmer rock.

It looked like tradtional east-Asian garb to me, and I didn't know a better description. But I see that you're absolutely right. The traditional name for the garb is "Deel".

I actually think that real-world inspirations are really cool, and agree that Mongolian stuff could be a great inspiration for nomadic orcs living in a cold, mountainous environment.

In my defence, none of the elements that really typify what you're talking about (and tell the most story) "Mongolian", "Nomadic Herder" "Echatere hunter" "Mountain geography" are apparent in the costume(s). Its stripped of any of the functional elements that might ground it, leaving only the "stylish", "classy" and "elegant" elements. And then those elements aren't integrated, but contrast drastically when juxtaposed upon the earthy, functional, heavy and practical style with geometric lines and stylised skulls established for the same expansion.

Some people will like the contrast, or look past how they're integrated. I don't want to crap on anyone's thoughts or anything, just explaining my original comment.
      Edited by Supreme_Atromancer on 3 August 2022 03:41
    • Faulgor
      Faulgor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

It looked like tradtional east-Asian garb to me, and I didn't know a better description. But I see that you're absolutely right. The traditional name for the garb is "Deel".

I actually think that real-world inspirations are really cool, and agree that Mongolian stuff could be a great inspiration for nomadic orcs living in a cold, mountainous environment.

In my defence, none of the elements that really typify what you're talking about (and tell the most story) "Mongolian", "Nomadic Herder" "Echatere hunter" "Mountain geography" are apparent in the costume(s). Its stripped of any of the functional elements that might ground it, leaving only the "stylish", "classy" and "elegant" elements. And then those elements aren't integrated, but contrast drastically when juxtaposed upon the earthy, functional, heavy and practical style with geometric lines and stylised skulls established for the same expansion.

Some people will like the contrast, or look past how they're integrated. I don't want to crap on anyone's thoughts or anything, just explaining my original comment.

While Wrothgar is definitely my favorite zone in the game, it's also pretty clear that ZOS' world-building isn't as strong as Bethesda's, for example. They just can't fit the whole depth of a culture into a single DLC.
      So you're absolutely right that the connection between the styles and their culture isn't as strong as it was in say, TES3 (also really miss the Orcish armor style from that game, which seemed comparatively ornate to what one might consider a rustic, generic "orcish" approach we saw in TES5, instead underlining their proficiency as crafters - TES4's Orcish armor fits kind of inbetween, and you can see a Mongolian influence there already).

In the case of Wrothgar, I think what happened was that they wanted to have elements of the Trinimac-worshipping, more "cultured" city Orcs and the rural chiefdoms, and the Deel (thanks for that word!) ended up as a mish-mash. That doesn't leave you with a strong identity, but that's what happens when you want to put too much "culture" into too little content.

Nevertheless, I think TES Orcs are kinda neat, at least in the lore.
      Edited by Faulgor on 3 August 2022 04:04
      Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
      Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
    • TinyDragon
      TinyDragon
      ✭✭✭
      I have to say I love these orcs!

I also don't particularly like the Orcish clothing. It feels sort of silly to me, that these tough Orcs would be wearing such fancy silks with the details they have. I'd have preferred seeing some options that leaned into the shaman sort of Orc, or the practice sort, instead of so refined.

I didn't know it was meant to be Mongolian, so that's sort of interesting!
    • Supreme_Atromancer
      Supreme_Atromancer
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      mz3lzl245eml.jpg

This guy from the Skyrim loadscreen is the most badass barbarian-y orc ever.

While Wrothgar is definitely my favorite zone in the game, it's also pretty clear that ZOS' world-building isn't as strong as Bethesda's, for example. They just can't fit the whole depth of a culture into a single DLC.
      So you're absolutely right that the connection between the styles and their culture isn't as strong as it was in say, TES3 (also really miss the Orcish armor style from that game, which seemed comparatively ornate to what one might consider a rustic, generic "orcish" approach we saw in TES5, instead underlining their proficiency as crafters - TES4's Orcish armor fits kind of inbetween, and you can see a Mongolian influence there already).

In the case of Wrothgar, I think what happened was that they wanted to have elements of the Trinimac-worshipping, more "cultured" city Orcs and the rural chiefdoms, and the Deel (thanks for that word!) ended up as a mish-mash. That doesn't leave you with a strong identity, but that's what happens when you want to put too much "culture" into too little content.

Pretty much agree with everything you said. I'll also need to take a closer look at tes4's orcish armour.
      Edited by Supreme_Atromancer on 4 August 2022 03:18
    • Nomadic_Atmoran
      Nomadic_Atmoran
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      mz3lzl245eml.jpg

This guy from the Skyrim loadscreen is the most badass barbarian-y orc ever.

Pretty much agree with everything you said. I'll also need to take a closer look at tes4's orcish armour.

I absolutely love the amount of variety you can have between what we see players creating with their own characters and what ZOS/Bethesda has created. I'm not a big fan of the city Orc clothes myself but I appreciate that its there and that it gives the Orsimer another layer to their established culture. It makes for an interesting dynamic within the Orcish society and it establishes that not everyone is in favor of such a monolithic society.
      Penniless Sellsword Company
      Captain Paramount Jorrhaq Vhent
      Korith Eaglecry - Laerinel Rhaev - Enrerion - Caius Berilius - Seylina Ithvala - Signa Squallrider - H'Vak the Grimjawl
      Yynril Rothvani - Tenarei Rhaev - Bathes-In-Coin - Dazsh Ro Khar - Aredyhel - Reads-To-Frogs - Azjani Ma'Les
      Kheshna gra-Gharbuk - Gallisten Bondurant - Aban Shahid Bakr - Etain Maquier - Atsu Kalame - Faulpia Severinus
    • ZOS_Hadeostry
      Greetings,

After further review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic.

Thank you for your understanding
      Staff Post
    • Niliga
      Niliga
      ✭✭
      Here is mine :)
      yn0btsaj6chg.jpg
      khqr8r9ntyfb.jpg
    • colossalvoids
      colossalvoids
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭